closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone increasingly just looking at their mobile phone to check the time?

Red face Anyone increasingly just looking at their mobile phone to check the time?

...instead of their watch? Leaving the watch to become just an 'accessory'? :)

Or indeed - looking at their computer monitor at home or work.

There will of course always be situations where you don't have your mobile phone with you, but in general, is this happening a lot more?

Craftsman
    Not here. Much quicker to glance at my watch than retrieve a phone from a pocket or bag, press on and off again. I will use laptop to check and set a watch.

Not for me. Although I do for the date!

Master
    Blog Entries
    No,but I don’t switch my phone on very often.

Not here
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    So much easier to check your wrist, for me anyway. Do for the date as I normally wear no date watches.

I miss the date function but prefer without.

Master
    So mobiles tell the time too!

Master
    Not me. Always look at my watch.

Option 1: Remove phone from map pocket on trouser leg. Open phone case. Press button to wake phone screen. Read time. Press button to turn phone off. Close case. Return phone to map pocket.

Option 2: Glance at wrist.

Hmmm...

Nope, even if I'm looking at my phone or laptop with the time displayed in the corner I still have the habit to glance at my wristwatch if I want to know the time.

Never, would be like using a pocket watch and I'm happier using a wrist watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Nope, even if I'm looking at my phone or laptop with the time displayed in the corner I still have the habit to glance at my wristwatch if I want to know the time.
    +1. I almost make a point of looking at my watch.

Master
    No, my mobile phones stay outside in lockers, so good excuse to enjoy wearing my watches.

No, I've always done it.

There’s a large section of the population - let’s say nearly anyone under 30 - who seem to spend every moment glued to their smartphone, never taking a minute to glance at or interact with the real world around them. For these people I’m sure a wristwatch is completely pointless, unless it’s for flexing on Snapchat, Facebook or instagram - happily I’m a miserable old git who is slightly outside that demographic, with 50+ years of muscle memory that makes me look at my wrist for the time regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    +1, strange really but I never think to check the time on the phone even if i'm using it, but I suppose looking at my watch is just the norm/habit.

Master
    Nope, old habits die hard, watch first, even in the car although the time is displayed in two places.

Grand Master
    Never.

Mobile phone is usually tucked away in a pocket or plugged in on my desk, it doesn’t follow me around and I’ve never got into the habit if carrying it everywhere. Computer display is always around 10 minutes fast for some reason.

I never go anywhere without a watch and that’s what I use for telling the time. even when DIYing or gyming I wear the trusty old Casio F91.

As for those Apple watch things, I wouldn’t be seen dead wearing one.

This topic feels like time-travel to the late 90s, when I recall colleagues disparagingly dismissing wearing a watch because they could look at their 'phones instead. It was a kind of humblebrag, and gave them the chance to wave the latest toy around for all to see.
    Like others ITT I thought it was daft then and still do now - way easier to glance at your wrist, and now it's the old-school wristwatch that's the statement piece.

I'm clearly the ''odd one out'', I no longer have to go into an office or out visiting clients - watches are for sunny weekends and holidays, nor do I wear jewellery (rings bangles or necklet), my phone is my calendar, camera, watch, alarm, iplayer etc, it syncs with my laptop, tablet and TV. Things change, once upon a time I only had my Submariner and it was worn 24/7, simpler times.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    I use my Fitbit to check what day it is. Otherwise use watch for time and date.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    No because it will never please me as much as looking down at one of my watches

Master
    Nope.

Nope too

I've actually come the opposite way. Have been watch-free for a little while, personal preference. But I find myself missing it and find fumbling for a phone cumbersome and awkward. The watch is making a return once I set up this weekend.

Youngsters tend to look at the phone, most can't tell the time on an analogue watch🤣
    My Grandson (16yrs) has a collection of watches but I never see him wearing one, he's always glued to his phone.

Nope, never have and never will. 47 next week, guess it's been ingrained. Even if my phone's in my right hand in use, I'll still look at my left wrist to check the time. Conditioning maybe, but that's how I prefer it. Horses for courses…

Never use phone for the time. That said, I'll rarely check my watch when I'm working at my PC (95% of the time I'm working), I'll just glance to the bottom-right. I do check my watch regularly at other times of the day (especially if bored during meetings), and at night.

Not me. I check the time on my watch….and then check my phone to see how accurate my watch is

Nope

I'll never be addicted to a black mirror

No

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

OMG awks, I use my phone all the time to do everything, watches are like so last century! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    Not me. I check the time on my watch….and then check my phone to see how accurate my watch is
    Same here.

If I’m at my desk I’ll look at the computer screen. If my watch is under a cuff and I’m carrying my phone, I’ll look at my phone. Other times, I’ll look at my watch.

Honestly, you don’t need to feel guilty bout it

I find it interesting that the responses so far mention either looking at IT or watches for a time check, but not clocks. I have a couple of analogue wall clocks in the office as it is easy to quickly glance at one, and less obvious during meetings that need wrapping up. At home most rooms have multiple mantle and/or wall clocks due to being an inveterate collector, but most are also talking points particularly the Nixies.

For me the watches are primarily for out and about, and the only time that a smartphone is used for a time check is to access Emerald Time for accurately setting a manually adjusted timepiece.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Just to compare if my automatic is in the correct time!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I can't be bothered with all that phone rigmarole, just a quick look at the wrist - couldn't be simpler.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I do exactly the same !!

Of course. I'm using my phone often anyway, so it's often in the hand or on the table. And unlike others in here I haven't felt the need to put a flip case on a phone (why in 2022!?) and always-on-display is a thing for practically all modern phones.

I can enjoy a watch without having to use it exclusively when telling the time. I no doubt use my phone more often than my watch for telling the time.

Honestly, I wear a watch because I like to wear a watch, I like the idea of a little machine powered by my movement. Boil it down and in today's modern world with the exact time everywhere we look, mechanical watches are obsolete. A nice mechanical watch is little more than man jewellery these days, anyone who says differently is kidding themselves.

Craftsman
    The thing I really hate is the date I hate setting the date when I change watch.

I have started to almost not wear a watch with a date unless it’s a battery or is close just by chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Not here. Much quicker to glance at my watch than retrieve a phone from a pocket or bag, press on and off again. I will use laptop to check and set a watch.
    Same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Honestly, I wear a watch because I like to wear a watch, I like the idea of a little machine powered by my movement. Boil it down and in today's modern world with the exact time everywhere we look, mechanical watches are obsolete. A nice mechanical watch is little more than man jewellery these days, anyone who says differently is kidding themselves.
    Not kidding myself.

I very rarely carry a phone so if I want to know the time......
    Cheers,
    Neil.

No.

Simon

Journeyman
    Watch for actually knowing the time.

Analogue goes into the brain easily, while when I check the time on a computer or phone in digital form I find I have to check it again moments later as it hasn't registered properly !