closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Max is a wreck !! :(

Max is a wreck !! :(

That time of year again bangs/explosions from five until midnight for how many nights I don't know.

Max the black one is a shivering wreck, to help them both we play white noise loud all night which drives my wife mad but does help the dogs, as an aside, I have Tinitus that bad I don't really notice the white noise as it is very similar to my Tinitus.

Funny how people complain about the cost of living and then burn so much money on fireworks ? oh well I suppose live and let live.

Our dog isn’t a fan, put on Classic FM on for him last night and he went to sleep. Couldn’t quite believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The poor lad, animals don't deserve it. The idiots around my way were it seems attempting their own version of shock and awe last night. My cat was terrified. Advanced muppetry in action.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having seen reports that people were putting needles into trick or treat sweets and kids were in A&E, and the number of silly calls the fire brigade had last night, the grumpy old man in me thinks it's time to remove Halloween and bonfire night from the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Having seen reports that people were putting needles into trick or treat sweets and kids were in A&E, and the number of silly calls the fire brigade had last night, the grumpy old man in me thinks it's time to remove Halloween and bonfire night from the calendar.
    WT actual F??????

As an aside, our cat was attempting to default to his usual stress-induced behaviour of weeing behind the television! I've had more than enough of bloody fireworks, and would support a move to organised events only with constraints in terms of timing and longevity.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 6th November 2022 at 12:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve tried different methods to help my dog,sad to say non work.She runs around in a right state.

Perhaps they should restrict the sale/use of fireworks to a few days a year and I'd be happy to see a maximum decibel setting (some people near us had some on Friday so loud that we put the subtitles on the TV!), but banning them because animals don't like them does seem rather killjoy-ish.

Bonfire night has been fun for most people for 400 years, how did they cope before?

We don't have a dog, but we did have one that was very nervous years ago and we just dealt with it, but they do seem to be louder and occur at all times of the year nowadays.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th November 2022 at 12:09.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Likewise for Sid👎 I hate seeing him so terrified. We bought him a “thunder shirt” which squeezes his body and seems to help. We turn the telly up draw all the curtains and stick his bed in a corner which again seems to help..

My wife has been down to the field this morning and there skids all around the field where the horses have been running around in panic.

I hate fireworks👎👎

Imagine how terrifying it must /e for the animals in the Ukrain👎👎

Strange how different dogs can be. My cavalier had no issues. Over the last two weeks we seem to have had a constant background noise of fireworks with Dirwali then Bonfire Night. The occasional loud bang has made him bark but that is about it. I took him a walk last night and it was pretty loud but he wasn't bothered in the slightest and was curious when he saw a few of them.

I've never really understood the attraction of bonfire night. Last thing I'd want to be doing on a cold, damp night is standing outside getting wet whilst setting fire to my own cash in my back garden, but it seems everyone is very keen to do this. I've definitely noticed over recent years with both Halloween and Bonfire Night, there seems to be more competition with your neighbour to put more up outside your house/make your display bigger.

Our 2 were not great last night also. Thunder shirts on, TV turned up and all together on the sofa.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Very noticeable here last night that it was much quieter than the usual noise of fireworks going off, must be the be cost of living plus the extortionate cost of fireworks I guess.
    I do sympathize with pet owners though!
    Last year we were looking after a friends dog. I was out walking it when a loud explosion went off nearby causing the dog to run between my legs, wrapping the lead round my ankle. Because the dog bolted so fast he pulled or tripped me over too causing me to shred my knee and trousers!
    Yes, I agree ban the things😡

did not hear a single firework, must be too poor where i live lol

I think a few councils have replaced fireworks displays with laser light shows, which I think is a fantastic idea. Far kinder to pets, the environment and no fire risk.

Gary

Master
    I give my dog a Valium tablet. It doesn’t calm her completely, the really loud fireworks still make her jump, but it definitely helps.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Our previous spaniel would sit in the garden watching them, and we used to take him to the local pub display each year. I think he was wondering why there where so many bangs and nothing to pick up. Our present spaniel didn't mind them when younger, but the last couple of years has been nervous when they are really loud.
    I was against a ban on sales to the public for many years, but the modern fireworks available to the public seem a lot louder these days than they were in my youth, and having seen some of the scenes of people firing them at the police like improvised weapons I think now is the time.
    Also it seems more and more fireworks are being let off on other days of the year, so it's not just Guy Fawkes night these days.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    That time of year again bangs/explosions from five until midnight for how many nights I don't know.

Max the black one is a shivering wreck, to help them both we play white noise loud all night which drives my wife mad but does help the dogs, as an aside, I have Tinitus that bad I don't really notice the white noise as it is very similar to my Tinitus.

Funny how people complain about the cost of living and then burn so much money on fireworks ? oh well I suppose live and let live.
    Dogs aren't cheap either.

I can understand a 1am finish for New Year celebrations but why Diwali too, I wonder?

One of the (very few) positive characteristics of out two beagles is that are seemingly just not bothered at all about fireworks.
    I took them out for a walk last night and the bangs and flashes were not enough to distract them from their usual sniffing out of of any discarded food or other crap - whether edible or not - they can find to eat...

My dog George doesn’t like them and he barks and isn’t happy, but not too bad, when we had a Golden Retriever some years ago it was awful to see, really really scared and tried to get the smallest space he could find, we had to sedate him in the end, I really think they should be available only to licence holders and at well publicised events only, they are explosives at the end of the day, I saw some TicToks this morning, one was a bunch of people shooting rockets at some Police cars, another was a rocket with a glass Corona bottle over the top of it and another was a garden display gone wrong. Madness.

All my dogs and cats are fine except “Scooby Doo” here. After so many years shaking on my lap I recently bought this calming snood thing from B&M for £2 and it has drastically improved his nerves.

Doesn’t elimate but helps reduce the anxiety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    We use this for ours

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Sileo-01-mg...r-dogs/c35581/

Makes a massive difference, he is far more chilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Dogs aren't cheap either.
    Neither are partners, male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Neither are partners, male or female.
    Hardly relevant though shouldn't be a net cost.

I do feel sorry for highly strung dogs that suffer this time of the year.

We went to a firework party at my eldest son's last night. I still love it as I did when I was a nipper when we had a guy Fawkes effigy we burned on the bonfire.

I took Dot out last night and there were pretty loud explosions all around but she takes no notice. FWIW neither of our BT's have cared about fireworks.

Cheers,
    Neil.

We spend money on watches (cars, pets, etc.), others spend money on fireworks, that's life. Be thankful fireworks are only a few nights a year.

Master
    Hardly relevant though shouldn't be a net cost.
    Comparing the cost of keeping a dog, is hardly comparable with the cost of fireworks either..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Comparing the cost of keeping a dog, is hardly comparable with the cost of fireworks either..
    True dogs are way more expensive.

People moaning that others complain about the cost of living yet they can afford fireworks. Same goes for cats and dogs.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 6th November 2022 at 16:20.

Master
    True dogs are way more expensive.

People are moaning that others complain about the cost of living yet they can afford fireworks. Same goes for cats and dogs.
    We keep a dog for its life, fireworks last 5 minutes.

Pretty sure your hatred of dogs has been documented on here before.

We keep a dog for its life, fireworks last 5 minutes.

Pretty sure your hatred of dogs has been documented on here before.
    Well it's a stupid argument the cost of fireworks. People who are supposedly 'hard-up' waste money on all sorts. Get over it.

A few nights and they're gone. Dogs are sh#tting on our pavements and cats in my garden their entire life.

And I don't hate dogs, maybe some of the stupid, entitled owners.

I love cats and dogs!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I like Dogs and fireworks, other stuff too but not for this thread, i was fortunate that my English Bull Terrier wasnt fussed at all. A few noddies go berserk in November and we have to put up with bad Dog owners all year, pathways,tree hangers et all. No possible solution to please all,and neither is going to be banned.

Master
    Fireworks now have maximum noise limit's which they didn't years ago.
    I'm not a fan of people have a display at home as most don't have the safety distance in the garden stipulated on the fireworks.
    My dog loves them providing he can see them, most of our village moan constantly about their dog and fireworks this time of year but don't mention the army having firing practice or when it thunders even through both are loud.
    Me I've worked in the industry for over a decade so my personal view is a little skewed.

As for drones, currently the number of companies able to put on a show as good as a small towns firework display is small, and so the cost is fairly high, the sheer number of drones required will limit the expansion for a while.

Master
    Well it's a stupid argument the cost of fireworks. People who are supposedly 'hard-up' waste money on all sorts. Get over it.

A few nights and they're gone. Dogs are sh#tting on our pavements and cats in my garden their entire life.

And I don't hate dogs, maybe some of the stupid, entitled owners.
    You should get a dog….then the cats won’t crap in your garden..😈

You should get a dog….then the cats won’t crap in your garden..😈
    True that.

Interestingly(?) learnt the other day that there’s vat on cats and dogs but not pet rabbits because they’re classified as food.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Fireworks now have maximum noise limit's which they didn't years ago.
    I'm not a fan of people have a display at home as most don't have the safety distance in the garden stipulated on the fireworks.
    I guess we should be thankful to have the regulation we do. I remember seeing a news article from the US where a teen lit a mortar firework in another teens hands. The type of professional firework that needs a fuse attached, which they hadn't done. Both said goodbye to their eyesight and hands. Horrific.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems bazaar that the public can buy fireworks give all the other safety stuff that we have to live with.

Local Facebook groups always turn into a battle ground at this time of years with animal owners doing battle with firework fans.

I just wonder how they deal with thunder storms.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Quite apart from the fact that thunderstorms are a natural phenomena that we have no control over, and fireworks are set off on purpose by brain dead muppets.

I appreciate the concern for nervous cats and dogs, but give a thought to all the other creatures that are affected by fireworks: other pets, wildlife, cattle, sheep, horses, etc. I've seen the effects on all three of the latter and it's been sickening.

This the result of a firework-panicked horse hitting a car.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I appreciate the concern for nervous cats and dogs, but give a thought to all the other creatures that are affected by fireworks: other pets, wildlife, cattle, sheep, horses, etc. I've seen the effects on all three of the latter and it's been sickening.

This the result of a firework-panicked horse hitting a car.

R
    Horrible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Our dog is not bothered by thunderstorms but gets affected by fireworks the minute he hears the noise.

I agree with each to their own, I just wish we could restrict fireworks to certain nights, then we know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Horrible.
    I saw the horse's injuries, horrific doesn't come close.

R

R
    I shudder to think, must be unbelievably hard to deal with.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 6th November 2022 at 18:52.

R
    Wow quite the impact, were the driver and passengers if any OK?

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Westie is 15 now and quite deaf so in the house it’s no bother now.

We use the SettleMe tablets from Viovet and they do the trick. We still crate him (10 year old anxious dachshund) as that’s his safe place, but definitely helped by the tablets.

I really hate the distress Fireworks cause to animals. This is why I prefer animals to people. So sad to see those we love who we cannot make it understood they are safe. It has been weeks now due to Diwali, Halloween and Guy Fawkes night. I even feel for the badgers, foxes, hedgehogs and other wildlife. A pointless self gratification of the inconsiderate wasters.

I just hope a stray firework doesn’t make it onto our plastic grass.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I really hate the distress Fireworks cause to animals. This is why I prefer animals to people.
    You prefer animals to people, because animals are distressed by fireworks? Huh?

There's an official display in our village every year that is just unneccessarily loud. Surely it's more in the visuals, and no need for weapons-grade percussion. As soon as it started all the local dogs were barking and howling. lots of social posts about dogs that have bolted We ought to be able to put on a show without the collateral damage.