closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coffee grinders

Master
    Blog Entries

Coffee grinders

I am about to buy an espresso machine and need a grinder to go with it. I will be grinding for espresso and aero press. I do t want to spend mad money but looking at deals and basic reviews (don’t want to get sucked into a coffee forum). This sage smart pro gets a decent review and seems reasonable with vouchers at circa £140

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en...rs/bcg820.html

With Black Friday inbound is there anything else I should be looking at.

I've had this exact machine for around 2 years and it has performed faultlessly.

It's infinitely adjustable and nicely made, comes apart readily for a good clean.
    You will need an 8mm socket or spanner to remove the lower burr grinder to clean that.

My only gripe is I paid the full price for it, at which I was more than pleased, so at that price there's nothing not to like.

Brian

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks that’s good to know. It’s in my list then unless Black Friday brings up any more deals

See also today's post in this thread...link.

Master
    Your other option is a hand grinder depending on the quantity and frequency of use. Typically a hand grinder at a price point will be better quality than the electric. Get a decent one and you will probably be set. 1zepresso make some good models around that price point. Some favour espresso use over filter and visa versa so check which will have the most use as that make in particular makes a lot of similar sounding grinders. I personally now use a 1Zpresso K-Max which is really good for filter and does a good-very good job for espresso. Which is down to the adjustment steps. It takes me 25 secs for a filter grind and about 45 for an espresso and it is a very nice tactile experience if that is a factor.

I’d probably get one secondhand from eBay or facebook marketplace. I’ve seen Eureka Zenith’s go for not much more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Your other option is a hand grinder depending on the quantity and frequency of use. Typically a hand grinder at a price point will be better quality than the electric. Get a decent one and you will probably be set. 1zepresso make some good models around that price point. Some favour espresso use over filter and visa versa so check which will have the most use as that make in particular makes a lot of similar sounding grinders. I personally now use a 1Zpresso K-Max which is really good for filter and does a good-very good job for espresso. Which is down to the adjustment steps. It takes me 25 secs for a filter grind and about 45 for an espresso and it is a very nice tactile experience if that is a factor.
    I use a hand grind every day - a Feldgrind by Knock. They are made in Scotland and seem to be only available in small batches. I've had mine for a couple of years to grind for espresso every morning. It's a bit of an arm work out and I agree it takes about 45 secs to grind. The only down side is that it's pain if you want to make multiple brews and because of that I too am looking at maybe getting a Sage and keep my Feldgrind for camping.

There's a couple of Feldgrind for sale on eBay at the moment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The fieldgrind look really good, time wise though I fancy an electric, I really don’t want to get into this a full hobby.

I have that one too. It’s never missed a beat. You can save different grind times for different numbers of cups so you can get just the right amount of coffee. I use it for Aeropress, Picopresso, cold brew with a Hario, on the hob with my Bialettis and with my Sage Duo Temp Pro.

Master
    I have a Eureka Specialita, would highly recommend it.

I have a 1Zpresso JX pro. It's a little over budget, the standard JX is about £140, but I do not believe it is worth scrimping. Mine was £175. I do use the fine adjustment of the JX-pro to get the correct grind. The JX-pro takes 30 to 40 seconds to grind a double shot, it's quiet and it is not hard work.

You absolutely will not get a consistently good espresso from an electric grinder at this price point. They do not have enough adjustment and the burrs and bearings are not of high enough quality. You will find that they produce a grind of varying size. There will be a mix of big lumps and tiny grains.

It's not really about coffee as a hobby, it's about not feeding your espresso machine with a grind so poor that you'll never get a decent espresso. You'll be stuck using a pressurised basket and you won't see much improvement over shop groundbeans.

You also mentioned an Aeropresso. These are not much more than fancy cafetierres. An espresso machine uses 9 bar, the Aeropresso manages about 1 bar. I know it's more money, but for a portable machine take a look at Wacaco. I have a Picopresso, it is slow to use but it makes an absolutely banging espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I have a 1Zpresso JX pro. It's a little over budget, the standard JX is about £140, but I do not believe it is worth scrimping. Mine was £175. I do use the fine adjustment of the JX-pro to get the correct grind.

You absolutely will not get a consistently good espresso from an electric grinder at this price point. They do not have enough adjustment and the burrs and bearings are not of high enough quality. You will find that they produce a grind of varying size. There will be a mix of big lumps and tiny grains.

It's not really about coffee as a hobby, it's about not feeding your espresso machine with a grind so poor that you'll never get a decent espresso. You'll be stuck using a pressurised basket and you won't see much improvement over shop groundbeans.

You also mentioned an Aeropresso. These are not much more than fancy cafetierres. An espresso machine uses 9 bar, the Aeropresso manages about 1 bar. I know it's more money, but for a portable machine take a look at Wacaco. I have a Picopresso, it is slow to use but it makes an absolutely banging espresso.
    I agree with what you've said. I'm by no means a coffee snob - I'll happily drink cheap instant for convenience. But I also do appreciate a good coffee...and for a consistently good coffee you need a proper grinder and espresso machine. I'm currently using a Eureka Zenth 65 and a La Pavoni. I realise I don't get a perfect shot every time but I've spent very little on my secondhand set up.

Totally agree about the aeropress. I'd seen so many people raving about them. Yes, they are very convenient and easy to wash but they definitely produce a caffetiere coffee!

Craftsman

Coffee grinders

For the money, a Niche Zero is great. That said, it requires you to single dose and that’s maybe too much effort for you.

Gains are also lost a bit if you drink milk based drinks, I drink light roast espresso so really notice the difference a good grinder makes. Above a grinder like the Niche Zero, gains are diminishing for £ spent.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    For the money, a Niche Zero is great. That said, it requires you to single dose and that’s maybe too much effort for you.

Gains are also lost a bit if you drink milk based drinks, I drink light roast espresso so really notice the difference a good grinder makes. Above a grinder like the Niche Zero, gains are diminishing for £ spent.

They're £500, so certainly not for the money of OP's budget.

Master
    The grinder is more important than the espresso machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They're £500, so certainly not for the money of OP's budget.
    I’ve just picked up one for £350. Agreed, it’s more money than than the sage, but, it’s a million miles apart in terms of capability.

I have a Porlex Tall hand grinder. Ceramic burrs and good control over fineness (if that’s a word!).

Perfect for my use as the only coffee drinker in the house. Quite an enjoyable process to use I find.

Pretty sure I paid around £85 but they seem to be more like £60-70 now.

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I’ve just picked up one for £350. Agreed, it’s more money than than the sage, but, it’s a million miles apart in terms of capability.

Well still >2x budget but isn't that always the way on TZ.

Have one myself though and agree, a very good grinder!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all might have a look at some used items in the bay

You absolutely will not get a consistently good espresso from an electric grinder at this price point. They do not have enough adjustment and the burrs and bearings are not of high enough quality. You will find that they produce a grind of varying size. There will be a mix of big lumps and tiny grains
    This is not my experience with the Smart Grinder Pro. It is very consistent in its grind and I can happily use it to make espresso with the normal portafilter in my Duo Temp Pro. Have you tried coffee from this grinder? I’ve been using it for more than 2 years and have been very happy with the results from the beans I get from Pact and Small Batch.

I have both an Aeropress and a Picopresso. They make different types of coffee. The Aeropress is not trying to make espresso. It is its own type of coffee, closer to a pour over or French press than an espresso. The pressure makes no difference to the taste, its just not an espresso. The Picopresso makes an excellent espresso and does take effort to use. I use both at work but more often use the Aeropress as it is easy to use and clean and makes a fantastic mug of coffee.

Probably over budget, but Comandante C40 hand grinder may be worth a look.

I get good espresso from mine, although I did feel the need to buy the 'red clix' axle for finer adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This is not my experience with the Smart Grinder Pro. It is very consistent in its grind and I can happily use it to make espresso with the normal portafilter in my Duo Temp Pro. Have you tried coffee from this grinder? I’ve been using it for more than 2 years and have been very happy with the results from the beans I get from Pact and Small Batch.

I have both an Aeropress and a Picopresso. They make different types of coffee. The Aeropress is not trying to make espresso. It is its own type of coffee, closer to a pour over or French press than an espresso. The pressure makes no difference to the taste, its just not an espresso. The Picopresso makes an excellent espresso and does take effort to use. I use both at work but more often use the Aeropress as it is easy to use and clean and makes a fantastic mug of coffee.
    I can only agree with your comment 100% Phil, like you I also use it in conjunction with my a Duo Temp Pro.
    I've never experienced a lumpy or inconsistent grind in my 2 years of ownership and it's used at least 2/3 times daily.

Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    I can only agree with your comment 100% Phil, like you I also use it in conjunction with my a Duo Temp Pro.
    I've never experienced a lumpy or inconsistent grind in my 2 years of ownership and it's used at least 2/3 times daily.

Brian.
    I had what is essentially the same Grinder in my Sage Oracle, and I would say for the price it’s produces good results. Better with darker roasts than lighter.

A friend has a Eureka Manuale which is great for the money, although they have gone above the £200 mark now.

Cheers

Ross

Master
    Blog Entries

Coffee grinders

Went for this eureka in the end

https://www.dualit.com/products/eure...-grinder/black

Seemed a good deal and prevents upgrades in the future
    Last edited by Middo; 28th November 2022 at 13:00.