closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for wearing to the gym?

Master

Watch for wearing to the gym?

My couch potato days are at least theoretically coming to and end, I've joined a gym and starting to go there 2-3 times a week. Mixture of weights, cardio, stretches, sauna and swimming. I have a 10kg weight loss target (95kg down to 85kg) and am about to embark on the Zoe programme where I've finally had a membership confirmation.

Is there such a thing as a cheap-ish sports watch that could track vitals etc, perhaps sending data to the iPhone in some shape or form, that tells the time while you are exercising as well, but that you don't have to wear all day? Would be nice if it could be worn in the pool too but I suspect that's not feasible at the sort of budget I'm thinking. Something I can wear when I grab my gym kit and ignore when I'm not actually training.

Sub-£100? Or am I dreaming and anything that cheap would just break/stop charging after a few weeks?

Master
    I've just bought a Garmin Forerunner 45 which would do most of that. That said for swimming and the sauna I Wouldn't wear anything other than a G-Shock.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I mainly wear my CWC diver and track my data using an online log post hoc. I think the important stats (weights going up on the barbell and down on the scales) can be tracked without any smart tech, but I'm a bit of a luddite. I also run and swim but a rough indication of time is all I need, Parkrun provides more data than I want. Finally I see exercise as an opportunity to disengage from technology.

In direct answer to the OP's original question. My wife and daughter are both happy with their Garmin. Robust and lots of features for the price.

Master
    thanks guys both look worth exploring, much appreciated.

Master
    Apple Watch. I use my solely for the gym. Records everything, flexible in set up and on the Milanese it can be moved up your arm if you end up using hooks (as I do) for some exercises without losing heartbeat tracking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Apple Watch. I use my solely for the gym. Records everything, flexible in set up and on the Milanese it can be moved up your arm if you end up using hooks (as I do) for some exercises without losing heartbeat tracking.
    Agreed Apple watch.
    I use mine for indoor running and swimming. It's very accurate for this, which is quite amazing, considering it can't use GPS for these exercises specifically.

If you dont care about other apps etc, just buy a cheap older one off the forum, they come up quite often.

Garmin or Apple watch will cover 90% of answers here. Garmin is better if you don't want to constantly charge it or pony up for the Apple Watch Ultra/Pro

Watch for wearing to the gym?

Another vote for Apple Watch. Plenty of refurbished and preowned series 4 and on for just over your budget. Be careful to check the battery isn’t shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Another vote for Apple Watch. Plenty of refurbished and preowned series 4 and on for just over your budget. Be careful to check the battery isn’t shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idiot question but how do you do that?

Craftsman
    Another vote for an older Apple Watch.

For the battery, you will need to ask the seller to confirm the ‘Battery Heath’ unless it’s new and you could presume it’s 100%.

Journeyman
    I killed 3 fitbits in 3 months due to sauna and/or trauma (inside boxing gloves).

Switched to 1st gen Garmin Instinct (now down to circa £150). Indestructible. Been in sauna 3 - 4 times a week, whacked with kettlebells, used every day, and just wont give up after three years of abuse.....

Not sure if other Garmins are as robust, though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    I killed 3 fitbits in 3 months due to sauna and/or trauma (inside boxing gloves).

Switched to 1st gen Garmin Instinct (now down to circa £150). Indestructible. Been in sauna 3 - 4 times a week, whacked with kettlebells, used every day, and just wont give up after three years of abuse.....

Not sure if other Garmins are as robust, though.
    That's really useful thanks!

There's the latest Garmin Instinct Solar on SC currently, would be a good bet

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Can’t go wrong with a Garmin.

Maybe a citizen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Maybe a citizen

[/url]
    Which citizen?

I had a look at the Garmin but I'm not a runner or cyclist so don't need the GPS stuff.

Fitbit might be the way to go though as said I doubt it will go in the pool.

My old iWatch (or Apple Watch - due to Swatch's intervention) seves me well.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Platona on each wrist.

[QUOTE=ralphy;6110616]My old iWatch (or Apple Watch - due to Swatch's intervention) seves me well.

My gym has turned down the heating too,

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    The belt on my trousers is the best app Ive ever used.

I use my apple watch to monitoring the heartbeat that do not goes more than 130. It is very useful.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Casio F91, all I need to know is the time. Can’t understand tge obsession with ‘collecting data’ etc when exercising. My typical gym session consists of 10 mins cardio ( cross trainer), 1 hr on weights with short recoveries , then 10 mins cardio to finish. Might do more cardio and less weights and vice versa, but the basic session is the same. Really can’t see what a fitbit or Apple watch would add, if anything it would be a distraction. If you’ve got health issues and need to monitor your heart rate that’s different, but for most folks I can’t see the point. Tech for tech’s sake.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Casio F91, all I need to know is the time. Can’t understand tge obsession with ‘collecting data’ etc when exercising. My typical gym session consists of 10 mins cardio ( cross trainer), 1 hr on weights with short recoveries , then 10 mins cardio to finish. Might do more cardio and less weights and vice versa, but the basic session is the same. Really can’t see what a fitbit or Apple watch would add, if anything it would be a distraction. If you’ve got health issues and need to monitor your heart rate that’s different, but for most folks I can’t see the point. Tech for tech’s sake.
    Suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. I'm currently in training to do another cycling competition next year and it's very handy to know what Heart Rate Zone I'm in at any given point and if my VO2 max is increasing via intense training or intervals etc. Might not work for you but data collection can be useful for many.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Platona on each wrist.
    I also put the SD on one ankle and the Smurf on the other.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. I'm currently in training to do another cycling competition next year and it's very handy to know what Heart Rate Zone I'm in at any given point and if my VO2 max is increasing via intense training or intervals etc. Might not work for you but data collection can be useful for many.
    How was all that done many many years ago without tech.
    The 1st over the line was fitter,all the others needed to put more effort into their training.

For the average gym goer/keep fit person with no health issues that need to be monitored(and were that the case maybe strenuous excercise isnt wise anyway).
    I think its tech for techs sake tbh,I go to the gym and do what I do to keep the weight in check.A smart watch doesn't need to be with me,my Rangeman is,even that is surplus.

Marketing is what it is.....and we all know its that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    The 1st over the line was fitter,all the others needed to put more effort into their training.

For the average gym goer/keep fit person with no health issues that need to be monitored(and were that the case maybe strenuous excercise isnt wise anyway).
    I think its tech for techs sake tbh,I go to the gym and do what I do to keep the weight in check.A smart watch doesn't need to be with me,my Rangeman is,even that is surplus.

It wasn't done years ago as it wasn't available, does that mean that we shouldn't use tech that's now available to improve on things? You go to the gym to keep your weight in check, which is great. I go to the gym to train for competitions and find the data extremely useful. It's not for you but that doesn't mean it's not helpful to others.

Master
    I was very much in your camp Paul.

However when I took up running and became addicted to it I wanted to keep a record of my miles. My Garmin made that easy to log it.

I don't run as much anymore but still crank out plenty of resistance training. I can record my rest intervals and effort times and it'll log it. I keep my activities diary in my Garmin app.

There is a part of the user base that will become hooked on knowing exactly what every metric is doing for them. Did I get enough sleep did I wet the bed again etc.

I think the sports watches are an valid tool and there is a place for them and shouldn't just be written off.

Just my opinion.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by raydin View Post
    I was very much in your camp Paul.

I think the sports watches are an valid tool and there is a place for them and shouldn't just be written off.

Just my opinion.
    Agreed. Not for everyone - for sure. But the OP has a definite target - 10kg weight loss.

That means he has to achieve a calorie deficit though a combination of input and output.

Knowing what your calorie expenditure is can be highly useful when used in conjuncture with counting calories in. Removes much of the guess work and quickens results.

Personally, I'd recommended wearing one all the time whilst in an active weight loss program - not just in the gym.

The gym is only a small part of the final outcome - you can't outrun a bad diet.

It can be valuable to see your better choices being illustrated in better sleep patterns, lowered resting heart rate, and increased step counts. All valuable motivation and tools, in my opinion, when you have a definite target.

It makes the final target a simple exercise in maths (worked out by the gadget on your wrist - or worn on your finger) and consistency.

Or you can just ignore these tools as "Tech for techs sake" and proceed with guess work, intuition or the notch on your belt.

Each to their own. Both methods can work.

Craftsman
    I'd recommend Fitbit. I've got the Inspire 2 which I've used for almost 2 years. It's small and pretty discreet so I feel happy to wear it with a 'proper' watch which I do daily, but it also captures lots of good data points for exercise. I regularly do long walks, weights in the gym, swimming, and even wear it most days in the shower. Battery lasts ages because it's only got a tiny LED screen, but the app is excellent and it integrates to MyFitnessPal to sync with your dietary requirements to meet weight loss goals.

If it were to die tomorrow, I'd immediately buy another exactly the same. Plus it is pretty cheap - currently £45 on Amazon.

Good luck with the 10kg, I'm also attempting another drop and have 6kg to go - don't go too hard on yourself over festive period!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

I agree with some of that but I think it can als help motivate. When people see how many steps they have walked or calories burned or minutes exercised, it is a positive reinforcement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I agree with some of that but I think it can als help motivate. When people see how many steps they have walked or calories burned or minutes exercised, it is a positive reinforcement.
    Exactly this.

I wear mine every session, I use it to keep my heart rate around 120bpm (which is the ideal rate for fat burning at my age - and it's all too easy to stop for a while to chat to the delicious ladies in the gym), plus the time I'm working out, along with calories burned during exercise and total calories for the session.

Then it gives me an overview for the month for everything, and each session is specific to the exercise (in my case weight training). I can see week to week and month to month my progress which helps to regulate and schedule my sessions to achieve balance. November 2022 was a decent month, I destroyed 12,035 calories across my sessions.

Yes, I could manage without it - I can see in the mirror where I need to increase work, and I can feel which muscles could work harder or are being overworked, and I can feel the fit of my clothes, BUT the tracking really does help.

When I set out on my new life in mid-2021 I would have had no idea what I was actually burning and achieving, but the AW made it easy to monitor. I wouldn't be without it frankly.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 27th November 2022 at 12:53.

Typical TZ discussion.

OP states sub £100 budget, posts follow immediately suggesting £500 options

I think I saw Sekonda or Timex are making one around the £100 mark.

Or just get a cheap fit-band (Huawei make some perfectly servicable ones for sub £30) and keep on wearing a watch.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?