closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Contemplating my First Doxa...or should it be a Squale?

Master

Contemplating my First Doxa...or should it be a Squale?

I have been long considering buying a Doxa for the longest time.

There have always been a sort of question mark re legitimacy of the brand and if nowadays they are true dive watch makers and not simply an assembler of parts (Made in China?), for this, other watches have always seems to get Priority over it.

This last year I have been looking at their site on and off. After much deliberation and watching countless reviews on Youtube I have settled on the Sub 300.

I would like to go for the Professional, for obvious reasons, but seem 'just' a little more drawn to the Sharkhunter. After all Jacques Cousteau himself seemed to choose a black dialed Doxa over an orange one didn't he!? I don't need for it to be versatile, I have a few other black dialed watches. I just 'think' I like the black dial/orange hand combo 'just' better.

I like to keep one ETA 2824 powered watch in my collection, a post held for 7+ years by my Sinn EZM3F. I do not intend to keep both, so the Doxa would be a replacement for the Sinn. The ONLY thing I do not like about the Sinn is the bracelet, I do wear it on Nato, but due to it I'm not wearing and enjoying it as one should.

The other 2824 powered watch I have been eyeing, but never owned, mostly because of the lack of a bracelet option (a shark mesh does not count for me :)) is the Squale 1521. I would go for the 'Opaco' Blue (Blasted case, matte blue dial & bezel).

I am a bit torn and would like to hear your opinions, especially from owners of both watches:).

- Is the Sub 300 worth the premium over a Squale 1521 in terms of build quality?
    - Anyone confirm if the Sub 300 does in fact house a 'Chronometer' grade 2824 and not simply an adjusted 'Elabore' 2824, which has simply been sent off for COSC certification?
    - How is reliability, QA & Customer Care for Doxa?

I like to keep a small collection, below 10 Total if at all possible, even though I am at 12 watches at the time. That is why all the thought that I am putting in this decision :).

Would like to hear your views, experiences and photos of the watches you own/ed :).
    Last edited by buddy13; 8th November 2022 at 15:53.

I would not be getting rid of a Sinn for either a Doxa or a Squale
    My Sinn’s are better quality than the single Squale I own and any Doxa I have played with.
    Both Doxa and Squale give you the vintage vibe that Sinn does not but I think it’s night and day in the finish and quality department. But it should be as there is quite a difference in price.
    I have heard some horror stories about Doxa customer service, these are a few years old now, I have heard nothing but good things about Squale CS
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th November 2022 at 15:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would not be getting rid of a Sinn for either a Doxa or a Squale
    My Sinn’s are better quality than the single Squale I own and any Doxa I have played with.
    Both Doxa and Squale give you the vintage vibe that Sinn does not but I think it’s night and day in the finish and quality department. But it should be as there is quite a difference in price.
    I have heard some horror stories about Doxa customer service, these are a few years old now, I have heard nothing but good things about Squale CS
    Thanks for reply.

Yes, I mean the EZM3F is an awesome watch. It keeps great time (top grade ETA?), has 1,000 Gauss antimagnetic, antifogging and a crown that screws for almost twice as normal as a standard screw down crown.

I really like it, shame about the endlinks.

I'm not with you on the price front, a Doxa Sub 300 is much dearer than the Sinn. Its well over 2K Euro new.

Journeyman
    I have both a Squale 1521 and a Doxa 300, one of the aqualung reissues. I love them both, having an individuality and personality that's pretty unique to them and with a vintage flavour that I really like. I'm not sure I could choose between them, to be honest. They both offer me something that I enjoy, so I think the only advice I could offer on that is put a picture of both on your desktop, and over a few days try to work out which one your eye is drawn to the most/you're getting least bored of!

I can't comment on the COSC aspect as my watch is from prior to that. I've not owned a Sinn, so can't compare them on quality.

Regarding Doxa customer service, previous to the Doxa 300, I had a 1500T (which I only moved on to allow the 300 purchase). It had a minor cosmetic issue on the bracelet. I contacted Doxa and they offered for me to send the whole watch in to have the clasp replaced, or to send out a replacement clasp to have fitted myself. I chose the latter as i tinker a bit and reckoned I could manage it (I couldn't! Didn't have the right tool fitting, but local watch repairer did and it was a quick swap). They also sent me out a Doxa cap with the replacement clasp, which I thought was nice of them, and still wear it when on the dive boat to this day. My impression of dealing with them was that they were helpful, friendly, and eager to address the issue in the way most convenient to me, so a very satisfactory experience. I remain a satisfied customer who regularly considers adding the new COSC 300 model to my collection, and probably will eventually. I think this issue cropped up around about 2015 to give you a time context on this.

I needed to get a replacement bezel for my Squale 1521 after a moment of abject stupidity. Squale's customer service was also helpful, friendly, and eager to get my issue sorted out, even though it was entirely my fault. Another positive experience here, so nothing to set them apart I'm afraid! Once again, I remain a very satisfied customer, and have since purchased one of their limited edition releases, which I also love.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either unless you're unlucky, which can happen with any brand. They're robust, nice to look at and fun to wear, while being a little bit off the more beaten path of dive watches, and I've been happy with the quality level they offer for the price. In terms of time keeping, I've not had any issue with either.

I hope that's of help!

Craftsman
    I am a Squale fan, absolutely love their style and very good quality. For me it would be Squale but looking at your OP the first sentence sets out how the Doxa has been long considered by you. I'd always go for the watch that appeals to me, otherwise you will be back round to look at it later down the line. If the Doxa is the one you want that's the one to get.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    I have both a Squale 1521 and a Doxa 300, one of the aqualung reissues. I love them both, having an individuality and personality that's pretty unique to them and with a vintage flavour that I really like. I'm not sure I could choose between them, to be honest. They both offer me something that I enjoy, so I think the only advice I could offer on that is put a picture of both on your desktop, and over a few days try to work out which one your eye is drawn to the most/you're getting least bored of!

I can't comment on the COSC aspect as my watch is from prior to that. I've not owned a Sinn, so can't compare them on quality.

Regarding Doxa customer service, previous to the Doxa 300, I had a 1500T (which I only moved on to allow the 300 purchase). It had a minor cosmetic issue on the bracelet. I contacted Doxa and they offered for me to send the whole watch in to have the clasp replaced, or to send out a replacement clasp to have fitted myself. I chose the latter as i tinker a bit and reckoned I could manage it (I couldn't! Didn't have the right tool fitting, but local watch repairer did and it was a quick swap). They also sent me out a Doxa cap with the replacement clasp, which I thought was nice of them, and still wear it when on the dive boat to this day. My impression of dealing with them was that they were helpful, friendly, and eager to address the issue in the way most convenient to me, so a very satisfactory experience. I remain a satisfied customer who regularly considers adding the new COSC 300 model to my collection, and probably will eventually. I think this issue cropped up around about 2015 to give you a time context on this.

I needed to get a replacement bezel for my Squale 1521 after a moment of abject stupidity. Squale's customer service was also helpful, friendly, and eager to get my issue sorted out, even though it was entirely my fault. Another positive experience here, so nothing to set them apart I'm afraid! Once again, I remain a very satisfied customer, and have since purchased one of their limited edition releases, which I also love.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either unless you're unlucky, which can happen with any brand. They're robust, nice to look at and fun to wear, while being a little bit off the more beaten path of dive watches, and I've been happy with the quality level they offer for the price. In terms of time keeping, I've not had any issue with either.

I hope that's of help!
    Very helpful indeed, thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's satisfying to hear, in both cases, after all the hard earned we put into this hobby and considering the meaning and value we put into these little machines :)

Wishing you many more happy dives!