closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58

Thread: Recommend me an ink pen

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,247

    Recommend me an ink pen

    I have a nice Montblanc classic which Mrs Berin keeps borrowing.

    Could anyone recommend a nice fountain pen, that isnít Montblanc but similar quality that I could get her so I get my own back please?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Pelikan M600 / M400 / M200

    Lots of colours to choose from.

    I havenít recommended the M800 / M1000 on the basis they may be too big for her hand.

  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,795
    Blog Entries
    2
    Loads depending on budget.

    Sailor King of Pen has one of the best nibs in the business but they're steep at 700+

    Conway Stewart and Onoto are excellent and around the 500-600 mark.
    Scribo are also very good but their nibs have a little bit more flex to them than CS or Onoto, they're about 5-600

    For the 100-150 I really like Leonardo, steel nibs but v smooth writers and a great range of colours. Momento zero and momento zero grande are worth looking at.

    Under 100 - the Kaweko steel sports is pretty unbeatable imo.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,926
    I use a Pilot Capless. I've found it really handy to not have it dry out (which may not be an issue if you use a pen a lot) and be quick and easy to get into use.

  5. #5
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die FuchsrŲhre
    Posts
    14,563
    Can't beat a Parker 51. If you want new maybe try a Lamy 2000, even the stainless Studio is a fantastic pen. Depends on what you want to spend though. A second hand Montblanc 146 would set you back £200-£250 and will do pretty much all anyone needs. A £750 Nakaya is a wonderful thing, as Verv says a Sailor King Of Pen is a magnificent thing but up there with the Pelikan 1000. If it were me, I'd go for a Parker Duofold Maxima from the 1950s, a brilliant pen.
    "A man of little significance"

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I have a nice Montblanc classic which Mrs Berin keeps borrowing.

    Could anyone recommend a nice fountain pen, that isnít Montblanc but similar quality that I could get her so I get my own back please?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not coming back. Buy yourself a new one. Cult Pens have a great choice and have a look at Goulet on YT

  7. #7
    Pelikan m205 demonstrator

    Montblanc were good in the past, they had high quality metal parts and ebonite. Now replaced with Chinese plastic and way overpriced

  8. #8
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,816
    This one.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154747972...mis&media=COPY

    There isn't a better pen unless you are spending a grand. This has the best nib you can buy at that sub £1k level. It is a phenomenal pen.

  9. #9
    I used to have a few Mont Blancs. Got fed up of servicing them regularly and they still leaked. Had a Pelikan M800 for several years now. Use it everyday and love it. Good ink reservoir. Never leaks.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    1,381
    So many choices.

    Classic workhorse Lamy 2000, Pelikan available in a variety sizes (have a soft spot for them - 14 at the last count), Onoto sturdy and well built (dont overlook their steel nibs they are delightful), Leonardo great value for money, Pilot 823 similiar styling to Montblanc.

    If you fancy another MB or something preloved take a look at izods.ink they have a great selection of pens.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    Most pen enthusiasts consider the Parker 51 to be the best ever.

    Its build quality is second to none, it must be the most bash proof pen ever made and there are thousands being used on a daily basis.

    Strangely enough good ones are still readily available.

  12. #12
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,816
    I really feel I need this in my life

    https://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/foun...298707857.html

    It's basically just a Meisterstuck so it is wildly overpriced but the colour scheme is amazing and completely unlike any other Montblanc as the brand tends to be somewhat more conservative with the themes around its special edition pens

  13. #13
    Craftsman DONGinsler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    256
    More specific

    Ball point, fountain, gel pen?

  14. #14
    I'd recommend you let her keep the Montblanc and get yourself a Pelikan M800/M805, and also the Pilot Custom recommended by Ryan.

  15. #15
    Kaweco Dia 2 black with gold trim.
    Check out "Cult Pens" down in Devon.
    It's a slippery slope : )
    Good luck.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,313
    Another vote for Parker 51.

    I have a few ink pens - Mont Blanc / Cross /Sheaffer and other Parker models but it is the '51 that is my choice

  17. #17
    Craftsman smashie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    340
    Iíve got various pens, but for a little while the Viscontiís have been my go to pens. Well and the TWSBI, Kaweco add infinitum.

    I will also recommend Cult Pens, although no longer an independent they have not dropped their quality of service at all.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Borrowash
    Posts
    6,352
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I really feel I need this in my life

    https://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/foun...298707857.html

    It's basically just a Meisterstuck so it is wildly overpriced but the colour scheme is amazing and completely unlike any other Montblanc as the brand tends to be somewhat more conservative with the themes around its special edition pens
    If you have large hands you should have got their Homer 149

    OP - many good suggestions here, can you get to a physical shop that stocks a range? NOTHING beats holding them in your hand and trying them out.

    If you like your MB and can handle one a little larger, the 146 (Le Grand) is very good. Unlike others here, I've never had an issue with any of my MB or Pelikan pens.

  19. #19
    Craftsman Strnglwhank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    954
    I use sailor & OMAS both brands are brilliant though OMAS is no more.

    Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    Another reason for endorsing the Parker 51 is that the Queen us the same one for most of her life. She could have had the pick of any pen but she stuck with the 51.


    Just saying.

  21. #21
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,795
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I use sailor & OMAS both brands are brilliant though OMAS is no more.

    Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
    The people who worked for OMAS started Scribo

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,247
    Thanks for all the help, everyone. I live near Henley on Thames, it would be nice to see the pens first but I doubt there's much in the way of decent retailers nearby. I'll research the recommendations a bit and then post back - but I do like the idea of handing over the stolen Mont Blanc and getting a new one!

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,247
    What's the difference between a Pelican 800 and 805? Same price, look the same.

  24. #24
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,816
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    What's the difference between a Pelican 800 and 805? Same price, look the same.
    It's the trim. 800 is gold trim, 805 is rhodium trim. Else they are identical.

  25. #25
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    187
    I'd suggest getting a good condition Parker 51. I have one in teal with a gold cap and medium nib. Wonderful writing experience and perfect aesthetic. Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M1000 are good pens too. However the 51 is my absolute favourite. I actually dreamed about it the night before I found it on ebay!

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,247
    Pen choice now resolved, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thanks to an offer from a forum member.

    Unfortunately it looks like another situation where one isnít enoughÖ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    I rather foolishly forgot to mention that if anyone decides to buy a Parker 51, because they are a very good pen, make sure the tassie is fitted on the cap. Very often no tassie equates to no sale. In case you don't know what the tassie is, it is that little half pearly thingy that is screwed into the top of the pen cap.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I rather foolishly forgot to mention that if anyone decides to buy a Parker 51, because they are a very good pen, make sure the tassie is fitted on the cap. Very often no tassie equates to no sale. In case you don't know what the tassie is, it is that little half pearly thingy that is screwed into the top of the pen cap.
    Out of interest what pen colours / combinations do you recommend for the Parker 51 aerometric mark 1 custom? Black or burgundy body? Gold or steel cap?

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Out of interest what pen colours / combinations do you recommend for the Parker 51 aerometric mark 1 custom? Black or burgundy body? Gold or steel cap?
    I could well be out of touch now but in my buying days the grey body with a gold top was the one to have. My favourite colour is the burgundy.

    The colour is really down to personal taste but both gold or steel are readily available but gold will cost more. I prefer steel and all of mine are steel because I have a dislike of gold when it is used to look flash.

  30. #30
    Now that the pen is sorted, OP, itís time to investigate the world of inks!

    For my money, MB inks are consistently excellent writers, stable over their life, and really quite pleasing :)

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Now that the pen is sorted, OP, itís time to investigate the world of inks!

    For my money, MB inks are consistently excellent writers, stable over their life, and really quite pleasing :)
    What have I got myself into. Iíve just had some insights into inks! I thought ink was ink and to date Iíve had Mont Blanc blue and Mont Blanc black.

    But now Iím getting some Fire & Ice!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Now that the pen is sorted, OP, itís time to investigate the world of inks!

    For my money, MB inks are consistently excellent writers, stable over their life, and really quite pleasing :)
    Buy whatever brand you want but make sure you buy the washable version.

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    264

    Recommend me an ink pen

    This thread seems to be the ideal opportunity to ask , and I have no idea of the answer, so it is a genuine question , Ö what was the ink pen that King Charles lost patience with ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I could well be out of touch now but in my buying days the grey body with a gold top was the one to have. My favourite colour is the burgundy.

    The colour is really down to personal taste but both gold or steel are readily available but gold will cost more. I prefer steel and all of mine are steel because I have a dislike of gold when it is used to look flash.
    Thanks!

  35. #35
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die FuchsrŲhre
    Posts
    14,563
    Diamine inks, loads of different colours, not expensive.
    "A man of little significance"

  36. #36
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    18,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Diamine inks, loads of different colours, not expensive.
    Yep, great range of colours and reasonable prices. But best of all, theyíre excellent flowing inks. Their Salamander is the best green ink Iíve used in all my years, (Green has been my favourite, and main, writing colour since the 1960ís).
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ...
    This thread has made me think about getting a Parker 51.
    Where to but it from? Specialist of eBay?
    What's a fair price?

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    This thread has made me think about getting a Parker 51.
    Where to but it from? Specialist of eBay?
    What's a fair price?
    I am now out of touch with prices but there is loads for sale on eBay and the like. The main thing is that it works, has the tassie on it and not over scratched.

    There is a thriving cottage industry of small businesses and even retired guys who can repair pens and return them as good as new within a few days. Maintenance and parts is not a problem.

    However the Parker 51 is virtually bomb proof so everyone of them can be brought back to as new.

    As always google and Youtube are your friend.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    This thread has made me think about getting a Parker 51.
    Where to but it from? Specialist of eBay?
    What's a fair price?
    I have a vintage 51 and clutch pencil. I like hooded nibs. I find traditional nibs too flexible for my hard writing style. This could be garbage, but itís what I think. I also like the 61.

    Looks like the 51 has been reintroduced by Parker.

    Loads of online sellers.

    Quick search.

    https://www.penhome.co.uk/collections/vintage-parker-51

    https://www.vintagefountainpens.co.u...Parker-51.html

    https://www.parker51.co.uk/pens/p/19...d-pencil-set-3

    https://www.theonlinepencompany.com/...SAAEgI9L_D_BwE

    https://www.penheaven.co.uk/pen-bran...yAAEgKbQfD_BwE

    https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds


    https://parkerpens.net/parker51.html


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    This thread seems to be the ideal opportunity to ask , and I have no idea of the answer, so it is a genuine question , Ö what was the ink pen that King Charles lost patience with ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    A Montblanc Solitaire I believe.

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    What have I got myself into. Iíve just had some insights into inks! I thought ink was ink and to date Iíve had Mont Blanc blue and Mont Blanc black.

    But now Iím getting some Fire & Ice!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ink thats a whole new rabbit hole 😂😂. I must have 50+ bottles and over 150 samples.

    Fire and Ice is a well behaved ink suitable for everyday use, no sheen or shimmer in that one.

    Diamine are another great ink brand, made in the Uk and inexpensive.

  42. #42
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,816
    Check out the inks from J Herbelin and Robert Oster too.

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,905
    Mont Blanc make scented ink!!!! I like diamine from cult pens in cartridge format but Pelikan Edelstein seems good

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    A Montblanc Solitaire I believe.
    Thank you .


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    922
    Parker 51, burgundy, medium nib £55.70 at Amazon. Looks great value.

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

  46. #46
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Parker 51, burgundy, medium nib £55.70 at Amazon. Looks great value.

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Mont Blanc make scented ink!!!! I like diamine from cult pens in cartridge format but Pelikan Edelstein seems good
    The new version isn't a patch on the classic original sadly

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The new version isn't a patch on the classic original sadly
    Bu@@er. Back to the drawing board then...

    Best modern hooded fountain pen...?

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,905
    Is the Lamy 2000 hooded?

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Best modern hooded fountain pen...?
    Lamy 2000

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Is the Lamy 2000 hooded?
    Yes

  50. #50
    Thanks to this thread I bought a Lamy 2000 fountain pen last night - I hope youíre proud of yourselves.

    Cult Pens are doing them for £146 delivered, or £150 with a bottle of ink worth £10 included.

    You automatically get 10% off both at checkout too.

    There are other discount codes available for another 10% discount on top again.

    I have affection for anything Bauhaus inspired, so Iíve been meaning to try this design classic for ages.

    Good price for a ĎMade In Germanyí piston filler pen with a solid 14ct gold nib with platinum coating made in-house. The pen bodies are assembled and ground/polished by hand on belts at the factory to ensure even brushing where the steel and macrolon parts meet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information