closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hive vs Nest plus boiler installation cost question

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    PCB and gas valves, the latter of which are now obsolete (meaning any stock of OEM replacements are stupidly expensive, or it's a question of refurbished or clones). This had implications for both cost and warranty, so - given that the boiler is now 20 years old - I thought replacing rather than throwing money at it was a better option.

As an aside, I was wrong when I thought it had been firing - it hadn't. The pilot light was on but it was continuously sparking anyway and there was no gas supply to ignite.
    Yeah, I used a refurb control module for an older boiler, but any more than that- I’d be looking at full boiler renewal.

I couldn’t see how the diverter valve(s) could be faulty as the boiler was getting a firing demand, but also that the heat from the boiler didn’t appear to be going anywhere.

Hence my advice that the boiler wasn’t actually firing, just ‘trying’ to fire.

New boiler will be more efficient and will see you out probably.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yeah, I used a refurb control module for an older boiler, but any more than that- I’d be looking at full boiler renewal.

I couldn’t see how the diverter valve(s) could be faulty as the boiler was getting a firing demand, but also that the heat from the boiler didn’t appear to be going anywhere.

Hence my advice that the boiler wasn’t actually firing, just ‘trying’ to fire.

New boiler will be more efficient and will see you out probably.
    Yes. your instincts were absolutely correct, and that's what I'm hoping, too (in a good way!).

Winter’s coming, how do I know? Because the Nest thermostat is suddenly losing it’s wireless connection to it’s boiler controller!

Nest’s support team simply say ‘oh it’s your WiFi network that’s at fault’ even though Nest uses it’s own network that’s separate from the WiFI

Annoying as it doesn’t turn on the heating when it faults, even though it reconnects when you press the ‘retry connection’ option on the thermostat.

I know it’s not just me as I’m aware of many colleagues that also have the issue.

Well, a quick update. Had the new boiler installed on Thursday (with the Vaillant Protector Kit fitted on the return pipe in the under stairs cupboard). I went with the Hive system in the end, primarily because I didn’t want to be constrained by having to plug in the thermostat. Everything was set up perfectly and I’m very happy with it, and with the extra control it gives me compared to the traditional panel and analogue thermostat I had before.

My plumber then came round on Friday to do the residual work, and we’ve decided that we may as well give the system a Powerflush too as the water was looking dirtier than we were happy with. He’s going to pop some cleaner in tomorrow, and then do the Powerflush with the remaining plumbing works on Thursday. (The company that installed the boiler supposedly flushed everything but whatever they did was of limited value.)

All in all its cost me the IWC I was planning on buying this month, but needs must.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th November 2022 at 09:43.

Was a power flush offered before but you refused? Wondering why a flush wasn't agreed on previously.

I always thought a power flush was the default for new rads or boiler?

Hive vs Nest plus boiler installation cost question

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Was a power flush offered before but you refused? Wondering why a flush wasn't agreed on previously.

I always thought a power flush was the default for new rads or boiler?
    No, it wasn’t refused. I think it was an error on my part in not pinning them down on it.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, and in this case an additional cost.

No, it wasn’t refused. I think it was an error on my part in not pinning them down on it.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, and in this case an additional cost.
    You're doing the right thing power flushing. You won't see any benefits directly but it's 100% the right thing to do.

Blog Entries
    Well, a quick update. Had the new boiler installed on Thursday (with the Vaillant Protector Kit fitted on the return pipe in the under stairs cupboard). I went with the Hive system in the end, primarily because I didn’t want to be constrained by having to plug in the thermostat. Everything was set up perfectly and I’m very happy with it, and with the extra control it gives me compared to the traditional panel and analogue thermostat I had before.

My plumber then came round on Friday to do the residual work, and we’ve decided that we may as well give the system a Powerflush too as the water was looking dirtier than we were happy with. He’s going to pop some cleaner in tomorrow, and then do the Powerflush with the remaining plumbing works on Thursday. (The company that installed the boiler supposedly flushed everything but whatever they did was of limited value.)

All in all its cost me the IWC I was planning on buying this month, but needs must.
    Just make sure you get a maganclean (or equivalent) fitted….

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just make sure you get a maganclean (or equivalent) fitted….
    That’s what the protection kit is.

Blog Entries
    That’s what the protection kit is.
    Cool!

Much of a muchness re Nest Vs Hive, especially if you control it via a smart assistant anyway.

I wouldn't have it in the wall unless you have to. Mine is only in the wall as it's hiding the hole where the last one was. In the last house it was just on a stand plugged in like a phone via USB. **I don't see any reason why a thermostat was ever in a hallway.

Don't expect savings, just convenience.

Install costs don't matter, it's just a one off. Unless the difference is brutal I wouldn't have that as a consideration at all.
    Just returned to this thread as I was hoping to get a bit of narrowing down to a smart system which initially is only required to operate remotely from iphone.

My lifestyle doesn't warrant smart thermostats everywhere- just the ability to set a timer for HW and CH which can be modified via the phone and remote-switch on/off when I am an hour away from home.

** The reason why traditional systems had thermostat in hall - was that is what was deemed to be the coolest space in the house, so once it was up to temp - it shut the boiler down. It was crude, but worked after a fashion.

Just returned to this thread as I was hoping to get a bit of narrowing down to a smart system which initially is only required to operate remotely from iphone.

My lifestyle doesn't warrant smart thermostats everywhere- just the ability to set a timer for HW and CH which can be modified via the phone and remote-switch on/off when I am an hour away from home.

** The reason why traditional systems had thermostat in hall - was that is what was deemed to be the coolest space in the house, so once it was up to temp - it shut the boiler down. It was crude, but worked after a fashion.
    Makes sense back then but bringing in the shopping and then wondering why the house is boiling used to always annoy me. Few gusts of wind and the heating system would go into full swing.

I think the thermostat should really be in the room you're in the most.

Seems to be that Hive would be spot on for you. The Thermostat can go anywhere you like, and it's not a bad-looking thing anyway.

Seems to be that Hive would be spot on for you. The Thermostat can go anywhere you like, and it's not a bad-looking thing anyway.

Thanks! Looks like what was in the AirBnB I was in last week.

I'll investigate more

FWIW any of them can go where you like.

FWIW any of them can go where you like.

Is that in the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is that in the fridge?
    Stolen off Google. Mine is stuck on the wall as it needed to be put in when we were gutting the house and didn't have WiFi yet.

Had it on the TV stand in the last house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Winter’s coming, how do I know? Because the Nest thermostat is suddenly losing it’s wireless connection to it’s boiler controller!

Nest’s support team simply say ‘oh it’s your WiFi network that’s at fault’ even though Nest uses it’s own network that’s separate from the WiFI

Annoying as it doesn’t turn on the heating when it faults, even though it reconnects when you press the ‘retry connection’ option on the thermostat.

I know it’s not just me as I’m aware of many colleagues that also have the issue.
    That's one problem I haven't had with my Nest, why they are so popular is a mystery to me, the geolocation home/away thing doesn't work, the heating fires up when I'm in my shorts if left to it own devices, support is crap, they just advise you to reset it when you eventually get a response, I just set up a schedule as normal.