closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Anniversary

Master

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Anniversary

Just popped into my inbox. 70th anniversary LE. Rather nice. Some other models coming too.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Well they haven’t released this version of the FF yet. I look forward to seeing it, I know I have no hope of actually buying it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Just popped into my inbox. 70th anniversary LE. Rather nice. Some other models coming too.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    thats an original fathoms.

Im looking forward to seeing what they release. I do like BP.

Master
    Looks like a sub 45mm FF on the way in ‘23

https://forums.timezone.com/index.ph...=0#msg_7738242

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Looks like a sub 45mm FF on the way in ‘23

https://forums.timezone.com/index.ph...=0#msg_7738242
    That's an interesting link. As suggested in the thread looks like larger than 40mm but smaller than 45mm. In the Blancpain e-mail it talks about:

"Timepieces and exclusive experiences will punctuate the next 12 months, orchestrated around the key number 70, as well as 20 and 10:
    70 for the 70th anniversary of the Fifty Fathoms; 20 for the 20th anniversary of the contemporary Fifty Fathoms and Blancpain’s Ocean Commitment; and 10 for the 10th anniversary of the Gombessa expeditions".

Hopefully a 70th anniversary model in decent quantities for mere mortals, plus a few others in lesser quantities that I won't stand a chance of getting.

Decent quantities lol.

If the 50th is anything to go but there were 150 watches, 50 for each “series” or region.
    Assuming they do the same, 70 for each region, that’s 210 watches.

At least nobody has moaned that they’re likely to be 13-15k (not that that’ll put off greedy flippers)

Upside it’s definatelty a scaled down 45mm case (you can tell by the lugs, its not the recycled concept 2000 case of the current 40mm that wear small).
    from one other image ive seen it wears more like a sub would, which would be a more goldilocks size for many.

Looks a lot like my one.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Apologies - I accidentally deleted my post from earlier on today:

After the first Fifty Fathoms Anniversary model was released in January, it looks like another will be released this week. I've seen a couple of teasers including one with a Helium escape valve. Blancpain's Instagram made reference to the deep so perhaps they'll release a more extreme diver like Omega's Ultra Deep or the titanium Deepsea - a new version of the 500 Fathoms.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

Hmm interested to see the idea behind the bezel markings in the bottom image.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th February 2023 at 08:35.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Anniversary

Looks good - Tech Gombessa

Last edited by JoePattinson; 16th February 2023 at 04:29.

Quite like the look of it and I'd be interested to see the ultra black dial treatment. 47mm and $28k though!

Who on earth thought that putting TECH on the dial was a good idea?!

Master

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Unusually for me as im a big FF fan, I find the lug and rubber arrangement on this really disconcerting to the point of dislike rather than indifference.
    Big fat no.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Who on earth thought that putting TECH on the dial was a good idea?!
    Generally speaking, it's a good thing to put the name of the watch on the dial, although I note that they left of the Gombessa part...

Ye gods!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Generally speaking, it's a good thing to put the name of the watch on the dial, although I note that they left of the Gombessa part...
    (o; OK, who thought that calling it Tech was a good idea. True, good call to leave out Gombessa - less is more.

I like the dial and bezel but the strap system just limits you to one strap. It would look so much better with standard lugs.

Blog Entries
    Say what now? Those bezel markers…. I just read the blurb. A hand that rotates 360 degrees in 3 hours.. that’s useful.

on so many levels - it’s a No from me. I’m sure they’ll be snapped up though.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th February 2023 at 20:06.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Errrr. All kinds of wrong.

Too big
    Weird lugs
    Stupid bezel
    Silly 3-hour hand
    Horrid orange numerals
    Too expensive

Not that I’m ever likely to have the disposable income for a blancpain but if I did, this isn’t how I’d spend it.

Fair enough as a concept piece like that Rolex deep sea challenge, you know, to prove a point or generally be a bit showy.

Master
    I think FF is the ultimate diving watch. But that isn’t great by any means. I do like that they’re having some fun. The first was nice, the second, interesting but not great. Next will likely be a 40mm, which is really the sweet spot so high expectations. However, I think the price is going be significantly higher than the previous versions.

Also, how many of these are being made?

Dear Mr Hayek, take the 45mm, shrink to 42mm, don't limit supply, and not ridiculous money, pretty please. I'm still patiently waiting.

Master
    I love the FF. The 40mm would be the right size, but it’s just a bit too expensive for me.

Any experience with the 2200-1130-71? It can be found for a bit less and is also 40mm.

I think this is an interesting solution to a problem few people will ever have, but also a fitting tribute to ten years support of the Gombessa projects. There are a limited number of biologists working at this depth, using these techniques (combined CCR / saturation) who will therefore need extended range and HEV, and I doubt many will want to drop $28k on a mechanical watch. However, that doesn’t stop me from liking it on paper. Weirdly, everyone who has seen it live at the various BP events likes it too - including those who also went CCR diving in Rangiroa. Interestingly, there’s another biologist, Luiz Rocha, who is also looking at deep coral reefs in a manner similar to Ballesta’s Gombessa team; he’s sponsored by Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    I love the FF. The 40mm would be the right size, but it’s just a bit too expensive for me.

Any experience with the 2200-1130-71? It can be found for a bit less and is also 40mm.
    I would definitely recommend trying on a 40mm FF (easier said than done given how few there are). I had the Hodinkee LE which I loved for a start. I'd always wanted a FF but have small wrists at just under 17cm. However, over time, I started to find the 40mm version too small. The bezel is quite wide, the dial quite small and the case kind of tapers down so it's narrower towards the wrist. As a result, it felt a little out of proportion and small, even on me. Combined with the hour hand being weirdly too long on the Hodinkee model (the kind of thing you can't unseen once you notice it), it eventually bugged me enough to sell it. I also think that the bezel insert is slightly flatter on the 40mm models so doesn't look quite as nice to my eye.

I think a 42mm model would be the Goldilocks size for a FF. I think the third (and reportedly final) anniversary LE is likely to be a 40mm. I initially thought it might be some kind of remake of the original model but I think the first Anniversary LE was their take on this given the references to 42mm being the original size. I think it might well be another blue dial like the Ocean Commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Errrr. All kinds of wrong.

Too big
    Weird lugs
    Stupid bezel
    Silly 3-hour hand
    Horrid orange numerals
    Too expensive

Not that I’m ever likely to have the disposable income for a blancpain but if I did, this isn’t how I’d spend it.

Fair enough as a concept piece like that Rolex deep sea challenge, you know, to prove a point or generally be a bit showy.
    I'd agree with most of those...........

The 42mm 70th anniversary model looks to be the perfect FF for me.

Love it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I agree - I think it'll look amazing in person with the numerals in solid lume. I much prefer the Anniversary LE's numerals and hands over those on the standard model. I was surprised the first LE wasn't discussed more in the media - I guess a combination of the limited availability plus the fact that Blancpain just released it online. There were quite a few media events for the Tech Gombessa.

First thing that struck me!
    Probably to be exclusive in replacement straps....

BUBI
    @porque.racing

Absolutely love it personally, cannot possibly ever hope to own one, but good to see a company like Blancpain experimenting a little.

This one isn’t for me and the size and price make me glad to have the very limited 40mm FF launched in 2003 to mark 50 years.

If they went with that model (and dropped the Blancpain text from the case side) they would conquer the world.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post

40mm sounds fine on paper but BP 40mms wear VERY small imo.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    40mm sounds fine on paper but BP 40mms wear VERY small imo.
    Snap (and my wrist is only 6.75"). I found the Mil Spec too small, and I cancelled 2 Barakuda orders (from new on release) as I expected it to be similarly small (albeit, as Celia still has this, maybe this wears bigger than the MS).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Snap (and my wrist is only 6.75"). I found the Mil Spec too small, and I cancelled 2 Barakuda orders (from new on release) as I expected it to be similarly small (albeit, as Celia still has this, maybe this wears bigger than the MS).
    It doesnt, they wear the same

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed.

I feel a bit better now - as those order cancellations are always in the back of my mind !

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This looks like the kind of watch you see a Tarquin launch on Kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    This looks like the kind of watch you see a Tarquin launch on Kickstarter.
    Well I wish he'd get a move-on, because I can't afford the real thing!