closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 38mm Hamilton ‘Murph’

New 38mm Hamilton ‘Murph’

Always hoped that Hamilton would release the Murph in a smaller size. Always felt 42mm was too large. This could be a popular one:

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/murph-38
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 22nd November 2022 at 15:42.

It’s a good move but I’d I’d rather have an alpinist.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    It’s a good move but I’d rather have an alpinist.

Great move by Hamilton. Spookily I was looking at the 42mm version in Ernest Jones last week and thought it was beautiful but too big!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Always hoped that Hamilton would release the Murph is a smaller size. Always felt 42mm was too large for this one. This could be a popular one:

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/murph-38

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Really?
    Yup. There’s something a bit uninspiring about the murph. I loved interstellar but don’t rate the watch.

And if we’re really getting into it, I’d rather have a khaki field mechanical over an alpinist.

All a matter of personal taste, of course.

Definitely a good move, I do wish Hamilton would make the crowns on their field watches screw down, and I think a bracelet version of this would be good.

I think the baby Alpinist is the natural rival, and when you think you can pick one of them up for about £450 in various sales or eBay this is probably a touch on the expensive side for me, for what it is. Having said that, a very nice watch and the 38 is loads better.

Great size as it’s a lot of dial which always wears larger

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Great move by Hamilton. Spookily I was looking at the 42mm version in Ernest Jones last week and thought it was beautiful but too big!
    I really like it as well. I was soooo tempted to buy your Hamilton Khaki Field recently but I didn't like the date complication so stayed strong and didn't hit the 'buy it now' button!! - This new 38mm would do me nicely as the 42mm is too big for my tastes.

Craftsman
    I find it very likable indeed. Lovely dial, case and general aesthetic. 38mm seems the right size for this watch for sure.

A terrific move by Hamilton. A three-hander should never be more than 40mm. I bet they will sell more of these than the original run.

I like "uninspiring". That's the whole point of these watches. And you cannot compare a Hami with an Alpinist. You either want a Seiko or you don't.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

That looks awesome, definitely something I could see myself buying.

(As an aside, anyone else despairing of the copy in that ad?

Emblematic?
    Versatile and version in the same sentence?
    And 38mm described not as “smaller” but as “small”?)

Good move and had it been released before all the new Alpinists, I'd probably couldn't resist, but now it's only in the 'all right' category for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Definitely a good move, I do wish Hamilton would make the crowns on their field watches screw down, and I think a bracelet version of this would be good.
    I think that style of watch suits a nice black or brown leather one but I wonder if a bracelet from the khaki field mechanical would fit? Or an aftermarket one? Could be good.

Lovely watch. Baffling why Hamilton took so long to release a 38mm version. I groaned in disbelief when the 42mm version came out.
    Last edited by Geralt; 22nd November 2022 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I think that style of watch suits a nice black or brown leather one but I wonder if a bracelet from the khaki field mechanical would fit? Or an aftermarket one? Could be good.
    I wondered the same thing about the bracelet.

I reckon that looks good, excellent news that they've released a version in this size if you ask me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Does look great I have to admit. Although I think my watch buying days are done.

Craftsman
    Like it a lot. 38 is a good size for me. A little more expensive than the Serica 4512 but probably worth it in my view.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Who or what is Murph?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Who or what is Murph?
    https://interstellarfilm.fandom.com/wiki/Murphy_Cooper

It’s a lovely watch at that size. It’s very strong competition for something like a Sinn 556 / 104, and it’s only weakness for me is the vintage lume.

I’m not in the market for that kind of watch, but it is attractive and desirable; a strong release.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Seems to be a slow return to smaller sizes from a lot of brands at moment

Master
    I think it looks great. It also has a short lug to lug so will be very wearable.

Agree with most of you on the size but sad they didn’t include the morse Eureka on the second hand like on the 42. Lovely touch and dispensing with it just makes this another Khaki, for me, rather than a Murph.

The video is funny:

https://youtu.be/EmFYUjqELt0

Kudos to Hamilton for having a sense of humor, and for listening to their customers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Agree with most of you on the size but sad they didn’t include the morse Eureka on the second hand like on the 42. Lovely touch and dispensing with it just makes this another Khaki, for me, rather than a Murph.

It'ss fair point. The counter argument I heard is that the prop watch in the film does not have the Eureka printing.

New 38mm Hamilton ‘Murph’

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    It'ss fair point. The counter argument I heard is that the prop watch in the film does not have the Eureka printing.
    Yeah, that’s true. The prop watch didn’t have it - but then the prop watch’’s dancing second hand was operated by wires! There’s a fascinating interview with the film’s prop master in the Hodinkee archive.

Can’t see a lot wrong with that.

That looks rather nice.
    I would expect the case to be the same one as the regular khaki auto 38mm, and the bracelet to fit as a result on the 38 Murph.

That being said, for the price, that would be nice to have AR coating on the crystal, so I can read the time on it, not just see a reflection of the sky. Recurrent issue for me with Hamilton.

I like that and agree with the comment that three handed field watches shouldn’t be oversized. I like a Hamilton Khaki, particularly the older ones sized akin to the RAF 6B or US 60/70s military watches.

I guess the current watch has some heritage in that made for the USN in WW2. The Hamilton branding is subdued, etched into the dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    That looks rather nice.
    I would expect the case to be the same one as the regular khaki auto 38mm, and the bracelet to fit as a result on the 38 Murph.

That being said, for the price, that would be nice to have AR coating on the crystal, so I can read the time on it, not just see a reflection of the sky. Recurrent issue for me with Hamilton.
    The specs on Hamilton’s website say that it has AR coating. A great upgrade to the regular Khaki’s and indeed the 42mm Murph which didn’t have the coating.

The Murph 38 appears to have a shorter lug-to-lug measurement than the Khaki 38s. It does not sound like they are the same cases.

I stand corrected then, all for the better!
    Very tempting offering, if one come up for sale discounted that might be one of the next ones

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    The specs on Hamilton’s website say that it has AR coating. A great upgrade to the regular Khaki’s and indeed the 42mm Murph which didn’t have the coating.
    That's great about the ar coating.. I had the 42mm and it was to big with too much glare

That looks perfect to me. Really like the lume colour too.

I like it a lot. Not convinced I'll like the 18mm lug width though. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I like it a lot. Not convinced I'll like the 18mm lug width though. :/
    It's 20mm according to everything I've seen.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

For my wrist it is better the 42, but the fact that is available in 38 it is very nice. Next will be in 40m,

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Yeah, 20mm lugs. Buckle is 18mm with the strap taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    It’s a good move but I’d I’d rather have an alpinist.
    I would take this any day over the Alpinist. Not saying much as I would probably take most watches over an Alpinist.
    But this IS rather nice.

Craftsman
    Wow. I really like the new size. They should have done it from the get go but I’m glad it’s here now. I’ll have to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Right you are, I was probably looking at the buckle size.

I guess I'll have to get one. :)

I originally wasn't keen on the Murph...though it seemed like a parts-bin project. Definitely grown on me and a massive improvement at 38mm.

The special edition box to the 42mm Murph was a work of art too.

Murph aside, I really want to like the Hamilton Khaki, but when I had one it felt a bit sterile/soulless, bit like wearing a Swatch for some reason.
    Last edited by Christian; 24th November 2022 at 22:15.

Craftsman
    I mailed Hamilton and they tell me that this bracelet (if that's your preference) will fit the new 38mm Murph - H695.694.102 (about £100 ish) No idea if it's a nice bracelet but I think it fits other in the Khaki range so I guess someone on here will know about the quality?

As shown here -

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/hamilton/...11992.htm#gref
    Last edited by Eddiex; 25th November 2022 at 12:49.

Had it been robocop I'd have bought one

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yeah also, nice watch! I wish the baby alpinist had lumed numbers like that!
    I hope.this sets the trend for reduced sizes... waiting for the longines spirit to go 38/36...
    and the new ranger to hit 36

By the way, it it justme or have watch prices soared?

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Yeah also, nice watch! I wish the baby alpinist had lumed numbers like that!
    I hope.this sets the trend for reduced sizes... waiting for the longines spirit to go 38/36...
    and the new ranger to hit 36

By the way, it it justme or have watch prices soared?

The spirit already comes in 37. Three colour options

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post

By the way, it it just me or have watch prices soared?
    It is a strange game where if you are not appearing to be confident... you lose. Start buying again this time next year (if you have any money left that is).
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman
    Looking forward to trying one on.

They've confirmed that a) the 42mm Eureka hand won't fit if anyone was thinking of trying to retrofit it and b) there are no plans to put one on the 38mm as the 42mm was the original watch in the film.

Understandable, but a potential massive marketing screw up. I'm certain they'd sell by the bucket load if they changed their position on that. After all, size didn't change the appeal or success of the Speedie.

I am actually glad the Eureka hand is not on the Murph 38, it seems an unnecessary decoration to me. I don't think it will affect the sales of the watch for the general public. I bought the watch because I like the watch, not because of the movie tie in. I had never even heard of the movie Interstellar until the 42mm watch came out. Admittedly, I don't follow Hollywood happenings at all.

I do think the smaller size will appeal to more people. The 42mm Murph has really long lugs that are just too big for many wrists. As a comparison if in stock merchandise is any indicator the 39mm BB58 seems to sell quite a bit better than the 41mm BB. A small sample but the 58 is always out of stock at my AD while the 41mm models sit in the case.