closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diesel, red v white

Master

Diesel, red v white

I know you shouldn't, ( at least road going ), but does anyone run their vehicles on red, or a mixture of red and white, if so, how do you find it, does it affect the performance, mpg etc etc
    I often have the discussion with a mate who normally runs his truck on red and swears that, apart from the dye, they are exactly the same, of course there is a price difference.

Master
    Well red presumably wont have an additive package (other than the dye) so wont run as clean. Whether this really has a big effect is open to debate but it wouldn't surprise me if a modern high pressure common rail fuel system engine run on red develops fueling issues before one run on pump fuel. On an older diesel engine, pre electronics I can't see it having much if any impact.
    Last edited by Padders; 10th November 2022 at 12:04.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I know you shouldn't, ( at least road going ), but does anyone run their vehicles on red, or a mixture of red and white, if so, how do you find it, does it affect the performance, mpg etc etc
    I often have the discussion with a mate who normally runs his truck on red and swears that, apart from the dye, they are exactly the same, of course there is a price difference.
    So he’s breaking the law then?
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 10th November 2022 at 15:51.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I thought I read a few years ago, that it wasn't neccessary for them to catch you using red diesel - but just that your vehicle showed signs of having used red diesel.

Master
    A couple of my friends have run their cars on red and have done for a number of years. The only issue is the filters clog up and it does cause damage internally after a couple of year due to the red diesel not being clean ( floating bits in it etc ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on a couple of big building sites where they had red fuel tanks for the diggers etc. A number of guys were obviously using it in their vans when the Customs and Excise and police units turned up. I can't remember the actual numbers but there were some some vehicles impounded and some seriously large fines as a consequence. I don't recall anyone having any problems running their vans on it though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So he’s breaking the law the?
    Quite serious, apparently!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-re...m-1-april-2022

Master
    Stick to peddling fake AirPods and all the other tat fella. This is the next step up in criminality

Grand Master
    Always surprises me how the ‘crime’ of running a vehicle on red diesel is punished so heavily relative to other misdemeanors.

Decolourising red diesel isn’t difficult if you know what you’re doing but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Always surprises me how the ‘crime’ of running a vehicle on red diesel is punished so heavily relative to other misdemeanors.

Decolourising red diesel isn’t difficult if you know what you’re doing but I wouldn’t recommend it.
    All tax dodging is punished in a Draconian way, pour encourager les autres

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Stick to peddling fake AirPods and all the other tat fella. This is the next step up in criminality
    Not once have I said I was thinking of running a vehicle on red diesel, I was merely asking the opinion of people who have.
    As I said it’s a discussion I have with a mate quite often.
    But thank you for adding your opinion, oh sorry, you didn’t!!

I know you shouldn't, ( at least road going ), but does anyone run their vehicles on red
    I presume you work for HM Revenue & Customs and looking to snare some dim witted tax dodgers, otherwise I can't believe you're asking people to grass themselves up on a public forum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I presume you work for HM Revenue & Customs and looking to snare some dim witted tax dodgers, otherwise I can't believe you're asking people to grass themselves up on a public forum.
    Work for HM Revenue & Customs, far from it, lol.
    Merely asked opinions, not sure how people could be traced even if they did say they use it every day, happily remove the thread if people are worried we’re being watched 🙈😂

Master
    Many years ago a friend ran a 1.9 NA golf on green diesel. This was the equivalent of red diesel in RoI, and legal to run in the North. The pump was situated literally a few yards over the border.
    He sold the car at around 7 years old and 170k miles, and claimed to never have had an issue.
    Btw that loophole in the legislation has long since been closed.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Some years ago was present when a car was stopped for running on red diesel. Car impounded immediately by customs on behalf of the Queen. Brief interview done with C+E. He paid his fine of £500 the same day and got his car back. Someone didn't like him and knew he was using red diesel from his place of work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

What, like evading paying VAT or fiddling your tax returns?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    My best mate sells heating oils, coal, white diesel and red diesel. Anyone buying red diesel has to bring proof of ID which is photocopied and kept on record.

Stupid question, but red Diesel stains the tank (or at least it used to)
    If you run your Land Rover on red diesel and then sell it on, what happens if the buyer is quizzed by HMRC, Yes I know it’s a long shot but how does the new owner prove that they are not the person using the red stuff?
    If you have red in the tank and you are caught (errrrr) red handed, it’s a fair cop gov, if you have a red stained tank but it contains standard diesel will HMRC still prosecute? How can they?
    If they won’t/ can’t what’s the point of staining the tank red?

Master
    Many years ago I ran a Golf 1.9td on a mix of 'well strained' used cooking oil with a bit of whatever I could get mixed in. This included blue-dyed red and or paraffin. It was fine in summer but needed pump diesel mixed in to run in winter due to gelling.
    The car used to smell like a mobile chip shop when in progress lol.
    Modern diesels won't tolerate crap fuel and it's not worth it to try as injectors and fuel pumps are very expensive these days.
    Also, as we know, the worst crime is to rob the authorities of their taxes, This has been the case since Alfred's time and probably before.

Master
    Red diesel doesn’t exist any more so not something that will come up now. Someone I know was stopped a few times for having red diesel in her X3 near Penrith auction I think after the 4 the time they seized the car . There was a way to get the dye out .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Red diesel doesn’t exist any more so not something that will come up now. Someone I know was stopped a few times for having red diesel in her X3 near Penrith auction I think after the 4 the time they seized the car . There was a way to get the dye out .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes it does.
    Red is now only used by agriculture and marine. Everyone else , so thats construction mainly, switched over in April of this year.
    And boy do i know it . As predicted my fuel theft has gone through the roof to the point i now have to pay £7000 a month to secure one site from fuel theft .
    But only last night i had a large pump emptied of fuel . 150 liters so over £200 worth .
    Red used to be stolen by people who are happy to run red in there cars and trucks. But now its white its really worth stealing . That and the price.

And red doesnt stain . You can put red in a clear drum, empty properly and you cant tell it was in there.

Red diesel doesn’t exist any more so not something that will come up now….
    I beg to differ…
    I Put some in the shoot pick-up on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Well red presumably wont have an additive package (other than the dye) so wont run as clean. Whether this really has a big effect is open to debate but it wouldn't surprise me if a modern high pressure common rail fuel system engine run on red develops fueling issues before one run on pump fuel. On an older diesel engine, pre electronics I can't see it having much if any impact.
    They're the same apart from the dye.

Master
    I remember 10-15 years ago there were a number of pop-up filling stations appearing in Belfast selling cheap white diesel. Turned out it was originally red that had the dye removed and the process used acid, which would be fine for a while but eventually your car would start spluttering and you'd get a four figure bill to fix it.

Most of these illegal cleaning plants operated around the NI/ROI border and there were some serious environmental incidents with the waste, but I believe most have been stamped out now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Yes it does.
    Red is now only used by agriculture and marine. Everyone else , so thats construction mainly, switched over in April of this year.
    And boy do i know it . As predicted my fuel theft has gone through the roof to the point i now have to pay £7000 a month to secure one site from fuel theft .
    But only last night i had a large pump emptied of fuel . 150 liters so over £200 worth .
    Red used to be stolen by people who are happy to run red in there cars and trucks. But now its white its really worth stealing . That and the price.

And red doesnt stain . You can put red in a clear drum, empty properly and you cant tell it was in there.
    £7k a month. Wow, how much are you storing, that’s mental costs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Theft from site has been a problem for donkey's years.
    Our sites used to go through 36 to 48000 litres a day, and all the local grifters knew exactly when our deliveries were made. We had to keep two nightwatchmen/guards on our tanks even back in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    I beg to differ…
    I Put some in the shoot pick-up on Wednesday
    Agreed. You can pop into any main builders merchant like Travis Perkins or Jewsons and buy it in 20l boxes.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/auto...l-20l/p/850654
    Last edited by manganr; 11th November 2022 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Agreed. You can pop into any main builders merchant like Travis Perkins or Jewsons and buy it in 20l boxes.

Am I reading that right ???
    20 litres of fuel for £113.69p

What the actual fuck???

That's not red diesel.

Maybe I clicked the wrong link. Its definitely red diesel. Last time I bought a box was about 2 weeks ago. I still have some left. Maybe I'll try SC.

Maybe I clicked the wrong link. Its definitely red diesel. Last time I bought a box was about 2 weeks ago. I still have some left. Maybe I'll try SC.
    Here's one from elsewhere - much cheaper!

https://www.kdmhire.com/product/red-...-fuel-box-20l/

I thought that all red sales were stopped earlier this year, even for farming

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Yes it does.
    Only agriculture in certain applications , my next door neighbour has tractors and has had to switch to regular diesel due to going on the roads

Pleasure boaters cant use it anymore either

They want to phase it out to force people to change to more environmental options/pay significantly more tax

I heard that theft has gone through the roof as a result

Master
    Not once have I said I was thinking of running a vehicle on red diesel, I was merely asking the opinion of people who have.
    As I said it’s a discussion I have with a mate quite often.
    But thank you for adding your opinion, oh sorry, you didn’t!!
    Haha, yeah sure. My opinion is pretty simple really - continue to pay your dues on fuel like 99% of us do and don’t pass up fake tat as genuine kit to unsuspecting punters. Fingers crossed for the former eh?

Master
    Is it still actually the color red, or just chemically ‘signed’?

I used to regularly visit a big livestock market, it was the talk of the tea bar when the customs and excise folks were in the car parks randomly dip testing the land rovers etc.

An airfield I used to work at had problems with some of the maintenance staff sticking the Jet A-1 fuel drained from aircraft during maintenance into their road vehicles, their cars used to run on it, but I wondered what damage it was doing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Is it still actually the color red, or just chemically ‘signed’?
    Now contains bio markers, so it can be tracked from source to vehicle............................

.................................................. .................................................. . sound of draining tanks and hearts beating faster as HM Customs are running up your path! :)

https://www.tracerco.com/services/fuel-marking/

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves