closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage build

Master

Garage build

I know we all like a build thread so I thought I'd post a few pics of how our new garage/workshop build is progressing.
    2 weeks in now and I think the boys are doing well, weather not been the best here but it's coming along.
    This was the existing garage with some decking behind it, I'd already ripped up the decking and was well on the way of demolishing the garage before the builders arrived

all the concrete/blocks etc were going to be crushed and re-used as sub base, we live in a rural location with narrow lanes so it made sense not to have more traffic than necessary bringing in materials.
    The new garage is 10x6mtrs single height with a semi vaulted roof which has a lower pitch than standard and sunk into the garden so as not to block our late afternoon early evening sunshine and have least amount of impact on the surrounding area, over 400 tons of soil etc had to come out but luckily we had just purchased a field next to us that could take most of this.
    These give you some idea of what came out, the person in the pic is 6'2" and that's a lane above that goes to a couple of houses further along.

Originally the spec was to lay 4" dense blocks flat to act as a retaining wall before building the back garage wall, but when they finished the dig out they changed it to 9" hollows with rebar drilled into the footings and filled with concrete, ( it's only money at the end of the day )lol.

I won't bore you with pics everyday, but will update as and when anything significant happens
    Last edited by Weirdfish; 30th October 2022 at 13:30.

Master
    Just thought I would add a pic of the crusher, we all like a toy don't we

Please do update as and when as I love a garage build…I buy, sell and rent garages for a living and am rebuilding a double garage next spring so will follow with interest…

Master
    A couple more pics showing how it is as of today, and the entrance to the field where all the dig out has gone, slightly trashed at the moment

Blog Entries
    Brilliant! Keep posting updates.

Btw, how did you manage to post a vid here?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Brilliant! Keep posting updates.

Btw, how did you manage to post a vid here?
    Imgur.

Craftsman
    Tips
    Put in more lighting than you think you need , likewise power points b.
    Buy at least 6 remotes for the garage doors and hide 3 where only you will know . If you are tiling the floor make sure the tiles are not porous and don’t go for light ones unless you enjoy cleaning , and finally have a slight fall in the floor towards the door so if you have spills they are easer to clean .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Tips
    Put in more lighting than you think you need , likewise power points b.
    Buy at least 6 remotes for the garage doors and hide 3 where only you will know . If you are tiling the floor make sure the tiles are not porous and don’t go for light ones unless you enjoy cleaning , and finally have a slight fall in the floor towards the door so if you have spills they are easer to clean .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    ^^^ this ^^^

All good tips. What's your plan for the floor?

This website has a forum totally dedicated to all things 'garage'/'workshop'. Lots of US-based info, but still useful suggestions and experiences.

https://www.garagejournal.com
    Last edited by thieuster; 2nd November 2022 at 15:44.

Master
    Lovely thread. Following with interest.

Master
    ^^^ this ^^^

All good tips. What's your plan for the floor?

This website has a forum totally dedicated to all things 'garage'/'workshop'. Lots of US-based info, but still useful suggestions and experiences.

https://www.garagejournal.com
    Floor will probably just get a decent paint for now, ( I say now, obviously when finished ).
    They have spoke about leaving the floor until after the garage is built, depending upon the weather, need a good full day of decent weather to be able to power float.
    I’ll pay a visit to the garage journal

Master
    Keep us updated.

Looks way better than our extension. Currently the ground workers are not happy, dealing with a mix of endless heavy rain and very sticky clay earth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Keep us updated.

Looks way better than our extension. Currently the ground workers are not happy, dealing with a mix of endless heavy rain and very sticky clay earth.
    No play here today, a mixture of gale force wind and heavy rain.
    The builders crushed the old concrete base and driveway along with any other old walls etc and laid it on a membrane around the site once they'd dug out to stop it becoming a mud pie, it seems to have worked well so far.

Did you do any waterproofing to the external face of the retaining wall? Install a drain?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    Did you do any waterproofing to the external face of the retaining wall? Install a drain?
    Yes, waterproof membrane being fixed to the retaining wall and routing it under the garage floor, also backfield with clean stone and a perforated pipe installed and piped to the soakaway that’s being dug out for the rest of the rainwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Yes, waterproof membrane being fixed to the retaining wall and routing it under the garage floor, also backfield with clean stone and a perforated pipe installed and piped to the soakaway that’s being dug out for the rest of the rainwater.
    Good job 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    Good job 👍
    Backfilled, not backfield 🙈😂👍

I do like a garage build thread, keep the updates coming..!

But, the big question is what are you going to do in this garage when it`s finished?
    Surely this is not going to be a place to store old bicycles, the tumble dryer, half-empty tins of emulsion and a semi-retired lawnmower? Only a hardcore (get it?) shed/garage dweller woud go to this much effort and expense to provide themselves with a suitable sanctuary in which to tinker, make and mend or otherwise worship at the alter of something mechanical and exotic!
    A classic car? A gaggle of motor bicycles, perhaps the installation of a lathe or milling machine is in the offing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I do like a garage build thread, keep the updates coming..!

But, the big question is what are you going to do in this garage when it`s finished?
    Surely this is not going to be a place to store old bicycles, the tumble dryer, half-empty tins of emulsion and a semi-retired lawnmower? Only a hardcore (get it?) shed/garage dweller woud go to this much effort and expense to provide themselves with a suitable sanctuary in which to tinker, make and mend or otherwise worship at the alter of something mechanical and exotic!
    A classic car? A gaggle of motor bicycles, perhaps the installation of a lathe or milling machine is in the offing?
    I don’t know what you mean 🙈😂
    I like tinkering and making stuff, but I haven’t had a toy for a while, ( car ), so that’s on the list.
    It was more to do with the old garage wasn’t fit for purpose and the garden needed sorting, so we bit the bullet and went for it.
    Trouble being is we’ve just purchased the 1.5 acre field next to us that needs sorting, ( lots of trees to come down and hedges sorted), so it’s all come at once, at least we had somewhere to tip the soil that came out though.
    Not much happened this week due to weather but I’ll update as soon as progress starts again

we’ve just purchased the 1.5 acre field next to us
    Fantastic.
    My dream is to fly my paramotor from my back garden/land adjoining...

Master
    Thought I'd update this, although it's been painfully slow here, a mixture of bad weather and the builders getting tied up on other jobs that were already ongoing.
    A couple of pics of the stone walling going up. We have new oak posts and hardwood gates to go in after all the work is done, the ditch outside the wall is now all filled with clean stone ready for weed fabric and a top layer of soil.

Footings being dug and filled for the drive retaining wall

Slab with insulation, membrane and mesh ready for pouring in the morning

The white sheet coming out the top of the wall is the damp proof membrane that is fixed to the inside of the retaining wall and drops down to the floor so as to allow any water to go under the floor.
    Hopefully post some pics of the slab in the next couple of days
    Last edited by Weirdfish; 24th January 2023 at 15:09.

Master
    Very impressive- it looks bigger than my house 😂

Blog Entries
    Great pics! Is the mesh wire straight on the membrane or is there something that raises the wire 5 cm or so above the membrane? That's how it's done here; the wire is raised and supported with (e.g.) pieces of concrete, pieces of garden tiles or special plastic cones. That way, when the concert is poured, the wire stays in the center of the concerte floor when it has cured.

EDIT: forgot to compliment you: the stone walling looks awesome. We don't have that here in the Netherlands. In fact, we don't have big stones in or on the ground, so no quarries here. Makes ploughing and digging a lot easier but the downside is that we don't have stones for these beautiful walls!
    Last edited by thieuster; 24th January 2023 at 20:35.

Master
    Great pics! Is the mesh wire straight on the membrane or is there something that raises the wire 5 cm or so above the membrane? That's how it's done here; the wire is raised and supported with (e.g.) pieces of concrete, pieces of garden tiles or special plastic cones. That way, when the concert is poured, the wire stays in the center of the concerte floor when it has cured.
    When they poured the footings they used shaped pieces of wire to raise the mesh slightly, so I'm guessing the same will be done here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Very impressive- it looks bigger than my house 😂
    That’s what I was thinking!

Master
    Slab laid and power floated, ( all 12 cubic metres of it ), I only managed to get a pic of the full floor as they were finishing laying it and one of them power floating, it was a late night for them and they'd covered the finished floor for protection, but I had a peak and it's very smooth.

Last edited by Weirdfish; 26th January 2023 at 17:40.

Craftsman
    Those views are to die for........ looking forward to seeing this finished.

I'd of built a bar.

That reminds me of around 30 years ago spending days levelling poured concrete on a new car park - no power float though:(

looking great :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Those views are to die for........ looking forward to seeing this finished.

I'd of built a bar.
    We woke up the other morning to these views, my camera skills really don't do it justice

Master
    Stone wall taking shape, this section is on the driveway leading up to the garage, it will then continue along the lane and become the outside wall of the garage.

The front retaining wall is also taking shape, this is the front edge of the driveway and will be faced with stone.

We haven't decided on driveway finish yet, it covers 200 sq mtrs in total, quite like the cobble style blocks though.
    Any suggestions, or pics greatly appreciated.

Master
    Always nice to see a bit of insulation going in.

Master
    A few more pics of the garage build, still quite slow because of the weather, blockwork is not so bad if it's light rain but for stonework it needs to be dry, otherwise you risk staining the stone with cement, also working with wet stone can be tricky.
    Been waiting for the oak to be started so as the builder can run the walls into it, trouble is the guy is very busy and has only just got here on Saturday to start the cutting/joints etc etc, hopefully he's back at the end of the week, ( weather permitting ), to finish the cuts and lift it into place.
    The blockwork at the end of the garage will be clad in cedar.

Master

Garage build

That’s looking lovely, very jealous. Mine isn’t wide or long enough to even get my car into!

A garage…. The way that’s looking, natural stone, Oak, I’d live in that.
    Credit where due, that’s a very nice bit of natural stone work… skilled work right there.
    Last edited by deanlad; 20th March 2023 at 15:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    A garage…. The way that’s looking, natural stone, Oak, I’d live in that.
    Credit where due, that’s a very nice bit of natural stone work… skilled work right there.
    He is very good, that's why I don't hassle him too much if he has a day off, ( he's so in demand, I've even had people drive up here and ask him about doing stonework ), don't want to have to look for someone else to finish it off to this standard, he works on his own as well, no labourer, that way he knows it's done right.
    The guy doing the oak is also a one man band, just has some help for the heavy lifting bit, fair play to him though he was moving the oak in the pics around ok on Saturday on his own.
    The oak will be secured to the walls by movement/slip ties, these will allow any movement in the oak as it dries, and in theory not pull the walls as it does, the black plastic sleeve allows the metal tie to move within it.

I've had some nice square plinths made of local stone for the oak posts to sit on as well.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic. Was this all your idea or has the community council (or how it's called in the UK) ordered you to di it like this? If so, well... perhaps it's more expensive that 'just' a garage. But the look is awesome.

I remember having a coffee near the beach in an old mill in Wembury, near Plymouth. It stood there, fighting the elements since 1200 or so. Same 'technology' as your garage. This garage will outlive us all!

Master
    All our own ideas, planning didn’t object to either plans we submitted, ( yes we submitted 2 different sets ), but that’s another story.
    We’ve made subtle changes as the build has progressed, the cladding is to take away the harshness of all the stone, the garage door openings were supported by steelwork clad in timber originally but I had a chat with the architect about doing away with the steel and beefed up oak was the answer.
    It’s not cheap to do it this way but I thought you only do it once so do it right.

Blog Entries
    t’s not cheap to do it this way but I thought you only do it once so do it right.
    I am 100% with you on this!!

Master
    The oak is up, must say I'm impressed, a nice little touch is where he marked each joint in Roman numerals, it's to make sure the joints marry up and also his little signature, I quite like it.

Master
    The oak is up, must say I'm impressed, a nice little touch is where he marked each joint in Roman numerals, it's to make sure the joints marry up and also his little signature, I quite like it.
    I guess they are easier to mark on with a quick chisel and hammer with aesthetics being a bonus. Them Romans knew a thing or two :-)
    Last edited by reecie; 29th March 2023 at 18:39.

Funnily enough I have just cut a new set of boards to cap off my garage pit. It is necessary to place them in a certain order, so I too marked them in Roman numerals precisely for the reason that a few deft strokes with the chisel & mallet had them numbered up.
    Now to the creosote dip!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Funnily enough I have just cut a new set of boards to cap off my garage pit. It is necessary to place them in a certain order, so I too marked them in Roman numerals precisely for the reason that a few deft strokes with the chisel & mallet had them numbered up.
    Now to the creosote dip!
    I think I’ll keep the creosote away from the oak🙈😂

I think I’ll keep the creosote away from the oak
    I have great difficulty keeping it away from anything. Very pervasive stuff.
    A useful tip - after using creosote, you can drink any old cheap whiskey, it will taste like Laphroaig.

Master
    I was going to oil the oak but the guy who installed it said not to until it had at least dried out a bit, the tanning in green oak stops the oil from being absorbed so it basically sits on the surface.
    He did also ask why would you want to oil such a beautiful piece of timber.

I've found a place called Rye oil that sells very thin almost machine type oil.
    I've used it on oak and my decking and it's great stuff and cheaper than the crap they sell at most places that are water based.

I've also used post savers for anything in the ground or under the floor joists. Like a shrink plastic filled with bitumen. For the joists I just cut and tapped them around the edges to stop any rot forming for a good few years.
    Reckon they add 20 years to wooden posts
    Last edited by blackie; 29th March 2023 at 14:15.

I was going to oil the oak but the guy who installed it said not to until it had at least dried out a bit, the tanning in green oak stops the oil from being absorbed so it basically sits on the surface.
    He did also ask why would you want to oil such a beautiful piece of timber.
    Being possessed of a stash of timber planking, I live my life in mortal fear of woodworm. March is when they fly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That is an impressive build; looks like you enjoy very nice views.

I hope you have a nice car to put in there or will all the money be gone and there will be just a lonely lawn mower??

It looks like there's some superb workmanship involved in your build and I'm sure your patience will be rewarded with a cracking garage.

(great views as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    It looks like there's some superb workmanship involved in your build and I'm sure your patience will be rewarded with a cracking garage.

(great views as well)
    Echo that statement 100%

Master
    Thank you for the comments, yes the workmanship is first class and they are all local and know each other so handy if one wants the other to pop by and do something so as they can crack on.
    Views aren’t bad are they, it’s the reason the garage is where it is and only single story with a shallow pitched roof, didn’t want to impact too much on views or sunshine.
    As for what’s going in there, I’ve got my eye on a few toys but will wait until it’s built to decide.

Master
    It's been a couple of months since an update, things have been progressing, albeit slowly for one reason or another, ( people busy, on holiday, changing a few details etc etc ).
    Anyway, roof timbers are now on, builder will be back in the next couple of weeks, ( he's on holiday ), to build up gable ends and stonework between the rafters, then the roof will go on.
    It'a amazing just how much timber has gone into the roof, and I've included a pic of how he's joined the ridge beam together, I thought it was quite clever, but apparently that's how he does it, shame it's going to be covered up.