closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WatchFinder Offer (TAG Heuer) - An Insult or Not?

WatchFinder Offer (TAG Heuer) - An Insult or Not?

Hi all. Haven’t bought a new watch for quite some time, had my eye on something but in the spirit of the old ‘one in one out’ policy I considered selling my Tag AquaRacer first, and out of curiosity got a WF quote.

This is the previous (and in my opinion best) generation AquaRacer, year old watch, box, papers, links etc, automatic version, pic below for reference. They are discontinued now, but some retailers still have the odd one in stock, retailing around £1850 I think.

They came back with an offer of £525 - £600. Now I know times are tough, and I know TAG don’t hold their value especially well, but even so that seems like a proper lowball to me? Am I wrong to just delete that email in annoyance?! Anyone else tried WF lately and found similar? I’ve had much more solid offers from them in the past, including several hundred more for a not dissimilar AquaRacer a couple of years back. Wondering if they are assuming folk are willing to sell stuff on the cheap with the cost of living crisis, and trying to take advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say no, just realistic. SC very slow, TAG not the most robust re-sale etc, etc...

However, they have a 2020 Aquaracer advertised for £1,650...

Buyers market I guess.

Looking at eBay completed listings this model sells in the £700 - £800 range so I would say their offer is fair. You would their buy price to be less than a private sale

Master
    If you sell you are going to lose money - simple as that. Most watches are cash soakers and the offer is about right.

For some reason, very few people around here latch onto this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you sell you are going to lose money - simple as that. Most watches are cash soakers and the offer is about right.

For some reason, very few people around here latch onto this.
    I don't think the original retail vs the offer is the issue here, it's the offer vs WF retail.

WF can offer what they want, it's a business after all - likewise, you are under no obligations. The market is uncertain, so why shouldn't they add in more margin? TBH, it's not a watch you would buy at RRP and not expect to lose a shedload on quick resale in any market, and an economic slump / recession will be (rightly-so) even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Hi all. Haven’t bought a new watch for quite some time, had my eye on something but in the spirit of the old ‘one in one out’ policy I considered selling my Tag AquaRacer first, and out of curiosity got a WF quote.

This is the previous (and in my opinion best) generation AquaRacer, year old watch, box, papers, links etc, automatic version, pic below for reference. They are discontinued now, but some retailers still have the odd one in stock, retailing around £1850 I think.

They came back with an offer of £525 - £600. Now I know times are tough, and I know TAG don’t hold their value especially well, but even so that seems like a proper lowball to me? Am I wrong to just delete that email in annoyance?! Anyone else tried WF lately and found similar? I’ve had much more solid offers from them in the past, including several hundred more for a not dissimilar AquaRacer a couple of years back. Wondering if they are assuming folk are willing to sell stuff on the cheap with the cost of living crisis, and trying to take advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a very low offer in line with the fact they have to make some money on the transaction and they know it is not the most desirable Watch. They have been lowballing on plenty of stuff lately.
    A mate did ask for an offer on a vintage omega chrono usually worth in average condition around 2k on the second hand market, he got an offer under 500…

Would 100% sell privately and on the forum than to them, especially on a Tag

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    That is a very low offer in line with the fact they have to make some money on the transaction and they know it is not the most desirable Watch. They have been lowballing on plenty of stuff lately.
    A mate did ask for an offer on a vintage omega chrono usually worth in average condition around 2k on the second hand market, he got an offer under 500…

Would 100% sell privately and on the forum than to them, especially on a Tag
    I’m not even sure I’ll sell it, it’s a nice watch and I’m happy to keep it and enjoy it, was just curious really and a little surprised that the quote was about £300 lower than a very similar AquaRacer I sold to them about 2 years ago. Just wondered what people thought and whether others had noticed seemingly low offers from them.
    Last edited by davidj54; 28th November 2022 at 16:29.

I'd expect this kind of dealer offer for a brand that doesn't have the residuals of Rolex and might not sell particularly quickly.

I think the offer versus their retail price is just them saying they don't really want this watch. Bit like when a tradesman gives an extortionate quote...he'll do the job if the customer is willing to overpay but doesn't particularly want it.

I think over the last few buoyant years, everyone has become used to dealers offering top prices for watches. I remember back when I started collecting in the early 2000s, dealer prices weren't great - you'd always recoup a lot more selling on a private forum. It's only really a recent trend that selling to dealers became easy and on a par/close to private sale prices. I think this will reverse back to how it used to be.
    Last edited by Christian; 28th November 2022 at 14:49.

I have a similar Aquaracer, mine has a blue ceramic bezel but apart from that looks pretty much the same (mine is 41mm). I just checked ebay for sold prices and last 2 both sold for around £800. It looks to me that the watchfinder offer seems pretty fair. As mentioned earlier, Tag Heuers are particularly bad when it comes to holding any value. I won’t be buying another that’s for sure.

I have a similar Tag and got similar values a while back when considering offloading it.
    At that price, I’m hanging onto mine and my son can have it when he’s 18 lol

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tags can change hands between the trade at -30/40% off RRP unworn.
    Offers on pre owned pieces that change hands at a big discount on new will be at around -60-70%
    The demographic they'd be selling that to is the demographic least likely to be buying at the minute because of the cost of living crisis eating away regular peoples fun money.

Personally id keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Personally id keep it.
    Agree with this. It's a sharp looking watch. Make it a keeper!

Master
    I’d imagine the last thing WF need at present is stock. I’d be surprised if they’re even offering rrp for Sought after Rolex soon. Well standard subs at least

Watchfinder are generally low balling on watches and have been for over a year . When they started their sale early on this year a lot of people thought it was a usual thing but they have a do not buy list and they put on that do not buy list i kid you not apart from the daytona every single sport rolex . There was a period of about 2 months where they did not touch Rolex .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It’s not a great offer but certainly no worse than what most dealers would want to pay. Unless you’re desperate for the cash I would hang on to it and enjoy wearing it. A number of years ago I bought a Tudor Pelagos (the original 2 liner ETA) from an AD for £2400. I wore it once and decided it wasn’t for me so took it back to them for a P/X value and was shocked when they hit me with a figure of £700 !!!
    When I asked why they’re valuation was so low the salesman explained that it wasn’t a particularly saleable watch and they would most likely have to sit on it for some time and therefore felt it was a fair figure. Needless to say I eventually sold it privately for £1100 more !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    As mentioned earlier, Tag Heuers are particularly bad when it comes to holding any value. I won’t be buying another that’s for sure.
    Just buy one a few years old and at rock bottom prices, with little depreciation left. An Tag Auto in half decent condition will not fall below £500 even after 15 years, so buy a 5 year old one for £800 and the most you can lose over 10 years is pocket money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Suspect WF realise a lot of their mid tier brand stock isn't going to sell for anything other than a loss, so they are proactively balancing the books with paltry offers for incoming.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Just buy one a few years old and at rock bottom prices, with little depreciation left. An Tag Auto in half decent condition will not fall below £500 even after 15 years, so buy a 5 year old one for £800 and the most you can lose over 10 years is pocket money.
    Good advice. I`ve worked on a few over the years and always been impressed with the quality, as a second-hand buy in their first flush of youth they're a bargain and make far more sense than paying £2k for a tired Omega that's 20 years old. One black-dialled steel dive watch is pretty much the same as another when all's said and done, on that basis the TAG makes a lot of sense and you are getting a quality ETA movement that's straightforward to service.