closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max is a wreck !! :(

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    You prefer animals to people, because animals are distressed by fireworks? Huh?
    You are obviously hard of comprehension and contentious thus further justifying why I would much prefer to interact with a dog or cat than a halfwit like you.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I saw the horse's injuries, horrific doesn't come close.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Wow quite the impact, were the driver and passengers if any OK?
    Both driver and passenger sustained minor injuries, the car was a write off.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    You are obviously hard of comprehension and contentious thus further justifying why I would much prefer to interact with a dog or cat than a halfwit like you.
    I'm the contentious one? I think I understand why you might get on better with animals..
    Last edited by M1011; 7th November 2022 at 00:47.

Fortunately, Shadow (black lab) couldn't care less about fireworks. He does, however, get very, very upset when a leaf lands on the conservatory roof. Good that he doesn't get scared though.

I'm not happy with the trend for fireworks to be more about emitting a sonic boom rather than having pretty visuals.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought there may be less this year due to cost of living etc, but some people would sooner waste money on fireworks. Each to there own.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I thought there may be less this year due to cost of living etc, but some people would sooner waste money on fireworks. Each to there own.
    Don't suppose people will be wasting money on Christmas this year either.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'm the contentious one? I think I understand why you might get on better with animals..
    Yep, whatever cretin.

Max is a wreck !!

I’ve never had a cat or a dog - don’t dislike them and they positively love me it seems - but truth be known I’m totally ambivalent about them, never wanted to own one. But I do understand how fireworks can cause upset. Our youngest - he’s 19 now - has Down’s and an element of autism, and getting him to sleep has always been a struggle. The week around bonfire night was like saving private Ryan when we lived in London and meant a solid week of surviving on maybe 3 hours sleep a night and cuddling our son on the sofa most nights. Diwali and New Year’s Eve were also a nightmare. Luckily as he’s got older (he still has a mental age of about 4) he’s decided he loves fireworks plus he has hit the teenage mode of sleeping a lot longer than before. Last night he sat in the conservatory watching the neighbours fireworks with a big smile and laughing. I have to say it was noticeable how many fewer fireworks there were this year. So it’s not just dogs - people suffer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would class our Staffador Tess as fairly nervous, she definitely shies away from sudden movements and things she doesn't understand (loud flapping tarpaulins, for instance), but she has no concern whatsover about fireworks.
    When we got her last year, it was just before Nov 5th, and I deliberately took her outside in my arms for her to listen to fireworks, whilst secure. But she took no notice whatsoever.
    There is often no predicting the reaction you're going to get.

The neighbours to the left of us have two little dogs they turf out every morning around 7:15 and every evening around 11 to yap continuously for 20 minutes. The neighbours on the other side have two slightly larger small dogs that bark at everything that goes past. I don't know what they all did with them on Friday and Saturday but it was nice to have some peace and quiet.
    "A man of little significance"

It's funny how some animals are totally ambivalent to fireworks whilst others are petrified. Our dog at the time would lay as close to the bonfire as he could and watch the fireworks. My sister-in-law's dog was petrified - even in the house, where she would hide behind the settee, whimper and tremble!

I'm not against fireworks, but do think that there should be a finite limit to the days they are allowed to be set off, for the sake of animals.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Yep, whatever cretin.
    Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I'm not against fireworks, but do think that there should be a finite limit to the days they are allowed to be set off, for the sake of animals.
    Jack (Cocker) is a nervous wreck. The gundog gene that makes them oblivious to loud bangs seems to be missing. I dread bonfire night every year. There's a bell curve of loud bangs for a week either side of November 5th (and occasionally beyond).

I'm not against fireworks, but fail to see the attraction of window-rattling explosions let off by brain-dead idiots. All that needs to be done is ban the sale of bangers, (and those screaming rockets that end with a bang) then we can all enjoy bonfire night.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Jack (Cocker) is a nervous wreck. The gundog gene that makes them oblivious to loud bangs seems to be missing. I dread bonfire night every year. There's a bell curve of loud bangs for a week either side of November 5th (and occasionally beyond).

I'm not against fireworks, but fail to see the attraction of window-rattling explosions let off by brain-dead idiots. All that needs to be done is ban the sale of bangers, (and those screaming rockets that end with a bang) then we can all enjoy bonfire night.
    Bangers are illegal in the UK.

Yep, whatever cretin.
    That’s an objectionable insult, called anyone a mong or flid recently? A**sehole.

Yep, whatever cretin.
    G&D?

Well done.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That’s an objectionable insult, called anyone a mong or flid recently? A**sehole.
    An archaic medical term - nowadays doubt many associate it with anything other than someone being stupid.

No ideas what a flid is though...

Max is a wreck !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    An archaic medical term - nowadays doubt many associate it with anything other than someone being stupid.

Well thats ok then, like mongoloid or has that not passed your statute of limitations? Deliberately misspelt, I am sure you can figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A 'street' term for somebody who was a victim of the effects of this drug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide

Well thats ok then, like mongoloid or has that not passed your statute of limitations? Deliberately misspelt, I am sure you can figure it out
    Well it's okay for me, language evolves but, no, I wouldn't use mongoloid.

Still no idea with flid.

Edit - seen previous post. Never heard of it, obviously on the wrong streets.

Edit2 - what about lunatic, is that acceptable?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 7th November 2022 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    G&D?

Well done.
    Why?

No, not at all. More your style I presume by wading in on others discussions. I was not the one spoiling for unpleasantries.

Why?
    Really?

You have been on here for 8 years and you do that?

The G&D........

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Really?

You have been on here for 8 years and you do that?

The G&D........

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.

I only understand cretin to be a boorish idiot. It fits the bill.

I stand by what I said in my original post, being sympathetic to Max and the OP for the trauma fireworks caused. I stand by preferring dogs/cats to people, a point well proven in this thread with people wading in and trying to make out I am something I am not. If there is any shame it is those making this into something its not.

I have been on this forum a long time and have always tried to be supportive, helpful and caring. Sure I have slipped up once or twice and said a few things I have regretted. But this seems like a witch hunt.

I was not the one using profanity in the G&D, a poorly veiled attempt to cover up what they called me.

A shame. I am done.

I only understand cretin to be a boorish idiot. It fits the bill.

I stand by what I said in my original post, being sympathetic to Max and the OP for the trauma fireworks caused. I stand by preferring dogs/cats to people, a point well proven in this thread with people wading in and trying to make out I am something I am not. If there is any shame it is those making this into something its not.

I have been on this forum a long time and have always tried to be supportive, helpful and caring. Sure I have slipped up once or twice and said a few things I have regretted. But this seems like a witch hunt.

I was not the one using profanity in the G&D, a poorly veiled attempt to cover up what they called me.

A shame. I am done.
    I'm confused by your reaction to be honest. I didn't insult you, or use 'poorly veiled' profanity. A misunderstanding I guess, no harm done, let's move on.
    Last edited by M1011; 8th November 2022 at 02:45.

No, not at all. More your style I presume by wading in on others discussions. I was not the one spoiling for unpleasantries.
    That barely makes sense, but anyway I will not stay quiet when anyone uses offensive language like that. If you do not understand that, that is your issue.

That barely makes sense, but anyway I will not stay quiet when anyone uses offensive language like that. If you do not understand that, that is your issue.
    You are still arguing a point about language through your own misinterpretation. If you do not understand that then the cap fits and you wear it well. A boorish idiot.

You are still arguing a point about language through your own misinterpretation. If you do not understand that then the cap fits and you wear it well. A boorish idiot.
    You are funny, rude and stupid, but funny.

I don't think it's just Max who is a wreck anymore.

You are funny, rude and stupid, but funny.
    Well, you don’t even have funny, so you are miserable, rude and stupid. Well done.

You know what, I must be crazy arguing with an idiot, because sooner or later they will drag you down to their level, but you they will always win on grounds of experience. Thus I will leave you to it idiot.

I'm sure many of you may be pleased to know Max is back to his mischievous best and thanks for the concern.

Well, you don’t even have funny, so you are miserable, rude and stupid. Well done.

You know what, I must be crazy arguing with an idiot, because sooner or later they will drag you down to their level, but you they will always win on grounds of experience. Thus I will leave you to it idiot.
    Not very original either it seems, out of date, and I suspect a hint of angry gammon. Anyway have a lovely evening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I'm sure many of you may be pleased to know Max is back to his mischievous best and thanks for the concern.
    Glad max is ok, fireworks are not a dogs best friend, but like bikes, dogs themselves, boy racers, ramblers etc are always going to be divisive. Personally think they should be better regulated but not banned.

Craftsman
    Getting this back on topic....

My two Springers are gun dogs and have been around guns and loud bangs since they were pups. They are obviously not bothered about the bangs from firework night at all.
    The introduction to gun shot was crucial for their training and has to be done very carefully.

They are 7 and 3 now, but for both of them, when they were pups, I would take them out in the garden to play fetch and do fun stuff on Nov 5th, or any other time fireworks seemed to go off.
    We also used loud things on the TV, starter pistol / dummy launcher, etc. Working up to guns.

I do think people could do more to prepare dogs for this and currently dont.
    There was a lady in our village, that was posting videos of her dog shaking and moaning about the fireworks. It's easy to say fireworks are a menace and complain about it, but we know this day / week is coming every year and I am sure more could be done with dogs to prepare them for this. Perhaps less so with older dogs, but certainly with new pups.

Perhaps a bit of awareness on this could help many?

If you owned one or two dogs which were particularly badly affected by fireworks - would anyone ever consider booking a travelodge or other cheap hotel for a night away?

Sure - it's a (say) £50 cost, but saves your dog(s) the stress and also you resenting the hell out of your neighbours on a continuing basis?

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Getting this back on topic....

My two Springers are gun dogs and have been around guns and loud bangs since they were pups. They are obviously not bothered about the bangs from firework night at all.
    The introduction to gun shot was crucial for their training and has to be done very carefully.

They are 7 and 3 now, but for both of them, when they were pups, I would take them out in the garden to play fetch and do fun stuff on Nov 5th, or any other time fireworks seemed to go off.
    We also used loud things on the TV, starter pistol / dummy launcher, etc. Working up to guns.

I do think people could do more to prepare dogs for this and currently dont.
    There was a lady in our village, that was posting videos of her dog shaking and moaning about the fireworks. It's easy to say fireworks are a menace and complain about it, but we know this day / week is coming every year and I am sure more could be done with dogs to prepare them for this. Perhaps less so with older dogs, but certainly with new pups.

Perhaps a bit of awareness on this could help many?
    Admittedly it can be done with dogs, although I am not sure the cost should be shouldered by the dog owners. But what about horses? Or should all animal owners go through a several months long training to allow you to celebrate the torture of a human being?

btw, my dog is fine with loud bangs but I once had to help neighbours in their attempts to protect a panicked horse from himself. I didn’t know (I am not a horse person) how bad it could be.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you owned one or two dogs which were particularly badly affected by fireworks - would anyone ever consider booking a travelodge or other cheap hotel for a night away?

Sure - it's a (say) £50 cost, but saves your dog(s) the stress and also you resenting the hell out of your neighbours on a continuing basis?
    Do you of travel lodges that are bonfire bangs free?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Do you of travel lodges that are bonfire bangs free?
    Not offhand, but reckon ones on motorways might be remote enough?

I can do some investigation if you want, or is it a rhetoric question?

Max is a wreck !!

Not offhand, but reckon ones on motorways might be remote enough?

I can do some investigation if you want, or is it a rhetoric question?
    Thank you. It was rhetorical and I was surprised (as in almost made me jump) when the fireworks from Leeds Castle went over the M20 on Sunday late afternoon, mainly because it was slightly uphill and when the flare burst it looked as it was from the car in a not too distant front

Master
    There were a few fireworks around this way, but none of my pets gave a fig really. My Rottweiler pricked up his ears, and then proceeded to ignore them from that point on.

I think people’s main gripe is that fireworks go off on more than just the 5th. I think you’d need to book a week away minimum. A week in a Travelodge so you don’t resent the neighbours? I think it would have the opposite effect.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think people’s main gripe is that fireworks go off on more than just the 5th. I think you’d need to book a week away minimum. A week in a Travelodge so you don’t resent the neighbours? I think it would have the opposite effect.

Yeah, you realise of course that I wasn’t suggesting it as a week-long solution………………………

One of my dogs has been terrified for weeks now. They are still going off every night here including tonight. Anytime from 5pm to 2am in the bloody morning. He isn’t just nervous, but now has full blown panic attacks. Twice now he has fitted after shaking, frothing at the mouth and panicking for hours at a time. He hasn’t eaten properly for almost a week. Last night he fitted and we thought we had lost him. That was after four hours of loud window shaking bangs randomly going off on the park near us. He is a trained gun dog who is used to gunshot. This is like a war zone. Someone said earlier in the post that the noise on these is limited. It isn’t. Fireworks are now louder than they were years ago. We used to go to bonfires and fireworks were let off then. Now it’s starting n September and going through to new year. We should do what Italy has done. Only allow visual fireworks without the noise. They did this because of the impact on animals.

Master
    Even a professional show doesn’t last 4hrs and nothing bangs the windows these days. I feel for your dog, but the exaggeration doesn’t help your cause. Speak with neighbours.

Master
    Not very original either it seems, out of date, and I suspect a hint of angry gammon. Anyway have a lovely evening.
    Has yumma been hacked, he has recently become a bit of a troll. Very much away from usual postings IIRC.

He was already one very early on.

Under the current legislation:

1. No person shall supply, or offer or agree to supply, any category 3 firework which exceeds 120 decibels

2. (5th November) the sale of fireworks are prohibited prior to the period beginning on the 15th October and after the 10th November

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 9th November 2022 at 09:04. Reason: corrected link
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

One should never forget, it isn’t just about the effect on pets, an awful lot of wild animals out there are affected by fireworks!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems a sensible progression would be to only allow organised displays and end the retail sales.

Animal owners could then plan to distance themselves from the organised displays if they have nervous pets.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Under the current legislation:

1. No person shall supply, or offer or agree to supply, any category 3 firework which exceeds 120 decibels

2. (5th November) the sale of fireworks are prohibited prior to the period beginning on the 15th October and after the 10th November

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/3/made

R
    Cant you buy them from registered sellers outside of those times then?