closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Remove phone from bedroom but on call

Craftsman

Remove phone from bedroom but on call

There’s a tonne of research saying that you shouldn’t take your phone into the bedroom due to blue light, and mindless doom scrolling first thing.

I am on call 24x7 and need to respond to calls, pages and texts.

I don’t want my phone in my bedroom but I need it for those things.

Any solutions folks can think of? I was thinking of a programmable beeper but really am struggling to solve this hence asking you all. Anyone in a similar situation?

Apple Watch or similar? I don’t have one myself but understand it would do what you’re looking for.

Grand Master
    Get a different job so once youve finished life is yours to do as you want.

On an iPhone, do not disturb can be customised to notify of certain numbers, texts etc for a set time period.

Mine is on 9pm to 9am, with the only calls being family and only notifications are the house alarm.

It's called Focus.

How is blue light a problem, just don't play with it.

Realistically the only option will be to have the phone in with you but with a form of Do Not Disturb on, that allows through your white listed numbers from your work, meaning so it will still notify you when you are contacted by them but otherwise nothing will get through.

Surely the blue light is only a problem if you’re looking at it?

Or is it the 5G signals rewiring your brain that troubles you?

Master
    I’ve gone from having mine on the bedside cabinet to it living on top of a chest of drawers the other side of the room, meaning I need to get up to check it.
    It annoys the wife when I get a call out in the small hours but I do seem to sleep better without the temptation to look if I wake I’m the night etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely just don't look at the flooping thing unless you get called or txt.....put it on night light after 21.00 and turn the brightness down. Also don't doom scroll in the morning.....

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    On an iPhone, do not disturb can be customised to notify of certain numbers, texts etc for a set time period.

Mine is on 9pm to 9am, with the only calls being family and only notifications are the house alarm.

It's called Focus.
    Same on Android but only later phones.

Craftsman
    As others have said if you’ve got an iPhone set it so you don’t have access to any apps to doom scroll. I’m on call every two weeks and only take the phone in the bedroom then. I make it a point not to look at phone however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the phone into the bedroom, but just place it face down out of reach.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Exactly! (And on silent)

You should definitely have your phone in your room, from a security perspective, but use Focus on iPhone to limit incoming to only what you allow (my mother, father, & son, all who I know i would want to take emergency calls from, but won’t be pinging me at 0200hrs with shit jokes like my other contacts) and just block everyone else until you’re up.

No dramas.

If you can’t trust yourself not to pick it up and start Googling shite at first light, then just have a bloody world with yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Side note but I recently banned myself from using my phone in bed at night and it's made a huge difference to my quality of sleep and the time it takes to get to sleep.

I sit on the edge of the bed to finish scrolling / texting and don't touch it until the morning. Next step is to not use it in bed in the morning.

The do not disturb setting helps a lot. Mine is pre programmed for specific times and unless someone double dials me I won't be alerted (can be changed for specific people)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Realistically the only option will be to have the phone in with you but with a form of Do Not Disturb on, that allows through your white listed numbers from your work, meaning so it will still notify you when you are contacted by them but otherwise nothing will get through.
    OP: That seems the best answer. I know that’s possible on iPhone not sure about android.

Or, perhaps you could request a work phone with its own number so they contact you on that. You can leave your personal phone switched off overnight.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP: That seems the best answer. I know that’s possible on iPhone not sure about android.

Or, perhaps you could request a work phone with its own number so they contact you on that. You can leave your personal phone switched off overnight.
    It is indeed an option in more recent versions of Android. There's additional features like permitting calls through if the same number calls you X number of times in Y minutes etc. for emergencies.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Surely the blue light is only a problem if you’re looking at it?

Or is it the 5G signals rewiring your brain that troubles you?
    I think it’s both!

I am tempted to check nothing is blowing up … and ideally I just want to get away from it but have an old fashioned beeper..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Exactly! (And on silent)

You should definitely have your phone in your room, from a security perspective, but use Focus on iPhone to limit incoming to only what you allow (my mother, father, & son, all who I know i would want to take emergency calls from, but won’t be pinging me at 0200hrs with shit jokes like my other contacts) and just block everyone else until you’re up.

No dramas.

If you can’t trust yourself not to pick it up and start Googling shite at first light, then just have a bloody world with yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    talking you myself now!

Master
    Why not just have a landline analogue phone as your primary on call contact?

Added advantage of unable to receive text messages, plus will match the old fashioned pager/beeper!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    This. The rest is self discipline.

I just turn the phone face down. No more blue light.

As to ringing. Put it on vibrate on your nightstand. Ringtone won't disturb you and vibrate is just a buzzing

On mine. I just flipped the switch on the side to silence the ring tone. Makes a little vibration when I'm awake and close by to hear, but not when sleeping.

Mine isn't set to main vibrate, so try that and see how it works

Master
    Nokia 5110.