closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Max is a wreck !! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Cant you buy them from registered sellers outside of those times then?
    I've corrected my original link to provide the full details of the Fireworks Act.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I am pleased to hear Max is okay and that the fireworks have largely abated for the time being for the sake of all pets and animals.

Cant you buy them from registered sellers outside of those times then?
    Certainly plenty of fireworks around Chinese new year, there are also Diwali and Hindu fireworks plus I'm sure people have them on their birthdays etc too.

They probably buy and put them away.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Even a professional show doesn’t last 4hrs and nothing bangs the windows these days. I feel for your dog, but the exaggeration doesn’t help your cause. Speak with neighbours.
    Sad that you think I am exaggerating about this. Do you think dogs (or any other animal) just gets stressed when they hear a bang and it goes away. That is ignorance belong belief. Do a bit of research. It's trauma, just like with humans. The little fella is now conditioned to feel fear when it starts to get dark, starts trembling and panting and that is the start. The fact that there is no rhyme or reason to when they are going off because its gangs of kids that have them and it is random, makes that worse and means that he is anxiously waiting for hours and getting more and more worked up. He doesn't know when the bangs are going to happen.

The OP actually noted that the bangs are going off where he lives from 5pm to midnight. Do you think that is an organised display or that he too is exaggerating? Other people have also used terms like its like a version of shock and awe, or weapons grade percussion, window-rattling explosions let off by brain-dead idiots. I guess they too are exaggerating. One person spoke about horses running around in panic... I guess that is OTT too? Another gives his dog Valium... The picture of the horse killed and the car wrecked because of fireworks may be OTT to you? You sound to me like one of life's 'i'm alright jack' types. Glad its ok where you are and that you and yours are ok. Try having a bit of empathy and compassion. It's good for the soul.

Not sure where you live fella, but you seem to think laws about decibels and other things apply. Firstly, many of these are illegal fireworks sold cheaply to gangs of kids, without restrictions on noise or sales. If the laws applied they wouldn't have them. Take it from me. these things are not your standard fireworks, they are shockingly loud. Its quite funny that you think these are neighbors having little displays and I can go around to speak to them. The neighbors are as shocked and upset as we are and some have animals that are affected too, including horses.

having said the above, you had a pop at me on another thread recently. maybe you get your jollies jumping in on people that may have slighted you in some way... I suppose it puts a bit on interest into your day.... I will wait with baited breath for you to jump on my next comments in whatever thread that i post on. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I guess they too are exaggerating.

There's certainly a bit of that going on – maybe not describing pets reactions, but some the descriptions of the fireworks makes me think we have members living in Aleppo with clingfilm for glazing. I guess we're all prone to exaggerating here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There's certainly a bit of that going on – maybe not describing pets reactions, but some the descriptions of the fireworks makes me think we have members living in Aleppo with clingfilm for glazing. I guess we're all prone to exaggerating here and there.
    I think that possibly comes from trying to get across that the laws and decibel levels that some people are quoting are not applicable, particularly when the unregulated sale of exhibition grade fireworks or imports from other countries is rife. I guess its a frustration thing. When some of the fireworks and bangs are setting car and house alarms (not mine) off you kind of know that they are not within the legal parameters. That is what some of us have had... For those that have not experienced that they must be thinking there is some exaggeration going on and I can totally understand that.

As an aside, its not just bangs that affect animals. The working farm where we got him from over on the Wirral had embers / burning fireworks from a display land on their barn and stables and set fire to it a couple of years ago. Thankfully they got the horses out safely and not too much damage but it was close.
    Last edited by Bluemoon7; 9th November 2022 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    Sad that you think I am exaggerating about this. Do you think dogs (or any other animal) just gets stressed when they hear a bang and it goes away. That is ignorance belong belief. Do a bit of research. It's trauma, just like with humans. The little fella is now conditioned to feel fear when it starts to get dark, starts trembling and panting and that is the start. The fact that there is no rhyme or reason to when they are going off because its gangs of kids that have them and it is random, makes that worse and means that he is anxiously waiting for hours and getting more and more worked up. He doesn't know when the bangs are going to happen.

The OP actually noted that the bangs are going off where he lives from 5pm to midnight. Do you think that is an organised display or that he too is exaggerating? Other people have also used terms like its like a version of shock and awe, or weapons grade percussion, window-rattling explosions let off by brain-dead idiots. I guess they too are exaggerating. One person spoke about horses running around in panic... I guess that is OTT too? Another gives his dog Valium... The picture of the horse killed and the car wrecked because of fireworks may be OTT to you? You sound to me like one of life's 'i'm alright jack' types. Glad its ok where you are and that you and yours are ok. Try having a bit of empathy and compassion. It's good for the soul.

Not sure where you live fella, but you seem to think laws about decibels and other things apply. Firstly, many of these are illegal fireworks sold cheaply to gangs of kids, without restrictions on noise or sales. If the laws applied they wouldn't have them. Take it from me. these things are not your standard fireworks, they are shockingly loud. Its quite funny that you think these are neighbors having little displays and I can go around to speak to them. The neighbors are as shocked and upset as we are and some have animals that are affected too, including horses.

having said the above, you had a pop at me on another thread recently. maybe you get your jollies jumping in on people that may have slighted you in some way... I suppose it puts a bit on interest into your day.... I will wait with baited breath for you to jump on my next comments in whatever thread that i post on. Have a good one.
    I have sympathy with people who have nervous pets as this time of year, must be a ball ache but what i don't understand is why this appears now to be a very modern thing. Ive been on this fine planet 50 years and its only over the past 5 ish years that having nervous pets on the 5th November is a thing. Yes I'm sure it was the same in the 70s & 80s but i cant help thinking that people just got on with it.
    Every year in my street there was at least 3 other families that had bomb-fires and let fireworks off, i now live less that 500 yards where i was brought up and don't recall seeing any. I cant help thinking that FB has had a part to play in more and more people complaining about this.

^^^^^^

Social media plays it's part for sure.

Look at the pi$$ing and moaning that rattles round here sometimes!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I have sympathy with people who have nervous pets as this time of year, must be a ball ache but what i don't understand is why this appears now to be a very modern thing. Ive been on this fine planet 50 years and its only over the past 5 ish years that having nervous pets on the 5th November is a thing. Yes I'm sure it was the same in the 70s & 80s but i cant help thinking that people just got on with it.
    Every year in my street there was at least 3 other families that had bomb-fires and let fireworks off, i now live less that 500 yards where i was brought up and don't recall seeing any. I cant help thinking that FB has had a part to play in more and more people complaining about this.
    I think you're correct about social media highlighting this problem .
    I think there are many more pet owners now than in days gone by so I think some of it is just a numbers game.
    I also think that dogs are much more cosseted now.
    Dogs used to be kept in kennels outdoors and I think would be more exposed to noise and unexpected events so has that made them a bit more temperamental?
    Also many more pedigree dogs now than ever before-again do these tend to be a bit more edgy than the mongrels people had years ago.
    I don't have pets and I don't really care about fireworks so no skin in the game.

Master
    I think that possibly comes from trying to get across that the laws and decibel levels that some people are quoting are not applicable, particularly when the unregulated sale of exhibition grade fireworks or imports from other countries is rife. I guess its a frustration thing. When some of the fireworks and bangs are setting car and house alarms (not mine) off you kind of know that they are not within the legal parameters.

No such thing as exhibition fireworks, there's category (Cat) 4 which is professional use only, if these are on sale to the general public it will be via an illegal route.
    Imported fireworks - the majority are mainly China, although some more expensive ones from Europe, the UK made stuff is horrendously priced.

Fireworks well under the 120db limit will set car alarms off, I used to say it was the sign of a good show when you could hear loads of alarms going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I think you're correct about social media highlighting this problem .
    I think there are many more pet owners now than in days gone by so I think some of it is just a numbers game.
    I also think that dogs are much more cosseted now.
    Dogs used to be kept in kennels outdoors and I think would be more exposed to noise and unexpected events so has that made them a bit more temperamental?
    Also many more pedigree dogs now than ever before-again do these tend to be a bit more edgy than the mongrels people had years ago.
    I don't have pets and I don't really care about fireworks so no skin in the game.
    Funny you should mention about dogs…The wife and I have over the years have become friends with the couple we got our 2 Labs from a few years ago. They’ve been breeding for 30 + years, they're qualified nutritionalists and behaviourist, in their opinions a lot ( NOT ALL) of the problems around the 5th are stemming from how people are almost placing their mutts on pedestals and they're an extension of a child. If they show fear the best thing to do is ignore rather than bundle them up and prove theres something to be scared about. Kind of makes sense…i guess in years gone by dogs were, as you said, kennelled and they would simply get used to this kind of thing.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th November 2022 at 20:38.