closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: All of a sudden I want the DSSD

All of a sudden I want the DSSD

So I have been a watch nut for nearly 15 years now .
    I have a few nice pieces all big watches . I hope the Dssd will be big enough as I hear it wears relatively small. I have a few 50mm.
    I have never really been into Rolexes,always liked the Dssd but never really wanted to own one .
    I could have had the Dssd before all the prices went crazy.
    Just of late and for some unknown reason I want Dssd James cameron.
    I have only ever handled one once ,and the shop had a security chain on it so couldn't really have a good look at it and try it on properly.
    They have dropped considerably recently.
    Anyone else had this happen and I would like to hear your journey with a Dssd and or experience with yours .

Master
    I got a 126660 James Cameron 2 years ago. Initially I loved it but it went unworn for long periods, partly because it was in a rotation, partly because of increasing watch crime (I work in Central London).
    Recently I've begun to wear it again if I'm not going into London. I still love it - it looks great despite being a bit top heavy - but there are other pieces that compete with it, right now my Tudor Black Bay 41mm is getting most of the wrist time.

Love my D-Blue. Not my most worn by any measure but definitely my favourite. I also have a SD43 and a Sub and never wear the SD43. If you're into overkill it really is great, especially the clasp.

The dial only comes out in good light. In the winter and evening it almost looks black so don't expect it to look like this pic most of the time, if anything it only looks like this only some of the time.

Really special watch and well worth trying on in a shop that doesn't have a chain around it. Not sure what that was about.

Craftsman
    Really miss my 126660 JC, it's s stunning watch even if the 50th Submariner it was swapped for gets more wear than the big boy did.

Master
    Picked one up earlier in the year, love it but hardly wear it..just like to look at it and feel the weigh of it

Thanks folks for all your replies.👍

Master
    I love the thought of these more than the reality. It’s a beautiful watch. That said I I have bought and sold them twice (sold fairly quickly after buying as well) as I just can’t get on with them. Bracelet is too small for the size of the head (looks like an orange on a toothpick).

That said I am yet again thinking about getting one, makes no sense……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I love the thought of these more than the reality. It’s a beautiful watch. That said I I have bought and sold them twice (sold fairly quickly after buying as well) as I just can’t get on with them. Bracelet is too small for the size of the head (looks like an orange on a toothpick).

That said I am yet again thinking about getting one, makes no sense……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the 126660, the bracelet is better proportioned than the Gen1 model. It's still a big old unit though...

my daily wearer

I love my JC. I wear it most of the time. Yes it is big and heavy. It is not that top heavy I must say, just need the proper adjustment on the bracelet, which is super easy with the clasp....

A quick update ,I tried and handled a Dssd yesterday, I had my PO chrono on , I as figured it's not big enough for me ,this thing looked scared next to my Planet ocean and for 15k I just can't do it..
    So for now it's a no for me .
    Maybe I will change my mind in time ,who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch freek View Post
    it's not big enough for me ,this thing looked scared next to my Planet ocean
    there is always that, if you want to scare your PO chrono

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/role...challenge-2022

Quote Originally Posted by Watch freek View Post
    A quick update ,I tried and handled a Dssd yesterday, I had my PO chrono on , I as figured it's not big enough for me ,this thing looked scared next to my Planet ocean and for 15k I just can't do it..
    So for now it's a no for me .
    Maybe I will change my mind in time ,who knows.

With any Deep Sea you need to keep it on for at least 20-30 mins to appreciate/get used to it…..whereas a quick on/off experience will normally end in a “no thanks”

I speak from experience as it took me a while to “get” the Deep Sea and now I’ve owned 5 of them with my 126660 James Cameron being one of my top 5 watches in my collection.

As others have rightly said the bracelet and clasp are a work of art by Rolex.

The deepsea is a classic watch, in today's market the size is not as much of an issue nowadays. I really missed mine and bought another, but recently with all the social media exposure, i kinda got sub blind from seeing so many, that the deepsea looked a little ubiquitous. So sadly it went and i didn't regret it

Blog Entries
    For years I just didn’t get it but after trying on TooTall’s at a Norwich GTG many many years ago I was completely blown away, it’s a masterpiece.

I’ve had my ‘black’ over 5 years now (cheers Gareth) and it has virtually remained my daily. My JC has been worn maybe twice, I just prefer the original

Pitch

Craftsman
    I've had my original black version for 12 years and it was a daily wearer for the first two. Since then it has been worn in rotation and for some reason is the watch I nearly always choose to take on holidays. For me the DSSD is still a very special watch amongst an obsessive collection of divers watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    For years I just didn’t get it but after trying on TooTall’s at a Norwich GTG many many years ago I was completely blown away, it’s a masterpiece.

I’ve had my ‘black’ over 5 years now (cheers Gareth) and it has virtually remained my daily. My JC has been worn maybe twice, I just prefer the original

Pitch

Look after that one for me Paul 🏆