closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor P01

Craftsman

Tudor P01

I’m aware that there’s not much love for the P01 in the wider watch community but I for one absolutely love mine. I’ve considered selling it on a number of occasions but every time I put it on my wrist I end up falling in love with it again !
    I know it’s a bit ugly and the lug to lug width is ridiculous but so many ‘Samey’ offerings out there and with such a divided opinion I reckon this watch could potentially become quite collectible in years to come.
    I’d be interested in hearing others thoughts ???

I have one as part of a larger collection.
    It doesn’t get a great deal of wrist time, but I do like the look of it.
    Can’t stand the hybrid straps though. I find the deployant very uncomfortable. Same also with the BB Ceramic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I have one as part of a larger collection.
    It doesn’t get a great deal of wrist time, but I do like the look of it.
    Can’t stand the hybrid straps though. I find the deployant very uncomfortable. Same also with the BB Ceramic.
    I’ve seen a few modded straps and even a bracelet but it’s a shame Tudor didn’t offer another combination from the factory. Glad to hear that I’m not the only one who likes this model. Give it 20 years and collectors will be all over them 😁

Journeyman
    I think it will become collectable if Tudor stops making them in the next few years.
    As I understand it they were hard to get hold of at first, but now you can find one from an AD quite easily.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info. Some really interesting variations there.

It's definitely one that looks great on a variety of straps. Proper quirk factor too.

It's the sort of thing I think I'd like, but would almost inevitably not wear.

Great to see others' pictures of it though!

I love mine. It is certainly different. If people are still collecting watches in another 50 years, it will be the most sought after Tudor then.

Gorgeous watch, that somehow looks vintage without trying too hard. I had one and know all too well about the strap limitations. If only tudor would make a decent bracelet and clasp.
    Also with all tudors, i kinda find the snowflake hands a bit incongruous, i know it's their signature style, but against dot markers, it doesn't make sense. The P01 is still a great watch and really has no competition.

I don’t own one but appreciate it’s slightly usual look. Much more interesting than another sub-alike.

My old one on a Watchgecko bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    ........Give it 20 years and collectors will be all over them 
    +1. I also think the price will start rising the day they get discontinued.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post

I like that, it’s a different enough watch to be interesting but I do generally prefer watches on bracelets.

Master
    I got mine as a gift although I wouldn’t have thought of getting this model for myself. Now I’m used to it I really like it, the chunky style feels good. I usually only wear bracelets as I just prefer them but the leather deployant on this is really great and I wear it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

How much of a ball ache was it to fit that bracelet as it looks great ?

This was my favourite image of the watch.

In fact looking back at my Imgur library I am starting to wonder whether to pick one up again. It has a superbly stark and toolish case, fully brushed and finished to a very exacting standard. The retro dial is probably one of Tudors best.

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    How much of a ball ache was it to fit that bracelet as it looks great ?
    The stock strap comes off fairly easily but that's only the start!!

It took quite some time as the straight end links of the bracelet needed to be filed down even though it was the correct 20mm fitment. The fit was very snug and it needed a lot of coaxing in with the spring bar tool!

Managed it without scratching but then promptly marked the bezel on it's next outing!!

Craftsman
    The stock strap comes off fairly easily but that's only the start!!

It took quite some time as the straight end links of the bracelet needed to be filed down even though it was the correct 20mm fitment. The fit was very snug and it needed a lot of coaxing in with the spring bar tool!

Managed it without scratching but then promptly marked the bezel on it's next outing!!
    Good to know its doable but fear that my rudimentary filing skills might not be quite up to the job without irrevocably damaging something in the process !!

I saw one of these for the first time tonight and thought it was absolutely stunning.

Have a look on Instagram at Phil Toledano's one (he is misterenthusiast there).
    He aged one 30 years in 5 days, baked the dial, scratched the case up, put it on a very ragged Nato. It looks great.
    I am not sure how to link Insta photos here, but it is worth a look

(I just did a screen cap and rehosted it!)

That's dedication to a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

Brave man!

As somebody that doesn't usually like falsely/purposely beat up watches and attempts at dial ageing(usually on Seikos), that does look brilliant! Fair play.

That does look good!

Journeyman
    I wonder what Tudor would say if it was sent in for a service!

There’s something about these I really like - not sure I’d spend the cash on one, but there’s something unique about the design, sort of retro without being derivative. So many watches are a variation on a theme - not just sub a likes, the whole reissue thing - whereas the PO1 stands alone. I’ve always thought the dial is perfect - the only thing I don’t really like is the 4 o’clock crown - reminds me of all the SKX’s I flipped over the years before realising they were cheap and nasty with horrendous timekeeping (sacrilege perhaps but my opinion)!

Quote Originally Posted by nmbnmb View Post
    I wonder what Tudor would say if it was sent in for a service!
    They would want to re-polish the case or insist on a new one. Either way that watch will never see an official Rolex repairer.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    I’d love to see a hybrid of this and the Black Bay Pro, with their GMT movement - that would be a really unique watch!

Master
    Brave man doing that to a new watch.

Craftsman
    I’m not really in to falsely ageing things, but that does look good. I’ve never really liked the P01 but some of these pictures are changing my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Brave man doing that to a new watch.
    Trouble is it doesn’t look old imho - just like somebody has taken a dremel and sandpaper to it. There’s wabi sabi, and there’s destroyed, and that just looks destroyed!

I dismissed the P01 when it came out but this thread has piqued my interest. I'm trying one out this week. The Watchgecko bracelet above looks a surprisingly good match and fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Trouble is it doesn’t look old imho - just like somebody has taken a dremel and sandpaper to it. There’s wabi sabi, and there’s destroyed, and that just looks destroyed!

Couldn’t disagree more. I actually love it, and it’s the first time this watch has appealed to me in the slightest.

If it came on a bracelet, then I’d have bought one - but it looked and felt odd on the strap, at least on my wrist
    It's just a matter of time...

I got one as a 50th present from the wife so its a keeper.

Its a great size and has an impressive power reserve. I really like it.

Its lovely on the rubber strap but I wanted to swim in mine so did the bracelet hack on it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Couldn’t disagree more. I actually love it, and it’s the first time this watch has appealed to me in the slightest.
    Same, it was the knackered one that made me look twice at the P01.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I got one as a 50th present from the wife so its a keeper.

Its a great size and has an impressive power reserve. I really like it.

Its lovely on the rubber strap but I wanted to swim in mine so did the bracelet hack on it.

What bracelet is that?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What bracelet is that?
    Its a replica Tudor bracelet from Etsy. I didn't have the balls to butcher an OEM one so £55 seemed worth a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

I don’t think I have the heart to do it but it does look great. I might try a little watered down version.

Master

Tudor P01

There is one of these on eBay currently at £1800 ending at 10.00am Does it belong to anybody on here? Fighting the urge !!
    Sold for £1850 in the end.

I might have to pick a used one up. Super cool .. in my book anyway.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 9th December 2022 at 12:56.

The P01 always reminds me of the Seiko 6105 8110. Which I guess is not a bad thing....

I tried a P01 this week, it wore much slimmer than I was expecting given its 14.5mm thickness. I’m mulling it over. I did add my name for the FXD and 39mm though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It is so peculiar that cannot pass unnoticed, I am thinking trying one these days and plausibly add one in the collection in 2023. My only worry is whether it wears way too large on my small wrist due to the extended lugs, but overall, with this shape I would be surprised if it won't become collectable within a few years. Regardless collectability though, is good to have one in the collection for the sake of diversifying.

The beaten up one gets my vote 100%. Very cool..

Master
    I tried one on today at the cribbs Tudor shop. Very nice, even on my mid size 7.5inch wrist.

Master
    These seem extremely good value on the used market. I was watching one on eBay over the weekend that went for £1750.
    I wish my wrist could pull it off, but the lug to lug just doesn’t work for me, as you can see below.

If i could get away with wearing one, I’d be snapping a pre-owned one up for sure.

Andy.

If I could find one for £1700 I would snap it up!
    (Avoiding eBay)
    These have been growing on me for a while now

The one on eBay that sold for £1700 was battered , the next cheapest which sold yesterday was £2150 and included a black custom made meta Catharina strap very very rare , I know because it was my listing and the watch is mint condition

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    The one on eBay that sold for £1700 was battered , the next cheapest which sold yesterday was £2150 and included a black custom made meta Catharina strap very very rare , I know because it was my listing and the watch is mint condition
    Yeah, I saw that listing at laughed at the strap description. The watch looked nice though:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that listing at laughed at the strap description. The watch looked nice though:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You didn’t like the strap? I only described what it was believe me it wasn’t cheap

Master

Tudor P01

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    You didn’t like the strap? I only described what it was believe me it wasn’t cheap
    I thought it was a funny sales pitch saying that it was from Russian Reindeer that was source from a shipwreck. There was more info on the strap than the watch. They are nice watches though . I may treat myself in the next year:)

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 6th March 2023 at 20:45.