closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Looks like Ghana have given up?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Ivory Coast are terrible

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    1st 35 mins Saka nearly gave a goal away, lost the ball on numerous occasions and his contribution was passing it backwards. The whole England side looked static. After Henderson's goal it's been the complete opposite but 1st 35 mins was terrible and Senegal could have been 2-0 up
    Have you tried to learn abut football from a book?

I'd finish it if I were you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Have you tried to learn abut football from a book?

I'd finish it if I were you lol.
    Apologies, I don't have the time nor crayons to explain to you. X

1st 35 mins Saka nearly gave a goal away, lost the ball on numerous occasions and his contribution was passing it backwards. The whole England side looked static. After Henderson's goal it's been the complete opposite but 1st 35 mins was terrible and Senegal could have been 2-0 up
    Yes, he was poor. As you say, better after we went one up.

Could of been should have been

At the end of the day, it is the result that counts

3-0

France will be an interesting game for sure.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

What about this Bellingham lad ,the reds will love him

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Don't know but each match he plays at the WC the asking price goes up £20m. Suspect only City, PSG and Newcastle could afford him now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Superb result. Bring on the polish
    Last edited by sprite1275; 4th December 2022 at 21:59.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

He's better off where he is for now, he's getting regular starts.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    🤣 lol

Three Lions against a Rooster next. Doesn't seem like a fair match.

I bet Southgate is already plotting his 5 at the back line up against France. If we fail to turn up for 30 mins, we'll get our arses handed to us on a plate.

Master
    Looking forward to next weekend.

France weren’t great tonight in the opening exchanges. In fact they could have been behind.

Of course high chance England will be out but there is a fighting chance of getting through the tie which would be fantastic.

Master
    I don’t follow football, but can follow easily enough those who support the England team members who play for their own local (or not local!) clubs with a dying passion.

As an outsider it’s amusing given they could be sold at the drop of a hat for the next season.

Bottom line is that tonight was an excellent performance. Everyone played well. I get sick and tired of the negativity. We’re in the last eight of another World Cup with a squad of frightening ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I don’t follow football, but can follow easily enough those who support the England team members who play for their own local (or not local!) clubs with a dying passion.

As an outsider it’s amusing given they could be sold at the drop of a hat for the next season.
    They will all play in Newcastle next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Bottom line is that tonight was an excellent performance. Everyone played well. I get sick and tired of the negativity. We’re in the last eight of another World Cup with a squad of frightening ability.
    Well said

Henderson was very impressive .

He was. His influence is massive.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Henderson was very impressive .

Hoping Sterling recovers OK. Nobody should go through that and the scum who did that to his family should face the harshest punishment.

Matt Lawton

@Lawton_Times

Horrible news about Raheem Sterling. His home was raided by armed invaders while his partner and young children were in the house on Saturday night.

https://twitter.com/lawton_times/sta...FjF6Wk65AJ4wiQ

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    French polish?

Master
    The French? Nothing to worry about. Keep Mbappe quiet and there’s not much to fear. Looking forward to seeing Kyle Walker in a race with Mbappe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    The French? Nothing to worry about. Keep Mbappe quiet and there’s not much to fear. Looking forward to seeing Kyle Walker in a race with Mbappe.

It's a 50/50 match for me. We look vulnerable on the counter against pace and so do they.

Master
    It's a 50/50 match for me. We look vulnerable on the counter against pace and so do they.
    Maguire vs Giroud might be interesting too. Both turn like oil tankers and both great in the air.

They won’t be looking forward to the game. We’ve enough to beat them. Key for me is us taking the lead not having to come from behind

Master
    Maguire vs Giroud might be interesting too. Both turn like oil tankers and both great in the air.

They won’t be looking forward to the game. We’ve enough to beat them. Key for me is us taking the lead not having to come from behind

Agreed
    If France score first and England have to press then they could get cut through on the counter.
    France are favourites but wouldn't be surprised to see England prevail.

Craftsman

Giroud now France all time goal scorer.
    Very underrated as a player.
    Its a big test for our defence.

Again, didn’t see the game yesterday but seeing some of the comments here about we have to score first against France, yep it’s obvious they do but if they do score first then just hope they do not do what they did against Croatia and Italy in the semi and final, they just drop deeper and deeper allowing the opponent into them until they concede then go on to lose…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Again, didn’t see the game yesterday but seeing some of the comments here about we have to score first against France, yep it’s obvious they do but if they do score first then just hope they do not do what they did against Croatia and Italy in the semi and final, they just drop deeper and deeper allowing the opponent into them until they concede then go on to lose…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good point. We'd need more than one goal to beat France so sitting on an early lead would be fatal.

Master

2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Duplicate
    Last edited by joe narvey; 5th December 2022 at 12:35. Reason: Duplicate story

From a French newspaper - translates as 'ready to eat Lion'

I guess a suitable riposte from our side would be 'ready to eat cock'

Take out Mbappe and not many of the French would get into this England team. Their defence is just as suspect as ours and we have more weapons. All their goals have come from 3 players, ours is like 8 or 9?

I wonder if Southgate will man-mark Mbappe or go with 3 at the back.

Weak link #1 is Harry Maguire. He's a total liability with anything that isn't a header.

Weak link #2. Never rated Walker in the slightest and he's done nothing to change my view in this world cup. He's not fast (and he won't see which way Mbappe has gone) and gets far too physical if he doesn't make the first tackle work.

I agree that outside of 2/3 players that France are not all that but those same 2/3 players (we all know who!) can tear our defence apart if they don't snuff them out from the start. And agree again that it's vital we score first and continue to build on that as we have done in the games so far once we have got our nose ahead. Our finishing has been clinical and throughout the team sheet so that needs to continue on Saturday night.

Fragility of our defence was, for me, shown last night by how often they passed it back/between to each each with no one prepared to run forward at the opposition in the slightest. That was epecially true in the dreary first 35 minutes that had shades of the US game until Foden and Henderson opened up the game for England.

I think if we can get past France all bets are off and we have as good chance as anyone else in the tournament.

I'll admit that I've doubted Southgate at times but given how poor England's record is in major tournaments since 1966 (except those held in England) he deserves huge praise for the following:

- getting players to perform better for England than they do for their clubs (when did that last happen?!).
    - installing a great team ethic and winning mentality.
    - Burying some of the ghosts of the past (for example winning a penalty shoot out, winning knock out games, beating Germany, reaching a final).
    - hitting peak form in tournaments not in qualifiers and meaningless friendlies.
    - Beating the teams we're expected to beat and often in style (how many times in the past have we seen England struggling against supposedly weaker opposition?).
    - a prolific attack and miserly defence. 11 goals scored to 2 conceaded in Euro 21 and 12 scored and 2 conceaded so far this World Cup.

Of course he has benefited from a flood of young talent coming through and a strength in depth in certain areas that hasn't been seen before in an England squad. Previous managers have failed miserably with talented squads though and Southgate still has to overcome weakness in some key positions.

England now have to prove they are not just flat track bullies and defeat a top team in a knock out game on foreign soil for the first time. In the past we've sometimes been unlucky, sometimes cheated but often outclassed in these situations.

We can't just rely on a favourable draw to reach the later stages of tournaments like we did in 1990, 2018 and (partly) 2021. To have a chance of winning a major tournament England have got to start beating the best teams.

Saturdays game will show either how far this Engalnd team have come or how far away they still are.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 5th December 2022 at 13:54.

Craftsman
    At both previous tournaments Southgates been in charge, England have only played one team where England weren’t favourites, Belgium group stage 2018 and Belgium won.
    Every other game they have played England have been favourites. Croatia put them out in 2018 and Italy beat them in 2021.
    France are heavy favourites Saturday, with England at 21/10 with bet 365, that is a big price for a football match. I hope they are wrong but you don’t come across many poor bookies.

Hoping Sterling recovers OK. Nobody should go through that and the scum who did that to his family should face the harshest punishment.
    Surrey Police said no-one was at home at the time and no threats of violence were involved
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-63858882

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    not many of the French would get into this England team.
    On a French forum there will likewise be an arrogant Frenchman with the opposite view.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Matt Lawton

@Lawton_Times

Horrible news about Raheem Sterling. His home was raided by armed invaders while his partner and young children were in the house on Saturday night.

https://twitter.com/lawton_times/sta...FjF6Wk65AJ4wiQ
    News at lunchtime today seems unsure about this reporting.

I think England will struggle against France. If England score first they will simply try to hang onto it for 90 mins. France scoring first will force them to play and make an infinitely better game. Personally I'd like to see a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Weak link #1 is Harry Maguire. He's a total liability with anything that isn't a header.

Weak link #2. Never rated Walker in the slightest and he's done nothing to change my view in this world cup. He's not fast (and he won't see which way Mbappe has gone) and gets far too physical if he doesn't make the first tackle work.

I agree that outside of 2/3 players that France are not all that but those same 2/3 players (we all know who!) can tear our defence apart if they don't snuff them out from the start. And agree again that it's vital we score first and continue to build on that as we have done in the games so far once we have got our nose ahead. Our finishing has been clinical and throughout the team sheet so that needs to continue on Saturday night.

Fragility of our defence was, for me, shown last night by how often they passed it back/between to each each with no one prepared to run forward at the opposition in the slightest. That was epecially true in the dreary first 35 minutes that had shades of the US game until Foden and Henderson opened up the game for England.

I think if we can get past France all bets are off and we have as good chance as anyone else in the tournament.
    Walker is coming back from a serious injury / operation and it was touch and go as to whether he would be fit enough. Take it from me, he is very underrated and has been a mainstay of our success since he came to city. He has won many people over who didn’t rate him when we got him and you won’t find any city supporters criticising this lad. He is less fashionable than Reece James and Trent, but I would have a fit walker over those two any day of the week. Having said that I have a feeling that Reece James will become world class in a year or so. Trent should be in midfield. He is that good attacking wise.

Could go either way, just hope he plays Saka and Foden again. France should win really, as the England back 4 will struggle with the French attacking players.

Sterling heading home is a blessing in disguise as he would have started yesterday and he is way below the standard of Foden and Saka.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Could go either way, just hope he plays Saka and Foden again. France should win really, as the England back 4 will struggle with the French attacking players.

Sterling heading home is a blessing in disguise as he would have started yesterday and he is way below the standard of Foden and Saka.
    The French back 4 is almost as woeful as ours - Varane isn't fully fit and they're playing him....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think we are so used to an England who don't believe they can win and so desperately try to hold on to what they've got that we (or at least I) forget that this England team are capable of carrying on chasing a game with passion, coherence and flair even when they are ahead against difficult opponents. France are, without doubt, the hardest team for them to get past if we don't factor in temperatures, but in an environment where using all your subs can make a bigger difference than usual, England have a deeper choice of quality than France, and that could make a difference. However, if we should win this match then we are in with the best chance in a couple of generations to win the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    To have a chance of winning a major tournament England have got to start beating the best teams.

Saturdays game will show either how far this Engalnd team have come or how far away they still are.
    Can't argue with either of those comments. Your logic is flawless! Also, don't forget it's a game of two halves.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I think England will struggle against France. If England score first they will simply try to hang onto it for 90 mins. France scoring first will force them to play and make an infinitely better game. Personally I'd like to see a great game.
    I think any team left in the tournament will struggle against France. Doesn't mean you can't beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Can't argue with either of those comments. Your logic is flawless! Also, don't forget it's a game of two halves.

It may seem obvious but the point I'm making is that England haven't ever (or at least post 66) defeated a top team in the knock out phase of a World Cup or European Championship on foreign soil. People forget that.

There's a lot of focus on we got to a final, semi final etc, but we got there without playing the best teams. This time we can't rely on an easy draw to progress.

Blog Entries
    Japan. Even worse than England with penalties !

z
    Last edited by zelig; 5th December 2022 at 18:46.

Craftsman
    Brazil have woke up!

Question

How on earth was that a penalty?! Aside from the usual Brazil “I’ve been shot from the grassy knoll” theatrics?