closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous People You Have Spotted In The Wild

Master
    Blog Entries
    I spent a few days cycling with Dermot Murnaghan, I had no idea who he was and he said nothing. Just joined in and always did his turn on the front.

Master
    Blog Entries
    … the other one was I was once hosting a meeting is some non-descript hotel near Heathrow and we were getting disturbed by some idiot talking really loud on their mobile in the corridor.

I went out and there was some stumpy bloke with white hair shouting down his mobile, I told him to shut the f*** up and he waved and scuttled off down the corridor still shouting.

Was only a few days later when I saw him on TV that I realised who it was … Bernie Ecclestone.

Master
    Bobby Knutt in Meadowhall
    Lana Del Rey outside Claridges

Brian Hanrahan on Rue de Vermont in Geneva
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Elvis Costello in Schuh, Carnaby street. Terence Stamp on the central line.

Blog Entries
    I had Pi-Air van Hooijdonk (striker for Nottingham Forest in the late '90) on my boat, learning him how to sail on inland waters. Nice bloke.

(He's currently commentator for Dutch TV. He's on TV on a regular basis; believe me, I'm happy that I'm not famous. When out on the lakes, we always have lunch in a restaurant on the lakes' shores around noon. He cannot sit down and have a quiet lunch. People approach him for selfies, their comment on his comments. Some are nice, some are really obnoxious. I nearly felt sorry for him).

Ruud Gullit (AC Milan, unsuccesful Newcastle coach) sat before me in the plane from Amsterdam to Miami. First, he and I were taken out of the line for an extra luggage check. In public. All eyes on him, not on me. That scr@wed his day. There were only a handful of passengers in our part of the plane, 12 or so. The guy was as moody as h@ll during the flight. Out loud to the flight attendants etc. Even the nice lady he was with commented loudly with: "Stop it Ruud, you're a pain in the ass to all around you, including the other passengers."

Paddington Bear in Miraflores, Lima after a few Pisco Sours

Master
    Had an interesting train journey home from Bristol back in 2012. Five blokes got on the train at Bath and sat in front of me at tables. I realised pretty early on that it was Bob Geldof and his band (they were playing at the Cheese and Grain in my home town that night).

It was fascinating listening to them talking about Badfinger (remember them?) and the Beatles from first hand experiences.

Geldof was as scruffy as ever. The train was half empty and nobody bar me seemed to recognise him. He was a lot taller than I imagined. It was all a bit surreal really.

Did I go to see him? Not at £24 I didn't. I should have asked him for some spare tickets I suppose.

scooter

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    It was fascinating listening to them talking about Badfinger (remember them?)
    Brilliant band, amongst their body of work Pete Ham and Tom Evans (the two members that sadly commited suicide) wrote "Without You", one of the best ballads ever, especially after Nilsson covered it and gave it his treatment.

Michael Portollo buying a paper the evening before he lost his seat in the general election.

I remember thinking that I hoped he lost and seeing how good a travel presenter he is, I'm even gladder in retrospect!

Rob Brydon on a tube train (my colleague pointed him out, although there was only 3 of us in the carriage! I'm not a great celeb spotter).

Queen Mother shopping in a Windsor department store when I was a kid.

Mike Smith, the DJ, asking if I knew who he was when I explained there was nowhere to park in Thruxton paddock. He looked very sheepish when he drove back out because there wasn't... Will Hoy, a proper racing driver, happily went where I directed him.

ETA Just come back to add, I was filling my Marcos up with fuel on the Hogs Back once and a Ferrari 250GTO was parked next to me.

I recognised the plate as Nick Mason's car (I mean, how often do you find a 250GTO at the pump next to you?) - He came out as I was just finishing topping up and gave me a nod, which I interpreted as a nod of acknowledgement to a fellow enthusiast. Classy chap.

Just remembered, saw Hermione Norris and her son eating lunch in the Fox at Ansty one day, must've been about 4 years ago. I don't usually recognise people but did the cartoon 'double take' as she walked in.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th December 2022 at 17:20.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    All of Duran Duran at the Place de la Concorde in May 1985 doing a promo for a View to a Kill. Some vans pulled up and got instruments out and they followed, we spoke to them after for a while.

Drew Barrymore and Tom Green filling up a Merc on the other side of the pump in LA some time in October 2001, smiled and said hello.

Eric Balfour (24, what women want, six feet under) on Santa Monica blvd for Halloween, we were with my cousin meeting some of her friends and he was one of them. We actually spent the rest of the night at his girlfriends mothers bar as she was French and allowed smoking lol.

Same trip in 2001 but we were in Vegas and also sticking with another Green but Seth Green this time, he was eating lunch at the next table to us. Apparently he loves a bit of gambling and was a canny bloke..

Tbh spend a bit of time in LA it’s hard not to spot people.

I’ve spent a bit of time with a few musicians whilst doing my part time work/hobby including Shaun Ryder and the rest of the Happy Mondays. Also Rick Witter shed seven and Ben a few times setting up DJ stuff, both were really spot on but not exactly in the wild.

Got pissed with Damon Albarn and Blur in Bourbon St, New Orleans, back in the 90’s.

I was at a coal conference and heard a band play Song 2 so good I had to stop by the bar. Much to my surprise, it was actually Blur, and knowing Damon from teenage days, being a Colchester lad, we got hammered.

Strip bars ensued, where we met a beautiful girl, also from Colchester! Surreal night indeed!
    Last edited by Chinnock; 25th November 2022 at 23:33.

Your mum

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Your mum
    Don’t what to put a downer on it, but she was already dead.

ps. Appreciate the humour, and no offence taken.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 25th November 2022 at 23:46.

John Major, NEC motor-show in the early 90s, spun around in the foyer bit and there he was stood just behind me.
    Kevin Mcloud was a customer along with, Ian Woodyat, Tina Hobley, Denise Van Outen, Pam Ayers and Dudley Russell, Melinda Messinger, John Taylor Duran Duran,
    Tried to get Bear Grylls along to our 100 year scouts anniversary but he wouldn't commit, he lives quite close in Ramsbury.
    Paul martin spat in my face and i tried to not react as it was quite obvious it was on my lip.
    Michael McIntyre lives quite close and used to see him going through the town in his Ferrari.
    John Parrot in a bog at a snooker event in the 90s
    Seen most of the top 20 snooker players over the past few years around the Crucible
    Nearly bumped in to the bloke who plays Nick Tilsley in Corrie but his name eludes me walking around Bath.
    Jason Durr off Heartbeat and more recently Casualty is a current customer and look after his Defender and put loads of goodies on it….lovely chap.

Prince Willy/Kate and 2 sproggs on bicycles on the lanes around west Norfolk,
    Kate in the local Waitrose with the eldest sprogg, apparently he had been taught that week at the nursery about shopping and so wanted to try it out.

Hammond and May at Heathrow
    Ayrton Senna when we was still in F3(000?)
    Most of the 'Allo 'Allo cast as they used to film around us and sometimes had lunch at the hotel just down from the sixth form.
    The King of Swaziland, no one is allowed to have their head higher than his when meeting him
    Multiple Nobel Prize winners, to the point I have forgotten most of their names!
    A home cooked dinner with only 6 of us there with a real NASA astronaut who flew on 3 shuttle missions and I am kicking myself for not remembering his name but boy was he nice and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Bob out of Blackadder on Regent Street
    I've bumped into a Street cat named Bob a few times.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Played table tennis with Patrick Moore (the astronomer)
    Bumped into Phil Cool at Manchester airport (he didn’t pull a funny face)
    David Beckham held the showroom door open for me at a TVR dealership in Northwhich.

Met loads of bike racers including Kenny Roberts, Randy Mamola, John McGuiness..

Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    Eddie Jordan having a beer outside the Toucan in Soho in the summer
    I've been thrown out of the Toucan bar for farting excessively.

Journeyman
    Not surprised, you can't swing a cat in there

#parp
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I've been thrown out of the Toucan bar for farting excessively.

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Recently, Frankie Boyle and Alan Cumming, both starkers, same place, different times (Arlington pool and gym in Glasgae). In the dim and distant, many 80s music acts while blagging access (sometimes succesfully) to the hospitality at Tyne Fees studios when The Tube was broadcast from there.

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Dirty Den out of Eastenders on the station platform at Richmond
    I used to bump into Bamber Gascoigne at Richmond station quite regularly.

Master
    Stephen Fry, wandering through the town square in King's Lynn.

I bumped into Cherie Blair once, but that was at Matrix Chambers where she is/was a partner.

Oh, and Mark Lamarr at a petrol station.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 27th November 2022 at 18:55.

Craftsman
    Charles Dance toilets Disneyland Florida .Charles Dance toilets Heathrow 6 days later .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Charles Dance toilets Disneyland Florida .Charles Dance toilets Heathrow 6 days later .
    By any chance - has he a restraining order against you, now?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

Around the same time I also met Ann Robinson there whilst I did some work in her office, I found she was just as unpleasant a character as Maxwell.
    I worked on her house, not a very nice person!

Master
    Too many to count , I work in the film industry .

Nicest : Stephen Fry , absolutely genuine person , full of warmth and interest in everybody around him , great fun to talk to and also listens and responds. Pretty much exactly the way you would anticipate.

Runners up : About 99% of the celebs I meet are totally fine and just like anyone else including the A-listers.

Worst : not naming names but the ones totally self obsessed and equally massively paranoid and lacking in self confidence tend to be awful and essentially difficult no matter what is happening ; simple or complex.
    Its like they inflate like pufferfish to occupy the available mental space of everyone. Oddly enough most of the ones the press paints as nasty are totally fine , its the ones in the middle tier that tend to be utter twunts.
    Not an actor but I met Travis Kalanick once on a film set he was just hanging out on , he wasn't particularly unpleasant but an utterly dull and boring person , you could see people struggling to converse with him and that was at a wrap party. Utterly wrapped up in himself and just spouted out stuff , impossible to have a dialogue with , Alexa gives you more of a response .

I'm very high in the Marriot Rewards scheme and quite often have checked into Marriots along with celebs working on the same films. I usually get the full monty upgrade from Marriot to a suite on check-in plus exec lounge access , welcome gift etc . Sometimes its low key other times they really roll out the red carpet when they clock my points total especially at some of the swankier ones. A few times this has caused consternation when the middle tier celebs and even the director and producer are not afforded the same treatment!
    Another good one is getting met at the domestic airport in Mumbai by a big white Marriot mercedes and seeing the look of consternation and confusion on some very big stars faces as they stand waiting to get picked up whilst I walk away saying goodbye and fighting my luggage away the driver who is kindly but unnecessarily trying to carry it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Paul martin spat in my face and i tried to not react as it was quite obvious it was on my lip.
    Come on, you need to tell the whole story.

I see Noel Gallagher on a weirdly regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I see Noel Gallagher on a weirdly regular basis
    Oooof, unlucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Nicest : Stephen Fry , absolutely genuine person , full of warmth and interest in everybody around him , great fun to talk to and also listens and responds. Pretty much exactly the way you would anticipate.

Runners up : About 99% of the celebs I meet are totally fine and just like anyone else including the A-listers.

Worst : not naming names but the ones totally self obsessed and equally massively paranoid and lacking in self confidence tend to be awful and essentially difficult no matter what is happening ; simple or complex.
    Its like they inflate like pufferfish to occupy the available mental space of everyone. Oddly enough most of the ones the press paints as nasty are totally fine , its the ones in the middle tier that tend to be utter twunts.
    Not an actor but I met Travis Kalanick once on a film set he was just hanging out on , he wasn't particularly unpleasant but an utterly dull and boring person , you could see people struggling to converse with him and that was at a wrap party. Utterly wrapped up in himself and just spouted out stuff , impossible to have a dialogue with , Alexa gives you more of a response .

I'm very high in the Marriot Rewards scheme and quite often have checked into Marriots along with celebs working on the same films. I usually get the full monty upgrade from Marriot to a suite on check-in plus exec lounge access , welcome gift etc . Sometimes its low key other times they really roll out the red carpet when they clock my points total especially at some of the swankier ones. A few times this has caused consternation when the middle tier celebs and even the director and producer are not afforded the same treatment!
    Another good one is getting met at the domestic airport in Mumbai by a big white Marriot mercedes and seeing the look of consternation and confusion on some very big stars faces as they stand waiting to get picked up whilst I walk away saying goodbye and fighting my luggage away the driver who is kindly but unnecessarily trying to carry it for me.
    So other than how fantastic, cool and important you are, please tell us what celebs have you seen in the wild? :-)

Sorry to be a twunt but it just reads a humble brag!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th November 2022 at 17:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    So other than how fantastic, cool and important you are, please tell us what celebs have you seen in the wild? :-)

Sorry to be a twunt but it just reads a humble brag!
    You're not sorry at all though are you? It just so happens I work in an industry where there are a lot of "famous" people .
    Not sure what bothers you so much , the fact I work with "famous" people or the fact most of them are perfectly normal.
    Be a twunt as much as you like , you do you baby !

Best I can do is a Brookside actor (female).

George Hamilton in a lift at the Grove Shopping Centre in Los Angeles.

He really was made of mahogany!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Were you 50 yards or more away from him at the toilets in Heathrow?

I'm very high in the Marriot Rewards scheme and quite often have checked into Marriots along with celebs working on the same films. I usually get the full monty upgrade from Marriot to a suite on check-in plus exec lounge access , welcome gift etc .
    I like Stephen Fry, very funny and very clever.

I am jealous of your reward scheme status. I get a free drink at Holiday Inn!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I like Stephen Fry, very funny and very clever.

I am jealous of your reward scheme status. I get a free drink at Holiday Inn!
    The getting wasn't easy . I have something like 8 years of pretty much consecutive Marriot room nights. They usually do a double take at reception when they look it up.
    Its a good scheme , even getting exec lounge access on the first tier after a few stays is pretty good. Also applies to lots of different properties in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post
    Recently, Frankie Boyle and Alan Cumming, both starkers, same place, different times (Arlington pool and gym in Glasgae). In the dim and distant, many 80s music acts while blagging access (sometimes succesfully) to the hospitality at Tyne Fees studios when The Tube was broadcast from there.
    Never expected to hear the 'Arlington' crop up on TZ. I miss it

Granted, I was a Rings and Trapeze hooligan, so the fellow members most likely don't miss me

I had a long discussion with Peter Shilton and David Nish at a village football match we were watching about the differences between Football and Rugby, (Union), and why the latter was tougher. They gave as good as they got, have to admit.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Struggling but just remembered seeing Gordon Honeycombe (ITN newsreader) on holiday on the Costa Brava in the 1970s. Beat that!
    Last edited by David_D; 1st December 2022 at 18:53.

Darth Vader in Hamleys in the early 80s.
    Claire Rayner gave a talk at the school.
    I'm sure I saw Joanne Malin, ITV Midlands and Sky News, in Sainsbury's once.

Saw Hugh Grant outside of the Ritz last Thursday.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Mainly at work in TV / broadcast, production during 1990s - 2015
    Queen mum,
    Prince Philip,
    Prince Charles,
    Diana,
    Fergie,
    Margaret Thatcher,
    Robbie Williams,
    John Taylor,
    David Gilmore,
    Leo Sayer,
    Brian May,
    Paul weller,
    Charles Dance,
    Greta Satchi,
    Iron Maiden,
    Dirty Den,
    Judith Chalmers,
    The Bill Cast,
    Family affairs cast,
    Peter Gabriel,
    Johnathan King
    Peter O’tool
    Bob Geldof,

Maybe a few more but a fun period in life. Please accept my apologies for the spelling but you get who they are:)
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 1st December 2022 at 20:03.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Met him through work before, nothing to do with his job, he was an absolute c word. You'd be hard pressed to find a more rude and obnoxious person. Total clown.

You're not sorry at all though are you? It just so happens I work in an industry where there are a lot of "famous" people .
    Not sure what bothers you so much , the fact I work with "famous" people or the fact most of them are perfectly normal.
    Be a twunt as much as you like , you do you baby !

I thought that the idea of 'randomly seen' meant chance encounters rather than people you've worked with. I've met loads of politicians, royals and VIPS in a professional capacity, the most enjoyable by several hundred miles was Andy Green the land speed record holder.

Famous People You Have Spotted In The Wild

Had a p1ss next to Jan Molby in Bunters nightclub in Liverpool in the mid 80s.

Edit - that is 5,000 posts up. What the fcuk have I done with my life.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 1st December 2022 at 22:35.

Played golf recently with Kevin Whatley of Auf Wierdersehen / Lewis fame.

That’s me and him in the middle.

Lovely fella. Average golf game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coco the clown visited our primary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Coco the clown visited our primary school.