closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any love for a nice pocket knife in here?

Any love for a nice pocket knife in here?

I have to admit that I do like a nice knife, not just in the culinary department, but a nice pocket knife for everyday little tasks. This working knife was made for me by a friend, he forged the Damascus steel in his forge at home, although it is not the real Damascus steel of old, but uses a similar technique and materials. The wood for the handle was harvested when on exercise in Norway and soaked in oil for 2 years before shaping. The pins are also made by hand as is ther brass guard. It holds a very keen edge for a long time. I use it quite frequently, including this evening for cutting my Stilton while I am away from home.

What has happened to IMGUR? I can't find the page to load a picture from.

Is your friend making modern wootz steel or pattern welded steel knives? Try imgbb.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Is your friend making modern wootz steel or pattern welded steel knives? Try imgbb.
    I don't know. He blends different steels with a hammer and anvil....

I can't work that IMGbb thing either! I was using imgur quite happily up until yesterday, then when I clicked to upload a picture it had all changed completely. I can't find the upload button anywhere! It is just a mess of banners.

Imgur upload is what I need now!

https://i.imgur.com/SCpnkMg.jpg

Maybe it isn't!
    Last edited by Kairos; 23rd November 2022 at 07:47.

Master
    lovely knife that,beautiful wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I don't know. He blends different steels with a hammer and anvil....

:
    Forged, pattern welded Damascus. Hammer and anvil? Bloody hard work. Maybe a pneumatic hammer?

Virtually all Damascus is pattern welded. Layers of steel forged together into a billet, cut into sections, layered, forged again, repeat until the the required number of layers is achieved. The different patterns are controlled by grinding or drilling in to the billet and forging again. The finish is developed on the final product by pickling in ferric chloride solution.

Wootz Damascus was an ancient crucible steel from the Orient. The story goes that the method was forgotten and lost over the centuries, recently researched and recreated in very small, expensive quantities. Or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk