closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Southgate is there one reason only, for National team success.

He failed miserably. Sod the nice culture and young and promising team.

He failed. Full stop.

Next.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    So the clamour begins to get rid of Southgate, I’m wondering if he goes who do we bring in who can get the best out of these players and has the tactical nous to win something against the supposed bigger teams.

Not exactly a strong list to pick from is there, wonder if Sir Alex or Jurgen are bored haha…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Big Sam :)

Southgate and the team have done really well and hopefully he sticks with it. Quarter final, final, semi final, you just have to keep that consistency up and eventually you'll get the luck and it will be your turn.

City are in the same boat with the Champions League, and they'll get there too.

Seen the same with the Lionesses and they did it in the end.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    With no outstanding teams in this years WC and many of the superstars aging and past their best you have to feel that this was a real chance for England to go all the way.

Master
    Wonder if Southgate will bail as I read he is considering his future. I personally think he is a good man/squad touchy feely manager and doing PR fluff but I think he is lacking in actual game management. We've thrown away the chance to win the two previous tournaments due to his poor tactics (imho). He's also got stuck in the playing favourites too much though tbf Maguire has done well. The old "we have lots of potential argument" is a shit one to pull as you just need to win when you can period.

Master
    Don't think there was much between the teams last night, the difference being Griezmann and the ref.

The refereeing overall has been pretty good but last night's and the Argentina Holland games were appalling they should both be struck off

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    As far as Southgate is concerned, what was the bloody point of bringing Grealish on with only 90 seconds of added time left?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Has Grealish (with his prancing pony hair) not been brought on in dying minutes before? To the commentary of "England's secret weapon". Big hint - bring him on way earlier if he's that much of a weapon.
    It wasn't a tactical decision and Grealish was only put on because Stones was injured

Master
    So the clamour begins to get rid of Southgate, I’m wondering if he goes who do we bring in who can get the best out of these players and has the tactical nous to win something against the supposed bigger teams.

Not exactly a strong list to pick from is there, wonder if Sir Alex or Jurgen are bored haha…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eddie Howe for me, don’t waste the opportunity on another foreign manager when one is working in the Prem with the majority of squad players.

Craftsman
    It was all in the plan!

https://twitter.com/jtov10/status/16...LlSs1hKnDolwvw

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    IMO we were not good enough soft group stage a decent win against a good team Senegal then a different class in France ( ref was awful btw) as to Southgate never been impressed but no obvious replacement should he go other than Howe or Potter.
    Feel for Kane a great servant to both club and country who will most probably when his career finishes end up trophyless.
    As an aside i would love to see Morocco win it they have beaten some decent opposition to get where they are.
    Last edited by mart broad; 11th December 2022 at 14:05.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    IMO we were not good enough soft group stage a decent win against a good team Senegal then a different class in France ( ref was awful btw) as to Southgate never been impressed but no obvious replacement should he go other than Howe or Potter.
    Feel for Kane a great servant to both club and country who will most probably when his career finishes end up trophyless.
    As an aside i would love to see Morocco win it they have beaten some decent opposition to get where they are.
    As a lifelong Morocco fan I'd love to see the Atlas Eagles prevail

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Maguire got one late on, another poor decision from the ref.

The ref was poor throughout but England seemed to suffer more from his poor decisions.
    … after 2 penalties for England?
    French pundits are saying F won despite the ref.
    It’s all about perception. Maybe if E players were not so prone to falling down at the lightest touch, genuine irregular contacts would be punished more seriously.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s all about perception. Maybe if E players were not so prone to falling down at the lightest touch, genuine irregular contacts would be punished more seriously.
    I do agree France deserved the win, but massively disappointed to be out of the tournament.

But the old falling over thing - people need to realise it's part of the game, taught and practiced.

On French media, the Sun's taunt is backfiring spectacularly

There. It needed to be said. I don't follow football, haven't watched a single game (and won't), and do not support any team. But I do enjoy a little Schadenfreude when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    As a lifelong Morocco fan I'd love to see the Atlas Eagles prevail
    Very good

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I do agree France deserved the win, but massively disappointed to be out of the tournament.

But the old falling over thing - people need to realise it's part of the game, taught and practiced.
    But I didn't see nearly as much of it from the French last night, so taught/practiced or not, for me the better team won fair and square, their first goal especially was excellent...England ONLY managed to score 1 penalty.

Master
    France lose Karim Benzema before the finals and aren’t particularly missing him. Olivier Giroud is 36 now but still a damn nightmare to defend against and still a goal scoring machine. Plus he has magnificent hair😉

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    But I didn't see nearly as much of it from the French last night, so taught/practiced or not, for me the better team won fair and square, their first goal especially was excellent...England ONLY managed to score 1 penalty.
    French played dirtier, so you obviously wouldn't see them fall over as much.

And France ONLY managed one more goal.

Jesus.

2 penalties that were absolutely nailed on and the ref only gave one of them, Var had to intervene for the 2nd (which was so obvious).

The referee was terrible and although it wasn't all one sided the key mistakes went against England.

France were also dirty and cynical and didn't get punished enough for that.

The referee was one factor in France's victory, but I can also accept that France were just better in the key decisive moments.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 11th December 2022 at 16:23.

Jesus.
    Isn’t that the general idea of the game ?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The media clamour to keep Southgate at the helm is baffling . He is the single biggest reason this squad hasn’t won any trophies .
    A better manager wins the World Cup with the players available. I don’t think there was any individual player that didn’t perform but Southgate’s tactics and refusal to bend were frustrating . Players like Maddison, Grealish, Callum Wilson etc were woefully underused . The decision to play Henderson , Rice and Bellingham together might work against a weakened Senegal , but a French side like last nights will always find ways to bypass that . Again, that’s not calling any of them out, just the manager’s stubbornness.
    All the talk before of Mbappe v Wslker was baffling too . It almost became an obsession with some in the English media , then onto the squad , whereas France simply switched tactics to utilise Griezmann, Tchoumanei (sp) and Rabiot to play through .
    Plucky losers …………….again
    Agree with a lot of that however it’s a bit of a stretch to say with a different manager you win the World Cup.

Isn’t that the general idea of the game ?
    Think you need to read one more sentence in one or mosts posts to follow the flow.

I was being sarcastic at the French fan.

We lost. France beat us. Still don't see the reason for all the rage, apart from the horrible Jocks of course.

Jesus.
    HE SAVES, unlike the England keeper, lolz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    2 penalties that were absolutely nailed on and the ref only gave one of them, Var had to intervene for the 2nd (which was so obvious).

The referee was terrible and although it wasn't all one sided the key mistakes went against England.
    The pen was so obvious I thought the ref was checking VAR to see if there was a reason he could get away with not giving it.

Think you need to read one more sentence in one or mosts posts to follow the flow.

We lost. France beat us. Still don't see the reason for all the rage, apart from the horrible Jocks of course.
    Speaking of reading one more sentence…

I don't follow football, haven't watched a single game (and won't), and do not support any team. But I do enjoy a little Schadenfreude when I get a chance.
    It therefore deserves another repeat :

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Southgate is there one reason only, for National team success.

He failed miserably. Sod the nice culture and young and promising team.

He failed. Full stop.

Next.
    Name the last English manager to get to a euros final

Speaking of reading one more sentence…
    I'd stick to topics you may have some clue about then.

(No photo added for drama)

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    With no outstanding teams in this years WC and many of the superstars aging and past their best you have to feel that this was a real chance for England to go all the way.
    Imho I think France are an outstanding team

Jesus.
    Lmao

France's man of the match ;]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'd stick to topics you may have some clue about then.

(No photo added for drama)
    I’ll do how I please thank you very much. And from what you’ve posted I haven’t seen any major indication you knew much more than I did on football yet it doesn’t seem to stop you.

2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Rage from the jocks? Do these look like rage emojis to you

The only rage is coming from your bitterness. Go have a lie down child.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 11th December 2022 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Agree with a lot of that however it’s a bit of a stretch to say with a different manager you win the World Cup.
    Sorry, can’t agree.
    That England squad was the best in the tournament but it was obvious that the manager only had a plan for maybe 17 or 18 of them .
    A good manager would’ve utilized Maddison, Wilson etc. Instead, he resorted to type by throwing on Sterling , who, in the circumstances might not have been the better option. He will point to his substitutions , Saka and Foden ,and probably say they were tired after their exertions. What he will miss though, is that the two of them should’ve been used in different roles . Foden is not a left winger and to keep him there was a really bad choice, nullifying Englands best option for breaking the French down. Saka was bullied all game and Southgate did very little to protect him.
    Kane dropping into his own half for the ball is an insult.
    Henderson and Rice should only ever be on the same pitch when West Ham play Liverpool.
    Again, the issue will be ignored because England ‘ nearly’ did well . This team/squad should be ripping it up .

I thought England played as well as they could which includes large parts of the first half of pointless side and back passing …. Especially Shaw to Maguire. Maguire may be ok, but he has either the skill or vision to play any pass other than the easiest available, which often puts the receiver under pressure

I also thought that France didn’t need to get out of second gear. So IF Harry had scored the penalty I could not see anything other than a France win

I am undecided about Southgate. An honest and politically astute fellow. And maybe you need that steadiness. But then he makes decisions such as bringing Sterling on last night that just do make you wonder.

A general observation of the WC - the standard of football is well below what we are now used to in the Premiership. We are saturated with quality footy on TV if I recall 1978 - when I was 10 - it was exciting as you saw world class players you never normally saw. For me, the WC is no longer elite football and winning it is not about the best quality but about the best tactics. Hence Southgate played a percentage game and we always had a chance as opposed to failing in group stages due to some adrenalin fuelled mistakes

The real football is here.

Back to business

Sorry, can’t agree.
    That England squad was the best in the tournament but it was obvious that the manager only had a plan for maybe 17 or 18 of them .
    A good manager would’ve utilized Maddison, Wilson etc. Instead, he resorted to type by throwing on Sterling , who, in the circumstances might not have been the better option. He will point to his substitutions , Saka and Foden ,and probably say they were tired after their exertions. What he will miss though, is that the two of them should’ve been used in different roles . Foden is not a left winger and to keep him there was a really bad choice, nullifying Englands best option for breaking the French down. Saka was bullied all game and Southgate did very little to protect him.
    Kane dropping into his own half for the ball is an insult.
    Henderson and Rice should only ever be on the same pitch when West Ham play Liverpool.
    Again, the issue will be ignored because England ‘ nearly’ did well . This team/squad should be ripping it up .
    Whether they were the best squad in the tournament is 100% subjective. Nations league form was utterly woeful and club form is not international form. Other than the opening game I saw no world class performances from any of them. Don’t get me wrong they looked decent but you can’t lay it all on the manager - sometimes players on the pitch need to micro manage things themselves and they failed to do so. It’s been mentioned before but at times they looked short of ideas. We will never know if a different manager would have got a different level of performance/result out of this crop of talent but I see no way you can say with certainty that they would definitely have won the cup. Nothing is certain in football except Scotland not being there

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    A general observation of the WC - the standard of football is well below what we are now used to in the Premiership. We are saturated with quality footy on TV if I recall 1978 - when I was 10 - it was exciting as you saw world class players you never normally saw. For me, the WC is no longer elite football and winning it is not about the best quality but about the best tactics. Hence Southgate played a percentage game and we always had a chance as opposed to failing in group stages due to some adrenalin fuelled mistakes

It's an interesting observation and likely due to the financial abilities of the top clubs to attract the best players from anywhere in the world whilst national teams have a much more limited pool of players to choose from. National teams also only have a limited time with their squads too.

In terms of excitement and staus though the World Cup is unparalleled in sport as demonstrated by the events of the last few weeks.

And to me a World Cup match between 2 top nations will always be exponentially more important than Saudi Blank Cheque Book United vs UAE Sports Washing IX

Sarina Wiegman, oh and she won it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah dam it she’s not English.

I see riot police deployed in Paris as the Moroccans took to the streets in their thousands to celebrate their win over Portugal. I hope the semi final between Morocco and France sees calm return but I fear the worst for Paris that night.

Master
    Blog Entries

You’re just too easily wound up. Lots of laughter going your way, lots and lots.

It’s a game FFS. England lost. France won. Get over it. And this is a watch forum, timepieces that is.

Jim

Craftsman
    I see riot police deployed in Paris as the Moroccans took to the streets in their thousands to celebrate their win over Portugal. I hope the semi final between Morocco and France sees calm return but I fear the worst for Paris that night.
    It’ll be a powder keg whoever loses

The Euro final was the first major tournament final for England since 1966. And the second overall.

Brazil, Germany, Argentina have been in God knows how many finals since 1966 (Euro & Copa America). Italy won two Cups. Argentina has won many U21 and Olympic golds...

As an outsider (because my country only made it to its first major tournament recently) I feel like Brits somehow visualize that England is up there among these other big football nations.

They're not. And I don't want to sound like an asshole when I'm saying this.

To be fair most of us Brit’s don’t think England deserve to win everything, we know there are better teams (team being the word) it’s the media that does that.

This was the best English team I've seen. They played great in all of their games and could have won the Cup.

Kane's penalty in, McGuire's header in or Rashford's free kick in and everything could have been different yesterday.

You also need some luck to win the Cup. England didn't have it yesterday.

But this team had the potential to win it (for the first time since 1990), imho.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post

France were also dirty and cynical and didn't get punished enough for that.

The referee was one factor in France's victory, but I can also accept that France were just better in the key decisive moments.
    I wouldn’t disagree with a word of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    The Euro final was the first major tournament final for England since 1966. And the second overall.

Brazil, Germany, Argentina have been in God knows how many finals since 1966 (Euro & Copa America). Italy won two Cups. Argentina has won many U21 and Olympic golds...

As an outsider (because my country only made it to its first major tournament recently) I feel like Brits somehow visualize that England is up there among these other big football nations.

They're not. And I don't want to sound like an asshole when I'm saying this.
    On that note in our mind we imagine a great footballing rivalry with Germany. It is very one sided - the Germans don't view said rivalry in anything like the same way. Funnily enough the USA do - they imagine the football rivalry between them and England in the same way England imagines it between England and Germany!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    On that note in our mind we imagine a great footballing rivalry with Germany. It is very one sided - the Germans don't view said rivalry in anything like the same way. Funnily enough the USA do - they imagine the football rivalry between them and England in the same way England imagines it between England and Germany!
    B/S.

The rivalry with England is the dearest the Germans have. There only other one coming close is Holland.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    B/S.

The rivalry with England is the dearest the Germans have. There only other one coming close is Holland.
    Definitely likewise, good healthy rivalry