closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refurbishing Rolex bracelet

Craftsman

Refurbishing Rolex bracelet

Hi All,

A very old friend of mine came over yesterday and asked me if it is possible to refurbish his bracelet on his 1986 Sub, it is very badly stretched and in my opinion it is only a matter of time before one of the pins breaks. The cost of a new one from Rolex is circa £1000 so can anyone on here recommend anyone how could replace all the pins?

Many thanks in advance.

James

Michael young in Hongkong is supposedly the go to but I’m sure Steven Hale in London could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Young in HK or closer to home probably Seth?

It's probably worth considering a new bracelet (not on an exchange basis) anyway unless there is a specific reason he wants the refurb the existing -- price/originality?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Michael Young in HK or closer to home probably Seth?

It's probably worth considering a new bracelet (not on an exchange basis) anyway unless there is a specific reason he wants the refurb the existing -- price/originality?
    And it'll be a year on a NATO with both of those options.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Personally I'd go RSJ and just get a new bracelet and leave the original in the box or get in the queue for the bracelet whisperers.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Crazy they have bracelet for a year. Realistically, how long does the work actually take - is it too difficult to have a booking system and request it when they're ready?

TBF, same for overlong services.

Craftsman
    Thank you for your responses, I will get back to him having explored the suggestions so far👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy a new one, expensive but will see him out and will make the watch feel like new again.

Master
    This echoes my experience.
    Quote for the work & say it will only take 4 weeks - get your bracelet back a year later!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Crazy they have bracelet for a year. Realistically, how long does the work actually take - is it too difficult to have a booking system and request it when they're ready?

TBF, same for overlong services.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Thank you for this👍

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Buy a new one, expensive but will see him out and will make the watch feel like new again.
    Agreed, but I`m wondering what the rest of the watch is like. A new genuine bracelet would be my choice, it'll be more expensive but getting the old one rebuilt won't be cheap. A new one will have a brand new clasp too which is worth having.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agreed, but I`m wondering what the rest of the watch is like. A new genuine bracelet would be my choice, it'll be more expensive but getting the old one rebuilt won't be cheap. A new one will have a brand new clasp too which is worth having.
    It has been well worn for it’s entire life, I agree with you and my advice to him is to bite the bullet and get a new bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    It has been well worn for it’s entire life, I agree with you and my advice to him is to bite the bullet and get a new bracelet.
    I have a 1980 explorer11 model 1655 and the previous owner fitted it with a genuine Rolex replacement bracelet. It is as per the original model so has a lot of life left in it. However it looks new in contrast to the watch which looks old.

Had it been down to me, I would had it refurbished, originality is something to be retained if possible.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a 1980 explorer11 model 1655 and the previous owner fitted it with a genuine Rolex replacement bracelet. It is as per the original model so has a lot of life left in it. However it looks new in contrast to the watch which looks old.

Had it been down to me, I would had it refurbished, originality is something to be retained if possible.
    IMO bracelets on older Rolex are/should be classed as perishables. Id rather have an old watch on a new bracelet than an old watch on a bracelet that has been repinned/refurbished.
    In my experience which includes MY HK and Seth, they dont come back looking and feeling as good as a replacement does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    IMO bracelets on older Rolex are/should be classed as perishables. Id rather have an old watch on a new bracelet than an old watch on a bracelet that has been repinned/refurbished.
    In my experience which includes MY HK and Seth, they dont come back looking and feeling as good as a replacement does.
    If I had the power of dictatorship I would have every WIS hypnotised to regard having watches spruced up as being desirable and normal rather than, as of present, being considered a way of eroding the history of of the watch.

The last two watches that I had serviced have not been polished at all, so today I am wearing an Omega Constellation that is mechanically perfect and looks bashed up.

If my 1655 had been polished and generally tarted up, the bracelet would have blended in with it. However the watch looks more knackered than me and the bracelet looks all shiny and new. It just ain't right.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

If my 1655 had been polished and generally tarted up, the bracelet would have blended in with it. However the watch looks more knackered than me and the bracelet looks all shiny and new. It just ain't right.
    In time the new bracelet will match the watch with wear ...

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Agreed. You can always hang onto the original bracelet but they're consumable items IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    In time the new bracelet will match the watch with wear ...
    Yes and I will be dead by then.