closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: How Many Clocks Do You Have to Manually Adjust for DST?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll

2 3.92%
  • 1-2

7 13.73%
  • 3-5

25 49.02%
  • 6-10

11 21.57%
  • 11-15

1 1.96%
  • 16-20

2 3.92%
  • 21-30

1 1.96%
  • 31-40

0 0%
  • 41-50

0 0%
  • >50

2 3.92%

Thread: How Many Clocks Do You Have to Manually Adjust for DST?

How Many Clocks Do You Have to Manually Adjust for DST?

This morning I made my biannual tour of the house adjusting any clocks that do not update themselves at the GMT/DST changeover, and made a little count-up as I went. There were four in bedrooms, ten in living spaces, and six in kitchen/utility/garage areas making a total of 20.

It's something that I rather enjoy doing other than the daft oven clock that jumps from single digit adjustment to rapid ten minute increments after about five seconds. Most of the others are vintage mechanical or electronic analogue clocks that are a pleasure to interact with. The only one that has to regularly have the manual dug out for is a large Nixie tube clock that has the GMT/DST setting buried amongst a long set of registers.

Any watches that need adjusting just get done the next time that they are worn.

Is anybody fully automated? What's the average amongst the TZ massif?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Thomas
    Lord Cut-Glass scampers from clock to clock, a bunch of clock-keys in one hand, a fish-head in the other.

Master
    Just two. My wife is fond of the kitchen clock and won't have it replaced by a radio-synchronised model. And my highly dimmable LED bedside clock. I've never been able to find a radio-synchronised one that will dim sufficiently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Three in our house.

Four here, not counting our two bedside clocks.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Only the oven clock inside the actual house, we don't bother with the thermostat clock. Outside my mini and the two in my wife's Suzuki (slightly annoyingly the two in the Suzuki have to be done independently and use totally different proceedures). Plus whatever mechanical watch I'm wearing at the time and my wife's Seiko auto. My gshock changes automatically.

Master
    Only the three at the moment. Oven, thermostat and one of my favourite time pieces which my son made at school last year:

Legibility is a bit pants but I love the colours. We might try luming the hands which should help.

Once I have finished my study there will be another, a lovely silver clock I inherited but has spent too much time in the attic as it was banished from the last house for being too loud.

5 clocks for me, the problematic one is the Atmos which shouldn't be turned backwards. So I have to leave it for an hour or wind it forwards 23 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Only the oven clock inside the actual house, we don't bother with the thermostat clock. Outside my mini and the two in my wife's Suzuki (slightly annoyingly the two in the Suzuki have to be done independently and use totally different proceedures). Plus whatever mechanical watch I'm wearing at the time and my wife's Seiko auto. My gshock changes automatically.
    Can't she do her own?!

Master
    Don't forget the clocks in your car / cars and also your watches need doing as well. Not forgetting the cookers and micro waves. It's a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can't she do her own?!
    She can yes, but what was only mildly annoying for me would be more annoying for her. So she was doing something else at the time that would be more annoying for me than that particular task was for her. Then we went out for lunch.

Craftsman
    7 clocks in our house. Can't work out why a modern car can't adjust itself, but that's another one to do when I next drive it.

Wish the time could just be left alone rather than this bi-annual PITA!

Master
    Currently 6 in my house including the oven plus. I ended up adjusting three, the other were done by the kids. The cars are yet to be done.

Wall clock in the kitchen, oven clock, couple of bedroom alarm clocks, although one is an ancient Sony radio alarm with a little DST button so easy-peasy, and the two cars. Oh, and the boiler thermostat.

I don't want to talk about the quartz watch collection

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wall clock and car clock.
    Oven can fend for itself for 6 months.

Only 2, replaced our alarm clocks and most of the wall clocks with radio-synched ones years ago. The oven one I can't be bothered with, it's an utter faff to set at the best of times so is currently claiming that it is 3am. I'll have to do the car one as well next time I leave the house.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

3 in the house + the oven clock, 1 motorbike & 3 cars
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Seiko kitchen clock
    Microwave & oven
    Living Room pendulum
    Hall clock
    Others are radio controlled

Craftsman
    1 Navy Chelsea Clock Co
    1 Jungans kitchen
    1 10 inch Smiths
    1 8 inch Smiths. (small dial hours, large minutes)
    1 bedside of dubious quality
    3 JLC travel clocks.
    Gave my nephew my vintage radio room clock to celebrate him sailing Brazil, SA, Seychelles. All vintage apart from bedside clock so there's room for one more. Enjoy the changing.

Why are oven clocks such a pain?

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    1 Navy Chelsea Clock Co
    1 Jungans kitchen
    1 10 inch Smiths
    1 8 inch Smiths. (small dial hours, large minutes)
    1 bedside of dubious quality
    3 JLC travel clocks.
    Gave my nephew my vintage radio room clock to celebrate him sailing Brazil, SA, Seychelles. All vintage apart from bedside clock so there's room for one more. Enjoy the changing.

Yeah my oven is a nightmare. Including when you set the timer for cooking anything - the most common lengths of time required to be input must surely be 15/30/60 minutes. The clock rapidly increases in value at 20 something minutes so in a millisecond it’s at about 4 hours. Now I use Siri or a dive bezel!

Master
    2 cars, an oven and a microwave.

3 quartz, the microwave, one table clock… i think that’s all.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Yeah my oven is a nightmare. Including when you set the timer for cooking anything - the most common lengths of time required to be input must surely be 15/30/60 minutes. The clock rapidly increases in value at 20 something minutes so in a millisecond it’s at about 4 hours. Now I use Siri or a dive bezel!
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Yes, given up cooker clock and now use this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Car
    Microwave (Can't be arsed with the cooker)
    3xKitchen clocks

+Brother's Clock

Master
    Just leave them on God's time. Time is just a form of control anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Originally Posted by Dylan Thomas
    Lord Cut-Glass scampers from clock to clock, a bunch of clock-keys in one hand, a fish-head in the other.
    Still 20...

Only the cooker for me but the quartz wrist watches…

Master
    Agree the oven / micro ones are a pain for reasons described above.

To add to the pain we have two next to each other and I need them both to the same second so they move minute at the same moment.

Trying to do them both one handed at the same precise moment is not easy especially as they are very fiddly in the first place.

Aside from that, one quartz on the wall and I think that’s about it.

Craftsman
    Lounge clock, oven clock, the clock in the car ... and 27 quartz watches :-)

Master
    We have to manually adjust a long case clock in the hall, carriage clock in the dining room and mantle clock in the lounge plus a wall clock in the kitchen and another in the utility room. Then there are the awkward ones, a digital clock for the cooker and another for the microwave, both of which are a pain.

The burglar alarm is also a work of art. Sometimes easy and sometime awkward.

The car is easy enough.

The good ones are the bedroom ones, we have an old, mid seventies, Amstrad which takes less than 10 seconds and the other three all adjust themselves automatically.

Finally even the new CH boiler also adjusts itself.

I can't see any reason for for us having to alter the times for no apparent benefit. It's a pure anachronism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

I can't see any reason for for us having to alter the times for no apparent benefit. It's a pure anachronism.
    I'd agree with you there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

It seems like the older they are, the easier they are to adjust. Our quickest is an eight-day movement Smiths Radio Room clock which takes a couple of seconds to move the minute hand forward an hour. The Smiths Sectric clocks take a few seconds to adjust, although they sometimes they start running in reverse when the motor is re-engaged

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Something had to replace having a VHS recorder with its digits flashing in every house, and ovens drew the short straw...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It seems like the older they are, the easier they are to adjust. Our quickest is an eight-day movement Smiths Radio Room clock which takes a couple of seconds to move the minute hand forward an hour. The Smiths Sectric clocks take a few seconds to adjust, although they sometimes they start running in reverse when the motor is re-engaged

Is this Sectric a vintage one? Have been looking and they sell modern versions. Where is good to get one from?

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    Is this Sectric a vintage one? Have been looking and they sell modern versions. Where is good to get one from?
    Yes, original. I just do the eBay thing I'm afraid. One of the wall clocks was sold as a non-runner but only needed rewiring. All of the Sectronic movements keep excellent time, here are a couple more.

[

Also a '60s Smiths 'Sectronic'.

I spent a happy few hours upgrading the movements etc on most of our clocks to radio controlled last year

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yes, original. I just do the eBay thing I'm afraid. One of the wall clocks was sold as a non-runner but only needed rewiring. All of the Sectronic movements keep excellent time, here are a couple more.

[

Also a '60s Smiths 'Sectronic'.

Excellent thanks. A great collection you have!

The Mercedes, in its wisdom, decided to put itself forward two hours. After a couple of minutes driving it put itself right.
    Oven clocks are a pain though. Quite why they don't have back up batteries like every other mains driven clock and timer, I cannot fathom. We have at least two power cuts a month. I've given up resetting them

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    5 clocks for me, the problematic one is the Atmos which shouldn't be turned backwards. So I have to leave it for an hour or wind it forwards 23 hours.

Did you acquire this from Chris on this forum?

Master
    Cars, ovens and whatever watches are being worn by any of the four of us - so possibly 10 in all. But have only done the ovens, 2 watches and a car today.
    Actually a lot simpler and less time consuming than I remember it being a while ago.

Master
    Not that many, but feels like too many as I find them over a period of days! First the watch I'm wearing, then cooker, living room clock and bedside clock. Then car later in the day. Then rice cooker in the evening, when finding it hasn't cooked anything yet and wondering why. I'm sure there's more.
    Never bothers me too much - I'm still just happy that phones change automatically, so on the Saturday night I don't need to remember to reset the one I use as an alarm!

Half a dozen around the house.

I usually find one a month later that I've not noticed.

Around a dozen quartz watches, although only about half are currently running, so that saved me time.

I didn't use my car over the weekend, so that's still to be done, but is simply a case of going into the settings and checking the DST box.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?