closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a watch that says, 'I'm gold. Do you understand? GOLD.'

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I can't recall ever looking at a gold Daytona and thinking - I'll bet it's the bracelet that makes it expensive.

shouldn't your comment really be that you just don't want a bracelet as opposed to a bracelet making a watch too expensive?
    Surely the more gold used the more expensive the gold watch?
    A head only gold watch will be cheaper than one with a gold bracelet. (Yes there a number of factors that come in to play here but as a rule of thumb it works)

Master
    IMG_0095-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I can't recall ever looking at a gold Daytona and thinking - I'll bet it's the bracelet that makes it expensive.

shouldn't your comment really be that you just don't want a bracelet as opposed to a bracelet making a watch too expensive?
    1 The present-day price of gold means that a gold bracelet increases the price of a gold watch a lot.
    2 The price of gold also means that a lot of second-hand gold watches - the only ones I can afford - that came into this world on a bracelet no longer have one, because it's been sold to recoup a lot of money from the new price of the watch.
    3 Actually, the only Daytona I like is on a bracelet, but in platinum, which I cannot begin to afford.
    4 My stainless Yacht-Master, which I could afford, is on a bracelet and I like it a lot.

These things said, you're probably right that I don't like yellow gold bracelets, because for me they still belong on the wrists of second-hand car dealers (who have minders to make sure they're not mugged).

Grand Master
    I sometimes wear this, I'm not a car dealer and I don`t have a minder:

This has been a somewhat confusing thread, can`t really work out what the OP's wanting. I`m a fan of gold watches but modern ones are v. expensive for what they offer so older/vintage is the way to go. This one of mine's 9ct gold and the 9ct bracelet's one I`ve had for years. Also have this one in 18ct gold:

and this, 14ct rose gold with a refinished dial:

Buy well and vintage gold watches are excellent, look for waterproof designs because the water resistance can usually be restored to a level that makes them suitable for daily wear.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

These things said, you're probably right that I don't like yellow gold bracelets, because for me they still belong on the wrists of second-hand car dealers (who have minders to make sure they're not mugged).
    I'm with you on this OP. I was gifted the gold Rolex Date that I put a photo of up a few posts ago, but it is/was too much for me. So I put it on a brown strap, treated it to a legit Rolex clasp and couldn't be happier *.

*Well, I would be happier if it had a quickset date...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Surely the more gold used the more expensive the gold watch?
    A head only gold watch will be cheaper than one with a gold bracelet. (Yes there a number of factors that come in to play here but as a rule of thumb it works)
    I think that you missed my point. It wasn't whether a gold watch will be more expensive or not with a gold bracelet, more that some gold watches with gold bracelets will be less expensive than some gold watches with leather straps (or other means of retention). The Daytona I mentioned is hugely expensive and most likely more expensive as a watch without any kind of strap/bracelet than other watches with a bracelet from less 'trendy' brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I agree with you. I like yellow or (some) rose gold watches but on a leather strap.