closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 38mm Hamilton ‘Murph’

This thread got me to watch Interstellar again. Good movie!

Two thumbs up so far.

Looks good! How is timekeeping please?

Craftsman
    Looks great on that strap. Congratulations! Any more pics please? Wrist shot? Cheers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Looks great on that strap. Congratulations! Any more pics please? Wrist shot? Cheers .

Agree that's a great pairing....might try something similar on my 42 murph.

The watch is running at -1 second after 28 hours. I'd rather it be a bit fast rather than slow but I really don't have cause to complain. It sat overnight crown up. I'll rest it dial up tonight and see if that changes anything. This is my first Hamilton without a 2801 and so far the results are positive.

The watch wears great on my 7.25" wrist. It is slightly thicker than my 38mm Khaki Field Mechanical (which is a mm or two too thin IMO) so has pretty much perfect proportions for me. The crown is substantial, the watch is very legible and I really like printed dial and the retro vibe it projects. I'm guessing it will be a strap monster.

There are a few cons. The sapphire is prone to glare, much like every Hamilton I've owned. The bezel is shinier than I anticipated and stock strap is stiff and rather short. The fauxtina is a tad darker than I prefer and the lume is a bit anemic. None of these are deal breakers for me.

Despite the few shortcomings I love the watch and anticipate wearing it often.

Apprentice
    If anyone is after one of these there is 20% off them at C.W.Sellors today. code is BF20.

Very tempted myself but trying to resist!

Quote Originally Posted by TTSFR View Post
    If anyone is after one of these there is 20% off them at C.W.Sellors today. code is BF20.

Looks like the discount is for the 42mm only.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Looks like the discount is for the 42mm only.

It works for the 38mm too.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Who or what is Murph?
    A character in a film which you'd probably appreciate more if........you took acid about an hour before watching.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TTSFR View Post

Thanks, definitely works for the new 38mm, just ordered.

Craftsman
    Very nice watch. Like the size. Does anyone know what the dial diameter is at all? The website and reviews don't mention it. A previous poster did say that it was all dial and so should wear larger. I'm hoping this isn't the case as prefer it to wear true to its size.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Very nice watch. Like the size. Does anyone know what the dial diameter is at all? The website and reviews don't mention it. A previous poster did say that it was all dial and so should wear larger. I'm hoping this isn't the case as prefer it to wear true to its size.
    I've just measured the dial at 30mm. I would say the watch wears ever so slightly large, maybe more like a 39mm. I think this is because of the large font size of the printed numerals on the dial, and the fact that the dial diameter is large in relation to the shortish lug length. So yes, it is more of an 'all dial' watch, but not unbalanced, and it wears beautifully on the wrist. A non-wrist picture from yesterday:

Hamilton need to read this thread. The alternative straps work wonders. Always thought the supplied ones were god awful.

If not already linked, please do say where the straps are from.

Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Solbor View Post
    I've just measured the dial at 30mm. I would say the watch wears ever so slightly large, maybe more like a 39mm. I think this is because of the large font size of the printed numerals on the dial, and the fact that the dial diameter is large in relation to the shortish lug length. So yes, it is more of an 'all dial' watch, but not unbalanced, and it wears beautifully on the wrist.
    Solbor many thanks for measuring the diameter for me. The weekend to think about it now.
    Last edited by 2012; 3rd December 2022 at 11:12. Reason: spelling

Craftsman
    Bugger it, pressed the buy button.

Spoke to one of the salespeople over the phone today. Very helpful.

The discount code is still available over this weekend. The watch in question was sold out and they have a fresh batch on route on which she said they are expecting any time next week. She said there has been an unusual scramble for them. More TZ'ers buying them?

Am I alone in wondering if the love affair will last given Hamilton Field Watches don´t seem to stick with their buyers if the frequency with which they show up on SC is anything to go by. The Murph isn´t dissimilar in dimensions and look to the Cincinnati Field Watch, now discontinued.

https://www.cincinnatiwatch.com/watc...us-field-watch

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Solbor many thanks for measuring the diameter for me. The weekend to think about it now.
    Here's another picture to whet your appetite:

Solbor, your photos are a step above the usual forum snapshots. What setup are you using to take these? Are you on Instagram?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Solbor, your photos are a step above the usual forum snapshots. What setup are you using to take these? Are you on Instagram?
    Thank you! I am on instagram, at https://www.instagram.com/phonusquaver1/?hl=en

My setup is decidedly amateur - just a big window as my main light source, a few props and a Panasonic GX-80 micro 4/3 camera.

Thank you! I am on instagram, at https://www.instagram.com/phonusquaver1/?hl=en

My setup is decidedly amateur - just a big window as my main light source, a few props and a Panasonic GX-80 micro 4/3 camera.
    More importantly, are you a Psychoanalyst?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    More importantly, are you a Psychoanalyst?
    I would tell you, but first we'd need to discuss your relationship with your mother....
    Last edited by Solbor; 8th December 2022 at 17:02.

It’s a great watch just wondering if I could be happy long term with it as is there enough about it keep me interested

New 38mm Hamilton ‘Murph’

Duplicate
    Last edited by OldHooky; 3rd December 2022 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    My thoughts precisely.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    It’s a great watch just wondering if I could be happy long term with it as is there enough about it keep me interested

I suppose only you could answer that. But if you have several watches for a change, I don't see why not.

This is tempting but it is very close in price to a Sinn 556, a watch with similar dimensions and specs.

Which do you think would be the better buy?

Craftsman
    This is tempting but it is very close in price to a Sinn 556, a watch with similar dimensions and specs.

I have a 42 Murph and a 556a...if I could only keep one it would be the Sinn.

I ordered a Murph 38mm with the 20% discount offer. That's a fair bit less than a Sinn 556 on strap that is around £1k now.

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    I ordered a Murph 38mm with the 20% discount offer. That's a fair bit less than a Sinn 556 on strap that is around £1k now.
    Good point! What do you think about the watch? How does it compare to a 556 (if you have ever tried one)?

Good point! What do you think about the watch? How does it compare to a 556 (if you have ever tried one)?
    Unfortunately still waiting on delivery. I’ve had several 556 I and A variants so looking forward to see how it compares. I would expect the Sinn to be slightly better finished so my expectations are realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Interesting, can I ask why you prefer the Sinn?

Craftsman
    Interesting, can I ask why you prefer the Sinn?
    Just feel the Sinn is a bit more tooly, and the Murph feels a bit more dressy, so I would tend to wear the Sinn more.

Both great watches, though, and I dont see either leaving the hoard anytime soon

I keep coming back to this thread, but can’t help feeling that, with an Explorer in the collection, I’d have two similar watches that vied with each other for wrist time.

@Solbor, nice images in your IG account. I really do like that Maen a lot.

Craftsman

Hi Solbar - where did you get the black strap. Looks good.

Apprentice
    [QUOTE=Boxsash;6117937]Hi Solbar - where did you get the black strap. Looks good.

It's the quick release black leather strap that came with my Super Antarctic from Nivada Grenchen. They do sell them separately from their website, but the ones they're showing now don't seem to have the white stitching. The brown ones do though and might work even better?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I keep coming back to this thread, but can’t help feeling that, with an Explorer in the collection, I’d have two similar watches that vied with each other for wrist time.

@Solbor, nice images in your IG account. I really do like that Maen a lot.
    Thanks 🙏

The Maen is great. I took a bit of a chance and pre-ordered it on the basis of the initial renders but I've been really enjoying it. Actually wore it to a wedding today - it works a dressy sports watch, being so slim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Interesting! I also keep coming back to this thread.

I've just found £1000 tucked away behind the sofa and I am considering a purchase. I prefer no date dials. I was initially eyeing an Everest PRS25, as and when they become available. The 38mm Murph at twice the price is calling to me but, with my new found riches (!) I have strayed towards the Sinn 556 range. Question is - is the 556 worth 4x the Everest? Mmmmm, dunno!

Craftsman
    I think the sinn 556 is a great looking and has great specs plus holds its value. The Everest is a lower spec watch and about half the price of a second hand 556 and don’t loose too much in value. The course is yours. I don’t think you can go wrong trying any. I’m hoping the 38mm Murf will be drop in price in the year ahead. I might try one then. Let us know what you decide to try.

Well it’s here. I really like it! I did manage to get 20% off which I thought was a decent deal for a new release. Only thing I don’t like is the strap so I’ve whacked it in an old sailcloth strap I have.

The dimensions are pretty much spot on and the oversized crown is great. The buckle is quality too.

If you can, do tell where you got 20% off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    If you can, do tell where you got 20% off.

Thanks
    It was posted on this thread a while ago, it’s there if you scroll up a bit. It was a Black Friday discount code that could be used on it with CW SELLORS. Might be worth calling them to see if they’ll still honour that price. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Many thanks. Would make a good Christmas present.

Apprentice
    For those not loving the Hamilton strap, the Murph 38 works pretty well on a Bonklip bracelet:

That looks really good.

It is pretty versatile, I've yet to find a strap that it doesn't like.

Apprentice
    Quite interested in the smaller Murph. I know that 11.1 millimeters isn't objectively thick, but how does it wear? Does it feel like the right thickness? Also, how's the strap feel after having worn it for a while? Did it break in well?