closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A 3+ year commitment.. thoughts on anOrdain?

A 3+ year commitment.. thoughts on anOrdain?

Are there any anOrdain owners on the forum who could share their thoughts on the product? The big attraction is of course the enamel dials, but I've not had the opportunity to see one in the flesh. The promo shots are excellent, but in the metal are they truly worthy of the fuss and price?

There's certainly an appealing story around them, with each dial being handmade in Scotland by a single craftsman. The movements themselves seem pretty run-of-the-mill from what I've read (a choice of a hand wind Sellita SW210 or automatic La Joux-Perret G100), so considering the price it really is all about the dial.

Considering putting down a deposit this weekend for a build slot in 2026... ouch!

Last edited by M1011; 19th November 2022 at 04:02.

Can't comment on the current situation (waited a couple of months for mine when I purchased it a couple of years back) or the fancier dials but very happy with my model 2 with the dark green dial. Very subtle compared to the current offerings but certainly the perfect option for my taste.

Was underwhelmed initially but it has only grown on me over time as I've come to appreciate a lot about the watch and is now my daily wearer in the office 95% of the time.

Happy with my decision for a more subtle option as while the other dials are certainly stunning I was a little concerned that the "novelty" would wear off. The occasional flash of green and the way the enamel catches the light really is something to be seen even on this dial so sure the other dials are quite captivating.

Can't fault the quality of the watch and the customer service for the purchase was great.

Assuming the deposit is refundable don't see that you have anything to lose by putting your name on the list. When your name does finally come up see what is on offer at that point in time and see what takes your fancy or just grab the refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Can't comment on the current situation (waited a couple of months for mine when I purchased it a couple of years back) or the fancier dials but very happy with my model 2 with the dark green dial. Very subtle compared to the current offerings but certainly the perfect option for my taste.

Was underwhelmed initially but it has only grown on me over time as I've come to appreciate a lot about the watch and is now my daily wearer in the office 95% of the time.

Happy with my decision for a more subtle option as while the other dials are certainly stunning I was a little concerned that the "novelty" would wear off. The occasional flash of green and the way the enamel catches the light really is something to be seen even on this dial so sure the other dials are quite captivating.

Can't fault the quality of the watch and the customer service for the purchase was great.

Assuming the deposit is refundable don't see that you have anything to lose by putting your name on the list. When your name does finally come up see what is on offer at that point in time and see what takes your fancy or just grab the refund.
    Interesting as I've also got an option to purchase but the deposit isn't refundable.

stunning watches, but how much is the deposit?

4 years investment in a small company in an ever-changing business world - might be a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

4 years investment in a small company in an ever-changing business world - might be a risk.
    £350.

Blog Entries
    I had this one for a while and I think it is still on the forum - somewhere. The dial really is lovely and incredibly difficult to photograph as you can see.
    Is it worth the wait? That is an individual thing, not sure that I would wait that long but to each their own.

Craftsman
    I got the email yesterday that I could pay the deposit for my build slot. I don't think I'll take it up as the deposit is non refundable and I'm sure the prices have risen considerably since my initial interest

I'm also on the waiting list and was amazed at how far into the future the ordering windows go. Think mine is early 2024. I had an Anordain a while ago and whilst I really liked the dial, I thought the case wasn't particularly refined. There are some new case designs coming that should fix that by the time my order comes up, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Pay the deposit by CC and you don't have to worry about them disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Pay the deposit by CC and you don't have to worry about them disappearing.
    That would appear sensible.

Isn’t there a time limit for any CC protection?

Amazed (but kind of understandable when you think about it) the deposit is non refundable. That's a big commitment considering the time frames and potential cost and design changes over time, not to mention viability of the company but considering the interest not certain that's a concern.

Amazed (but kind of understandable when you think about it) the deposit is non refundable. That's a big commitment considering the time frames and potential cost and design changes over time, not to mention viability of the company but considering the interest not certain that's a concern.
    Look at the way Timefactors does business. Anything else is unsafe. Money up front for a multiyear wait is not the way to gain trust.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Thanks for all the inputs so far, the pictures shared do reinforce that the dials are quite special!

For clarity the deposit anOrdain ask for is model agnostic, and is £420 after VAT for folk in the UK which will be around 15-20% of the total price depending on model chosen. It’s non-refundable, although the comment about using a credit card is a great suggestion, albeit I doubt they fold if they have a booked out schedule until ‘26! They have also committed to maximum price rises of 5% per annum (unclear if that’s for everyone or from the point a deposit is made), so while the price isn’t locked in it’s somewhat constrained.

Also to set expectation for anyone else pondering one, I put my name down via their website in April, so it took roughly 7 months to reach the deposit stage.

The actual model is chosen closer to the build slot, so will allow folk to choose from more recent models too.

I remain on the fence. They do look gorgeous and the fact they are hand made in small numbers is appealing as every other watch I own is mass-produced. On the other hand I do think prices crept up due to popularity and a 3+ year wait is a bit intense. Either way I’ll decide by tomorrow.
    Last edited by M1011; 19th November 2022 at 15:17.

Craftsman
    I also just received the email and am also on the fence. Partly I'm just wondering if the level of demand is going to remain consistent over the next 4 years and whether I'll be able to pick one up a bit more quickly if I change my mind in 2026.

I also wonder if they're going to start showing up a bit more regularly on the used market between now and then.

A 3+ year commitment.. thoughts on anOrdain?

The dials are spectacular, and I wouldn't have an issue about paying the deposit by credit card. My Dornbluth, which is close to shipping after just over 12 months, needed a €1240 Euro deposit, that I paid by CC. 3 years is a long time, but I've waited that long for Rolex GMT (without progress), so the time passes.

If the design was customised to something for you, then I would pay and wait. If they are off the shelf with limited variation, then I might look for a secondary market watch. My Dornbluth is customied to me in a way that makes reselling it without significant loss tricky, but that's ok by me.

If you like the watch, it's personal to you, then go for it, you will forget about the money. The dials are spectacular.

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 19th November 2022 at 19:54.

Craftsman
    I think the fume dials are fantastic. Certainly worth the wait, but it wasn't anywhere near that long.
    They seem to be going from strength to strength and the model 3 teasers have me intrigued.

At the risk of sounding harsh - if you need to ask a bunch of watch-addicted virtual-strangers what to do, you shouldn't do it. That's the sound of your subconscious mind telling your heart to shut-up and behave.

My own tastes and priorities have changed markedly in three years. I don't still have most of the watches I owned three years ago, and of the few I do still have, only one is still with me because I really like it.

All the rest are still with me because no-one will buy them...

I think most of AnOrdain's watches are beautiful, so I don't speak from the perspective of a 'hater'.

Master
    3 years is ridiculous really.

Grand Master
    Don't do it!

3 years to wait for a watch that's nothing special and may not materialise. I'm not a fan of the Sellita 210 hand-wound movement, should be identical to the ETA 2801 but there are a couple of weaknesses. The great wheel (part 210) can come apart, it differs slightly in construction from the ETA equivalent (god knows why they didn`t use the ETA design which is stronger) and the sliding clutch part 407 sticks slightly when the crown goes from winding to handset. I believe this to be caused by poor surface finish to the teeth which can snag on mainplate causing tiny burrs, I have a fix for this but it involves stripping the dial side down. Same parts in the automatic version seem OK for reasons I can speculate on, ham-fiisted owners who aren`t used to hand-wound movements doesn`t help.

What will be the warranty back-up with a watch like this?

that's nice.

Amazed (but kind of understandable when you think about it) the deposit is non refundable.
    I thought the same, taking it from the manufacturers perspective, if these are unique pieces then a non refundable deposit, over that time scale is understandable. That said, how unique are these pieces? There seem to be a few different dial options but assuming a moderate volume being manufactured then if someone pulled out of a purchase, that slot could be transferred to another buyer couldn't it? If that is the case then a non refundable deposit in that order seems overkill. I think that a non refundable deposit of about £50 would make more sense. It stops unreliable buyers messing the manufacturer about with a fully refundable deposit as a £50 loss while minimal, is still annoying and and it also makes reliable buyers more confident that a worst case scenario of the company stopping trading for instance would 'only' mean a £50 loss. Just my thought on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I thought the same, taking it from the manufacturers perspective, if these are unique pieces then a non refundable deposit, over that time scale is understandable. That said, how unique are these pieces? There seem to be a few different dial options but assuming a moderate volume being manufactured then if someone pulled out of a purchase, that slot could be transferred to another buyer couldn't it? If that is the case then a non refundable deposit in that order seems overkill. I think that a non refundable deposit of about £50 would make more sense. It stops unreliable buyers messing the manufacturer about with a fully refundable deposit as a £50 loss while minimal, is still annoying and and it also makes reliable buyers more confident that a worst case scenario of the company stopping trading for instance would 'only' mean a £50 loss. Just my thought on the matter.
    The buyer chooses the options when their build slot comes up so, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    At the risk of sounding harsh - if you need to ask a bunch of watch-addicted virtual-strangers what to do, you shouldn't do it. That's the sound of your subconscious mind telling your heart to shut-up and behave.

My own tastes and priorities have changed markedly in three years. I don't still have most of the watches I owned three years ago, and of the few I do still have, only one is still with me because I really like it.

All the rest are still with me because no-one will buy them...

I think most of AnOrdain's watches are beautiful, so I don't speak from the perspective of a 'hater'.
    Ah but it's a fine group of knowledgeable strangers

A very valid point that a lot can change in 3 years in terms of tastes and priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don't do it!

3 years to wait for a watch that's nothing special and may not materialise. I'm not a fan of the Sellita 210 hand-wound movement, should be identical to the ETA 2801 but there are a couple of weaknesses. The great wheel (part 210) can come apart, it differs slightly in construction from the ETA equivalent (god knows why they didn`t use the ETA design which is stronger) and the sliding clutch part 407 sticks slightly when the crown goes from winding to handset. I believe this to be caused by poor surface finish to the teeth which can snag on mainplate causing tiny burrs, I have a fix for this but it involves stripping the dial side down. Same parts in the automatic version seem OK for reasons I can speculate on, ham-fiisted owners who aren`t used to hand-wound movements doesn`t help.

What will be the warranty back-up with a watch like this?
    Yes the movement certainly is the lower end of the spectrum for the price. They do come with a 5 year warranty though and all reports I've seen suggest that the customer service is exceptional, so credit where it's due on that front I think.

I also don't think this is a scenario where nothing will materialise. Clearly they're doing OK if they've got locked in deposits up until 2026. It's not one of those 'pay us to build the watch upfront' situations, the timeline is driven by limitations on dial production - they do circa 50 a month.

But yea 3 years is a long time. Still not made my mind up!
    Last edited by M1011; 20th November 2022 at 16:40.

Craftsman
    I turned down the offer of paying a hefty deposit and so the watch. The dials are fantastic, eye popping, but, at the present price, I thought that's a lot of money for a dial.

The blue one Crouchy posted has passed through my hands, I think: absolutely beautiful dial, they're really really special in that respect and one has to admire the craft that goes into making them. Having said that, three years is an awfully long time and personally I wouldn't wait that long.

NB: this may say more about my poor impulse control than the watch - if you're into spectacular dials then I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Master
    I love the cream dialled one, but a £350 non-refundable deposit with a wait over three years at a small manufacturer?

It would be a no for me.

I passed in the end.

Tough choice. I think FOMO was influencing me to a certain extent. Ultimately I asked myself if they were lining shelves would I be walking into a shop today to pay £3.5k for a fume dial model? I decided on balance probably not, so best not to financially commit to a 3-year wait.

In 3 years I may have to bump this thread and cry. Time will tell

Amazing colours. The watch must be like the life… scandalous!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I got my 'reserve your slot' email too. 3+ years wait just seemed silly. Still kicking myself that I didn't buy an anordain a few years back before they were famous, before the price hikes, but I just couldn't make the delay and the price work in my head for how much I wanted the dial. Hey ho.

Just been offered my build slot which is now in 2027!

A non-refundable £420 incl VAT for a 4-5 year wait.

No thanks and so another one is out!

That’s hilarious, most people will decline that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    I had this one for a while and I think it is still on the forum - somewhere. The dial really is lovely and incredibly difficult to photograph as you can see.
    Is it worth the wait? That is an individual thing, not sure that I would wait that long but to each their own.

I think I also had this one, or at least this dial. I sold it as the dial just got a bit much after a while. The movement and case isn’t that great, and that was at a way way cheaper price. Would I pay current retail? No, would I wait, absolutely not.

Just my experience.

I think I would like to try one of the fume enamel dials. If anyone has one they'd like to move on, do let me know. I've popped a WTB advert up as well.

Anordain has just announced a new series called Fabrik. The lacquered dials are outsourced, presumably meaning that the watches will be more readily available than the in house enamel, and they're a bit cheaper accordingly. They're to be offered to people on the waiting list first but I suspect most will keep waiting for an enamel model given that it's their main USP. I quite like the purple dialled GMT though.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

A better shot from their website of the GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Anordain has just announced a new series called Fabrik. The lacquered dials are outsourced, presumably meaning that the watches will be more readily available than the in house enamel, and they're a bit cheaper accordingly. They're to be offered to people on the waiting list first but I suspect most will keep waiting for an enamel model given that it's their main USP. I quite like the purple dialled GMT though.

Yea I got an email on those too. £1k+ and to be honest I'm not sure it's worth it. The enamel dial for me is the point of AnOrdain, take that away and you're left with a run-of-the-mill offering IMO. Just my 2 cents of course, but wonder if it dilutes their brand a bit.

Seiko do nice enamel dials. Plenty available at decent prices on the used market. If I wanted a colourful dial I’d also consider pushing to a GO 60’s at these prices.