closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris Cal 645 - Date change issue

Journeyman

Oris Cal 645 - Date change issue

I've recently re-aquianted myself with my Oris Star diver. For the last three years it has sat, unworn, in a watch box.

Now back on the wrist it runs fine until it's time for the date to switch over, whereupon the second hand continues to move, but the other hands stay still in this 10.10pm position. If I pull the crown and wind the hands on past the date change all is well again.

Anybody familiar with the movement (I believe it's an Oris Cal 645) and the likely cause? Was working fine when I put it away etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    I've recently re-aquianted myself with my Oris Star diver. For the last three years it has sat, unworn, in a watch box.

Now back on the wrist it runs fine until it's time for the date to switch over, whereupon the second hand continues to move, but the other hands stay still in this 10.10pm position. If I pull the crown and wind the hands on past the date change all is well again.

Anybody familiar with the movement (I believe it's an Oris Cal 645) and the likely cause? Was working fine when I put it away etc.

Nice looking Oris, like it or not I imagine it needs a service,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Nice looking Oris, like it or not I imagine it needs a service,
    Thanks, and yes for sure. I bought it in 2013 and it's never been serviced in my ownership so it's certainly due.

I was just curious how it might have failed while "out of circulation". Had it taken a knock in use then it would make sense, although I am sure there is a simple explanation.

Grand Master
    I’m sure the cause will become obvious once the dial has been removed! Sounds unusual, what I don’t understand is how the seconds hand continues to run whilst the hr and minute hand stick, I would expect the movement to stop running.

When a watch needs servicing it generally keeps running but with low amplitude which affects the rate, hand- winding can become stiffer too, but its unusual on a modern watch for the date change to start sticking.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m sure the cause will become obvious once the dial has been removed! Sounds unusual, what I don’t understand is how the seconds hand continues to run whilst the hr and minute hand stick, I would expect the movement to stop running.

When a watch needs servicing it generally keeps running but with low amplitude which affects the rate, hand- winding can become stiffer too, but its unusual on a modern watch for the date change to start sticking.
    Thank you and it's a curious one for sure. I don't know what these vintage Oris pieces command price wise these days (I paid £165 8 years ago) but I suspect that a service is going to run to 50% of the value. Oh well.

Craftsman
    Thank you and it's a curious one for sure. I don't know what these vintage Oris pieces command price wise these days (I paid £165 8 years ago) but I suspect that a service is going to run to 50% of the value. Oh well.
    More than likely a worn/loose canon pinion. The second hand runs straight through and is not effected, whilst the hands slip because there is not enough friction to engage the date change mechanism.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the responses on this and just to conclude it, I listed it on eBay with the fault declared and bidding went surprisingly well, giving a return of £40 on the price I paid once I've allowed for inflation.

Shame to see it go but too many other watches to try.

Grand Master
    Thanks for the responses on this and just to conclude it, I listed it on eBay with the fault declared and bidding went surprisingly well, giving a return of £40 on the price I paid once I've allowed for inflation.

Shame to see it go but too many other watches to try.
    If you liked the watch why didn’t you get some estimates to have it serviced? Maybe you need to be realistic and factor the cost of getting watches serviced into the cost of vintage watch ownership, selling the watch is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Journeyman
    Ah, I wasn't very clear. I am slimming down my collection because I just don't wear my vintage watches anymore and I am letting the ones that aren't working go first. There's no benefit to me repairing them because even if I did I wouldn't wear them.

So when I say it's a shame it's more a commentary on my change in needs and tastes than because of that particular watch.

Here are some of the others that will be heading out the door soon for example.