closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artemis 1 due to launch 16 November at 01:04 EST (06:04 UTC, 06:04am UK time)

Blog Entries

Artemis 1 due to launch 16 November at 01:04 EST (06:04 UTC, 06:04am UK time)

Previous thread: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...7-BST-UK-time)

After a series of delays (most recently Hurricane Nicole), Artemis 1 should finally launch on 16 November at 01:04 EST or 06:04 UTC, that is 06:04am UK time. There is a two hour window within which launch may take place.

Most recent NASA Artemis 1 blog here (dated 11/11/2022): https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...aunch-attempt/
    Extract:
    Space Launch System engineers have performed detailed analysis to confirm the sustained and peak winds experienced during the storm have no adverse effect on the structural strength of the rocket. While varying peak winds were measured by sensors at different heights at the pad, all measurements remained below 75% of SLS design limits, which also are intentionally conservative. Data from testing with actual hardware during the structural test series and modal testing, as well as other evaluations and modeling, provide confidence there is margin beyond the design ratings.

Technicians also are working to fix several minor items from the storm. Most repairs involve loose caulk or weather coverings. An umbilical used to provide purge air, or proper environmental conditions to the Orion spacecraft, was out of position. The umbilical maintained purge throughout the storm and has been repositioned to allow proper retraction at liftoff. Engineers have also removed the hard cover over the launch abort system window installed before the storm and will inspect the window to confirm it is in good condition for launch.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th November 2022 at 22:32.

If you click the three lines on this page and then “track the mission” it’ll be a tracker for the whole mission. (In case you were wondering….) I assume it’ll start working after launch.

Can’t wait for some super high res pictures of the blue marble for far far away.

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis-i/#top

Looks like it’s going to launch in the morning.

Set my alarm for 05.50.

Most powerful rocket ever built. Going back to the moon. Fantastic!! 🤓

They’re currently filling the tanks.

https://youtu.be/nVHLXYHT_P0

Master
    How much can I expect to see without a telescope / bins?

Literally no idea on this, so sorry for the noob question, but feels like I should be watching!

Blog Entries
    Just listening to the fuelling narration at https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...ex.html#public. Right now they are discussing that there is in fact hydrogen leakage but it is within expected limits. Interestingly, the reason there is always leakage is because seals don't work perfectly until cooled down (by the liquid hydrogen itself), and then the leaks go away. This seems to be happening as expected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    How much can I expect to see without a telescope / bins?

Literally no idea on this, so sorry for the noob question, but feels like I should be watching!
    You mean to see the Orion capsule in Earth orbit in space before it fires its engine for trans-lunar injection? That's a very good question and I don't know the answer for sure.

In general, it is only possibly for the unaided eye to see satellites in low Earth orbit and only then when they are illuminated by the Sun.

As far as I can tell, Orion is intended to do a single partial orbit of Earth to line it up with the Moon but I am not sure what orbital altitude this will be. As far as I can tell from general reading, it will be immediately boosted after launch to a fairly high orbit. At that point, when lined up, it will fire its engine for trans-lunar injection

When launched from Florida, it will take off and begin the partial orbit in a roughly east-north-easterly direction (I think) which might take it within line of site of some of the UK. But I am NOT SURE about this. Even if within line of site it might be (probably will be) too distant to see.

The space ship will have solar panels and so if the angle is right these could be illuminated by the Sun, making it brighter than would otherwise be the case, but again I am NOT SURE about this.

After the engine fires for trans-lunar injection it will leave Earth orbit and there'll be no chance of seeing it without a massive telescope or by powerful radar.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th November 2022 at 00:20.

Blog Entries
    The launch looks to be on schedule for 06:04 UK time.

This is the latest blog post at https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...-in-fast-fill/
    Rachel Kraft
    Posted on November 15, 2022 11:55 pm

Core Stage Liquid Hydrogen Back in Replenish, Upper Stage in Fast Fill
    Teams are replenishing liquid hydrogen into the core stage and report seeing good data where a red crew tightened connections in the area of a leaky valve on the mobile launcher. The leak is not reoccurring. Engineers are back into liquid hydrogen fast fill operations on the interim cryogenic propulsion stage.

Engineers also are tracking the loss of signal from a radar site required for launch. The Range is in the process of troubleshooting it while launch operations continue.

Blog Entries
    Live video feeds (1 of 2):-

NASA (official)

NASA Video (official)

Blog Entries
    Live video feeds (2 of 2):-

The Launch Pad

NASASpaceflight (not NASA)

Everyday Astronaut

Thanks for sharing Mark. A coincidentally sleepless night so I'm tuned in with fingers crossed. Why has the countdown stopped at 10 minutes - they appear to have fixed the fueling connector?

Actually I've just tuned into the fourth of your links and learned the answer - about to go into "terminal countdown" which commences at 10 minutes and signals full commitment. Actually finding that third party link more interesting than NASAs - which is a succession of promotional videos
    Last edited by Halitosis; 16th November 2022 at 07:00.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Thanks for sharing Mark. A coincidentally sleepless night so I'm tuned in with fingers crossed. Why has the countdown stopped at 10 minutes - they appear to have fixed the fueling connector?
    There are various minor holds ups that need the countdown to be held. As I understand it, there are also 'scheduled holds' where the countdown is stopped for planned work.

Last I heard, the only remaining hold up is loss of a transmitter at a radar tracking site.

As of right now, it seems unlikely that the launch will be at exactly 06:04 but does seem likely to go ahead within today's window (thankfully!).

** update **
    05:53: RSO testing self-destruct. Determining new launch time: Figuring out when will be ready to launch within today's launch window.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th November 2022 at 06:54.

Hopefully it's a go this morning.

As I understand it, there is a 2 hour window from 6 to 8am GMT, during which the 10 minute terminal countdown could start (or not at all should any gremlins occur)

As I understand it, there is a 2 hour window from 6 to 8am GMT, during which the 10 minute terminal countdown could start (or not at all should any gremlins occur)
    It has just been put back 30 minutes, all gremlins are sorted, it was a tracking problem that kept it on the ground after the bolts were tightened.

Blog Entries
    06:12: Latest issue: Some of the service model RTV caulk has come loose. Possible issue with related sensor.

RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizer

** update **
    06:13: No ongoing concern about the loose bits. The trajectory if they come loose in flight won't cause problems.

** update **
    0615: New earliest possible T0 has been set to 01:45 EST or 06:45 UTC.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th November 2022 at 07:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You mean to see the Orion capsule in Earth orbit in space before it fires its engine for trans-lunar injection? That's a very good question and I don't know the answer for sure.

In general, it is only possibly for the unaided eye to see satellites in low Earth orbit and only then when they are illuminated by the Sun.

As far as I can tell, Orion is intended to do a single partial orbit of Earth to line it up with the Moon but I am not sure what orbital altitude this will be. As far as I can tell from general reading, it will be immediately boosted after launch to a fairly high orbit. At that point, when lined up, it will fire its engine for trans-lunar injection

When launched from Florida, it will take off and begin the partial orbit in a roughly east-north-easterly direction (I think) which might take it within line of site of some of the UK. But I am NOT SURE about this. Even if within line of site it might be (probably will be) too distant to see.

The space ship will have solar panels and so if the angle is right these could be illuminated by the Sun, making it brighter than would otherwise be the case, but again I am NOT SURE about this.

After the engine fires for trans-lunar injection it will leave Earth orbit and there'll be no chance of seeing it without a massive telescope or by powerful radar.
    Forgot to reply with everything else going on.

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, appreciated.

Blog Entries
    06:29: Latest update. Just a few minutes work to do before being able to do final poll to give final go for launch.

06:32: About a minute away from final go/no go poll!

06:33: No constraints to launch! I.e. Poll should give a go.

06:35: Final poll for launch right now!

06:36: Go to resume count and launch Artemis 1!

06:37: Countdown clock has now resumed. 10 minutes to launch from 06:37:44.

So lunch due at 06:47:44 UTC.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th November 2022 at 07:38.

Its a go for launch

Blog Entries
    From the NASA Artemis blog:
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...t-for-147-a-m/
    Rachel Kraft
    Posted on November 16, 2022 1:38 am

The mission management team has polled “go” to proceed with the terminal count sequence. The launch director is also “go” and teams have set a new target launch time of 1:47 a.m. EST and the countdown clock resumed at 1:37 a.m.

With approval from the launch director and managers, a series of countdown milestones for the Artemis I terminal count to launch will be initiated by the Ground Launch Sequencer at T-10 minutes:

• Ground Launch Sequencer (GLS) initiates terminal count (T-10M)
    • GLS go for core stage tank pressurization (T-6M)
    • Orion ascent pyros are armed (T-6M)
    • Orion set to internal power (T-6M)
    • Core Stage LH2 terminate replenish (T-5M57S)
    • GLS is go for flight termination system (FTS) arm (T-5M)
    • GLS is go for LH2 high flow bleed check (T-4M40S)
    • GLS is go for core stage auxiliary power unit (APU) start (T-4M)
    • Core Stage auxiliary power unit starts (T-4M)
    • Core stage L0X terminate replenish (T-4M)
    • ICPS LOX terminate replenish (T-3M30S)
    • GLS is go for purge sequence 4 (T-3M10S)
    • ICPS switches to internal battery power (T-1M56S)
    • Core stage switches to internal power (T-1M30S)
    • ICPS enters terminal countdown mode (T-1M20S)
    • ICPS LH2 terminate replenish (T-50S)
    • GLS sends “Go for automated launch sequencer” command (T-33S)
    • Core stage flight computer to automated launching sequencer (T-30S)
    • Hydrogen burn off igniters initiated (T-12S)
    • GLS sends the command for core stage engine start (T-10S)
    • RS-25 engines startup (T-6.36S)

Liftoff (T-0)

• Solid rocket booster separation (Mission Elapsed Time 00:02:12)
    • Service module fairing jettison (MET 00:03:11)
    • Launch abort system jettison (MET 00:03:16)
    • Core stage main engine cutoff commanded (MET 00:08:03)
    • Core stage/ICPS separation (MET 00:08:15)
    • Orion solar array wing deploy begins (MET 00:18:09) – approx. 12 min duration
    • Perigee raise maneuver (MET 00:52:56)
    • Trans-lunar injection (MET 01:29:27)
    • Orion/ICPS separation (MET 01:57:36)

The timing of events after liftoff may vary by a few seconds.

Blog Entries
    And it's on its way...

Master
    Wow, great to watch!

Awesome noise. I was born in the mid 60s and it brings back early memories of watching live launches of the Apollo missions. Goosebumps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow, great to watch!
    Yup, very exciting.

Even though the future is with the private sector, this is still valuable and important. I am glad it has worked well (so far, touching wood).

Blog Entries
    Awesome noise. I was born in the mid 60s and it brings back early memories of watching live launches of the Apollo missions. Goosebumps
    I was born in 71 and as a child I remember that the Apollo missions were still a big deal. I am so so glad that we are, to an extent, returning to those times.

Blog Entries
    06:56: Main engine cut off. And core stage separation. So Orion is now in orbit.

I was born in 71 and as a child I remember that the Apollo missions were still a big deal. I am so so glad that we are, to an extent, returning to those times.
    Precisely the same here. 👍
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Some screenshots I grabbed from one of the live feeds:-

The dot in the lower part of the image is the SLS rocket heading into orbit:

Fabulous!

Well done Nasa.

Got the kids up to see it go. Must have sounded unreal to those lucky enough to be there.

Blog Entries
    07:08: Oh wow, live video from Orion showing it extending its solar arrays!

07:11: The orbit is c.1800km (which is far above low Earth orbit).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th November 2022 at 08:12.

Blog Entries
    Some screenshots of Orion in orbit:-

Remarkably the cylindrical object in the middle upper part of the image is the core stage!

Core stage visible again.

Blog Entries
    07:41: The ICPS engine is firing to boost the orbit, the perigee raise manoeuvre.

07:42: The engine has cut off and was successful. Now ready for trans-lunar injection burn about 30 mins from now.

Blog Entries
    Lastly for now, the TLI burn is underway and I think about half over. This will put Orion on the path to the Moon. After the burn is complete the ICPS will detach, leaving Orion and its service module on its own. After that, it's down hill all the way to the Moon.

For anyone who's interested, there are still live updates from NASA here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLD...b_channel=NASA

That's all from me today.

Master
    Fantastic job keeping this updated. Well done and thank you.

Amateur vid from some friends on the space coast.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1206456502
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Amateur vid from some friends on the space coast.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1206456502
    That's a great video.

I recall that some of the commentators in the video feeds I was watching at the time said that it looked like a small sun and you can clearly see that effect in the early stages of the launch in this video.

This video also shows how getting into orbit is far more about going horizontally really fast (where 'horizontal' means in relation to the surface of the Earth directly below) than it is about going up.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th November 2022 at 19:35.

Cool video.

Two things…..firstly, why didn’t they go out in the car and get up close! And second, I’m surprised it wasn’t really loud from there. Just a feint rumble. I’d have thought you’d hear it 30-50 miles away! Obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Cool video.

Two things…..firstly, why didn’t they go out in the car and get up close! And second, I’m surprised it wasn’t really loud from there. Just a feint rumble. I’d have thought you’d hear it 30-50 miles away! Obviously not.
    It was around 2 o'clock in the morning and people have to be up for work the next day.

Lucky they went into their backyard, my daughter in law was still asleep!

My friend's son and my daughter in law both work in KSC.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    A nice summary with pics by Scott Manley:
    'The BRIGHTEST Rocket Launch In History - SLS Launches Artemis 1'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GmR...el=ScottManley

Here's a few more snaps of rocketry fun my daughter in law sent me.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Stunning photographs.

Jake

Blog Entries
    Here's a few more snaps of rocketry fun my daughter in law sent me.
    Those are absolutely magnificent pics. Thank you once again to you and your daughter in law!

Blog Entries
    The Artemis 1 mission's Orion capsule is has almost reached the Moon already! The Orion capsule will make a powered flyby of the Moon on Monday 21st November.

Live streaming will begin at 07:15 EST on 21/11/22, that's 12:15 UTC, 12:15pm UK time. See https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive for links to stream(s).

The burn is planned for 07:44 EST, 12:44 UTC, 12:44pm UK time.

Orion will lose communications as it passes behind the Moon from 07:25 EST to 07:59 EST, 12:25 UTC to 12:59 UTC, 12:25pm to 12:59pm UK time.

And even Orion suffers from wifi contention issues! See blog extract below.

Artemis blog post extract:
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...powered-flyby/
    Artemis I – Flight Day Four: Testing WiFi Signals, Radiator System, GO for Outbound Powered Flyby

Author Leah Cheshier
    Posted on November 19, 2022 6:55 pm

On Saturday, Nov. 19, the Mission Management Team polled “go” for Orion’s outbound powered flyby past the Moon. NASA will cover the flyby live on NASA TV, the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive/>, and the NASA app starting at 7:15 a.m. EST Monday, Nov. 21. The burn is planned for 7:44 a.m. Orion will lose communication with Earth as it passes behind the Moon from 7:25 a.m. through 7:59 a.m., making its closest approach of approximately 80 miles from the surface at 7:57 a.m.

During flight day four, flight controllers moved each solar array to a different position to test the strength of the WiFi signal with the arrays in different configurations. The Integrated Communications Officer, or INCO, tested the WiFi transfer rate between the camera on the tip of the solar array panels and the camera controller. The goal was to determine the best position to most efficiently transfer imagery files. Teams learned that having multiple cameras on at once can impact the WiFi data rate, and therefore, future solar array wing file transfer activities will be accomplished from one solar array wing at a time to optimize transfer time.

Master
    Live coverage of the Moon fly-by here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWtNx3VOUA

As I type, a view from the Orion spacecraft with the Moon looming large and Earth visible in the background.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Live coverage of the Moon fly-by here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWtNx3VOUA

As I type, a view from the Orion spacecraft with the Moon looming large and Earth visible in the background.
    Thanks for the reminder. That is amazing.

P.S. I caught it a few seconds before signal was lost.

Blog Entries
    Screenshot I grabbed just before signal was lost.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 21st November 2022 at 13:32.

Blog Entries
    Phew, that's a relief. They've got signal back.

This is a real image, not CGI.

Screenshot I grabbed just before signal was lost.
    Incredible!

I wonder if they will be able to photograph all the junk left on the Moon from previous missions?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Phew, that's a relief. They've got signal back.

This is a real image, not CGI.
    I wonder if those who think the moon landings were faked will be suggesting that this image is also fake due to there also being no stars showing......

Blog Entries
    I wonder if they will be able to photograph all the junk left on the Moon from previous missions?
    I was wondering that too. I suspect the altitudes will be mostly too high. :-(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I wonder if those who think the moon landings were faked will be suggesting that this image is also fake due to there also being no stars showing......
    Hehe. I am sure they will.

The thing is that it's pretty much impossible to tell for sure that it's not CGI. CGI is getting so good nowadays.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I believe NASA when they say it's real. :-) )

Similarly, NASA's official illustrative animations of the Orion capsule are still recognisable as CGI (just) but they are nevertheless very realistic indeed.