Dirty Den,
    Judith Chalmers,
    The Bill Cast,
    Family affairs cast,
    Peter Gabriel,
    Johnathan King
    Peter O’tool
    Bob Geldof,

Maybe a few more but a fun period in life. Please accept my apologies for the spelling but you get who they are:)

No Pope then ?

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    No Pope then ?

B
    Well Geldof is a Rats singer
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Oooooo I tip my hat to you. That is so bad it’s good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    No Pope then ?

B
    Na, no Queen either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Na, no Queen either.
    There’s a quarter of Queen

Master
    Groan.

But bravo at the same time.

Apparently I once met one of Liza Minnellis ex husbands who did the jungle program. Introduced himself as David and talked about the Jackson’s visiting him. Looked a bit like toad of toad hall. I don’t think he’s still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Apparently I once met one of Liza Minnellis ex husbands who did the jungle program. Introduced himself as David and talked about the Jackson’s visiting him. Looked a bit like toad of toad hall. I don’t think he’s still with us.
    He used to come up to York a lot an enjoyed being the only celebrity in town, he seemed to like the attention and spend a lot of time in busy bars. Apparently he bought a house here shortly before he passed away.

Craftsman

T

Peter O’Toole and his kids in matching Burberry raincoats Hampstead looking just like an advertisement for Burberry raincoats

An almost invisible Alec Guinness looking into the bookshops along the Charing Cross road in a heavy rainstorm & looking uncannily like George Smiley

Kate Winslet in pyjamas, dressing gown and pink slippers shopping at Waitrose Holloway Road and the back room staff taking turns to come out & stare at her.

A somewhat bedraggled Peter Cook in a Hampstead off-licence both arms weighed down with a heavy order of vodka bottles in carrier bags

Enoch Powell in chalk stripe suit sat directly in front of me on the district line at Aldgate East

Princess Diana me and her security detail standing silently in a corridor in a London hospital for a very long time

Following Prince William around London and seeing the world from the POV of the famous - crowds of camera phones pointed at you, not seeing anyone’s face, just their phones raised, cameras clicking

Colin Firth at a pub

Prince Charles on Lindisfarne island. My daughter yelling at him not to “step on the frog!”
    His security detail looking down to where she was pointing and quietly saying to HRH “mind the toad Sir “

Donald Sutherland in the back of a Citroen at Cannes

Dirk Bogarde smoking a cigarette at Covent Garden

Julie Christie having lunch

Nelson Mandala walking through big crowds at Trafalgar Square (to make a speech from the balcony of the SA embassy) and shaking hands with it seemed like everyone and everyone smiling. Now that was a really special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Peter O’Toole and his kids in matching Burberry raincoats Hampstead looking just like an advertisement for Burberry raincoats

An almost invisible Alec Guinness looking into the bookshops along the Charing Cross road in a heavy rainstorm & looking uncannily like George Smiley

Kate Winslet in pyjamas, dressing gown and pink slippers shopping at Waitrose Holloway Road and the back room staff taking turns to come out & stare at her.

A somewhat bedraggled Peter Cook in a Hampstead off-licence both arms weighed down with a heavy order of vodka bottles in carrier bags

Enoch Powell in chalk stripe suit sat directly in front of me on the district line at Aldgate East

Princess Diana me and her security detail standing silently in a corridor in a London hospital for a very long time

Following Prince William around London and seeing the world from the POV of the famous - crowds of camera phones pointed at you, not seeing anyone’s face, just their phones raised, cameras clicking

Colin Firth at a pub

Prince Charles on Lindisfarne island. My daughter yelling at him not to “step on the frog!”
    His security detail looking down to where she was pointing and quietly saying to HRH “mind the toad Sir “

Donald Sutherland in the back of a Citroen at Cannes

Dirk Bogarde smoking a cigarette at Covent Garden

Julie Christie having lunch

Nelson Mandala walking through big crowds at Trafalgar Square (to make a speech from the balcony of the SA embassy) and shaking hands with it seemed like everyone and everyone smiling. Now that was a really special occasion.
    How do you remember all that, have a notebook?

Craftsman
    Nah just saw the thread and remembered them
    But there are others that I forgot for sure

Master
    About the only famous person I have ever seen was Rula Lenska.. I was eating Lebanese food in a London cafe whilst down there for a conference about 15 years ago and she was stopped by someone outside who recognised her.. fairly sure it was after her then recent stint on Celebrity Big Brother with George Galloway..

Aquaman
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    About the only famous person I have ever seen was Rula Lenska..
    For some strange reason this reminds me that I bumped into Cleo Rocos, of all places, at my club* about 4 years ago. Hasn't changed that much physically though she's become very grand in her dotage.

*Not the Bullingdon
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Sir Tom Jones in the American Bar at the Savoy Hotel. I heard him before I saw him as I was walking towards the reception area, unmistakeable voice.

When I went back they’d sat him and his guest at a table right beside the chap playing the piano, no pressure there then!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

*Not the Bullingdon

Blue Oyster ?

Clint Eastwood at a gun club in Pasadena.

Rod Steward sitting on the Madgwick banking at Goodwood revival - what was funny was that his minder called him Rodney.

Sean Connery - Coombe Hill Golf Course. Very good golfer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    An ex gf waited outside the mayors office Carmel California in the hope of seeing Clint Eastwood when he was the Mayor, he came out and she had her photo taken with him.

I saw Richard Madeley in Tiffany and Co London buying lots of stuff, he’s very tall.

I would have preferred to meet Clint though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I helped Geoff Capes lift a pool table into a bar in a castle once on a caravan site in Scotland (his mate owned the site) I don’t think I helped much I was only about 13 at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    David Gest

Famous People You Have Spotted In The Wild

A very good shooting pal is married to Christina Trevanion.

was neighbour of Ran’ Fiennes for a few years.
    Would talk over the gate as he jogged on the spot during his daily run.

was drinking with Anthony Cotton in Wellington Bks mess after this years Trooping the Colour.

Went to school with Garrison Sergeant Major Vern Stokes who orchestrated the queen’s funeral.

Pinched Paula Yates’ arse on live TV at a concert in the 80’s

Got thoroughly drunk in a Clontarf bar with Paddy Crerrand & Wilf McGuiness the weekend Diana was killed.

Been clay pigeon shooting with Eric Cantona.

My ex wife and I had a personal blessing from the Pope (from vehicle) after a Swiss guard for some unknown reason ushered us through three sets of barriers onto the corner of St Peter’s Sq.
    I’m left foot and was quite moved.
    Ex is atheist and was sobbing !!

Spent an hour in the hot tub of a Loch Lomund hotel with Rusty Lee… she was very witty.

Robbie Brightwell was a schoolmate of my Dads.
    Robbie and Anne Packer were at my mum and dad’s wedding.
    Same ex wife used to work for Robbie at Le Coq Sportif in Holmes Chappel.
    A friends daughter babysat for their son who plays for Man City

My uncle was a groom at the Queens stud.
    One afternoon, the stud manager was having tea on his lawn with an old lady.
    Old lady: Good afternoon Eric
    Uncle Eric: Good afternoon Mam.
    Old lady: Hello young man.
    8 year old me: Hello

Me to Eric: who’s that?
    Eric: That’s the Queens mum.

*Miss Raworth is not 6’-3”
    We’re on different steps.

GSM Stokes is.
    Last edited by John Wall; 6th December 2022 at 18:55.

Craftsman
    Angela Rayner doing her shopping in sainsburys Victoria a few days ago. She carried it all out of the shop.

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Many years ago I shared a railway carriage compartment with Ray Gunter en route from Norwich to Gt Yarmouth - he spoke a lot of sense.

He was a 'good old boy'.

https://www.macearchive.org/films/at...nter-interview
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I met a member of Thunderthighs at a party a few years ago. The fact that I can remember who Thunderthighs were tells you I'm a bit past my sell by.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    I met a member of Thunderthighs at a party a few years ago. The fact that I can remember who Thunderthighs were tells you I'm a bit past my sell by.
    Female AC/DC tribute band?

Journeyman
    Used to see Chris Barrie quite a lot many years ago... the leisure centre in the Brittas Empire was just over the road from my house.

Walked into Li Na at Wimbledon when she was heading to court to play.

Seen one of the blokes from Take That a few times... my wife has pointed him out but no idea what he's called.

Recently, I was out for dinner in a restaurant that I couldn't really afford in London and realised that the chap on the table next to us was Hugh Grant...

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sorry that was the best I could do and was feeling a bit left out.

Master
    [QUOTE=Christian;6108892]Was once behind David Beckham and David Walliams in the priority immigration queue at LAX - they'd randomly been on the same flight together. My work colleague decided to strike up idle conversation. David Beckham came across very well - happy to chat. Walliams wanted nothing to do with us, you could tell the look of utter disgust on his face that someone was talking to him![/QUOTE

Beckham is a very amenable bloke if you approach him politely and given that he is a gazillionaire and probably the best known sportsman in the world I am pleasantly surprised at how freely he gives his time.

Blog Entries
    Joe Skipper in the village a few weekends ago, just after Kona.

Pitch

[QUOTE=Barryboy;6117777]
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Was once behind David Beckham and David Walliams in the priority immigration queue at LAX - they'd randomly been on the same flight together. My work colleague decided to strike up idle conversation. David Beckham came across very well - happy to chat. Walliams wanted nothing to do with us, you could tell the look of utter disgust on his face that someone was talking to him![/QUOTE

Beckham is a very amenable bloke if you approach him politely and given that he is a gazillionaire and probably the best known sportsman in the world I am pleasantly surprised at how freely he gives his time.
    Beckham: “Money over morals” and thoroughly disappointed in him.

and Roger Taylor.

Queued next to him while waiting to board coming back from the Maldives, genuine and amiable guy with an absolute aura about him that somehow oozed ‘Rock Star’.
    Last edited by spuds; 7th December 2022 at 21:55.

Trevor Brooking, Billy Bonds and Frank Lampard Snr at Key Markets supermarket on canvey island early 80s. Come On You Irons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    Trevor Brooking, Billy Bonds and Frank Lampard Snr at Key Markets supermarket on canvey island early 80s. Come On You Irons!

“On Canvey Island,….”

You’re a braver man than me mate!!! COYI indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Beckham is a very amenable bloke…
    Many moons ago, an old mate was on crew at Wilmslow when Becks was at United.
    They had a call one morning for a woman stuck in a lift.
    Nobody recognised the address as a high rise and as they pulled up to the gates David was running down the drive.
    Victoria was stuck in the lift between the 2nd and 3rd floor and having a severe panic attack.
    Mike was the smallest on crew so went up, prised the doors open and lay down to reassure her.
    She was proper flapping and hyperventilating and was jumping to get to the 12” gap.
    Mike leaned in and on the third jump caught hold of her front and back of her joggers…

…and lifted her up and out by the G-string !

One to tell the grand children. (Mike, not Victoria)

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Many moons ago, an old mate was on crew at Wilmslow when Becks was at United.
    They had a call one morning for a woman stuck in a lift.
    Nobody recognised the address as a high rise and as they pulled up to the gates David was running down the drive.
    Victoria was stuck in the lift between the 2nd and 3rd floor and having a severe panic attack.
    Mike was the smallest on crew so went up, prised the doors open and lay down to reassure her.
    She was proper flapping and hyperventilating and was jumping to get to the 12” gap.
    Mike leaned in and on the third jump caught hold of her front and back of her joggers…

…and lifted her up and out by the G-string !

One to tell the grand children. (Mike, not Victoria)
    And straight away, the rest of the station nicknamed him: ‘Schindler’.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post

Recently, I was out for dinner in a restaurant that I couldn't really afford in London and realised that the chap on the table next to us was Hugh Grant...
    I have been to the Ivy once in my life. Catherin Zeta-Jones and Meg Ryan were, apparently, sitting at tables nearby. My dining companions had to explain to me who those people are and point them out to me. The other thing I remember was having to explain to the barman how to prepare a pink gin.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Coco the clown visited our primary school.
    Nobby Stiles came to ours. A pleasant, quiet, man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Famous People You Have Spotted In The Wild

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Darth Vader in Hamleys in the early 80s.
    Claire Rayner gave a talk at the school.
    I'm sure I saw Joanne Malin, ITV Midlands and Sky News, in Sainsbury's once.
    January 1981? Perhaps Mr Vader was doing the sales. I sold him a domestic appliance in Harrods, could have been a fridge, washing machine or dishwasher, cannot remember. Also Alan Bates.

On flights back from Brussels, Rev. Ian Paisley several times. Neil Kinnock dans la magasin de journaux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 8th December 2022 at 15:42.

What is Darth Vader going to do with the Alan Bates he bought?

What is Darth Vader going to do with the Alan Bates he bought?
    Bought him to do the ironing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I have been to the Ivy once in my life. Catherin Zeta-Jones and Meg Ryan were, apparently, sitting at tables nearby. My dining companions had to explain to me who those people are and point them out to me. The other thing I remember was having to explain to the barman how to prepare a pink gin.
    should have dined at your own club Alan.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    I was trying out a guitar I couldn't afford in a shop called 'vintage and rare guitars' in Denmark Street. Decided to call it a day and was just leaving the shop when Noel Gallagher walked in with a couple of guys (maybe they were his security?).

Master
    Saw Grace Jones this morning at Heathrow Airport.
    As part of her winter wardrobe, Grace was wearing a pair of Goggles on her head, a la safety type with wide white elastic band.

I did a double take on the Goggles first then had to rack my brains who the enchanted owner was.
    Scary !!!!
    Last edited by Claret67; 12th December 2022 at 17:28. Reason: Missed out a word

Master
    Once saw a young Liam Gallagher get knocked out in a Stockport pub. That was a good night.

Mark Lawrenson in a Sports Bar near Piccadily Circus. He was miserable AF.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

https://youtu.be/E8ejJfJAAG0

Master
    Mrs was pulling out of a parking space in Asda Birkenhead. Mercedes estate was waiting to take the space, driven by Paul McCartney!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Mrs was pulling out of a parking space in Asda Birkenhead. Mercedes estate was waiting to take the space, driven by Paul McCartney!
    Perfect car for a long and winding road.

I shared a flat once with Jim Platt, goalkeeper for Middlesbrough. Often had some of the Boro team there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Perfect car for a long and winding road.
    I see what you did there :)

Master
    Just had the misfortune to share a flight with the not-much-lamented Sir Malcolm Rifkind. Poor love has - like the rest of us flying back from Prague - had a bit of a torturous journey.

But there’s no need to act like a child. He’s stomping around the baggage reclaim at T5 muttering about shambles, incompetence, it’s a disgrace. Complete arse.