closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exit watch £4k

Master
    Just an update here for those who read this and kindly replied

I ended up buying a BB58 black and have been very happy with it, looking to add to it so a 2 watch rotation with one being a more dressy watch.

Anyone recommend a Longines Chronograph or maybe the Sinn mentioned above would be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Pelagos 39. One and done
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’m with Ryan here, I’m tempted my self with one of these then calling it a day, I’m never going to spend £8k on a Rolex 14060M (what I’d really like) any more but those Pelagos 39 look superb.
    Having just picked one up I’m inclined to agree.

Edit: Sorry, OP, just realised that I’m a bit late to the party.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th February 2023 at 09:54.

Master
    Used standard speedy pro. If I did it all again it would be this plus a relatively cheap diver for hols.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I love the Moonwatch, have owned 2. Always missed having the date though, and it was a tad big. Also would have preferred better WR.

Have now acquired (have to wait until Christmas for it) a 3220 Speedy Triple date. Admittedly it doesn't have the purity of the Moon, but it's the perfect size for me, as lots of dates, and 100m WR. Happy days!

I think it will be a long-termer for me, along with my 16610. I will focus flipping on cheapies!

One of these:

How are you finding this? Keep seeing these along with some co-axial which has gotten me thinking about them, they are just bigger than a reduced?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Not a problem better to be late then not at all.

I'm late... but my vote would of course go to the Explorer 1.

BB58 is a great shout in that price bracket though, potentially an unbeatable shout for the money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    How are you finding this? Keep seeing these along with some co-axial which has gotten me thinking about them, they are just bigger than a reduced?

I have a triple date, the 1220. 39mm, but quite chunky, feels more substantial than the Reduced (which I always found a bit small).

Nice size for me, at any rate.

Craftsman
    One watch, a speedy Pro or a SMP300 or A Rolex Explorer 39mm mk2.

If you buy a Tudor it won't be that one watch you WILL sell it and always want a better watch imo, I really dislike the brand, people say value but they feel cheap to me, the shapes not nice, they don't sit well etc etc and yes I have owned one and yes I did sell it at a big loss. Horrible things, people say they don't like the term "poor mans Rolex" but they really are a "poor mans Rolex" and feel it to me. They are owned by Rolex so they are that "poor mans Rolex" is what it is.
    SMP300 is a great watch in any era so good in fact I have 3 from 3 different era's.

And I love the Rolex 39MM Explorer mk2 over an OP which are entry level looks and feel. Explorer is a much nicer watch and 39mm mk2 is a great piece not the new 41mm which is too big now for an OP imo.

Bomb proof luxury, buy a no date 41mm Sub but a tad more money I guess.

I see the OP bought a Tudor and now going from a 1 watch exit watch to already looking for a 2nd lol ! Don;t buy another cheap watch ! sell the Tudor or return it, buy a 39mm Explorer mk2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

If you buy a Tudor it won't be that one watch you WILL sell it and always want a better watch imo, I really dislike the brand, people say value but they feel cheap to me, the shapes not nice, they don't sit well etc etc and yes I have owned one and yes I did sell it at a big loss. Horrible things, people say they don't like the term "poor mans Rolex" but they really are a "poor mans Rolex" and feel it to me. They are owned by Rolex so they are that "poor mans Rolex" is what it is.
    SMP300 is a great watch in any era so good in fact I have 3 from 3 different era's.

And I love the Rolex 39MM Explorer mk2 over an OP which are entry level looks and feel. Explorer is a much nicer watch and 39mm mk2 is a great piece not the new 41mm which is too big now for an OP imo.

I see the OP bought a Tudor and now going from a 1 watch exit watch to already looking for a 2nd lol ! Don;t buy another cheap watch ! sell the Tudor or return it, buy a 39mm Explorer mk2.
    Ever owned a Rolex 5513 or a 14060M? I can assure you they feel cheaper in the hand and on the wrist than a BB58. Your comment comes across as completely moronic I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Ever owned a Rolex 5513 or a 14060M? I can assure you they feel cheaper in the hand and on the wrist than a BB58. Your comment comes across as completely moronic I’m afraid.
    Perhaps I wouldn't go that far but I certainly agree that the BB58 feels more solid than the rattly pre-ceramic 5 digit Rolex sports watches. I tried a 16610 on a while ago and it genuinely felt unsubstantial and ordinary compared to the 6 digits.

There may be something to the idea of holding off if you really want a Rolex though. I'm in a position where, due to other commitments, I simply can't afford a Rolex yet but I can get a BB58 (and actually did over Xmas but it went back for a full refund as it had damage to the bezel that wasn't disclosed).

I'm now sitting tight and waiting to meet some financial goals before I consider buying another watch. It'll most likely be the Rolex I want (OP39/41 or Sub).

I’m perhaps slightly jaded at that kind of stock response, having bought and owned - and flipped - the majority of 5 digit grail Rolex sports models when they were readily available at RRP, which was far less comparatively than they cost today. Trust me, I wasn’t wealthy at the time! They got flipped as they were ultimately a bit boring, but more to the point I owned them without this weird modern veneer of scarcity and climbing values. Whisper it, but they weren’t all that special. A months salary for a 21 year old in an average London job special - yes. But no point getting misty eyed imho!

Master

Another vote for the Pelagos 39. I’ve worn mine about 90% of the time since I got it in November.

Master

OP41 is actually 39.5mm

Craftsman
    Not sure what these two watches have to do with anything I have stated or the op has bought. Both the Rolex wear nicer and thinner than the bb offering though.

Master

Exit watch £4k

So as an update to this thread.

I had purchased the BB58 late last month from RAFF on here, super happy with the watch etc.

Been searching for a Speedy a couple I missed out on due to timings etc which is fine but then couldn't stop looking at other watches and having already own one I thought lets just see what other nice period styled chronographs are out there. After a lot of searching and back and forth with the Hanhart site I decided to get one, kept revisiting the website and others about the 417 ES.

Just waiting until one showed up but noticed there is a UK dealer for them so gave them a call this week, they didn't have any new in and wasn't sure on when stock would arrive but have a preowned one that had came in the other week but hadn't gotten to getting photos and putting it on their site. So after an email exchange and little more off their asking price the deal was done and it has arrived today. So with just under the £4k budget I had set I have 2 watches which I feel will cover my needs and bases going forward. (but we all know how this story goes, so watch this space.)

2 very nice, very different watches for what is sensible money in these crazy times - well done!

That’s a fine outcome.

Master
    2 very nice, very different watches for what is sensible money in these crazy times - well done!
    Yes indeed, funny how things turn out sometimes. Very pleased with these 2

That’s a fine outcome.
    I feel they cover a wide range of bases for my wearing and usage.

Many thanks to all who have commented and also made suggestions!

Ignore - just caught up with the thread…

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Good shout and I did consider this but even now getting one at rrp is tricky.
    Last edited by Jack83; 25th February 2023 at 22:58.

Master

Absolutely spot on, the BB58 has been flipped and so back on the hunt!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s all subjective but I’d say if the speedy is on your radar as a contender you should probably go with that.. all time classic, first watch on the moon.. and probably always going to be advertised and in shops in the future. Can a classic watch that’s always available age?
    Personally I don’t think i could make it a one watch watch but with a seamaster as well definitely a two watch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Exit, schmexit. You’re a lifer.

Blog Entries

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Welcome to the Hotel California
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Had a ceramic submariner date - that should have been it. Sold.

Switched to a 39mm Explorer Mk2. Brilliant watch but it’s gone.

I’m now thoroughly in the 36mm-38mm range. I’ve tried to have chronographs - I like the idea and the complication but none of them survive.

Pelagos (no date) is a strong option or, whisper it, a pre ceramic no date submariner… and around I go!

Good luck.

If British, anything from Pinion take your fancy? There’s Bremont of course though maybe let’s not open that can of worms!

For me, one watch, do anything it would probably be a Sinn.

Master
    Not just looking at British now looking at all.

Seeming to be leaning towards a Omega Seamaster but wanting to ensure that this is it

Master
    If you have the wrist for one I’d suggest a Panerai. I like the PAM 321/320 as I find it has the most ‘panerai’ without spending mega bucks 321 if you dig a power reserve 320 if you want it hidden on the movement.
    They are chunky things but are total strap monsters and can be dressed up or down accordingly.
    Not subtle though, which is probably a minus point for many.
    They aren’t for everyone but I adore mine and have an ever increasing selection of straps to go with it.

Grand Master
    Owning only one watch when you could own a few seems a daft idea to me, why do folks see it as an admirable aspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Owning only one watch when you could own a few seems a daft idea to me, why do folks see it as an admirable aspiration?
    Agreed especially on a watch forum it does seem a little silly, I guess it’s probably just a way of kicking the habit similar to an ex alcoholic who can’t touch a single drink

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Agreed especially on a watch forum it does seem a little silly, I guess it’s probably just a way of kicking the habit similar to an ex alcoholic who can’t touch a single drink
    Historically, the 'exit watch' strategy is a false flag.........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Historically, the 'exit watch' strategy is a false flag.........
    True but gives hope.

Have upped my budget to £6k now

Master
    Blog Entries

Lol, that’s the spirt ….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Lol, that’s the spirt ….
    Thanks, so can be a vintage or modern, but I want to be able to swim etc too

Not a thick watch, no common brands, happy for a unique or just well made that will stand the test of time

Exit watch £4k

True but gives hope.

You could get a couple of nice pieces for that money. 2 exit watches perhaps?

What about something classic, and factor in a full manufacturer refurb?
    You cut out all the marketing guff and big boxes lark.

I just did this with an IWC Aquatimer GST (Ti version). Basically I have a new, fairly exclusive watch now at less than I could get a fairly decent one from the usual online vendors.
    All within your budget, just.

I could actually exit with that one if I wanted to.
    But I don’t
    Surely you don’t, really? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 19th December 2023 at 20:34.

Journeyman
    My 2 cents - easy recommendations would be Everest, Speedy but how about something dressier from Cartier.

That Zenith 384 on SC is nice

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    You could get a couple of nice pieces for that money. 2 exit watches perhaps?

What about something classic, and factor in a full manufacturer refurb?
    You cut out all the marketing guff and big boxes lark.

I just did this with an IWC Aquatimer GST (Ti version). Basically I have a new, fairly exclusive watch now at less than I could get a fairly decent one from the usual online vendors.
    All within your budget, just.

I could actually exit with that one if I wanted to.
    But I don’t
    Surely you don’t, really? :)

I like that very much, would of been on the cards for sure, but I have just taken delivery of the GO SeaQ in black, super happy with the watch, built like a tank but very subtle and wears slimmer than the 39.5mm case. It was under the revised budget hence why I purchased it, I think it was a recommendation on another thread I start earlier this year.

Thanks all.

Exit watch £4k

Awesome.
    I was really on the fence about getting the SeaQ myself.
    The size is excellent. In the end I decided against the slightly aged lume look - but have not stopped thinking a little more on it!!

Also, wherezya photos?? :)
    Let us know how you find it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Awesome.
    I was really on the fence about getting the SeaQ myself.
    The size is excellent. In the end I decided against the slightly aged lume look - but have not stopped thinking a little more on it!!

Also, wherezya photos?? :)
    Let us know how you find it.

The lines very good in the day and in dark light you can really see the blue glow.

Really love the watch and it seems to be a strap monster already. Very unassuming when you get it out of the box but it sure has some weight and bracelet clasp feels like a tank, compared to the Tudor I had!

Here are some photos

Master

Master