closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What would you choose

Master
    Blog Entries

What would you choose

I have been admiring these watches for a while now Straton from America the auto uses the old favourite Valijoux 7750 totally reliable and robust all be it a tad noisy, Costing £1100. The quartz is less than half the price at £456, on the Auto 7750 you do get day date.

I will only wear the watch in the Summer time and thought the 70s retro look and being Yellow would look great with my 74 Yellow TR6. I could buy both of the quartz and still have change from buying the auto, but the pull of the auto is very strong.

What would you guys do. Pics below

image hosting site

Lovely TR6
    I would get the auto with yellow dial personally, and feel happy driving towards the sunset as it lights up the yellow from both the watch and the car

Master
    I believe they use the Seiko Mecaquartz movement which gives the excellent timekeeping of a quartz (plus the grab-n-go aspect), and a chrono seconds hand that emulates an auto.

It's ultimately your decision, but as it's a fun, summer watch, I'd go for the quartz myself (not that there's anything wrong with a Valjoux 7750 of course).

Gorgeous looking watches those two; Straton are very good at the retro thing. I still love the Curve.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 23rd November 2022 at 13:18.

Grand Master
    I would get the quartz, it'll always be running and won't need setting on the occasions you take the car out.

I`m a traditionalist, when I take my 1970 MGB out I try to wear something from the same era, which isn`t difficult because most of my collection tick that box.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I would get the quartz, it'll always be running and won't need setting on the occasions you take the car out.

I`m a traditionalist, when I take my 1970 MGB out I try to wear something from the same era, which isn`t difficult because most of my collection tick that box.
    Presumably you'll also wear flares though appreciate difficult to drive in platform shoes.

Or that would be weird?

Having owned a Mecaquartz before that would be my choice, as for colour the yellow smacks too much of 'coordination', - handbags, shoes, whereas the blue looks more like you mean business.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd November 2022 at 14:24.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    ...when I take my 1970 MGB out I try to wear something from the same era...
    Does that include the young lady in a miniskirt that seemed to be attached to the bonnet in all their adverts?

I owned a Starton Bullhead mecaquartz - bought and later sold here - it was one of the prettiest and best-designed watches I've had on my wrist, the quality and finish was easily above its cost. I sold it because it was so pretty and so perfect that I was scared of being that one clown that damaged it. Which is dumb, but I am a clumsy see-you-next-Tuesday... . . .

Personally, I'd go Quartz - for a grab'n'go summertime watch, convenience is all, plus, lovely though they are, they freefall in value.

PS: that TR is bloody lovely!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I owned a Starton Bullhead mecaquartz - bought and later sold here - it was one of the prettiest and best-designed watches I've had on my wrist, the quality and finish was easily above its cost. I sold it because it was so pretty and so perfect that I was scared of being that one clown that damaged it. Which is dumb, but I am a clumsy see-you-next-Tuesday... . . .

Personally, I'd go Quartz - for a grab'n'go summertime watch, convenience is all, plus, lovely though they are, they freefall in value.

PS: that TR is bloody lovely!

Thanks

It’s not going to be a flipper, as eyes roll

Loved my Straton Syncro Auto until it literally stopped working.
    I've not yet gotten around to getting it fixed but it will not start no matter how much winding I do.
    Not denigrating the brand - I know they make a good product - it's just unfortunate.

Here it is in better days:

Grand Master
    I definitely think the grab and go aspect of the quartz would tip the balance in its favour.

I’ve met the OP in the past to do a watch deal, we share common interests with classic cars and watches, as a former TR6 owner I share the enthusiasm for the car. Mine hated bumpy roads and unfortunately my area of West Yorks is riddled with them, with a separate chassis that’s none too stiff the TR always creaked and rattled unless the road was super- smooth, the MGs far better in that respect. The TR6 oozes character and has very decent performance for a classic, but driving briskly along an uneven country road reminded me of taking a large dog for a walk, you keep a firm grip because you’re never sure which way it’s going to pull next. Despite its limitations I miss my TR and there are days when I regret selling.

I think the colour co-ordinated watch theme has mileage in it, why not go the whole hog and wear yellow clothes too? Could even eat a banana whilst driving.........or maybe not, both hands on the wheel are a distinct advantage when taming the TR!

Hope y’all get as much pleasure from reading this drivel as I’ve had typing it, it’s brightened an otherwise gloomy day for me, I’ll be glad when this week is over for several reasons.

I own the straton syncro automatic and it's a cracking watch for the money.

Sent from a technical device.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I definitely think the grab and go aspect of the quartz would tip the balance in its favour.

I’ve met the OP in the past to do a watch deal, we share common interests with classic cars and watches, as a former TR6 owner I share the enthusiasm for the car. Mine hated bumpy roads and unfortunately my area of West Yorks is riddled with them, with a separate chassis that’s none too stiff the TR always creaked and rattled unless the road was super- smooth, the MGs far better in that respect. The TR6 oozes character and has very decent performance for a classic, but driving briskly along an uneven country road reminded me of taking a large dog for a walk, you keep a firm grip because you’re never sure which way it’s going to pull next. Despite its limitations I miss my TR and there are days when I regret selling.

I think the colour co-ordinated watch theme has mileage in it, why not go the whole hog and wear yellow clothes too? Could even eat a banana whilst driving.........or maybe not, both hands on the wheel are a distinct advantage when taming the TR!

Hope y’all get as much pleasure from reading this drivel as I’ve had typing it, it’s brightened an otherwise gloomy day for me, I’ll be glad when this week is over for several reasons.

On the clothing front Paul a yellow Polo would be about it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    On the clothing front Paul a yellow Polo would be about it.
    Go the whole hog and get the matching yellow shorts.....trust me you’d look great!

I'd get the quartz. Not only for the grab and go aspect but because it doesn't have the day/date. I despise the date function by itself; the day display just adds to the misery for me.

Great looking car BTW

Quartz is the way as it’s basically a fun watch so why pay over odds for the same experience

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app