closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions/advice 36mm day date

Opinions/advice 36mm day date

Hi everyone, my brother is having a cull and up for sale is his 2021 36mm yellow gold day date with “grey” diamond dial.
    He’s had some quite surprising low trade offers at circa £20k and has said to me if I want it for that I can have it…
    I wasn’t looking at buying a 36mm day date anytime soon but am thinking with the recent price rise it’s an astonishing 35 per cent off of list price..
    I have rang Rolex to ask about a dial swap and they have confirmed I can do this but only after five years. Price was pretty reasonable as well. (Although must be done as part of a service).
    I’ve had the 40mm day date and find it wears very well. The 36mm is a touch on the small side but is the classic size..
    Anyhow, what’s your thoughts? Buy it or let it go to trade?
    Cheers!

Last edited by Yeti; 16th November 2022 at 17:50.

Grand Master
    I`ve always had a soft spot for these, a friend of mine bought one as his retirement gift to himself, but I know its a watch I`d never wear if I owned one. Not keen on the diamond dial but that would swap out OK in future. Silver, plain black or white are all good options.

Question to ask yourself is this: do you really want a day-date? If so its a good opportunity but if you're only buying because it appears a bargain it probably isn`t a good move. Also ask yourself how often you'd wear it? With the current economic uncertainties there's no guarantee that it won't lose money in future should you decide not to keep it.

For me the 36mm size is always the right choice unless you've got wrists like a bear, the design works best in this size.

I'd let it go. I think that's too small personally.

I think when going for a DD36 in coloured gold the leather strap versions suit it more unless the size works really well on your wrist and the watch takes up the right amount of wrist space.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd let it go. I think that's too small personally.

I think when going for a DD36 in coloured gold the leather strap versions suit it more unless the size works really well on your wrist and the watch takes up the right amount of wrist space.
    I was actually thinking if it was possible to put it onto leather…do you know if I need any special end links for this at all?

Heads up, the serial number is visible in your first photo if you care about such things.

I think it sounds like a bargain, with the added comfort that assuming your brother bought it from an AD you won't have to worry about any issues with authenticity or the warranty.

That said, I'd echo above, do you actually want to own and wear it, or do you just think the price is right? If the latter, maybe pass.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Heads up, the serial number is visible in your first photo if you care about such things.

I think it sounds like a bargain, with the added comfort that assuming your brother bought it from an AD you won't have to worry about any issues with authenticity or the warranty.

That said, I'd echo above, do you actually want to own and wear it, or do you just think the price is right? If the latter, maybe pass.
    My brother did buy it from the AD we both use and it’s had limited wear. List price is now £31,150.
    You’re quite right I do think it’s very well priced but it’s a funny old time with watches and have they got room to drop in price over the next few years? Il admit part of this hobby is the fact I am very fortunate to have never lost any money on watches and I wouldn’t like to start now.
    I would love to acquire some genuine end links and maybe a genuine clasp and wear this on a leather strap…

Grand Master
    The leather strap option is probably better and makes it more wearable. Have to disagree with Wiley regarding size, but it's all relative to wrist size and it will be a bit small for the chunky monkeys.

If you like the watch I`d take a punt at that price and risk losing a little if you decide not to keep it. The loss only crystallises if you sell it, all the more reason to be sure you really like it enough. Getting the end links and strap will add to the cost and it might be worth getting a figure before committing.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The leather strap option is probably better and makes it more wearable. Have to disagree with Wiley regarding size, but it's all relative to wrist size and it will be a bit small for the chunky monkeys.

If you like the watch I`d take a punt at that price and risk losing a little if you decide not to keep it. The loss only crystallises if you sell it, all the more reason to be sure you really like it enough. Getting the end links and strap will add to the cost and it might be worth getting a figure before committing.
    Excellent advice and I’m leaning towards buying it. Would love to get some genuine end links and strap to have the option of swapping bracelet/strap when I fancy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I was actually thinking if it was possible to put it onto leather…do you know if I need any special end links for this at all?
    I'm not sure but I think EagleTower on here has one. Can't remember the exact config but remember it being in leather and looking really good

I don’t think it’s expensive but personally I’d not buy it.
    To me it looks too “old fashioned” for £20k if you see what I mean.
    You can buy a old 36mm day date for less and I don’t think this looks any different.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    You can buy a old 36mm day date for less and I don’t think this looks any different.
    Just my opinion.
    To be fair, it objectively will be different though. This comes with the benefits of a modern Rolex and without a lifetime of wear & tear.

(of course some folk would prefer the vintage look/feel, that's cool too)

36mm DD on a 20mm president bracelet is the best balanced Rolex ever!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    36mm DD on a 20mm president bracelet is the best balanced Rolex ever!
    Yes I agree. The 36mm model looks refined whilst the 40mm model just screams "I AM A NOUVEAU RICHE ROLEX WEARER".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes I agree. The 36mm model looks refined whilst the 40mm model just screams "I AM A NOUVEAU RICHE ROLEX WEARER".
    I agree. Also case / bracelet proportions are wrong.

36 / 20 is the ultimate watch design ratio imo.

I would all over it @ 20k. I would swap a black or silver dial on and wear it with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I am very wary of watches wearing too big but don't think the DD40 wears big at all.
    The 36mm suits ladies wrists though and that would be a cracking ladies watch with a slightly different coloured dial.
    A good buy imo.

As long as (i) you realise you are paying market value and not kid yourself it is cheap, (ii) you like it, then buy it.

However, already mentioning a dial swap maybe says you don't like it as is. I would want to retain the original dial, so, it will be dear and don't know if Rolex will let you have an additional one, or insist on a swap?

I accept what others say about the size and do consider the 36mm works well in yellow gold, but all depends on your preferences and wrist size etc. Plus, many ladies like this configuration, so could allow a happy dual purpose watch in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Just my opinion.
    Visually very very similar to older models but just reading up in 2019 this latest iteration has ceramic pin sleeves to prevent the bracelet stretch, the latest and greatest movement updates and also case updates. So although you could buy a cheaper model for say £10k you’re not getting the latest and greatest.
    Decisions decisions!

Blog Entries
    You mention you have tried the 40mm DD and find that fits better. Maybe get that one instead? Try taking a picture of your brothers watch wearing reflected in a mirror to get a better idea how it looks on you? Can you post a pic? Judging just on your picture the 36mm does look a bit small - but difficult to tell for sure.

I tried the lastest 40mm in gold with gold bracelet - same version on recently - and loved it!!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

The size is absolutely fine, but the watch is too blingy, so much going on with the flute shine and diamond etc. and that paired with the size makes it look rather feminine imo. Just my 2p worth.

What's to think about? Just buy it.

If you have the money then buy it. It’s a nice watch that I doubt will ever be worth less than £20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I have a sub 7 inch wrist, when I tried the 36mm on I thought it looked lost on me.

Be careful in regard to the leather strap idea. I'm not aware of any end links for the six digit DD, so you may have to be content with the strap gaps. I don't think a curved end leather would look any good butted up to the case.

You also like the 40mm, so I'd be concerned of not bonding with the 36mm

40mm on 6.75 inch flat wrist -