closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any reclining chair experts?

Any reclining chair experts?

I think I need advice, and where better to turn to than the repository of the world's leading experts in everything.

For many years I have returned from work's drudgery and relaxed by slumping in a Parker-Knoll Norton Recliner. I thought this was the epitome of relaxing chairs. I even had the latest one reupholstered.

However, of late I have been in considerable discomfort after a spell in the chair. I can't help thinking that my love affair with the Norton recliner is over. The cushion has an arras which seems to coincide exactly with the area of my rear upper thigh (apologies if this is getting a bit too erotic for you) that gives me absolute gyp and often leads later to intersomnolent cramp of epic proportions.

I am satisfied that I have no underlying medical condition save old age.

My question is - what in the present-day world would be a good choice of manual ( i.e. non-electric) reclining armchair to search for? It would probably be a secondhand purchase given the likelihood of my State pension increasing and the necessity of maintaining my present wife in the temperature to which she has become accustomed.

I am not well versed in the matter of interior furnishings. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That looks like a camp chair. With a pronounced arras. Not quite as cushioned as I was hoping for.

I was just being an arras.

(It was a weak reference to my claim that you are JR Hartley)
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 13th November 2022 at 10:09.

La-Z-Boy

I had a leather two seater recliner that never got used. Couldn't give it away. Had to unbolt it and take it down the tip - what a waste!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    La-Z-Boy
    yup

Craftsman
    We have Stressless chairs and they are excellent. Like all furniture, they slump in value the minute they arrive and they aren't cheap but they are superbly comfortable and the service we have had from the Independent retailer we bought them from (who have a full showroom and even lent us a demo chair to try for a while) was excellent.

Try magnesium supplements for your night cramps. It can be very effective.

My last Lay-Z-Boy was garbage (only lasted a few years before it all collapsed in on itself) so I recently bought a G-Plan recliner. Have a look at the G Plan Kingsbury - it has adjustable lumbar support and headrest so perfect for us old buggers with knackered backs. RRPs are pretty high so I bought mine new on eBay with a massive discount from a place called "Rochdale Furniture Direct" and they were excellent.

Thanks guys, I will do some Googling.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    We have Stressless chairs and they are excellent. Like all furniture, they slump in value the minute they arrive and they aren't cheap but they are superbly comfortable and the service we have had from the Independent retailer we bought them from (who have a full showroom and even lent us a demo chair to try for a while) was excellent.
    Second for Stressless, we have a recliner and footstool, not cheap but guess you pay for what you get and certainly robust in every sense. Whenever guests leave there's always a comment on how comfortable that recliner chair was

Master
    Another vote for stressless. I put my chin through my sternum a few years ago in an accident, that and neck pain gave me lots of issues with furniture for a while. I had looked at Stressless before and had one delivered and it made life bearable for my recovery, they’re comfy to sleep on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would also highly recommend stressless, for all the reasons already written above.

Stressless plus 1

Turns out there's an HSL showroom a couple of miles from my house, so a cheeky bit of trying out the Stressless range followed by a hunt for a secondhand example may be on the cards.
    Big thanks to all who commented in this thread; much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Turns out there's an HSL showroom a couple of miles from my house, so a cheeky bit of trying out the Stressless range followed by a hunt for a secondhand example may be on the cards.
    There are two sizes of stressless reclining armchair, or was when I got mine many years ago - the bigger one I prefer but both are super comfy, also definitely get the footstool! Also be wary of no brand chairs that look like them.

I bought my father a Lazy Boy recliner when he developed cancer and started loosing weight. He was sleeping in the living room on a hard foam sofa.

He mentioned my brothers was comfortable,, so I told him to buy what he likes and I would pay for it

I have the chair now and use it every so often

DON

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but this thread cannot be over until the ultimate TZ-UK armchair expert on everything has spoken.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but this thread cannot be over until the ultimate TZ-UK armchair expert on everything has spoken.
    ... and now we can close the thread

Craftsman
    Be aware that HSL range of Stressless appears to be different to that if you go to an independent retailer. That was our experience anyway fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Be aware that HSL range of Stressless appears to be different to that if you go to an independent retailer. That was our experience anyway fwiw.

Thank you. I will bear that in mind.

As if by magic

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...10#post6102810

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You find me confused Matthew. When I follow the link I see a post from Mr.Noble saying "please delete - posted in error".
    Searching SC for "stressless" throws up one post from 2019 for a cream Stressless chair that would have been worthy of consideration had I not been pipped at the post (by 3 years).
    THis is very stressful.

Sorry guys, I had asked around the family and friends recently if anyone wanted my Stressless chair and stool, no one piped up so I popped it up for sale on SC, and within 5 minutes, a family friend emailed to say they’d like to have it. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Sorry guys, I had asked around the family and friends recently if anyone wanted my Stressless chair and stool, no one piped up so I popped it up for sale on SC, and within 5 minutes, a family friend emailed to say they’d like to have it. :-/
    It all becomes clear to me now.

Good way to make something happen; decide on an alternative route. Suddenly, Plan A unexpectedly works.
    A bit like waiting for a phone call that doesn't happen - until you go for a pony. As soon as you commence defecation, the phone rings, and you forgot to bring the handset with you! Guaranteed. I sometimes think that I have a Bluetooth toilet seat.

Haha!

I did consider messaging you, but figured the transport cost to get my chair to Manchester would be prohibitive.

Good luck with the hunt for one!

There are plenty in ebay and Marketplace.

Alec, have a look at Himola as well.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Haha!

I did consider messaging you, but figured the transport cost to get my chair to Manchester would be prohibitive.

Good luck with the hunt for one!

There are plenty in ebay and Marketplace.
    Correct on all counts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    My last Lay-Z-Boy was garbage (only lasted a few years before it all collapsed in on itself) so I recently bought a G-Plan recliner. Have a look at the G Plan Kingsbury - it has adjustable lumbar support and headrest so perfect for us old buggers with knackered backs. RRPs are pretty high so I bought mine new on eBay with a massive discount from a place called "Rochdale Furniture Direct" and they were excellent.
    Totally agree with the garbage opinion on the Lay-Z-Boy. My first (original US made) LZB was fantastic and still resides in my conservatory at over twenty years old (albeit very worn but still immensely comfortable). We bought two of the "new" (far eastern made) LZBs and they are, as said, garbage. They creak, have had to be repaired several times (within the first months) and are sagging (losing their comfort factor) after only a couple of years! Having repaired the frames (loose bolts, no lube on the slides) and the operating handles (loose and misaligned) we will not buy them again. The shop repairer said that he was working full time "putting stuff right"! Unfortunately, the repairs were temporary due to the inferior quality of the fixings and hardware.

Craftsman
    This is a surprising one. I bought an Ikea Muren recliner 17 years ago. Still using it everyday! Very clearly the most comfortable chair / sofa in our house - even compared to ones many many times its price. It looks old but there's no way I'm getting rid of it. Wish they made a better looking version - I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Thanks Ethos for that; I checked them out but don't fancy the arras style of cushion. My present Norton would probably cut the mustard were it not for the sharp corner under my thighs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Alec, have a look at Himola as well.
    We have a Himolla and they are great. By far the most comfy and the leather is top notch.

Craftsman
    I tried Himolla along side the Stressless. For me being built in footrest wasn’t as comfortable sit as with loose footstool positioned to suit. Also seemed a little old fashioned, that was about 4 years ago so styles may have changed

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    I tried Himolla along side the Stressless. For me being built in footrest wasn’t as comfortable sit as with loose footstool positioned to suit. Also seemed a little old fashioned, that was about 4 years ago so styles may have changed
    Up-to-the-minute fashion adherence is not exactly my style. Price and comfort are the drivers.
    Thanks Chris and Mick, I will search Himolla.

Breaking news - I have just purchased online a Stressless Sapphire chair and footstool from the BHF eBay shop, item locus being close to my home.

£450 it is; purportedly as new, in brown leather, which will match my underpants. The colour that is, not the material. I am plotting to mount an assault on the north face of the shop once I have engaged the services of my friend Turboman to provide added muscle.

Those who have recommended the Stressless range - please PM your postal addresses in case I have to take legal action.

Master
    100% stressless, imo best recliners and sofas by a country mile. I have 3 stressless sofas and a recliner and they are expensive but beautiful pieces of kit and crazy comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit of a problem with the Stressless chair and footstool.

I will need explosives to remove Kevin from the footstool. The only way to shift him is for me to vacate the chair at which stage he miraculously wakes up, leaps onto the chair, then immediately recommences his coma.

Ekornes for us,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apparently, Ekornes have a tie-up with British Heart Foundation. Slight second-quality, or customer refusals, go to the BHF furniture shops and can be bought at a substantial discount. The one I bought is as far as I can tell perfect and unused.
    Good lad Ekornes say I.

Amazingly, that’s almost identical to the one I advertised on here briefly.

Pleased that you found a good one.

Amazingly, that’s almost identical to the one I advertised on here briefly.

Pleased that you found a good one.
    Well at least that element of my post was in the right ballpark, I've been feeling that I'd rather let unc down with my dire contributions here.

I bought a new recliner last year. It was fine for awhile, but now that the padding has been broken in there seems to be an unpleasant horizontal bar that presses on my back just above the lumbar area.

I'm thinking of looking for a new chair.

Master
    Stressless, yes expensive but when we looked I told the salesperson we’d wait till the sale came around, a brief discussion with the boss got a decent discount and an instant purchase.