closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instant coffee fans - come out of the closet!

Journeyman

Instant coffee fans - come out of the closet!

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    Well this is the most appalling thread I have ever read in my long tenure in this forum.

I take only certified organic and wild harvested Kopi Luwak. Vacuum sealed packs kept cold and of no more than 100 grammes to preserve the flavour. These are hand picked and sun dried in a single layer of beans. I have them turned individually so the drying process is perfectly the same on both sides of each bean, any imperfect beans are rejected at this stage. I have these roasted on site to ensure single origin and I insist on endothermic roasting to a 17.5% weight reduction.

I grind the beans in a low speed burr grinder with 75% at 16 gauge and 25% at 13. These are thoroughly mixed.

I use a 1930s Bialetti stove top single cup Moka pot and preheat the pure Canadian iceberg water to 70c. A single 60ml cup is prepared with. 15:1 w/w ratio of water to coffee.

After pouring into a slightly conical white porcelain cup I leave for precisely 5 minutes and 15 seconds to cool and settle.

Then and only then is it ready to drink.

Gentlemen please reconsider your behaviour.
    Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Used to have a De Longi machine, got one of they pod machines in the kitchen that never gets used. Nescafe gold blend 7, smooth and silky is as good as anything.
    7?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    Well this is the most appalling thread I have ever read in my long tenure in this forum.

I take only certified organic and wild harvested Kopi Luwak. Vacuum sealed packs kept cold and of no more than 100 grammes to preserve the flavour. These are hand picked and sun dried in a single layer of beans. I have them turned individually so the drying process is perfectly the same on both sides of each bean, any imperfect beans are rejected at this stage. I have these roasted on site to ensure single origin and I insist on endothermic roasting to a 17.5% weight reduction.

I grind the beans in a low speed burr grinder with 75% at 16 gauge and 25% at 13. These are thoroughly mixed.

I use a 1930s Bialetti stove top single cup Moka pot and preheat the pure Canadian iceberg water to 70c. A single 60ml cup is prepared with. 15:1 w/w ratio of water to coffee.

After pouring into a slightly conical white porcelain cup I leave for precisely 5 minutes and 15 seconds to cool and settle.

Then and only then is it ready to drink.

Gentlemen please reconsider your behaviour.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Someone mentioned Aldi Columbian, never tried that one but my favourite is Lidl Columbian.

Can’t stand those like Milicano with coffee grounds. Don’t see the point, real coffee (apart from maybe Turkish) just isn’t like that and just tastes gritty.
    Agree on both points. Recently bought the Aldi Colombian and it’s a good instant coffee. Prefer it over those fine powder coffees in the tins.

The Milicano is dreadful. Tried it once and couldn’t work out why anyone would pay a premium for it.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Azera here - the decaf version. To make matters worse, I add it to a chocolate drink to make a mocha flavour :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Coffee bags are okay, they haven’t really taken off though for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    We like Kenco Millicano Americano Decaff mixed with half an Aldi Cappuccino sachet and a dab of milk. A drop of rum or Baileys doesn't do it any harm on a cold night.

Can't believe they didn't call it Kenco Millicano Americano Decaffo.

Master
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    The Lidl version of Azera, I’ve found to be the best of that type. Coffee is such a personal thing though - hard to recommend!

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Wife does the shopping and transfers from shop jar to storage jar before I see it, one heaped spoonful and hot-not boiling-water in a mug and drink, if I want coffee I want it not now not after some complex process.
    Although I do hear used coffee grounds are good for the garden?

I drink L'or classic instant and have done for a few years but having read this thread I think I'll give some of these suggestions a try

Thanks
    John

Anyone mentioned Camp coffee yet?
    Or for the Steve1989 fans, Coffee, Instant Type I or II.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    7?
    Nescafé gold blend do an intensity number, 9 is the strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    I love Camp coffee made with milk.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It used to be Kenco Smooth but that brand practically doesn't exist outside of Ireland and the UK. Maxwell House mild would be the closest match but it's powdered rather than granulated, which I don't like, so trying random kinds now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Haven’t seen that for years, used used to enjoy a cup, must seek out a bottle.

I’m happy with instant and also have some coffee bags which are a step up I suppose but you have to let it brew etc.

You can buy the most expensive coffee machines, beans and grinders but it will never taste like a coffee from a small cafe in an Italian village, until then I’m happy with instant..

I only really drink coffee in the morning now and that's ground from a cafetierre, but when I did drink instant I found I liked Douwe Egbert's best.

Still got a jar in the cupboard for visitors and the odd time I fancy a coffee later in the day.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I've just forced a cup of Gold Blend down me neck at work. Foul brackish effluent - never again.

They used to have Clipper Organic instant but clearly the cost of living crisis is being felt, even in the kitchens of multi-million-pound media companies. Bastards!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Coffee bags are okay, they haven’t really taken off though for some reason.

Probably for the same reason they didn't take off in the 1970s and 1980s - people prefer fresh ground or no fuss instant.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Probably for the same reason they didn't take off in the 1970s and 1980s - people prefer fresh ground or no fuss instant.

B
    Doesn't explain it, plenty of ground coffee is sold.

Another vote for the Aldi Colombian , usually have Kenco smooth or rich but got the Aldi on a whim and very impressed.

Grand Master
    Lavazza Intenso here, getting harder to find though and it’s normally £5 a jar so whenever it’s on offer down to £3 or below i buy 20!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

After reading this thread I noticed an unopened jar of the Aldi Colombian. Had to throw away half a jar of something else from co-op that had hardened into a single block, but this thread made me remember that a cup of instant coffee can be a good thing. Not the same kind of drink as ‘proper’ coffee, but not in a bad way.

Anyway, two teaspoons of coffee, plenty of milk and half a sugar (which I never have in coffee otherwise) and now I’ve had 3 today already!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    My name is Dave, and I like instant coffee.
    Hi Dave [round of applause].

My name's Rob, and I like Douwe Egberts.

Craftsman
    I like the Costa one now. Used to drink any of it. Went off a lot of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    After reading this thread I noticed an unopened jar of the Aldi Colombian. Had to throw away half a jar of something else from co-op that had hardened into a single block, but this thread made me remember that a cup of instant coffee can be a good thing. Not the same kind of drink as ‘proper’ coffee, but not in a bad way.

Anyway, two teaspoons of coffee, plenty of milk and half a sugar (which I never have in coffee otherwise) and now I’ve had 3 today already!

Think it was the CEO of Whittards at one point who said similar. It’s a nice enough drink, but not coffee as such.

Master
    Probably going to get flamed for this but here goes, for those that drink decaf coffee - which one do you find best?

I do like toe curling full strength Java coffee in my cafetiere but for convenience the Aldi Cost Rican instant is a decent drop...used to be partial to Nescafe dark roast but that's disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Probably going to get flamed for this but here goes, for those that drink decaf coffee - which one do you find best?
    Percol decaf and is easily obtained. I get requested it for a visitor that stays. Then I get to finish it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Percol decaf and is easily obtained. I get requested it for a visitor that stays. Then I get to finish it.
    That is decent, my dad drinks it here but find the availability has got a bit more patchy these days.