closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garage build

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I wanted to make sure if she threw me out of the main house I’d have somewhere to move in to 
    One the last pic: when you're kicked out: install some really big, frameless windows between the oak and you're in business! With a view. Cosy wood burner in the corner for cold evenings. That's all you need!

Kidding aside: I really love this project and all the pics you posted! What's next?

Probably just paint the floor for now and see how it goes.
    If you are painting the floor possibly consider rubber tiling it instead ?

I tiled a single garage for about 400 using these people - https://www.garagefloortilecompany.com/ I bought the 7mm thick, but was able to choose offers/batch ends to get the price same as 5mm.

It is very easy to lay and cut - on a larger space even qucker really as the edge cuts take the time and you would have proprtionately less of these.
    Last edited by MB2; 17th October 2023 at 12:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you are painting the floor possibly consider rubber tiling it instead ?

I tiled a single garage for about 400 using these people - https://www.garagefloortilecompany.com/ I bought the 7mm thick, but was able to choose offers/batch ends to get the price same as 5mm.

It is very easy to lay and cut - on a larger space even qucker really as the edge cuts take the time and you would have proprtionately less of these.
    I just want to paint it for now, that way at least it's sealed and I can clean it if needed, might well look at tiles later on depending what ends up living in there, lol.

Blog Entries
    Contact me if you want to opt for an epoxy floor. I have first-hand experience laying (pouring) it. Basically, it comes down to this: it's a lot easier than tiling a floor.

When you paint the floor for now, make sure that you use a paint system that will 'hold' all types of cement/tile adhesive, glue, epoxy when you want to change the type of material on the floor. (It's a long time ago, but we had a bad experience with a newly-laid tile floor over paint... the adhesive simply wouldn't 'stick').

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Contact me if you want to opt for an epoxy floor. I have first-hand experience laying (pouring) it. Basically, it comes down to this: it's a lot easier than tiling a floor.

When you paint the floor for now, make sure that you use a paint system that will 'hold' all types of cement/tile adhesive, glue, epoxy when you want to change the type of material on the floor. (It's a long time ago, but we had a bad experience with a newly-laid tile floor over paint... the adhesive simply wouldn't 'stick').
    When I mentioned tiles I was talking about the rubber type interlocking ones, don't think I would go down the other route, but thanks for the heads up.
    Just give the ceiling a first mist coat, it's a big old ceiling that's for sure, hopefully second solid coat tomorrow and see what it looks like

Master
    Doors fitted today so now water tight, second fix electrics next.
    I can now start looking for some good deals on kitchen base units as that's what I'm using for a workbench/storage.
    In discussions as well regarding driveway, probably mix it up a bit, part gravel with porcelain stepping stones, ( these were left over from the steps we have just had done ), slabs or pavers where cars are, and then probably a sleeper raised type section in one corner.
    Always open to suggestions though.

Master
    Thought I'd show my little piece of cable jointing.
    Along with the garage build we are altering the walls etc around the existing patio and installing new steps to gain access down onto the drive, the lamp post I fitted some 15 years ago was in the way so I removed it and was left with the 2 ends of armoured cable that were needed to feed the rest of the wall lights.
    One little resin joint kit later, this will now be covered with a layer of sand and then be buried under the flagstone.

Master
    Can I ask what brand the doors are please? My roller shutter is now over 20 years old and getting a little tired.🤓

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Can I ask what brand the doors are please? My roller shutter is now over 20 years old and getting a little tired.🤓
    They’re made by uk doors and installed by a local guy, I prefer to use local people as far as possible, hopefully that way any problems get sorted without hassle.
    They look well made but only time will tell
    I did get other companies to quote but these people were the only ones that could give me exactly what I wanted and would fit the personal door as well
    Last edited by Weirdfish; 29th October 2023 at 17:09.

Blog Entries
    Doors fitted today so now water tight, second fix electrics next.
    I can now start looking for some good deals on kitchen base units as that's what I'm using for a workbench/storage.
    In discussions as well regarding driveway, probably mix it up a bit, part gravel with porcelain stepping stones, ( these were left over from the steps we have just had done ), slabs or pavers where cars are, and then probably a sleeper raised type section in one corner.
    Always open to suggestions though.

Doors look great.

On the subject of the driveway I would never have any gravel again. Had a gravel drive and it was a nightmare forever picking stones out of your shoes, stones migrating into the car footwell or hearing that scratch and scrape on the floors. All block paved now and don't have to avoid shoes with blocky treads!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Doors look great.

On the subject of the driveway I would never have any gravel again. Had a gravel drive and it was a nightmare forever picking stones out of your shoes, stones migrating into the car footwell or hearing that scratch and scrape on the floors. All block paved now and don't have to avoid shoes with blocky treads!
    I know what you mean.
    I’ll try and get a pic up to show the area, but basically the area in front of the garage doors, and in from the double gates would be pavers, the area that leads to the steps up to the existing patio which is directly outside the door to the house would be gravel with stepping stones.
    In the very far corner, where a vehicle would never really go will be the sleeper surrounded garden/shrubbery area.
    We have a couple of neighbours with gravel drives, and although they have the grids below the gravel it still shifts all over the place.

Master
    Thanks… I’ll check em out.👍

Master
    This a rubbish pic of what I was trying to explain above.
    The stone table and chairs is the existing patio next to the house, the step down, ( which is being built as I type ), will take you down to the drive level, you will then have a line of porcelain slabs taking you either, into the garage or onto the drive, these will be surrounded by gravel.
    The drive will then be pavers, probably a mixture of 3 or 5 different sizes, one main colour with maybe a double row border of a contrasting colour, there will then be a small sleeper surrounded garden area in the far corner, the idea is to break it all up a bit.

On the subject of the driveway I would never have any gravel again. Had a gravel drive and it was a nightmare forever picking stones out of your shoes, stones migrating into the car footwell or hearing that scratch and scrape on the floors.
    Can this be circumvented by using 20mm gravel and above? Think the slate chipping style stuff (if suitable for driveways) goes up to 40mm .

Most/popular gravel seems to be 10mm, easily stuck in shoes, dragged around out of position, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Can this be circumvented by using 20mm gravel and above? Think the slate chipping style stuff (if suitable for driveways) goes up to 40mm .

Most/popular gravel seems to be 10mm, easily stuck in shoes, dragged around out of position, etc.
    I think the mistake most people make when using the grids under the gravel is use round section gravel, you need to use a certain type/size with irregular edges so as it locks into the grids and holds better

Master
    Not quite the garage build but my first strip down now it's water tight, lol.
    I've been meaning to repair my chainsaw for quite some time, broken piece on the plastic body that holds both tanks etc etc didn't realise that every bit had to be removed!!!!

I know what you mean.
    I’ll try and get a pic up to show the area, but basically the area in front of the garage doors, and in from the double gates would be pavers, the area that leads to the steps up to the existing patio which is directly outside the door to the house would be gravel with stepping stones.
    In the very far corner, where a vehicle would never really go will be the sleeper surrounded garden/shrubbery area.
    We have a couple of neighbours with gravel drives, and although they have the grids below the gravel it still shifts all over the place.
    Really? As a landscape contractor, this is a relatively new product, and having been using it more in the past few years, it’s a game changer for gravel. So much so, just redone my own driveway, along with a shared access lane.Laid on a correctly laid and prepped compact base, it’s a fantastic product.
    The caveat is the size of aggregate to be used. 10mm the ideal size, 14mm max.

Various suppliers recommend laying the mats 20mm beneath them edging material, so effectively 20 mm of gravel in pockets, 20 mm on top. Nonsense really, as the 20 mm depth on top will be loose.
    I lay sheets pretty much tight, or a few mm beneath edge, so the aggregate is pretty tight to surface all over. You can cycle over it, push a pram over it, wheels bins and wheel barrows glide over it.
    No affiliation, but Core Gravel the choice for me.

Craftsman
    I used Yorkshire Cream aggregate on my driveway. It is an angular stone and locks into place nicely, and doesn't migrate to all the places where you don't want it to go. I didn't use any plastic grids with it. Been down 18 months and looks as good as the day it was laid.

An angular gravel is the way to go. Costs more but huge upsides vs the cheaper stuff that most people seem to use.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I used Yorkshire Cream aggregate on my driveway. It is an angular stone and locks into place nicely, and doesn't migrate to all the places where you don't want it to go. I didn't use any plastic grids with it. Been down 18 months and looks as good as the day it was laid.

An angular gravel is the way to go. Costs more but huge upsides vs the cheaper stuff that most people seem to use.
    Very similar for me. Looked at Yorkshire cream, but coming out £160 a jumbo bag with delivery. Went for a supplier I use - no affiliation - but their product range is vast. CED. Went for an equivalent in Thames buff, 10 mm angular, in grids. Fantastic.
    This came out around £100 a jumbo bag.

Blog Entries
    This a rubbish pic of what I was trying to explain above.
    The stone table and chairs is the existing patio next to the house, the step down, ( which is being built as I type ), will take you down to the drive level, you will then have a line of porcelain slabs taking you either, into the garage or onto the drive, these will be surrounded by gravel.
    The drive will then be pavers, probably a mixture of 3 or 5 different sizes, one main colour with maybe a double row border of a contrasting colour, there will then be a small sleeper surrounded garden area in the far corner, the idea is to break it all up a bit.
    It'll probably look great but I'd still have the lot paved. Gravel shall not pass!

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Really? As a landscape contractor, this is a relatively new product, and having been using it more in the past few years, it’s a game changer for gravel. So much so, just redone my own driveway, along with a shared access lane.Laid on a correctly laid and prepped compact base, it’s a fantastic product.
    The caveat is the size of aggregate to be used. 10mm the ideal size, 14mm max.

Various suppliers recommend laying the mats 20mm beneath them edging material, so effectively 20 mm of gravel in pockets, 20 mm on top. Nonsense really, as the 20 mm depth on top will be loose.
    I lay sheets pretty much tight, or a few mm beneath edge, so the aggregate is pretty tight to surface all over. You can cycle over it, push a pram over it, wheels bins and wheel barrows glide over it.
    No affiliation, but Core Gravel the choice for me.
    What's the maximum gradient you would install these grids on? Our driveway has a bit of a slope, but would prefer gravel to paving/resin if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What's the maximum gradient you would install these grids on? Our driveway has a bit of a slope, but would prefer gravel to paving/resin if possible.
    They reckon on a max of 20 degrees, up to 30 if pegged….

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    They reckon on a max of 20 degrees, up to 30 if pegged….
    Thanks, that's pretty steep!

Master
    It'll probably look great but I'd still have the lot paved. Gravel shall not pass!
    Madness, paving is for housing estates.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    +1
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Nope, it’s for my driveway. Never realised gravel was so popular in the shires. Each to his own.

Master
    A bit more progress, mainly stone walling and steps, this time of year seems to take ages, can only do so much stone work as it needs to dry enough for pointing up, he's even covered some of it and pointed it in the morning, but then that takes the time he would normally be laying some more, it's looking nice though.
    We had the coping stones delivered today, all 52mtrs worth, 60mm thick.

I couldn't resist laying a couple on the wall to see what they would look like, boy are they heavy, and these are the smallest ones.

Craftsman
    A bit more progress, mainly stone walling and steps, this time of year seems to take ages, can only do so much stone work as it needs to dry enough for pointing up, he's even covered some of it and pointed it in the morning, but then that takes the time he would normally be laying some more, it's looking nice though.

I couldn't resist laying a couple on the wall to see what they would look like, boy are they heavy, and these are the smallest ones.
    That’s good progress, it’s getting there!

Blog Entries

Love the walling, and the coping stones look great, some heft to them.

Is it necessary for everyone to quote the full post before adding a one line response?

Looking at the most recent page of the bike thread, it seems the answer is yes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Is it necessary for everyone to quote the full post before adding a one line response?
    No. That’s why you’ll notice I edited the original to leave only the pictures relevant to my reply. It’s easily done.

No. That’s why you’ll notice I edited the original to leave only the pictures relevant to my reply. It’s easily done.
    Indeed.

OP, would it be rude to ask you what you anticipate the total cost of this project being? Without any experience myself, I'm wildly guessing at somewhere between £30-40K but I could be miles out.

I do enjoy the updates to this thread. Looks great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Indeed.

OP, would it be rude to ask you what you anticipate the total cost of this project being? Without any experience myself, I'm wildly guessing at somewhere between £30-40K but I could be miles out.
    Unfortunately you are miles out, we got to slab level for approx £27K, but there was a few hundred tons of dig out, a bigger retaining wall than we thought necessary and damp proof membrane to sort out.
    The overall area is in the region of 260 sq mtrs, this along with building with stone certainly ramps up the cost, then you have oak and cedar, fully cut roof structure, more expensive slates due to low roof pitch, the list just goes on.
    Those coping stones were just under £40 per mtr and there's 52 mtrs worth.
    The electric shutter doors and the composite side door was another £5K due to the width of them.
    We could have done it for less by using different materials, but the stone was already here so it just felt right to re-use it, and hopefully you only do it once.
    We are still happy with the price as it's looking better than what we imagined, and the workmanship is really good.
    What really worries me is what am I going to fill it with, that could be really scary, ( price wise ), lol.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately you are miles out, we got to slab level for approx £27K, but there was a few hundred tons of dig out, a bigger retaining wall than we thought necessary and damp proof membrane to sort out.
    The overall area is in the region of 260 sq mtrs, this along with building with stone certainly ramps up the cost, then you have oak and cedar, fully cut roof structure, more expensive slates due to low roof pitch, the list just goes on.
    Those coping stones were just under £40 per mtr and there's 52 mtrs worth.
    The electric shutter doors and the composite side door was another £5K due to the width of them.
    We could have done it for less by using different materials, but the stone was already here so it just felt right to re-use it, and hopefully you only do it once.
    We are still happy with the price as it's looking better than what we imagined, and the workmanship is really good.
    What really worries me is what am I going to fill it with, that could be really scary, ( price wise ), lol.
    I think it looks great, given the problems you had with levels etc. Sometimes it costs a lot to look 'right'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great, given the problems you had with levels etc. Sometimes it costs a lot to look 'right'.

I agree - it looks a fantastic build, done right, and will last many lifetimes.

Master
    Not a great deal happening at the moment, weather not been great for stonework and builder trying to finish other jobs elsewhere that he can get on with.
    Some copings have gone on, steps area is now finished apart from copings and the final stone wall along the from of the drive started.
    [url=https://imgur.com/7uHdXxO][/url

Master
    Electrics 95% finished, those strip lights are bright.

Probably another few good days and the stone walls will all be done, then it's on to the drive area.
    Garage floor hopefully getting painted this weekend.

Master
    Garage floor finish hasn't come up as nice as I was hoping it would, so I'm looking at alternative coverings.
    Interlocking Tiles seem to be the favourite at the moment, has anyone any experience of these, are they slippery, do they last, and, which thickness did you go for?
    Did toy with a latex covering and then paint over, but I'm worried the thin covering won't stand up to any weight going on it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use big thick rubber gym mats. They are 6x4ft and just lay them down and butt them up.

Very heavy so get them delivered. Very durable and don’t move.
    Last edited by Montello; 22nd February 2024 at 13:44.

Great project

We got some interlocking mats a bit like this. https://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-fl...iABEgIkS_D_BwE

Ours not heavy and some 3 years on are great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Great project

We got some interlocking mats a bit like this. https://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-fl...iABEgIkS_D_BwE

Ours not heavy and some 3 years on are great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Those are thick soft mats/tiles, so not really suitable for a garage/workshop, I wish they were at that price.
    I need approximately 53sq mtrs and a couple of prices I’ve got so far are about £1500.

Master
    The interior looks superb! Wish my car was living in one like that. Or even a garage lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The interior looks superb! Wish my car was living in one like that. Or even a garage lol.
    Thank you, although after the floor painting disaster it’s taken the edge off the excitement, and also added somewhat to the cost.
    At this rate I won’t be able to afford to park anything in there🙈🙈😂

Craftsman
    I used these. I went for the studded tile as I thought it would be easier to sweep up.
    Not at all slippy and easy to put together, I haven’t put any weight on them though.
    Tuffermen do them as well but theirs are only 10mm thick, Bigdug’s are 12mm

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-fl...r-tiles-p14434

Garage floor finish hasn't come up as nice as I was hoping it would, so I'm looking at alternative coverings.
    Interlocking Tiles seem to be the favourite at the moment, has anyone any experience of these, are they slippery, do they last, and, which thickness did you go for?
    Did toy with a latex covering and then paint over, but I'm worried the thin covering won't stand up to any weight going on it.
    I used these people - https://www.garagefloortilecompany.com/

Very easy to lay, just the edges took some time as each tile needs cutting but the cut very easily - Stanley knife, hack saw, circular saw etc. I found a circular saw was the easiest. Only tip is to mark and measure each one as even if your walls are straight (which I hope they are) the tiles are probably not laid quite straight.

I got the 7mm tiles and got some 2nds/batch ends. You couldn't see the marks on them. Very easy to lay as you can move them around to start with but then get heavy and don't shift. They do scratch so be careful hoovering and my bike side stand will dent them so I use an offcut under it, but at the end of the day its a garage and I would happily recommend them and the supplier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I used these people - https://www.garagefloortilecompany.com/

Very easy to lay, just the edges took some time as each tile needs cutting but the cut very easily - Stanley knife, hack saw, circular saw etc. I found a circular saw was the easiest. Only tip is to mark and measure each one as even if your walls are straight (which I hope they are) the tiles are probably not laid quite straight.

I got the 7mm tiles and got some 2nds/batch ends. You couldn't see the marks on them. Very easy to lay as you can move them around to start with but then get heavy and don't shift. They do scratch so be careful hoovering and my bike side stand will dent them so I use an offcut under it, but at the end of the day its a garage and I would happily recommend them and the supplier.
    I’m actually waiting for them to reply to my email regarding appropriate products and prices 👍

I’m actually waiting for them to reply to my email regarding appropriate products and prices 
    They are really helpful on the phone and went and checked the warehouse so managed to allocate me enough reduced tiles despite the on-line shop not allowing them through.

They also had "remolds" which were a bit cheaper (only fit with themselves which isn't an issue).

I did my garage (15m2) for 400 so not cheap as that was economising but still using the higher quality product. Also make sure you have a rubber or hide mallet to tap them down and some foam or similar to save your knees.

I did my whole garage from about 10-4 including a stop for lunch and moving everything in/out with the help of a friend's son (15) and being pedantic about the cuts. Your garage is much bigger, but if it is pretty empty I would think a day would do it with a helper, as the time consuming bit is the side/edge cuts not laying the middle that is very quick and easy.

Master
    Thank you, although after the floor painting disaster it’s taken the edge off the excitement, and also added somewhat to the cost.
    At this rate I won’t be able to afford to park anything in there
    I do hate that feeling with a project where it takes the shine away.

Shame you aren't closer, I'd park my car in there until you got back on the horse lol.