closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    At some point I got sick and tired of the Messi worship.

But you gotta admit that guy is a machine. You gotta have balls of steel to score that kind of penalty in the pen.shootout... in a game like that... in a situation like that.

Argentina is pretty much one man team. Messi has orchestrated almost all of their goals in this tournament.

I think that’s their strength. In 2018 they went in with a load of attacking options (Higuian, Aguero, Dybala, Lautaro, Icardi and Messi) and it was all a bit of a compromise.
    This time it’s Messi or bust. The team is structured around him to let him play.
    Higher risk I guess but is that not what they did with Maradona in ‘86 and ‘90?

2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    An answer I would expect from a Scotsman, know nowt about football
    A tad harsh?! I’m sure his prediction was based more on the fact France are tournament favourites and world cup holders. Not sure why that drew an anti Scotland comment. Curious why?
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 10th December 2022 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I think that’s their strength. In 2018 they went in with a load of attacking options (Higuian, Aguero, Dybala, Lautaro, Icardi and Messi) and it was all a bit of a compromise.
    This time it’s Messi or bust. The team is structured around him to let him play.
    Higher risk I guess but is that not what they did with Maradona in ‘86 and ‘90?
    Correct. Maradona had knee and ankle injuries in 1990 and he didn't contribute that much. He actually played very deep low in the midfield in that tournament... not a striker role at all.

But he contributed when it mattered and was some kind of "mental leader". He eliminated Brazil with that crazy catapult run... and put the deciding penalty to Italy's net in the semifinal. It was actually very similar as Messi's penalty yesterday.

They also lost their first game to Cameroon (as they lost to Saudi Arabia in this tournament) and still went to the final. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    A tad harsh?! I’m sure his prediction was based more on the fact France are tournament favourites and world cup holders. Not sure why that drew an anti Scotland comment. Curious why?
    It did make me smile but what more would you expect in the face of facts??

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Any game Lahoz gets generally ends up all about him. The bigger the occasion, the worse he is. Suits FIFA to a T.
    Spot on. He cause a riot on his own.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We also have Southgate, we win despite his tactics and not because of them. We have the players and have to hope they are good enough to win on their own.

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    Individually England have a huge array of talent and so they should given the structure they have, and are adept at professionalism on the pitch.

It’s unbelievable how these individuals become average Saturday afternoon park players when the whites are put on. They either bottle it or get set up wrong and flatter to deceive, always.

Jim

I think the criticism of Southgate is strange- if he wins tonight it will be back to back World Cup semis and a euros final - thats the best record arguably of any manager of England even when they won the Jules Rimet all those years ago. Media seem to be on board with him as well now. Surprised so many don’t rate him tbh. Nobody is perfect and sure he has faults but he is a decent manager surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Individually England have a huge array of talent and so they should given the structure they have, and are adept at professionalism on the pitch.

It’s unbelievable how these individuals become average Saturday afternoon park players when the whites are put on. They either bottle it or get set up wrong and flatter to deceive, always.

Jim
    Individuals don't win matches. Teams do.

They are not a full time team, which is why sometimes they don't win. Same applies to all - see those knocked out for comparison.

Come on England!

Blog Entries
    Spot on. He cause a riot on his own.

Jim
    interestingly, Frenkie de Jong (Barça) knows the guy from La Liga. He’d not expected this from the ref. In fact he was positive about him to his team mates before the game.

In a normal (non Fifa…) situation the guy’s career ended yesterday.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Individuals don't win matches. Teams do.

They are not a full time team, which is why sometimes they don't win. Same applies to all - see those knocked out for comparison.

Come on England!
    Exactly. That’s why the ‘lesser’ talented players, when combined as a team, do it.

England’s international football and rugby teams should always be up there at the top, even winning trophies, but they continue to fail as their team and tactics don’t seem to work.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    interestingly, Frenkie de Jong (Barça) knows the guy from La Liga. He’d not expected this from the ref. In fact he was positive about him to his team mates before the game.

In a normal (non Fifa…) situation the guy’s career ended yesterday.
    I’d like to think so but fifa like the hype that goes with controversy so he’ll probably get the final 🤬😭

Exactly. That’s why the ‘lesser’ talented players, when combined as a team, do it.

England’s international football and rugby teams should always be up there at the top, even winning trophies, but they continue to fail as their team and tactics don’t seem to work.

Jim
    They've not failed. Four years since the last World Cup. Keep up your positive vibes eh?

Edit: You're Scottish - LOL!
    Last edited by MacDeath; 10th December 2022 at 11:21.

Jim
    They play exactly how Southgate wants them to play, it's why I worry about our prospects, I dont rate him at all

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    They play exactly how Southgate wants them to play, it's why I worry about our prospects, I dont rate him at all

His record suggests you might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I hope so of course.

But even if he won the world cup i still wouldnt rate him, my opinion is very much we win despite his tactics not because of them.

We have very very good players and I hope that sees us through. Southgates tactics bore me, but hey ho, come on England

I think Southgate has been great - a calming influence on a squad under ever increasing pressure. How could any sensible England fan expect better than a WC semi, a Euros final, and now a quarter final in which they haven’t been written off against the champions and favourites?

England haven't beaten anyone ranked higher than them in a tournament since 2002 when we beat Argentina so the notion is that under Southgate we beat the teams we are supposed to beat but don't win the 50/50 games or the ones we are underdogs in. Great chance to prove this notion wrong tonight of course!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 10th December 2022 at 15:54.

Any excitement I had for England's game later has been completely overshadowed by the death in Qatar of Grant Wahl.
    One of "soccer's" great promoters, primarily to the US audience, who effectively passed away in the press box of the Argentina-Netherlands match yesterday.
    I can't say what I really fear in G+D but I do want to say RIP to one of the good guys who was just doing the job he loved and excelled at last night.
    An LGBTQ+ supporter to the N'th degree who had highlighted the extremely dark side of this World Cup, including being refused entry to a game and then detained for wearing a rainbow flag on his shirt.
    His work is a reminder the tournament needn't have been held in Qatar. His death, if you listen to his brother, may be the ultimate reminder of that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    6 games played in the nations league, 3 draws, 3 losses. England weren’t playing with a weakened team either.
    England win tonight they go on and win it hopefully.

Master
    This 'Anyone But England' mentality is petty and reflects badly on us as a nation, and it's about time we merci d'ignorer le début de ce tweet et de soutenir nos héroïques français contre les anglais

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    They've not failed. Four years since the last World Cup. Keep up your positive vibes eh?

Edit: You're Scottish - LOL!
    And??

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    6 games played in the nations league, 3 draws, 3 losses. England weren’t playing with a weakened team either.
    England win tonight they go on and win it hopefully.
    That poor run shouldn’t overshadow the achievements mentioned elsewhere on this thread.

So basically whoever wins out of France and England looks like they might have to beat Morocco to get to the final!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 10th December 2022 at 16:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So basically whoever wins out of France and England looks like they might have to beat Morocco to get to the final!
    Morocco is sensationally good. Best African team since Roger Milla's Cameroon.

The biggest difference is that Morocco has great defense.

They also have very straightforward, offensive tactics. Nice to watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can’t wait for tonight, on the fan front we might be up against the Argies and Brazilian’s on last nights noise, we are in Cape Verde and it seems their are a lot of South Americans here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Where was the Portuguese keeper never gonna make it was he.

What’s the betting Ronnie coming on scoring and he is the hero

Some great football being played, spoilt (IMO) by the theatrics and histrionics from players, team officials etc. FIFA would do well to emulate Rugby Union where the Laws of the Game say:

9 Foul play

Misconduct

A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

Players must respect the authority of the referee. They must not dispute the referee’s decisions. They must stop playing immediately when the referee blows the whistle to stop play.

See also...Match Official Abuse - guidance (pdf).

Not forgetting that in RU the captains may address the referee.

Master
    Tell you what
    I’m loving the winter World Cup thing
    What else would you be doing in the winter
    Brilliant idea by those corrupt Fuxxers FIFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Tell you what
    I’m loving the winter World Cup thing
    What else would you be doing in the winter
    Brilliant idea by those corrupt Fuxxers FIFA

I have to agree. All the major motor racing series have come to an end. There's the English Open snooker between now and Christmas. This adds something to a season that would otherwise be pretty dismal, IMO.

Master
    Amazing result. Well done Morocco!

Master
    Blog Entries
    No fairytale ending for Ronnie. Bloody well done Morrocco

Well done Morocco but fair to say England or France would fancy their chances of getting to the final if they win tonight

If you want to win the World Cup you’ll have to beat Morocco….said nobody ever!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Who said football is straightforward. Well done Morocco!

Jim

When you realise you have to go back to the Tottenham substitutes bench

Blog Entries

Who said football is straightforward. Well done Morocco!

Jim
    With a coach who’s only 100 days at the helm of the National Squad.

Craftsman
    England haven't beaten anyone ranked higher than them in a tournament since 2002 when we beat Argentina so the notion is that under Southgate we beat the teams we are supposed to beat but don't win the 50/50 games or the ones we are underdogs in. Great chance to prove this notion wrong tonight of course!
    Have some faith soppy bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Tiresome isn't it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

With a coach who’s only 100 days at the helm of the National Squad.
    Indeed. As Bruce Forsyth would say, ‘didn’t they do well!’

Was going to sit back and enjoy the France game but Mrs McB has decreed we're going out.

Jim

Indeed. As Bruce Forsyth would say, ‘didn’t they do well!’

Was going to sit back and enjoy the France game but Mrs McB has decreed we're going out.

Jim
    We're usually in Provence at the traditional time for the World Cup and Euros - and since Scotland never does brilliantly (cough), we are quite happy to go to the local bistros for sig games and cheer France: "Allez les bleus!" along with the locals.

I'll be doing the same tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    The point was in response to the question as to why some people don't rate Southgate

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    We're usually in Provence at the traditional time for the World Cup and Euros - and since Scotland never does brilliantly (cough), we are quite happy to go to the local bistros for sig games and cheer France: "Allez les bleus!" along with the locals.

I'll be doing the same tonight.
    Enjoy good buddy and remember the Auld Allianz

As for Scotland and football, they don’t go in the same sentence. Thankfully unlike some nations fans, we know it and laugh at ourselves quite happily cos we are sh1te!

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 10th December 2022 at 19:53.

cos we are sh1te!

Jim
    Never a truer statement.

When you realise you have to go back to the Tottenham substitutes bench
    Yeah, that’s what happens when you’ve got a front line as strong as ours, Ryan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Never a truer statement.
    What’s the score just now in the France game?

Vive la France! [I'm part French.]

What’s the score just now in the France game?
    l'Angleterre nil points

La belle France - 1

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    l'Angleterre nil points

La belle France - 1
    No way! Wayhay.

Good game??

Wut?

We can discuss if it was inside the box or not, but that was 200% a foul.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.