Berrys Nottingham today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Berrys Nottingham today

Bet you it’s still going to be there after Christmas

Only £50k more than I sold mine for.

I take it you'd have snapped that up if new? It sounds like it's the pre-owned bit that surprises you.

It is a tad toppy, that's 5167R money.

Disappointing that they're out on the date - I mean, last month was 31 days after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That is very probably the formula they use, Tony !

Blog Entries
    Only 43K more than I sold mine for.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    That is very probably the formula they use, Tony !
    Grrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Only 43K more than I sold mine for.
    Can we split the £7k?

I sold mine ironically to a buyer in Nottingham for £10.5k about 8 years ago. Was 6 weeks old and I bought from new in Hong Kong. Sold via SC

Me too Tony!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Me too Tony!

And me but I’m not bitter, much.

Master
    I see Lunns,Belfast have a 5065 A in the window for 50K

Bought mine under retail and sold for £20k. I thought I did well at the time for a watch that I soon realised, for me, was a terrible buy. Too lightweight for a sports watch and finishing no better than a watch that should cost a quarter of the retail price. Up there with the Daytona for me as the most overrated watch and just shows how this hobby is now more about fashion than the quality of the products on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Bought mine under retail and sold for £20k. I thought I did well at the time for a watch that I soon realised, for me, was a terrible buy. Too lightweight for a sports watch and finishing no better than a watch that should cost a quarter of the retail price. Up there with the Daytona for me as the most overrated watch and just shows how this hobby is now more about fashion than the quality of the products on offer.
    Also shows how subjective this hobby is, because I rate the Aquanaut as a near-perfect watch

Master
    Also shows how subjective this hobby is, because I rate the Aquanaut as a near-perfect watch
    Really?! 😳
    I think it’s a god awful soap bar of a watch that appeals almost purely because of the branding; I appreciate that’s something you could level at a lot of watches, but I just don’t get it with the PP.
    They make some lovely watches, but this isn’t one of them for me and I think you’d need your head examining to spend the above sort of money on one.

Selling my Aquanaut (5165A) is my biggest watch regret.

Light, discreet, sporty. Beautiful movement. What’s not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Really?! 😳
    I think it’s a god awful soap bar of a watch that appeals almost purely because of the branding; I appreciate that’s something you could level at a lot of watches, but I just don’t get it with the PP.
    They make some lovely watches, but this isn’t one of them for me and I think you’d need your head examining to spend the above sort of money on one.
    Macca wears an Aquanaut - just saying

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree. It's pretty much the only thing in the Patek catalogue I could see myself buying (in a world where stuff was on shelves). In a world where everything was available, I think this would be the next one to aim for.

On that topic, I took a look across the 'big 4' (trinity+lange) the other day and couldn't find one single model with halfway decent water resistance (i.e. not 30m) that was possible to even get on a list for. A bit absurd really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I agree. It's pretty much the only thing in the Patek catalogue I could see myself buying (in a world where stuff was on shelves). In a world where everything was available, I think this would be the next one to aim for.

On that topic, I took a look across the 'big 4' (trinity+lange) the other day and couldn't find one single model with halfway decent water resistance (i.e. not 30m) that was possible to even get on a list for. A bit absurd really.
    Can’t you get a VC 4500V - which has 150m wrt. The Patek - I felt was a little underwhelming and I typically wore something else if I wanted a simple 3 hander - and my rule is - “ if it stays on the box it gets chucked out the box “

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th November 2022 at 18:26.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will do you a favour and sell mine for 5k cheaper lol

Can’t you get a VC 4500V - which has 150m wrt. The Patek - I felt was a little underwhelming and I typically wore something else if I wanted a simple 3 hander - and my rule is - “ if it stays on the box it gets chucked out the box “

https://forum.tz-uk.com/blob:https:/...f-cb0c8fe75e45
    When I spoke to the Vacheron boutique earlier in the year about a Fifty Six (which I like but again the WR is disparaging) the Overseas list was closed. Not sure if that's changed since. I did notice the one on Sales Corner, nice looking watch.

p.s. I can't seem to get your second link to work

I traded for my Breguet which in every way is a better watch in my eye but yes no doubting that wearing the PP made me feel good.

Craftsman
    57 k more than I sold mine for with a steel bracelet .. bought off the window .

Craftsman
    It was that or a Franc Muller … at least I got my money back .

Never sell a Patrick Philip
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    This is going on my grave stone.

2006.... I bought a RG Calatrava 5127R for £10k'ish

2011.... sold it for about £10.5k'ish

Now.... I've seen em for £25k'ish

Ho-Hum..!

IMG_0095-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Master
    Best way to look at it, you got paid £500 to wear it for 5 years!

I've never handled one and have heard it's underwhelming but I still think the Aquanaut is one of the best looking watches around. If I could have the travel time in steel I'd be very happy.

Not hugely into the jumbo white gold models in green and blue, or the expensive chronograph version, but the regular bread and butter ones look fantastic.

Master

Get this instead for 10% of the price, comes with both OEM steel bracelet and rubber. Also 150m water resistance and anti-magnetic faraday cage so a proper sports watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've never handled one and have heard it's underwhelming but I still think the Aquanaut is one of the best looking watches around. If I could have the travel time in steel I'd be very happy.

Not hugely into the jumbo white gold models in green and blue, or the expensive chronograph version, but the regular bread and butter ones look fantastic.
    Can you travel back in time and PM me in 2017? I had one in my hands and offered to bring it back from US if buyer paid the import tax/duty. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-5164A-closed. That watch haunts me as the dealer offered to knock a few hundred dollars off if I’d have bought it on the day.

^ Damn, I missed that... That's about the time I went on my AD's waiting list (and still waiting).

Can you travel back in time and PM me in 2017? I had one in my hands and offered to bring it back from US if buyer paid the import tax/duty. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-5164A-closed. That watch haunts me as the dealer offered to knock a few hundred dollars off if I’d have bought it on the day.
    I remember seeing that at the time but 5 years ago my watch collection was very different and I was dead set on the time/date only version not realising how small it would wear on me.

If that was today I would bite your hand off. I was on the list for the time only version and got to second in the queue before my AD gave up their status and broke my heart.

Craftsman
    This watch was my achievable grail when I went on the list nearly 4 years ago, but price rises and the demand means it may always remain as something that I will never get. I won’t give up hope though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    This watch was my achievable grail when I went on the list nearly 4 years ago, but price rises and the demand means it may always remain as something that I will never get. I won’t give up hope though
    Well done for getting on the list, Mallorys in bath gave me a flat NO even though I had history with them, it’s a shame the wrong people are getting these watches

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

Get this instead for 10% of the price, comes with both OEM steel bracelet and rubber. Also 150m water resistance and anti-magnetic faraday cage so a proper sports watch.
    This is a great watch. Always wanted one but not often seen…

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    A Partick Phistle?

I probably just assume I'll never be in the market for a watch costing £5K (I'm glad I bought some of my watches when I did and I still wish I'd bought that DB6 for £5K in the 1980s!) let alone £65K, but when I've seen PPs I've never felt I could see why they cost as much as they do.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 12th November 2022 at 16:13.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master

PP Aquanaut pre-owned!

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    This is a great watch. Always wanted one but not often seen…

Thanks, there is a nice one on subdial at the moment. IWC are also bring back the integrated ingenuir next year so one to look out for.

It’s not such a well known fact, but the integrated ingenuir was second of its type design after the Royal Oak by Gerald Genta and the same year as the Nautilus. So in my mind, it sits higher than the overseas and others in terms of design authenticity. Though obviously the overseas is a better watch in terms of finishing etc
    Last edited by ac11111; 13th November 2022 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Thanks, there is a nice one on subdial at the moment. IWC are also bring back the integrated ingenuir next year so one to look out for.

It’s not such a well known fact, but the integrated ingenuir was second of its type design after the Royal Oak by Gerald Genta and the same year as the Nautilus. So in my mind, it sits higher than the overseas and others in terms of design authenticity. Though obviously the overseas is a better watch in terms of finishing etc
    Actually the GP Laureato came before the Ingenieur and Nautilus also but after the AP Royal Oak.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Actually the GP Laureato came before the Ingenieur and Nautilus also but after the AP Royal Oak.
    Was referring to the GG designed watches, where as Laureato is a fine watch but the designer of that was inspired by GGs work on the RO

I love these aquanauts. That one is only 15k more than those that i saw for sale today in burlington arcade and the royal arcade lol

Craftsman
    An interesting aside to this thread.

I was speaking to a member of staff at the same Jewellers the other week , PP watches came up in the conversation.

They now have a policy in place that if you are lucky enough to be contacted about the PP watch you ordered ages ago ….

Berry’s now insist on the customer paying list price for the watch AND purchasing further goods so the total value spent equals the current grey market price of the watch.

I’m assuming if you refuse they just contact the next customer on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

I was speaking to a member of staff at the same Jewellers the other week , PP watches came up in the conversation.

They now have a policy in place that if you are lucky enough to be contacted about the PP watch you ordered ages ago ….

Berry’s now insist on the customer paying list price for the watch AND purchasing further goods so the total value spent equals the current grey market price of the watch.

Heard of someone this week who bought 6 Tudors and a DateJust of some configuration and magically got a SS BLRO. All within 9 months. Would have been cheaper to buy the BLRO grey if you assume a £1k loss per Tudor and ignore the DateJust.

This wasn't Berrys but many ADs seem to be slicing the same pie a few different ways.

Heard of someone this week who bought 6 Tudors and a DateJust of some configuration and magically got a SS BLRO. All within 9 months. Would have been cheaper to buy the BLRO grey if you assume a £1k loss per Tudor and ignore the DateJust.

This wasn't Berrys but many ADs seem to be slicing the same pie a few different ways.
    They only do it 'cos folks are willing to stump up the cash.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I sold mine ironically to a buyer in Nottingham for £10.5k about 8 years ago. Was 6 weeks old and I bought from new in Hong Kong. Sold via SC
    You should never sell a PP. Gift it to your kids if necessary, but never ever bloody sell it.

Master
    Rarely worn but its the last watch id ever sell.(probably!)
    Its the most comfortable, the lightest, and other than watch forum nerds nobody gives it a second glance.

'OK no problem, I'll take another 2 Aquanauts then!'

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You should never sell a PP. Gift it to your kids if necessary, but never ever bloody sell it.
    It was to go towards paying expensive medical bills for my kid

I’m calling bullshit on that. I reckon they’d lose their AD status with Patek if they were to try it.

I’m calling bullshit on that. I reckon they’d lose their AD status with Patek if they were to try it.
    I've heard things from a Berry's customer who I trust which makes me believe this. It would also rank very far down on the list of issues with PP there.

I've heard things from a Berry's customer who I trust which makes me believe this. It would also rank very far down on the list of issues with PP there.
    Pragnell (Mount Street) are especially well known for this too….to get anything PP you’re asked (coerced) to buy jewellery you didn’t know you wanted too……

Master
    I bought three PP's from Berrys in 2018. Circa £90K spend.
    Jan 2022 asked for another and was told the 'Director' wanted existing Aquanaut and Nautilus owners to buy others from the collection ie no Aquanauts or Nautilus.
    I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this were true just not documented by email etc ..
    It will be an unwritten rule.

Disgraceful. PP have to approve every buyer according to my contact at Boodles, btw, so they’re seemingly a lot more interested than the likes of Rolex (hence my scepticism).