closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 538

Thread: 2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

  1. #101
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,205
    Footyball - Iíd rather watch grass grow.

  2. #102
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Today I feel Qatari,Ē he said. ďToday I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel [like] a migrant worker.Ē

    He added: ďOf course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated [against], to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country. As a child I was bullied Ė because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian, so imagine.

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...orld-cup-qatar
    The man is an imbecile. Shouldn't be surprised - the precedent for being in that role isn't exactly setting a high bar.

  3. #103
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LŽtzebuerg
    Posts
    35,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The man is an imbecile. Shouldn't be surprised - the precedent for being in that role isn't exactly setting a high bar.
    The only worse candidate than Infantilo to replace Blatter was Beckenbauer. But his English sucks and he was outspent by Infantilo.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  4. #104
    Master TKH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hot Tub
    Posts
    3,135
    Not a footballist but I have to say listening to Journalists defending themselves is quite funny.

    Gabby Logan speaking on behalf of herself and Lineker when given a tough question on Human Rights etc

    ďYou need to understand we arenít going there to support we are going there to reportĒ

    Ok

    Be brutally honest most people offered £ xxxxxx for a gig will leave any personal views or morals in the bin until its over and money banked.

    I wonder if they will be getting paid in $ in Country earned ? Ooh err.

    That salad looks ok ever had a burger at Silverstone ?

  5. #105
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,916
    I have a few half used tins of paint...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  6. #106
    Master vagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Here and There....
    Posts
    6,003
    Blog Entries
    1
    Anyone going to the World Cup staying at the (£175 per night) Fan Village?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63690765





  7. #107
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    Like sleeping in a Sauna good value at £175 a night. Some people must have money then sense.

  8. #108
    Lol what a lovely bit of type 1 mot.

  9. #109
    Master Grandiloquence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Not a footballist but I have to say listening to Journalists defending themselves is quite funny.

    Gabby Logan speaking on behalf of herself and Lineker when given a tough question on Human Rights etc

    ďYou need to understand we arenít going there to support we are going there to reportĒ

    Ok

    Be brutally honest most people offered £ xxxxxx for a gig will leave any personal views or morals in the bin until its over and money banked.

    I wonder if they will be getting paid in $ in Country earned ? Ooh err.

    That salad looks ok ever had a burger at Silverstone ?
    Seeing Gary Neville being put to the sword by Ian Hislop on HIGNFY was amusing.

  10. #110
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,887
    The Qatar keeper looks good.....

  11. #111
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not going to plan for Qatar is it. Not watching it but I do like to check scores

  12. #112
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,887
    Qatar look appalling. Seriously bad. Still, at least the fans have the half time stonings to look forward to.

  13. #113
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,322
    VAR official must be looking forward to using his new yacht after disallowing that goal.

  14. #114
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    12,767
    Glad to see them getting thumped. Terrible team. I feared the ref had been bribed after that first goal got chalked off: still a complete mystery why. They said offside but I saw nobody offside in the whole move.

  15. #115
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lose the next one then and their 300,000 subjects will lose all interest.

  16. #116
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Leics/Notts border
    Posts
    1,355
    This is really poor quality.

  17. #117
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    11,896
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Lose the next one then and their 300,000 subjects will lose all interest.
    Iíd love it if the regime just packed up and took their ball with them, leaving FIFA to clear up the mess.

    The shortest World Cup in history

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    This is really poor quality.
    A dire set of fixtures in the group stages. Spain vs Germany, thatís about it to watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #119
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    12,767
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Lose the next one then and their 300,000 subjects will lose all interest.
    They already left at held time today - empty seats everywhere. Complete embarrassment

  20. #120
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,887
    Qatar were so bad that Spurs wouldn't have been losing to them at half time.

  21. #121
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    A dire set of fixtures in the group stages. Spain vs Germany, thatís about it to watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tha5 might be interesting in the knockouts , not so much the group stage.
    Wales v USA should be fun . They will both fancy their chances and should make for a decent game .

  22. #122
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,957
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    VAR official must be looking forward to using his new yacht after disallowing that goal.
    That VAR ref should be on the plane home, straight to a center where they sell white-red canes. Knowing FIFA, he will be the ref on the pitch during the World Cup Final.

    EDIT: ... but only after Quatar had lost the semi-final from Brazil during the penalty shoot-out... Who would have thought that Quatar could make it to the semi-finals after they'd mysteriously and unexpectedly lost the WC opening game against Equador.

    (After the final, mr Infantino was given a statue made from pure gold and he was offered the honorary citizenship of Doha).

    Something like that?
    Last edited by thieuster; 20th November 2022 at 20:42.

  23. #123
    Wasn't the goalkeeper so far forward that two defenders needed to be between the striker and the goal?

  24. #124
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    VAR official must be looking forward to using his new yacht after disallowing that goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That VAR ref should be on the plane home, straight to a center where they sell white-red canes. Knowing FIFA, he will be the ref on the pitch during the World Cup Final.
    I have been reliably informed that the official's family have now been released and reunited.

  25. #125
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    34,652
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Qatar were so bad that Spurs wouldn't have been losing to them at half time.

  26. #126
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,309
    I found it all a bit....sterile. All very staged. Like I imagine all the middle eastern states to be as places to visit.

    No atmosphere despite the Ecuador fans being excellent and doing their bit to make it a great occasion. Qatar 'fans' all wearing the same clothes and doing rehearsed routines was just creepy, very Stepford Wives. A terrible host team who were Northern Premier League (that's a bit insulting to Blyth Spartans) standard at best. All-in-all it was a bit cringy, dare I say embarrassing.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 20th November 2022 at 21:06.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    They already left at held time today - empty seats everywhere. Complete embarrassment
    The WC should only played in the heartlands, not some desert backwater, perhaps they will learn from this no matter how much corruption.

  28. #128
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,957
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The WC should only played in the heartlands, not some desert backwater, perhaps they will learn from this no matter how much corruption.

    Mmmm... heartlands... Next WC is in Canada/US/Mexico. 16 stadiums, 48 countries. I can see some trouble here: playing in (e.g.) Vancouver is a lot easier than playing Mexico City during the summer! And, I cannot say that the US and Canada are the heartlands of soccer. The chance of corruption is 2/3 less. (I guess you can fill in what the last 1/3 is).

    Infantino was the guy who brushed out all the cupboards of corruption when he became FIFA chief. Now, he's equal to Blatter.

  29. #129
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Mmmm... heartlands... Next WC is in Canada/US/Mexico. 16 stadiums, 48 countries. I can see some trouble here: playing in (e.g.) Vancouver is a lot easier than playing Mexico City during the summer! And, I cannot say that the US and Canada are the heartlands of soccer. The chance of corruption is 2/3 less. (I guess you can fill in what the last 1/3 is).

    Infantino was the guy who brushed out all the cupboards of corruption when he became FIFA chief. Now, he's equal to Blatter.
    From experience all the best WC were held in Europe South and Central America

  30. #130
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    From experience all the best WC were held in Europe South and Central America
    The Brazil 2014 WC was as equally corrupt as this one .

  31. #131
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LŽtzebuerg
    Posts
    35,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    From experience all the best WC were held in Europe South and Central America
    US 94 and France 98 would like to have a word.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  32. #132
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LŽtzebuerg
    Posts
    35,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  33. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    US 94 and France 98 would like to have a word.
    Eh, where was France 98?

  34. #134
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    How the hell do they get to that number???

  35. #135
    Yep. Thatís how I understand the rule but a lot of people donít seem to realise it. Especially on twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Wasn't the goalkeeper so far forward that two defenders needed to be between the striker and the goal?
    Last edited by acg; 20th November 2022 at 23:58.

  36. #136
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Qatar look appalling. Seriously bad. Still, at least the fans have the half time stonings to look forward to.
    A pound shop Andorra

  37. #137
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LŽtzebuerg
    Posts
    35,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Eh, where was France 98?
    Ah, I read the post as South of Europe - you correct.

    The benefits of punctuation....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  38. #138
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,887
    Apparently if the captains wear a one love armband they will immediately receive a yellow card upon entering the field of play

  39. #139
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Did anyone see this?

    BBC ignores World Cup opening ceremony in favour of Qatar criticism

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...atar-criticism

  40. #140
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Madeley shropshire
    Posts
    4,841
    Well for the first time since I were a lad:) I didnít bother no interest at all, Iíve not watched the last five Grand Prix either.

  41. #141
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LŽtzebuerg
    Posts
    35,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    Well for the first time since I were a lad:) I didnít bother no interest at all, Iíve not watched the last five Grand Prix either.
    I only watched a handful of games in 2018, will be probably less this time. Followed the score yesterday via TZ-UK.

    F1? Not in 20 years.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  42. #142
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    34,652
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Did anyone see this?

    BBC ignores World Cup opening ceremony in favour of Qatar criticism

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...atar-criticism
    That was an incredible moment in BBC sports coverage, IMO. I was gobsmacked.

  43. #143
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LŽtzebuerg
    Posts
    35,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  44. #144
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    12,767
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The WC should only played in the heartlands, not some desert backwater, perhaps they will learn from this no matter how much corruption.
    I liked the World Cup when It was held in the Far East as there is at least interest in the game there

  45. #145
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    12,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Basically cost more than e every other World Cup in history added together. Thatís actually mind blowing. What a waste of money.

  46. #146
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    34,652
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Glad to see them getting thumped. Terrible team. I feared the ref had been bribed after that first goal got chalked off: still a complete mystery why. They said offside but I saw nobody offside in the whole move.
    The ref didn't make the decision - he gave the goal - and I think it was because the keeper came so far off his line.

  47. #147
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,887
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The ref didn't make the decision - he gave the goal - and I think it was because the keeper came so far off his line.
    Yep it was offside by the letter of the law

  48. #148
    I bet more people than usual are WFH today.

    Just been on a call and the Scottish contingent are in the office today.

  49. #149
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,240
    There go the OneLove armbands. Mustnít upset FIFA and the host nation.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63699477

  50. #150
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,368
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    There go the OneLove armbands. Mustnít upset FIFA and the host nation.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63699477
    I thought they would go ahead anyhow and risk the captain booking or all 9 nations would threaten to pull out and derail the tournament.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information