closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Rolex Sports Watch is Now Below Retail

Master

This Rolex Sports Watch is Now Below Retail

Market prices continue to evolve.

Have watched this website for a while, and interesting as it charts actual forum sales data, and without things like the C24 margin. Covers this model (Milgauss), but also prices of related Rolex.

DJ41, Yachtmaster and Air King will list below retail at greys within 6 months.

Still expect a premium on OP41, Sub, GMT, Daytona etc.

Master
    I don't take too much notice of Rolex pricing (way way way out of my budget), but the other week I looked in the local posh jeweller who had a big selection of Secondhand Rolexs. Couldn't believe the prices - a Yachtmaster for £30k?!! It was more than they were asking for a Daytona at a mere £27k! So since when was the YM so popular? No sign of Rolex prices slipping up our way!

Master
    Has my favourite, the non-JC DSSD ever been over list in the grey market?

The Milgauss is severely underrated. Such a great watch, I actually quite miss my GV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    The Milgauss is severely underrated. Such a great watch, I actually quite miss my GV.
    Second that. Another poor watch choice made by me trading one.

Agreed . I’m on my second after the first one got stolen .

I’d love a white one. Fantastic in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    DJ41, Yachtmaster and Air King will list below retail at greys within 6 months.

Still expect a premium on OP41, Sub, GMT, Daytona etc.
    Not quite sure on that Ryan.
    I bought a new 41mm DJ fluted motif dial (2022 release) and a dealer friend was asking if I would take £2k profit on it to let him buy it…can’t see my particular watch being under list in 6 months. Any Rolex is still hard to come by at the AD. Maybe 31mm and 36mm datejust in unfavourable dial/metal combinations may be more affordable but I think the market will become more model /metal/ dial specific with certain models still attracting high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I bought a new 41mm DJ fluted motif dial (2022 release) and a dealer friend was asking if I would take £2k profit on it to let him buy it…can’t see my particular watch being under list in 6 months.
    How recent was this?

Their website is good too. I didn't know there was a you tube...

https://watchcharts.com/
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    How recent was this?
    2 days ago

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Yeti; 25th November 2022 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Agreed . I’m on my second after the first one got stolen .
    Was it the one I sold you that got stolen?

2 days ago

- - - Updated - - -
    Great offer from a dealer.

Master
    Interesting and not unexpected update on the market. Still some way to go I think. With the announcement of the new factory and increased production in 2025 I wonder if that will stifle prices too.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Has my favourite, the non-JC DSSD ever been over list in the grey market?

Yes David. Not by much but they do trade for over MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Great offer from a dealer.
    I paid £8550 retail for mine there’s only one in the country for sale in my combination for £15500 so the dealer has potentially a large margin offering me £2k over list. Presuming the watch sold circa £15k of course.
    I’ve seen a few 36mm examples but not many 41mm especially with a fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Yes David. Not by much but they do trade for over MSRP.
    Interesting! Deserves better for a classic watch!

Date just has always been easier to obtain and that situation will not change. It’s a bread and butter model and is easily available, not much wait or history will secure one so greys might hype but if you tried to sell it to a grey you will take a loss

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Date just has always been easier to obtain and that situation will not change. It’s a bread and butter model and is easily available, not much wait or history will secure one so greys might hype but if you tried to sell it to a grey you will take a loss

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Going to have to disagree with you there as it's just not the case at all with the most popular Datejusts I'm afraid.

Was it the one I sold you that got stolen?
    Yours was the replacement, which is sitting pretty in my safe now. After having the watch polisher do his magic to it , it now gets special outings only .

No one on TZ the official Rolex owners forum can ever accept they might not double in value every few years. Anything you say on here must be pro Rolex and price rises to avoid retribution.

The Mint Green and Motif dials in 41 with Fluted Bezel are carrying a significant premium right now.

It may not last all that long though as supply improves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaguppy View Post
    No one on TZ the official Rolex owners forum can ever accept they might not double in value every few years. Anything you say on here must be pro Rolex and price rises to avoid retribution.
    Not entirely true but there is certainly a lot of talking up prices where Rolex is concerned. Ultimately the volume available on dealer sites and chrono 24 etc tells its own story. Watches are listed on this forum and are now hanging around and being removed/reduced. Prices are still trending downward, the question is not if they will continue to go down but how far down will they go.

They really are on the way back down to pre bubble level again.

I just noticed this mint looking 2018 116500 at a whisker under £23k. Would have been pushing £30k 6 months ago.
    https://swisstimepieces.co.uk/collec...0ln-2018-watch

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    They really are on the way back down to pre bubble level again.

I just noticed this mint looking 2018 116500 at a whisker under £23k. Would have been pushing £30k 6 months ago.
    https://swisstimepieces.co.uk/collec...0ln-2018-watch

Still list x 2 however…..but granted it’s a competitively priced Daytona.

Master
    Put my name down for an explorer ll black today. No idea how long the wait is but it at least stops my watch hunting for the time being.

So - are sports Rolex actually appearing at greys for less than retail .............. or is the title a wee bit "click-baitie" ?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Yours was the replacement, which is sitting pretty in my safe now. After having the watch polisher do his magic to it , it now gets special outings only .
    I was going to say that having gotten it looking so good that would have been extra painful. Glad it’s in good hands 👍🏻

Master

The milgauss z blue is just unique, I love it

I don’t get this, you can’t walk into a Rolex AD in the UK and buy a new Rolex SS sports watch, are they just trying to talk the market down or something,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I don’t get this, you can’t walk into a Rolex AD in the UK and buy a new Rolex SS sports watch, are they just trying to talk the market down or something,
    They’re either anticipating what may well happen - or they’re wrong. As long as they get clicks….

That’s what it seems like to me. And anything for views!

But can pretty much get anything you want on the grey market straight away (new) if you are prepared to swallow the bill.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    But can pretty much get anything you want on the grey market straight away (new) if you are prepared to swallow the bill.
    But not below list, as they claim.

But not below list, as they claim.
    Which (as we know) is nonsense.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The new ones don't interest me at all. I've been looking for 1675/16750 prices and they haven't dropped at all.

They're still absolutely ridiculous. If everything drops you'd think it would affect the vintage ones too. But no.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    The new ones don't interest me at all. I've been looking for 1675/16750 prices and they haven't dropped at all.

They're still absolutely ridiculous. If everything drops you'd think it would affect the vintage ones too. But no.
    The clever person buys a bad selling unpopular Rolex and puts it in the safe for twenty years when it will be scarce and everyone is fighting over it.

I have one of the original Explorer11 1655 watches from 1980 that were so ugly that dealers hated them and nobody ever bought them. Today I would be fighting buyers off if I ever put them up for sale.

Scarcity is what it is all about in the weird world of Rolex.

So go out and buy the Milgauss and either store or use it because you won't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The clever person buys a bad selling unpopular Rolex and puts it in the safe for twenty years when it will be scarce and everyone is fighting over it.

I have one of the original Explorer11 1655 watches from 1980 that were so ugly that dealers hated them and nobody ever bought them. Today I would be fighting buyers off if I ever put them up for sale.

So go out and buy the Milgauss and either store or use it because you won't go wrong.
    Yeah I don't care as I don't sell my watches. I don't care about the values. The values are only important when you buy.

I paid 3800 pounds for my full set 16710 in this forum. It was back in 2008 I think.

Now they're asking what... 13.000 pounds? Same for 1675/0. It's absolutely laughable. I'm not paying those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

The milgauss z blue is just unique, I love it
    Fantastic watch, and fantastic picture. Milgauss has been underrated, like the explorer II and the Air-king, and in my view that 3 are really nice watches.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    There is a risk that newer generation buyers will increasingly see them as antiquated a bit like how most of us view the 1940s bubble backs that were so popular in the 90s. I know some younger collectors that see the 70-80s watches as just knackered

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Yeah I don't care as I don't sell my watches. I don't care about the values. The values are only important when you buy.

I paid 3800 pounds for my full set 16710 in this forum. It was back in 2008 I think.

Now they're asking what... 13.000 pounds? Same for 1675/0. It's absolutely laughable. I'm not paying those prices.

I am in the same boat as you, I buy but have never sold a watch in my life. My watch buying days are over unless I see something really and I mean really irresistible.

I really hope the Rolex market crashes, then I'll be able to get one like the one I sold when I should have kept it back in 2010...

Just don't see it happening as much as I wish it would...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

I'm a lover of vintage but have never liked the 1655-almost industrial looking.
    Although the prices are steep I think they are a hard sell as they seem to hang about dealers for a long time.
    You will have done well with it when one of your boys flogs it for the school fees.

Journeyman
    Not quite sure on that Ryan.
    I bought a new 41mm DJ fluted motif dial (2022 release) and a dealer friend was asking if I would take £2k profit on it to let him buy it…can’t see my particular watch being under list in 6 months. Any Rolex is still hard to come by at the AD. Maybe 31mm and 36mm datejust in unfavourable dial/metal combinations may be more affordable but I think the market will become more model /metal/ dial specific with certain models still attracting high prices.
    You got lucky then, i sold a dj41 blue dial last month as it was too big and most dealers were offering rrp with 2 offering +£250 and 1 £500 below. The wait list was only 3 months hence the lower demand

I think they will be below rrp early next year, with gmt/sub steel premiums going down

This Rolex Sports Watch is Now Below Retail

Quote Originally Posted by watchingyou View Post
    You got lucky then, i sold a dj41 blue dial last month as it was too big and most dealers were offering rrp with 2 offering +£250 and 1 £500 below. The wait list was only 3 months hence the lower demand

I think they will be below rrp early next year, with gmt/sub steel premiums going down
    Mine is the 2022 fluted motif blue dial not the plain blue dial which is selling for a fair bit less than my variation. What dial did you have? I also have the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet which makes for a very nice example. Oyster bracelets and smooth bezels may not command as much upon resale. As I said in a previous post, I think certain dials will be the dealbreaker moving forward…
    Last edited by Yeti; 27th November 2022 at 18:53.

Master
    Same with the OPs, different prices depending on dial. It’s all a bit silly.

I agree and I have a rail dial one. But from recent experience with selling vintage watches off. My flat 4 LV complete set back from Rolex service which had in sales section months ago, bids was shocking and I tried everyone up and down the country.

In sales section not one contrete enquiry and was at 19k, folk don't want to except the market is falling fast with everything else along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'm a lover of vintage but have never liked the 1655-almost industrial looking.
    Although the prices are steep I think they are a hard sell as they seem to hang about dealers for a long time.
    You will have done well with it when one of your boys flogs it for the school fees.
    Sent from my SM-A325F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bokbok; 27th November 2022 at 20:45.

Dealers are definitely edging on caution when they do make an offer.

Forums are a poor reference for where values are, being insulated with in-house deals.

Premiums have cooled off massively and it's probably impossible to accurately predict where they will end up with so much going on in the economy. General opinion suggests doom and gloom, but only an idiot would see Daytona's at list in the next 5 years. Personally I think the 'price adjustment' has happened, so no more twenty grand Starbucks, but all sports models commanding current premiums for the foreseeable.

No one cares about a Datejust. They are what the desperate to own a Rolex buy.