closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coffee machines (sage barrista)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Enjoy the new machine. The big plus is trying different coffees. I can recommend https://www.neighbourhoodcoffee.co.uk

To add to your list

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The undamaged replacement arrived
    That looks great…. A beast of a machine…. Makes my Delonghi B2C look puny!

My go to for beans is Rave coffee, Pact coffee and Rounton Coffee, although Rountons don’t seem to have had much that takes my interest at the moment.

I would suggest going for a darker roast with the machine you have. Getting good extraction from a light bean will prove very difficult.

Ross

Coffee machines (sage barrista)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    My go to for beans is Rave coffee, Pact coffee and Rounton Coffee, although Rountons don’t seem to have had much that takes my interest at the moment.

I would suggest going for a darker roast with the machine you have. Getting good extraction from a light bean will prove very difficult.

Ross
    What makes you think extraction from a light bean would be difficult? It has variable grind settings and variable temperature control as well as infusion so I can do finer grind and higher temperature. Unless I’m missing something?

Appreciate the bean suggestions- the list to try is getting long

What makes you think extraction from a light bean would be difficult? It has variable grind settings and variable temperature control as well as infusion so I can do finer grind and higher temperature. Unless I’m missing something?

Appreciate the bean suggestions- the list to try is getting long
    It was my experience with a Sage Oracle, which is a similar machine. Generally the grinders are the weak link in terms of consistency and clumping, plus light roast are less forgiving to dial in regardless, in my experience. That being said it is a different machine and with good puck preparation you can overcome this.

Buying a dark roast from a decent roaster shouldn’t be an oily, bitter bean. It can still have those fruity flavours and if you are having milk based drinks a darker roast works well.

It’s a beaut of a machine and I’m sure you will be knocking out delicious flat whites that put the local coffee shops to shame!

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    It was my experience with a Sage Oracle, which is a similar machine. Generally the grinders are the weak link in terms of consistency and clumping, plus light roast are less forgiving to dial in regardless, in my experience. That being said it is a different machine and with good puck preparation you can overcome this.

Buying a dark roast from a decent roaster shouldn’t be an oily, bitter bean. It can still have those fruity flavours and if you are having milk based drinks a darker roast works well.

It’s a beaut of a machine and I’m sure you will be knocking out delicious flat whites that put the local coffee shops to shame!

Ross
    Good advice re the oilyness Ross. First attempts were mixed but getting more tuned into the settings now. Great fun experimenting

Advice required - I've been gradually progressing along the better coffee route coming from Aeropress, to Alessi 9090 Moka pot. I've always fancied a coffee machine but as the only person in the house who drinks coffee it's never been a particularly popular discussion with the missus. However, of late that has been changing.

Now realistically I'm never going to be weighing my specially imported beans, selecting the best grind of the day on my expensive grinder before embarking on setting up my huge barista style machine for a short science experiment to get myself a cup of coffee. If I was single I might actually go down this particular path but I know that if I did so now then I would probably end up single anyway.

I had therefore always thought that at some point a Sage Barista Bean to Cup machine might grace our worktops. However, recent discussions have suggested that my wife would like to be able to make her friends a cup of nice coffee.......that's not going to happen with any Sage type machine trust me. Now my fall-back thoughts had always gone down the Sage Bambino Plus type route as an acceptably 'small' machine that would still produce the goods. I've never been much of a fan of 'pod' type machines, but.......

If I was to consider a 'pod' type machine..........what would the TZ collective recommend as being able to give me a lovely brew and yet be simplistic enough for my wife to operate???

I had Nespresso for 8 years and still have one for decaf and milk frothing. You cannot compare a pod machine to something like a real bean to cup.

I have a Jura ENA 8 Which I got in Costco one day by luck for about £450 and wouldn’t go back. They are still selling them on the Jura refurb site

https://juraoutlet.uk/products/ena-8-nordic-white

For milk I would recommend a Nespresso Aerofbino 4 (not the 3).

Craftsman
    We have the sage barista pro and its decent apart from the grinder very hard to dial it as it's a bit crap but does make very good coffee.

My wife is not keen on it so we have just bought a small Nespresso machine which makes a very nice coffee.

The biggest thing before buying for me is the price of the pod and if they make a coffee that you really like.

A couple of friends have a gussto thing and have a few coffees that I really like so that also might away me if I was buying one for a odd coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    We have the sage barista pro and its decent apart from the grinder very hard to dial it as it's a bit crap but does make very good coffee.

My wife is not keen on it so we have just bought a small Nespresso machine which makes a very nice coffee.

The biggest thing before buying for me is the price of the pod and if they make a coffee that you really like.

A couple of friends have a gussto thing and have a few coffees that I really like so that also might away me if I was buying one for a odd coffee

When you change the grind settings only do it WHILE it’s grinding - stops machine damage I believe

Craftsman
    When you change the grind settings only do it WHILE it’s grinding - stops machine damage I believe
    Thanks for that.

I find the settings a pain in the bum and often if I can be bothered there are also money manual settings if you remove the burrs but can be a pain to reseat.

Sometimes you just want a coffee no measuring timing etc.

A decent bean to cup the non porta filter kind might be the way to go.

Do you have one and did you buy a 'triple' porta filter is still use the double provided? I struggle to get over 17g in there with consistant results was really just wondering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    recent discussions have suggested that my wife would like to be able to make her friends a cup of nice coffee.......that's not going to happen with any Sage type machine trust me. Now my fall-back thoughts had always gone down the Sage Bambino Plus type route as an acceptably 'small' machine that would still produce the goods. I've never been much of a fan of 'pod' type machines, but.......

If I was to consider a 'pod' type machine..........what would the TZ collective recommend as being able to give me a lovely brew and yet be simplistic enough for my wife to operate???
    Take a look at some of the Melitta Perfect Milk machines. I owned one before moving to Sage. Bit of a middle ground between pod machine and a manual machine.
    You’ll still be able to use beans, you get the bean to cup and frothy milk… even my Mrs was able to use it.
    Don’t expect microfoam from the steamer though. Yeah it’ll do latte and cappuccino.. but you’ll not be doing artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Advice required - I've been gradually progressing along the better coffee route coming from Aeropress, to Alessi 9090 Moka pot. I've always fancied a coffee machine but as the only person in the house who drinks coffee it's never been a particularly popular discussion with the missus. However, of late that has been changing.

Now realistically I'm never going to be weighing my specially imported beans, selecting the best grind of the day on my expensive grinder before embarking on setting up my huge barista style machine for a short science experiment to get myself a cup of coffee. If I was single I might actually go down this particular path but I know that if I did so now then I would probably end up single anyway.

I had therefore always thought that at some point a Sage Barista Bean to Cup machine might grace our worktops. However, recent discussions have suggested that my wife would like to be able to make her friends a cup of nice coffee.......that's not going to happen with any Sage type machine trust me. Now my fall-back thoughts had always gone down the Sage Bambino Plus type route as an acceptably 'small' machine that would still produce the goods. I've never been much of a fan of 'pod' type machines, but.......

I had a Sage Nespresso Creatista Plus machine for a number of years which I loved, it has choice and simplicity within it's menu functions, and is very easy to operate once you have stored your preferences.
    I have now replaced it with a Grind One machine and Milk Frother, which I think is an even better machine (reviews confirm it is a highly rated machine in tests) and is as simple as a pod coffee machine can be. The Grind One has a very small footprint and is a very good looking machine, so your wife will likely approve. https://grind.co.uk/products/grind-machine

These would be my two recommendations for a good quality and simple to use pod machine, both produce very good results, Grind just edging it to the top spot for me based on pressure, consistency, simplicity and looks.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    I had a Sage Nespresso Creatista Plus machine for a number of years which I loved, it has choice and simplicity within it's menu functions, and is very easy to operate once you have stored your preferences.
    I have now replaced it with a Grind One machine and Milk Frother, which I think is an even better machine (reviews confirm it is a highly rated machine in tests) and is as simple as a pod coffee machine can be. The Grind One has a very small footprint and is a very good looking machine, so your wife will likely approve. https://grind.co.uk/products/grind-machine

These would be my two recommendations for a good quality and simple to use pod machine, both produce very good results, Grind just edging it to the top spot for me based on pressure, consistency, simplicity and looks.
    Have you tried their coffee pods? Very good blends indeed, and they're the only pods that are compostable.

As you say, great machine, (all metal), and the milk frother is the best around. Currently available at a 25% discount so even better value.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Have you tried their coffee pods? Very good blends indeed, and they're the only pods that are compostable.

As you say, great machine, (all metal), and the milk frother is the best around. Currently available at a 25% discount so even better value.
    Agreed, their pods are very good indeed, they are now the only ones I buy. The current 25% off site wide makes their machines and coffee good value. I took advantage of that yesterday to purchase more pods.