closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PDF Software recommendation

PDF Software recommendation

Recently got a new laptop with Windows 11 and my trusty old Foxit software won't print from Microsoft documents anymore. So, I need a recommendation for software that is a one-off payment as I can't be doing with renting it. I use pdf software to create pdfs from Word, merge, sign and edit.
    Anyone have a favourite?

My favourite is Power PDF by Kofax. It looks a bit clunky, but it is the most powerful I've used in terms of what you can do and undo to PDFs.

To create PDFs, you can do it natively from Word (File > Save as Adobe PDF).

To edit PDFs, there seems to be very little other than Adobe Acrobat (the full Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader) that actually does the job well, but that's subscription only so doesn't meet your criterion. I've had some success with AbleWord:
    http://www.ableword.net/

There are reviews of 121 different PDF Editors here (although I don't know how useful it is):
    https://www.g2.com/categories/pdf-editor

Adobe Acrobat, end of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Recently got a new laptop with Windows 11 and my trusty old Foxit software won't print from Microsoft documents anymore. So, I need a recommendation for software that is a one-off payment as I can't be doing with renting it. I use pdf software to create pdfs from Word, merge, sign and edit.
    Anyone have a favourite?
    If you're just using Foxit as a print-to-PDF driver then this is actually built in to W10 and W11. Any program can print to PDF using the built in driver.

As @PhilipK says, MS Office has save to PDF capability built in.

Also Word itself should be able to edit PDFs. Which version of Word do you have? I have tested this in Word 2019 and it does work.

I've not tested Foxit on W11 yet but I'd have expected that up to date versions of the software should still work on W11. It's still available as a 'perpetual' licence, although the PDF Editor program is not cheap. https://www.foxit.com/pdf-editor/
    Last edited by markrlondon; 11th November 2022 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If you're just using Foxit as a print-to-PDF driver then this is actually built in to W10 and W11. Any program can print to PDF using the built in driver.

As @PhilipK says, MS Office has save to PDF capability built in.

Also Word itself should be able to edit PDFs. Which version of Word do you have? I have tested this in Word 2019 and it does work.

I've not tested Foxit on W11 yet but I'd have expected that up to date versions of the software should still work on W11. It's still available as a 'perpetual' licence, although the PDF Editor program is not cheap. https://www.foxit.com/pdf-editor/
    My Foxit software is 10 years old now. I'm using 365 for office as I have it for the whole family. I use the pdf software to merge different client files so sometimes I'm working with 3 or 4 separate files. Occasionally have to edit wording etc. The native software isn't enough.
    I think a one-off payment to Foxit is about £150 but was wondering if there were any other options that were being used on here.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    My favourite is Power PDF by Kofax. It looks a bit clunky, but it is the most powerful I've used in terms of what you can do and undo to PDFs.
    Thanks I'll look into this.

We have PDF-xchange editor across the business, I find it excellent & really easy to use (use it a lot for marking up drawings):

https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...editor/pricing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    My Foxit software is 10 years old now. I'm using 365 for office as I have it for the whole family. I use the pdf software to merge different client files so sometimes I'm working with 3 or 4 separate files. Occasionally have to edit wording etc. The native software isn't enough.
    I think a one-off payment to Foxit is about £150 but was wondering if there were any other options that were being used on here.
    In your position I'd pay for an up to date Foxit perpetual licence. But of course that's really just loyalty and familiarity. ;-) I've used Foxit for many years too.

The other PDF editor programs suggested here sound worth checking out.

We use Nitro Pro -can't remember how much the licence was now but that seems to allow pdf edits OK.

It also let's you save to word so sometimes will open in nitro, edit in word and then save back to pdf in word.

Craftsman
    If u we’re looking for iOS or Mac I’d say look no further than PDFExpert a Ukrainian Co that is still going strong.

They don’t to Windows yet but it’s planning to.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    If u we’re looking for iOS or Mac I’d say look no further than PDFExpert a Ukrainian Co that is still going strong.

They don’t to Windows yet but it’s planning to.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    And seconded. I've recommended this to my clients and they've found it far easier and more cost-effective to use than Preview or Adobe.

It does all the usual editing and merging, but the Finance Department love the custom stamps you can set up, for their cost codes etc.

The link: https://pdfexpert.com/
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Blog Entries
    Heres a free pdf converter.

https://www.hipdf.com
    Last edited by Bry1975; 25th November 2022 at 20:57.