timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ev charger fitted yesterday.

Ev charger fitted yesterday.

Hi all.
    Had our ev charger fitted yesterday
    Pod point is the make. This is who Vw use. I’d never heard
    Of them tbh
    Smooth painless install took the guy 2 hours total.
    Ready for my id buzz. All works of the app.
    This is free with Vw at the mo
    Last edited by lenlec; 10th November 2022 at 11:40.

Master
    We have the same for our ID.3. Works well, I've found. One issue where it had to be rebooted remotely, but otherwise fine (had it about 15 months so far).

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    We have the same for our ID.3. Works well, I've found. One issue where it had to be rebooted remotely, but otherwise fine (had it about 15 months so far).
    Have you noticed a major increase in your electricity bills ? Due to using the ev charger?

Craftsman
    We also have the same, maybe not the most glamorous looking (certainly not the worst) but seems a quality bit of kit and does the job well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Have you noticed a major increase in your electricity bills ? Due to using the ev charger?
    1 EV and 1 PHEV here, approx 16k miles pa combined. My Andersen says it’s cost £824 in electricity this year so far. About 1/4 has come from excess solar also.

So you notice it on your bill, but it’s a lot cheaper than petrol.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

How did you manage to get the free charger… did you haggle for it or was it something listed in the deal?
    Can’t see it on the VW site anywhere
    Reason I ask is because we’ve got a pair of ID 5s ordered and asked about free chargers as the ID4 came with one and they said it wasn’t available anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    How did you manage to get the free charger… did you haggle for it or was it something listed in the deal?
    Can’t see it on the VW site anywhere
    Reason I ask is because we’ve got a pair of ID 5s ordered and asked about free chargers as the ID4 came with one and they said it wasn’t available anymore

Hi mate.
    No haggling. Just free with the id buzz I think
    They mentioned it straight away
    Also waiting on the £5000 government grants to kick in ?
    Mite be for you as well ?

Heard nothing about the £5K- thought that was all over now

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Heard nothing about the £5K- thought that was all over now

According to the Vw dealer. They are just waiting on the id buzz being out on the grant list for vehicles that qualify as it’s a new vehicle

Craftsman
    There's absolutely no chance there'll be a £5k EV grant or any EV grant in future. There has been a lot of discussion of the Government's planned introduction of road tax for EVs (currently £0) as early as the second half of 2023 so it seems impossible to believe that they will incentivise the purchase/lease of an EV any time in the immediate future.

Looks good. I bought a Simpson and Partners untethered unit yesterday, should be here next week and hopefully fitted then or the week after. Somehowy wife ordered the same colour scheme as a Duracell battery without realising.

I wanted a tethered unit but our driveway is a postage stamp and most tethered units come with a cable about 7m long but yours looks good there.

Only grumble is I had to order a 2m Menekes cable on eBay and pay more than I thought for the privilege. 2m cables from companies like Menekes or Pheonix Pro are like hen's teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks good. I bought a Simpson and Partners untethered unit yesterday, should be here next week and hopefully fitted then or the week after. Somehowy wife ordered the same colour scheme as a Duracell battery without realising.

I wanted a tethered unit but our driveway is a postage stamp and most tethered units come with a cable about 7m long but yours looks good there.

Only grumble is I had to order a 2m Menekes cable on eBay and pay more than I thought for the privilege. 2m cables from companies like Menekes or Pheonix Pro are like hen's teeth.
    I deal with with MENNEKES for standard industrial plugs and sockets
    Decent stuff you got the EV yet ?

Ev charger fitted yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I deal with with MENNEKES for standard industrial plugs and sockets
    Decent stuff you got the EV yet ?
    Yeah, got the car a year back almost but couldn't get a home charger until now due to no driveway.

Tesla and Simpson and Partners both said Mennekes is the best of the best and Pheonix Contact is also very good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    There's absolutely no chance there'll be a £5k EV grant or any EV grant in future. There has been a lot of discussion of the Government's planned introduction of road tax for EVs (currently £0) as early as the second half of 2023 so it seems impossible to believe that they will incentivise the purchase/lease of an EV any time in the immediate future.
    I believe that commercial vehicles can still attract a grant. Lenlec has ordered an ID Buzz Van, and has a business IIRC?

I think the Buzz may be added to the list of eligible vehicles soon.

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-vehicle-grants/vans

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I believe that commercial vehicles can still attract a grant. Lenlec has ordered an ID Buzz Van, and has a business IIRC?

I think the Buzz may be added to the list of eligible vehicles soon.

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-vehicle-grants/vans
    Ah...that makes sense then - I have a mate with an ID Buzz on order (the car-tax elegible one) and hadn't really considered that vans may attract a grant. My experience with EV vans via another mate with a plant hire business is that they start with limited range and when they have any substantial payload they become near unsuable. His EV Transit was sub-100 miles laden (he bought it because it was a stipulation of a long-term service contract) and he only ever uses it on jobs for the client he was forced to buy it by.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Ah...that makes sense then - I have a mate with an ID Buzz on order (the car-tax elegible one) and hadn't really considered that vans may attract a grant. My experience with EV vans via another mate with a plant hire business is that they start with limited range and when they have any substantial payload they become near unsuable. His EV Transit was sub-100 miles laden (he bought it because it was a stipulation of a long-term service contract) and he only ever uses it on jobs for the client he was forced to buy it by.
    Yeah, the early electric vans (like most of the cars really) were quite short on range, but I was surprised to see how many were on the market now and some of them have quite big battery packs.

One of my brothers is a heating engineer, where he works they have a couple of e-Transits on trial, which were very unpopular until the lads found out they were 180 and 265 bhp respectively…

Actual real world all weather range on those seems to be just over the 100 mile mark, even loaded up, which is a lot less than the official range of around 190, but they get driven hard.

If Greggs start installing charge points I can see them being a great success… :-)