closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Massena Lab Uni-Racer

Massena Lab Uni-Racer

Just wondered if anyone here had seen or experienced one in the wild?

It's a pretty accurate re-interpretation of one of my favourite watches, the Universal Geneve Uni-Compax "Big Eye". Unfortunately it's now sold out in my preferred configuration with the white dial, however I could put my name on the waiting list.

I've no experience at all with Massena Lab watches and wondered if anyone here could enlighten me.

Oh and a link to the the real thing for anyone interested. Unfortunately they go for considerable money these days.

https://www.rescapement.com/blog/a-b...eve-uni-compax

Cheers,
    Gary

I think Ryan (ryann741) has or had one.

Thanks

I've just done a search here and found the following, looks like it's not a favourite amongst the UG community.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=massena

Cheers,
    Gary

I have one.

It is designed to look similar to the Uni-Compax, but it is definitely not a Uni-Compax. It is obviously a bit larger, and something I did not expect is its weight. It is not a heavy watch per se, but it is not light, either. Considering that the original case is nothing particularly special, I consider the Massena Labs Uni-Racer a bit of a step up.

The movement, on the other hand, is a step down. It might be a high-grade Sellita, but it is a cheap movement for a watch at this price point. Mine evidences a small amount of play in the main hands when setting time, but it is accurate and everything works properly. I am no fan of the Valjoux 77xx series, and the Sellita does not impress me any more or less than its inspiration.

I got the Uni-Racer because I would never be able to own a Uni-Compax, simple as that. Taken on its own merits, it is a very nice watch. I like the Uni-Racer. I enjoy wearing it, but it benefits from a heavy strap or bracelet to offset weight of the head. I think it is USD 1k too expensive new, but I got mine used and will not complain.

Anyone expecting this to be a replica of the Uni-Compax will be disappointed. This is what I read into most negative comments about it. It is an homage, not a replica. The hands are not blued but anodized (I think), and there are several small design deviations from the Uni-Compax. In most manners, it improves upon the original in real-world manners. I wish it had a better movement inside, and I wish it were a little smaller, but it is a very interesting piece that I doubt will leave my collection any time soon.

I had one and it was on SC but nobody bit so it just sold on ebay

Thanks Ryan and aFiercePancake for your thoughts and picture. Plenty to think about, I'll probably keep a look out for a used example rather than put my name on the waiting list, as I detest all that nonsense.

Cheers,
    Gary

Still available on mrporter.com

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Nice watch, new brand for me. Remind me the famous Hamilton intramatic chrono

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app