closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Rolex Sports Watch is Now Below Retail

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

That is really nice and much more refined than some of the more ostentatious sport models that never see anymore action than an office desk!

I hope you’re joking… Here’s a pic of mine, after all I do need to let everyone know about this incredibly ostentatious watch.
    Beautiful. Why they cant go back to a brushed bracelet and toned down bezel I'll never know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Beautiful. Why they cant go back to a brushed bracelet and toned down bezel I'll never know.
    The DJ36 with smooth bezel is quite close to this look but as with the current aqua terra is ruined by polished centre links, such a pity! Otherwise one of their most subtle models.

Grand Master
    Turn the clock back to 2006 when Rolex introduced the 116200, complete with fatter lugs, better bracelet but polished centre links. Would've been a nicer watch if they'd left the case alone and simply updated the bracelet but without polished centre links. The current version addresses the fat lugs issue, which to my eye never looked right, but the polished lug tops remain and so do the polished centre links. The profile of the bezel is still rounded (I preferred the earlier style) but I could live with that. For anyone who can forsake the date (and lose the Cyclops) the OP models are a nicer (and cheaper) option in my opinion. Definitely a case of 'less is more'.

Comparisons will inevitably be drawn with the Omega Aqua Terra, I liked the first version (apart from the bracelet and clasp, which always felt a bit rattly) and the second with the vertical lines. After that it went downhill as they messed about with the details.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The Milgausses used to stink out the AD windows before the pandemic hit so I'd imagine they wouldn't trade at a premium once the market recalibrates
    As you say, Milgausses were easy to walk in to a store and buy at retail. My wife used to take a wrist shot as she passed the Rolex AD of her Milgauss next to the store Milgauesses :)

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    As you say, Milgausses were easy to walk in to a store and buy at retail.
    Nature is healing.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Because typical Rolex aspirer wants bling of course.

Master
    I recently acquired this beauty: The DJ41 on the green motif dial and fluted bezel. Ive only had Rolex Sport models but I think the DJ is now my favourite Rolex and perhaps best everyday wear!

My friend at work walked into Goldsmiths in Newcastle without any history, he asked about buying a Rolex and was told he had absolutely no chance.

2 hour's later they called him back and sold him Sea dweller. This was last week.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I recently acquired this beauty: The DJ41 on the green motif dial and fluted bezel. Ive only had Rolex Sport models but I think the DJ is now my favourite Rolex and perhaps best everyday wear!

Snap.

Absolutely beautiful dial. Love the green motif. The DJ 41 in your configuration is a home run from Rolex..

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Snap.

Absolutely beautiful dial. Love the green motif. The DJ 41 in your configuration is a home run from Rolex..
    I think the DJ1 - which is actually about 39.8mm - is significantly under-appreciated on here (primarily because people assume it's the size that the model reference suggests).

Master

Nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think the DJ1 - which is actually about 39.8mm - is significantly under-appreciated on here (primarily because people assume it's the size that the model reference suggests).
    I was desperate to like the dj41 but when I tried one on it was simply too big for this type of watch imo.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I was desperate to like the dj41 but when I tried one on it was simply too big for this type of watch imo.
    Agreed they wear huge just like the OP41 being all dial.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Agreed they wear huge just like the OP41 being all dial.
    Actually I found the OP41 wore much better than the DJ41. Might be because it's more casual. I'm on the list for the OP41 bright blue for what it's worth!

Master
    I actually felt that the DJ41 wears much smaller than the quoted 41. Its actual measurement is more like 39.5mm in reality and the watch is very thin. The lug to lug is also fairly short, much shorter for example than say an IWC MARK XX. I wouldn't count this out just because you may have thin wrists.

I actually felt that the DJ41 wears much smaller than the quoted 41. Its actual measurement is more like 39.5mm in reality and the watch is very thin. The lug to lug is also fairly short, much shorter for example than say an IWC MARK XX. I wouldn't count this out just because you may have thin wrists.
    What size is your wrist out of curiosity?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    My friend at work walked into Goldsmiths in Newcastle without any history, he asked about buying a Rolex and was told he had absolutely no chance.

2 hour's later they called him back and sold him Sea dweller. This was last week.
    That is surprising although the SD43 doesn’t seem to have been the most sought after recently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    What size is your wrist out of curiosity?
    My wrist as you can probably see is TINY, 6 inches on a good day. Many may think it’s too big for me but i personally find it very comfortable and wearable.

Pretty embarrassing behaviour from that AD. Sounds like they tried to upsell him something else, and when that failed they lasted a whole 2 hours before caving and offering the supposedly 'no chance' Rolex. Must have been hard for your friend to resist the temptation to tell them to do one after that..!

Question

Just out of interest, was it S/S or T/T?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Coincidentally I was trying this on at 10am this morning at my AD along with the blue motif dial….

Stunning piece.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by RJM25R; 30th November 2022 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Pretty embarrassing behaviour from that AD. Sounds like they tried to upsell him something else, and when that failed they lasted a whole 2 hours before caving and offering the supposedly 'no chance' Rolex. Must have been hard for your friend to resist the temptation to tell them to do one after that..!
    Oh to be a fly on the wall when he replied he had bought one elsewhere!

Value is what the owner deems it to be. My sub is from 1996, I have the calendar and the little anchor thing that came with it, what a load of bollox! It has everything but I bought it as a watch to wear, not as a means to 'make money'. I still have it and wear it, most weeks. I alternate it with my Seamaster and have a Hydroconquest for work beating up... I work on boats in quite a hard environment. The Longines is the most visible to read, followed by the Seamaster and the sub comes in a poor 3rd on that account, but yes, there is something about it and despite the opening statement, I bet it is worth more than I paid for it 25 years ago!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Coincidentally I was trying this on at 10am this morning at my AD along with the blue motif dial….

Stunning piece.

- - - Updated - - -
    Love the blue one as well. Could easily have both in the collection I suppose :)

Master
    That looks lovely but I think you can’t have that configuration in a 36mm?

What an amazing pattern very geometric

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Think that’s right. Blue only.

Rolex are now copying what Grand Seiko have done for years on the DJ dials and all of a sudden they are geniuses

That being said that green dialed DJ41 with WG bezel is lovely

Blog Entries
    That’s correct. I’m not sure it was originally announced in March, but added later.

Master

It's a common response to your tweet, but that's a really nice looking watch. The DJ can have many personas from bright to austere, but that one is really fresh, really interesting looking. Beautiful watch.

Master
    This thread makes interesting reading. I am going to look at a skydweller in SS with black dial on jubilee tomorrow. I am on the list for a white dial, and the AD rang me yesterday to offer this instead. Spent yesterday eve browsing pics online, but think I will need to actually see it on my wrist to make a call. I am looking for a special watch for a significant b'day next year, so this may be my only shot at it being a Rolex.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    This thread makes interesting reading. I am going to look at a skydweller in SS with black dial on jubilee tomorrow. I am on the list for a white dial, and the AD rang me yesterday to offer this instead. Spent yesterday eve browsing pics online, but think I will need to actually see it on my wrist to make a call. I am looking for a special watch for a significant b'day next year, so this may be my only shot at it being a Rolex.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    Do it.

Slightly biased as I was at the AD picking this up yesterday for my 50th next year….

i ll be loving you all my life

Master
    I'm a huge fan of the DJ in 36mm and have always plumbed for a jubilee and fluted bezel variant but I have to say, this looks equally as good:

I hope you’re joking… Here’s a pic of mine, after all I do need to let everyone know about this incredibly ostentatious watch.

Well in my view this is still the most tasteful watch pictured in this thread. Classic, beautiful, understated.

Then again I'm probably biased. Here's mine in a similar style.

One day we may see a Rolex AD with a window like this dealer in Krakow for RRP.

Who am I kidding lol…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it on…

Now only double retail.

Those waiting for retail availability will be preaching on forums for some time to come and still own two homages and a Sinn.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Now only double retail.

Those waiting for retail availability will be preaching on forums for some time to come and still own two homages and a Sinn.
    True, but we cling to the hope

Master
    Blog Entries
    Now only double retail.

Very funny. A lot of people are declining when called. Dealer premium
    Is disappearing by the day, more will decline. Times have changed and only some on the forum are the slowest to realise. Throw in, economic pain hasn’t started yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Very funny. A lot of people are declining when called. Dealer premium
    Is disappearing by the day, more will decline. Times have changed and only some on the forum are the slowest to realise. Throw in, economic pain hasn’t started yet.
    Totally agree, but retail and readily available are still some time off. Would you decline a Daytona, a Sub etc - if skint and savvy, sell it for at least 50% (ish) prifit. The declined calls are the usual overhyped datejusts/Explorers an the like I expect and many will jump back on the bandwagon for more popular models.

The thing which makes me giggle is the ones usually hailing the losses some people will suffer (including their forum buddies) are the "I don't like Rolex, or how they treat their customers" brigade. Those make no difference to the market, so buzz off, buy a JLC Polaris on 0%, , sell it, lose 30% (less the sale of their 'free' pen or winder and report back lol.

The current economy will slow the sale of luxury goods. There, I posted a fact.

Totally agree, but retail and readily available are still some time off. Would you decline a Daytona, a Sub etc - if skint and savvy, sell it for at least 50% (ish) prifit. The declined calls are the usual overhyped datejusts/Explorers an the like I expect and many will jump back on the bandwagon for more popular models.

The thing which makes me giggle is the ones usually hailing the losses some people will suffer (including their forum buddies) are the "I don't like Rolex, or how they treat their customers" brigade. Those make no difference to the market, so buzz off, buy a JLC Polaris on 0%, , sell it, lose 30% (less the sale of their 'free' pen or winder and report back lol.

The current economy will slow the sale of luxury goods. There, I posted a fact.
    You won't get a 50% premium on a standard Sub. Not gonna happen.

Agreed more like 25% and thats on a good day!

I said ish. Still there on many of the range, but like any entry watch, that's always going to follow the OP's and Datejust's slide pattern.

Economics isn't your strong point to be fair of what I've seen

Economics isn't your strong point to be fair of what I've seen
    My job would indicate otherwise but c'est la vie.

AD supplied Sub that is not worth 50% more than I paid says hi.

#youknowbestthough
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd December 2022 at 19:51.

My job would indicate otherwise but c'est la vie.

AD supplied Sub that is not worth 50% more than I paid says hi.
    I said ish, so 25% then for the dim amongst us, but was referring more to those sought after variants. The standard no date fawned quite a few months ago - after you bought yours I'll wager, lol.

I said ish, so 25% then for the dim amongst us, but was referring more to those sought after variants. The standard no date fawned quite a few months ago - after you bought yours I'll wager, lol.
    Bought mine last week from an AD so paid RRP. Resale value is irrelevant to me as anyone would notice with what I flip. I just wanted a Sub. Hopefully the a*se falling out of the market will mean I can get a Daytona too.

Bought mine last week from an AD so paid RRP. Resale value is irrelevant to me as anyone would notice with what I flip. I just wanted a Sub. Hopefully the a*se falling out of the market will mean I can get a Daytona too.
    Resale value is relevant to all. Let's face it, it makes most of the threads up on the subject of Rolex. The market is falling, but a Daytona is a decade away from retail.

*Decade could be less or more for the pedantic economic experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    One day we may see a Rolex AD with a window like this dealer in Krakow for RRP.

Who am I kidding lol…
    Leeds boutique had plenty of watches on display. Unfortunately you needed to make an appointment to see them closely. The three staff at the front of the shop were too busy to show many a watch without a pre-booking.

Nice sub
    There is something pleasingly right about that iteration. Simple, clean and a perfect size.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app