closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shoulder Pain

Master

Shoulder Pain

For the last couple of weeks I have had a full shoulder pain that just hasn’t cleared. I blamed it on a rubbish pillow in a hotel but still seem to be suffering.

Had no trauma to the area, so perplexed why it suddenly started to hurt and has never improved. I am a side sleeper, usually on this side & started to sleep on the other to see if it improved. No change.

Not entirely sure if I should be exercising or stretching it vs resting it to recover. 2 weeks without weights or the heavy bag seems to have made me gain weight too annoyingly.

Whereabouts on the shoulder? When I used to train on a heavy bag as part of a circuit I found I had a pain around my flys on my left shoulder. Burpees exacerbated it but it went away after changing to CrossFit and not doing a heavy bag. (Annoyingly it’s back after multiple sessions with burpees and wall walks).

weights and heavy bag, that explains it. You just have to lay off it for a while and a Dr would just say rest it

Journeyman
    Have had rotator cuff issues previously for exactly the same reasons and am very selective with what I do now - no more bench with a straight bar, for instance.

Below may be of interest and use.

Master

Shoulder Pain

Interesting on the rotator cuff, as that’s what I had diagnosed myself with. Dr Google and all that lol.

That video is interesting. Thanks
    Last edited by Mj2k; 24th November 2022 at 14:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Whereabouts on the shoulder? When I used to train on a heavy bag as part of a circuit I found I had a pain around my flys on my left shoulder. Burpees exacerbated it but it went away after changing to CrossFit and not doing a heavy bag. (Annoyingly it’s back after multiple sessions with burpees and wall walks).
    I’d say top of shoulder on the inner edge closest to the spine. Just an ongoing dull ache and sometimes a bigger pain if I go to lift something without thinking.

Short of putting my arm in a sling I seem to struggle resting it. I’m right handed and it’s my right shoulder. Hard combo to not use!

Blog Entries
    My dad had rotator cuff on the shoulder and it was painful for him especially when he tried to rotate the shoulder in a circle if you get what I mean or lift his arm above his head , he ended up with injections and the needed surgery , 3 years down the line he’s fine

Master
    I damaged my rotator cuff during a squash match. For a few weeks it was genuinely agonising, and it took a good few weeks to ease and then finally heal

I had to stop all my sports during those first weeks which was a pain and made life very boring. But it needed it!

Edited to add on reading another comment - I now remember raising my arm above head height was really painful and nigh on impossible without support from my other arm. If you’re experiencing similar I believe that’s a good indicator it’s the RC

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    Have had rotator cuff issues previously for exactly the same reasons and am very selective with what I do now - no more bench with a straight bar, for instance.

I also suffered/suffer from rotator cuff. Steroid injection and physio is improving it a lot. I have been told to NOT raise my arms above my head. Any relief from hanging is probably endorphins not improvement.

If it isn't better in a couple of weeks book into a physio. The shoulder is unique and I managed to disengage the cuff - got away with hanging/pull ups but now a much longer recovery so physio early really is the answer and would have saved me MRI,steroid injection and a few months off.

Master
    Got a couple of weeks relaxing by a pool, so will evaluate on my return. Likely new year by the time I can get seen.

Agree on physio early, when I prolapsed L4-5 years back it took weeks for the company to sign off physio and I was in spasm for weeks that needed lots of physio to release it and then work on the issue of alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’d say top of shoulder on the inner edge closest to the spine. Just an ongoing dull ache and sometimes a bigger pain if I go to lift something without thinking.

Short of putting my arm in a sling I seem to struggle resting it. I’m right handed and it’s my right shoulder. Hard combo to not use!
    Had a similar issue in that spot, had torn my infraspinatus (spelling). No idea from what, there was no pain and then exactly what you describe, a dull ache. When I got the massage ball on the wall to iron it out thinking it was just a strain I practically leapt through the window it was so painful.

I had ultrasound, massage and some rotation exercises with a band (put the band on a door handle, hold your arm by your side, forearm at 90 degrees and rotate outwards against the band if that makes sense?)

Got pain in both shoulders due to various bike and general gravity related accidents. I have steroid injections every 3-6 months. Some excercises will help but ateotd it will have to be the knife followed by long recovery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Had a similar issue in that spot, had torn my infraspinatus (spelling). No idea from what, there was no pain and then exactly what you describe, a dull ache. When I got the massage ball on the wall to iron it out thinking it was just a strain I practically leapt through the window it was so painful.

I had ultrasound, massage and some rotation exercises with a band (put the band on a door handle, hold your arm by your side, forearm at 90 degrees and rotate outwards against the band if that makes sense?)
    I did similar with the ball lol, won’t be using that there again! Just strange to have an injury without trauma. Perhaps an age thing.

Yes the exercise makes sense and similar to a lot of the shoulder physio ones. Will take a light band on holiday with me.

Craftsman
    I had rotator cuff pain for about 6 months - which came on slowly. Mine came from too much bench pressing. I rested for a few weeks. Having done a fair bit of research I came across a theory that if you do a pushing exercise follow it up with some pulling exercise. ie: 3 sets of bench then 3 sets of rows, shoulder press followed by pull ups, biceps then triceps, etc. Also whilst in pain over the head movements are a no, no as I believe the space where the shoulder ball rotates in it socket can hit the Acromion and cause pain.

'Outward rotation' exercise, as mentioned already, with a band every day was the big cure for me. High reps. I guess boxing mimics bench press 'inward rotation' and too much with give you grief.

Good luck as it's a bloody nuisance having that pain.

Grand Master
    Shoulder pain can be caused by spinal problems, many years ago I suffered pain in one shoulder that was caused by a protruding disc in my neck, physio and manipulation fixed it but it took several months to fully recover and I has to stop sleeping on one side. Never established the root cause, but using computers and poor seating posture exacerbated the problem together with too much breaststroke swimming.

Best advice is to get in investigated and properly diagnosed, which will inevitably involve paying for consultation. It could be a rotator cuff problem, I had that several years back and I believe it was caused by an injection into the wrong spot.

Master
    Will trigger my healthcare when I return as it’s making me more grumpy than usual lol. My posture is poor, for the reasons mentioned by Paul; even the best chairs when working from home I can still manage to hunch and slouch!

Thanks for all the views, clearly it needs sorting as it won’t be going away on its own based on the current situation. Pay for healthcare, might as well use it.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Best advice is to get in investigated and properly diagnosed, which will inevitably involve paying for consultation.
    This. I had shoulder pains a few years back and was initially prescribed physio which nearly crippled me.

I eventually needed a subacromial decompression on both sides (basically shaving bone). Physio & steroid injections were never going to cure the root problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post

Just hanging is a good warm up and stretch too before more vigorous resistance training.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Just hanging is a good warm up and stretch too before more vigorous resistance training.
    I’ve been doing this for years, at the end if a gym session I ‘dangle’ from a bar to let my spine and intercostal muscles stretch out. Started doing this in my 20s, still doing it at 60+.

Stand in front of a mirror and see if one should sits lower

Next. Raise your arm. Can you raise it full height?

Could be the shoulder muscle. Maybe bursitis

Had it in one shoulder and got a steroid injection for it. Month later. Other side and another shot and no problems since.

Doesn't always work for everyone though

Find a doctor that deals in sports medicine. Thats who was recommended to me

Craftsman
    Rest and rock tape working for me can’t bench much weight anymore but ok with dumbbells

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Got pain in both shoulders due to various bike and general gravity related accidents. I have steroid injections every 3-6 months. Some excercises will help but ateotd it will have to be the knife followed by long recovery.
    Steroid injections every 3-6 months is not a great idea as they can do long term damage to tendons/ligaments. Just had one in my knee which has been like a miracle but I won’t be having another.

Had a years physio on a shoulder issue, steroid injection etc. And it was eventually solved by a minor op (debraidment) and cleaning up a chronically ruptured bicep tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Steroid injections every 3-6 months is not a great idea as they can do long term damage to tendons/ligaments. Just had one in my knee which has been like a miracle but I won’t be having another.

Had a years physio on a shoulder issue, steroid injection etc. And it was eventually solved by a minor op (debraidment) and cleaning up a chronically ruptured bicep tendon.
    Physio is generally $h1t if there's a more deep rooted problem (like yours) Steroids can help by shielding that problem and the associated pain (ask me how I know for nigh on 12 months now. Brilliant).
    An op, as you've had is the only real cure but the waiting times are bananas. Not everyone has private health insurance or deep enough pockets to rock up to a consultant and say "sort that".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Physio is generally $h1t if there's a more deep rooted problem (like yours) Steroids can help by shielding that problem and the associated pain (ask me how I know for nigh on 12 months now. Brilliant).
    An op, as you've had is the only real cure but the waiting times are bananas. Not everyone has private health insurance or deep enough pockets to rock up to a consultant and say "sort that".
    Yep I realise that. My consultant didn’t want to do anything and was happy that I was doing physio for a year. It was my physio that pushed him into doing something. I get that they would rather not do anything intrusive if not necessary, but a year of physio was a bit much.
    Fortunately I had private insurance and had it done.

Yeah, a year of physio would be a total drag and as you say, not worth a carrot as it turned out. Good shout from your physio for having the consultant get a wriggle on. Not sure what he was hanging round for given it was private work. Glad you're sorted though. I'm still riding high on a steroid jab, it's been a revelation for me.

A wild stab - do you have any psoriasis in your hands?

The nerves in your hands affected by psoriasis can cause neuralgia pain as far up as your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Yeah, a year of physio would be a total drag and as you say, not worth a carrot as it turned out. Good shout from your physio for having the consultant get a wriggle on. Not sure what he was hanging round for given it was private work. Glad you're sorted though. I'm still riding high on a steroid jab, it's been a revelation for me.
    interesting experience with physio, I’ve used a couple of guys locally that I’ve got to know well (old age, it’s just a series of running repairs 🙄) and their ethos is that if we can’t make a marked difference with physio in 4 sessions then it’s medical/surgical. That’s not to say cured within 4 sessions but a marked difference.

(as an aside they’re quite well known locally for getting a paralysed lady walking again through physio alone).

People want a fix rather than a marked difference. If the problem is joint based as in the shoulder, you could have physio and muscle building and be Charles Atlas but the problem ain't gonna go away.

For some respite try massaging magnesium gel into the area. Then just rest it. Use your legs to keep fit instead

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A wild stab - do you have any psoriasis in your hands?

The nerves in your hands affected by psoriasis can cause neuralgia pain as far up as your shoulder.
    Bloody hell, ok - I have suffered for a few years following a huge stress moment; was all over my body at the time.

Now down to small patches on both knees, and one elbow - plus a small patch on my head.

However my elbow psoriasis is on the opposite side to the shoulder pain.

Intersting though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    For some respite try massaging magnesium gel into the area. Then just rest it. Use your legs to keep fit instead
    Never been a runner! Walking is good; wish I had the room around the heavy bag for proper leg & knee work...may do more pain hitting solid surfaces with my flesh ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Bloody hell, ok - I have suffered for a few years following a huge stress moment; was all over my body at the time.

Now down to small patches on both knees, and one elbow - plus a small patch on my head.

However my elbow psoriasis is on the opposite side to the shoulder pain.

Intersting though.

It is more likely - if you have active psoriasis in fingers, especially the tips where the nerves are so sensitive. You get the local super-tenderness but the neuralgia can manifest as an overpowering ache in upper arms and shoulder. It doesn't sound like your condition is connected.

Well I am joining the gang of shoulder suffering

Woke up with severe pain Monday unable to lift left arm above waist and front of shoulder hurt to even touch.

Physio fit me in Tuesday and said looked to be in spasm 30 mins of tens and manipulating which was excruciating.

Asked me to come in Wednesday to try more treatment- even more painful

Said could be tear in Rotator and need heavy painkillers and anti inflammatory medication

Rang GP who was fab prescibed drugs and to my amazement got me a scan for today

Scan shows major inflammation and a tear sooo results to be sent to GP but gent who did scan said once its gone down probable injections or surgery

Great.

But I must say NHS have performed brilliantly thus far for which i am massively grateful.

For those who haven’t experienced ‘rotator damage’ its really quite painful.

* and no I won’t be hanging off anything just yet.
    Last edited by TKH; 18th December 2022 at 07:11.

Master

Shoulder Pain

Wow, you seem to have had a great result in a short space of time.

Since posting and 3 weeks of not using my shoulder, it seems to have become muscular in origin after rest on holiday - or so I’m hoping.

Paul (pitch) mentioned deep tissue massage & pinpointed the exact movement that hurt. I’ve done my own massage until my thumb was in agony (fair play to physios!). I now have 2 massage balls to use; the dimpled one has left marks in the wall I need to fill and paint #think!

I think I’ve just had a spasm and not recovered; like my spine when it wasn’t treated, it just gets worse. Not out the woods yet but so much better.

TKH hope you continue to get it sorted, and ongoing pain is so tiring and you almost forget that until it’s gone & you’re full of energy again.