closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: NHS chronic pain course

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    572

    NHS chronic pain course

    Hi Guys. Iíve had lower chronic back pain for over a decade. Done the physio and chiropractor thing but it persists. Iíve been asked if I would like to attend a chronic pain management course. Has anyone been on one please? How was it? I realised ages ago that there is no miracle cure but thought it may be worth a try as been very down about it recently.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,203
    I think what you get out of it will very much depend on your attitude going into it.

    The course is likely to be based on helping you manage with your pain rather than getting rid of it. Modern medicine is pretty rubbish at dealing with chronic pain, simply because there just isn't an easy fix. Have a look at this video. If the video makes you feel a bit pissed off and like you are being fobbed off then that attitude is likely to make the course less helpful for you, if the video strikes a bit of a chord and makes sense then the course will likely be very useful.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3phB93rvI&t=43s

  3. #3
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Hi Guys. Iíve had lower chronic back pain for over a decade. Done the physio and chiropractor thing but it persists. Iíve been asked if I would like to attend a chronic pain management course. Has anyone been on one please? How was it? I realised ages ago that there is no miracle cure but thought it may be worth a try as been very down about it recently.
    Don't bother, it'll be a waste of your time. Pain management talks is utter bollocks.
    Push your Dr to send you for an MRI scan to see exactly what is causing the problem then push for surgery. Don't give up.
    If you can afford to, see a private consultant and have a private MRI then join the NHS line for an op.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,203
    For most people this is pretty terrible advice. I have seen the aftermath of many a back surgery when people have pushed and pushed for it or ended up paying for it. Letting a surgeon anywhere near your back should be an absolutely last resort in most people.

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Don't bother, it'll be a waste of your time. Pain management talks is utter bollocks.
    Push your Dr to send you for an MRI scan to see exactly what is causing the problem then push for surgery. Don't give up.
    If you can afford to, see a private consultant and have a private MRI then join the NHS line for an op.
    Last edited by watchstudent; 27th November 2022 at 11:17.

  5. #5
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    For most people this is pretty terrible advice. I have seen the aftermath of many a back surgery when people have pushed and pushed for it or ended up paying for it. Letting a surgeon anywhere near your back should be an absolutely last resort in most people.
    The pain.......suck it up then I guess

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    The pain.......suck it up then I guess
    The reality is that there are some conditions that actually cannot be fixed with western medicine. Medics can do patients a disservice when they pretend they can fix it. There are methods to try and help people manage. Watch the video.

  7. #7
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    20,428
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    For most people this is pretty terrible advice. I have seen the aftermath of many a back surgery when people have pushed and pushed for it or ended up paying for it. Letting a surgeon anywhere near your back should be an absolutely last resort in most people.
    This happened to a friend of mine here in Spain, she's in much worse condition/ pain post the Op.

  8. #8
    Master OldHooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Home of the Fondue
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Hi Guys. Iíve had lower chronic back pain for over a decade. Done the physio and chiropractor thing but it persists. Iíve been asked if I would like to attend a chronic pain management course. Has anyone been on one please? How was it? I realised ages ago that there is no miracle cure but thought it may be worth a try as been very down about it recently.
    Try it, then judge it is best. Not for everyone

    I've had physio, manipulation (various) and then surgery, as that was the only real option. MRIs don't lie.

    Then the obvious things of committing to building up core strength, and a good chair. Crap ones will set you back. Expensive, but so is pain.

    Acupuncture is brilliant if only temporary.

  9. #9
    Craftsman Linocut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    north uk
    Posts
    461
    Your question raises a lot of ithers. Did you injure your back at xome point? professional sport? Are you overweight eg big beer belly? (no offence, I've got one). What's your mattress like? Do you slouch on a sofa or sit upright? What's your job? Did you really and truly do all of the physio's exercises to the letter?

    I injured my back at 18 and I've had chronic pain ever since, getting worse as I age. MRI in later life after years of similar chiropractic and osteopathy nonsense, manipulation under anaesthetic etc shows three herniared discs, the doctor said that surgery would be endgame stuff, only if I could no longer walk

    But the point is that I can actively minimise the pain by sitting properly, having the very best mattress I can afford, I'm lucky that after years of physical jobs I'm a sedentary worker so I can try to adopt good posture there, and I do exercises to strengthen the abdo muscles. When I do drop weight alittle, it gets better too.

    My rather long winded point is that if you're not already doing things to minimise the pain, there's a lot that can be done. Then, nsaid's have moved on massively, I find diclofenac extremely effective and I think there are other drugs available through prescription.

    If you're already doing all that then I've nothing to offer but sympathy and fellowship :)

  10. #10
    Grand Master sundial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    15,394
    If you have not tried The 'turmeric and black pepper' remedy for back pain, please consider it Ė but don't buy the tablets - mix your own using ground turmeric (available in most supermarkets' cookery sections) and a black pepper grinder. I add the ground ingredients to my porridge.
    "After a certain age you got the face you deserve I think" ... Henri Cartier-Bresson

  11. #11
    Master OldHooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Home of the Fondue
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Your question raises a lot of ithers. Did you injure your back at xome point? professional sport? Are you overweight eg big beer belly? (no offence, I've got one). What's your mattress like? Do you slouch on a sofa or sit upright? What's your job? Did you really and truly do all of the physio's exercises to the letter?

    I injured my back at 18 and I've had chronic pain ever since, getting worse as I age. MRI in later life after years of similar chiropractic and osteopathy nonsense, manipulation under anaesthetic etc shows three herniared discs, the doctor said that surgery would be endgame stuff, only if I could no longer walk

    But the point is that I can actively minimise the pain by sitting properly, having the very best mattress I can afford, I'm lucky that after years of physical jobs I'm a sedentary worker so I can try to adopt good posture there, and I do exercises to strengthen the abdo muscles. When I do drop weight alittle, it gets better too.

    My rather long winded point is that if you're not already doing things to minimise the pain, there's a lot that can be done. Then, nsaid's have moved on massively, I find diclofenac extremely effective and I think there are other drugs available through prescription.

    If you're already doing all that then I've nothing to offer but sympathy and fellowship :)
    Sounds similar. I had one of the three discs operated on twice in Dec (herniated again the day before discharge), but that's now sorted. The other two are not as bad, so I have a few years before needing anything further.

    Recovery wasn't fast, partly as I continued with the same diet, burning almost no calories. Now 9kg lighter, core strength up, middle age spread mostly gone, love handles gone, and even some evidence of a #pack of some sort coming back, it's remarkable. No painkillers now, but the seat and not standing often enough is a killer.

    Personal fitness instructor was a lifesaver. 20 minutes a day changed me mentally and physically.
    Joe Wicks. Will be eternally gratefully for his school sessions and now mine.

  12. #12
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    212
    Are you able to go swimming? I had a prolapsed disc when I was younger leaving my back vulnerable and the pain was terrible. Swimming 1km twice a week works wonders for me.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,559
    I have had chronic back pain along with sciatica for many years, mostly managed but when it goes, it goes. Recently I have been attending a pain clinic for various treatments, mainly massage and tens type stuff. Itís certainly made things a lot better and most days I wake up lower back pain free where before Iíd have medium to severe pain every morning. Itís not a panacea as it does still hurt sometimes but itís certainly better. In the end, it canít hurt to try..

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    572
    Thank You for all the replies. Itís good to hear them. I have a slight sideways curve of the spine but the bigger problem is there is little disc in 2 of My lower vertebrae. I would also add I am 60. Movements can be very stiff in this area also a dull ache. Surprisingly I donít get sciatica. Lying flat is fine ,walking fine sitting on Sofaís is painful and careless bending or twisting is definitely to be avoided.Cautious swimming is also not a problem .

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    If you have not tried The 'turmeric and black pepper' remedy for back pain, please consider it Ė but don't buy the tablets - mix your own using ground turmeric (available in most supermarkets' cookery sections) and a black pepper grinder. I add the ground ingredients to my porridge.
    This has worked for me , back has been. lot better since taking them , 60 mile bike ride Today. couldnt get on the bike a few Months back, i buy the high strenth ones off amazon

    maybe worth a try


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  16. #16
    Master wildheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Essex - Hopefully on a golf course!
    Posts
    8,275
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Hi Guys. Iíve had lower chronic back pain for over a decade. Done the physio and chiropractor thing but it persists. Iíve been asked if I would like to attend a chronic pain management course. Has anyone been on one please? How was it? I realised ages ago that there is no miracle cure but thought it may be worth a try as been very down about it recently.
    I'm very sorry for your suffering. I lived with horrendous Sciatica, before paying for a Spine decompression operation last year. It may help others, but I found the NHS Pain management useless. In fact they rang me a fortnight ago to see how I was copping? A year after my operation. I spent thousands on physio's a complete waste of money. Get an MRI scan and go see a Spinal surgeon. I can PM you my Consultant if you'd like?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Don't bother, it'll be a waste of your time. Pain management talks is utter bollocks.
    Push your Dr to send you for an MRI scan to see exactly what is causing the problem then push for surgery. Don't give up.
    If you can afford to, see a private consultant and have a private MRI then join the NHS line for an op.
    This is very bad advice.
    Sorry, but don't ever push for surgery. Reach the decision with your surgeon or specialist.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,714
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    If you have not tried The 'turmeric and black pepper' remedy for back pain, please consider it Ė but don't buy the tablets - mix your own using ground turmeric (available in most supermarkets' cookery sections) and a black pepper grinder. I add the ground ingredients to my porridge.
    Sounds worth a go for my shoulder. Thanks.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,714
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    This is very bad advice.
    Sorry, but don't ever push for surgery. Reach the decision with your surgeon or specialist.
    2 doctors agree with it being poor advice. I know where Iíd be basing my approach from that!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information