closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko pogue question

Seiko pogue question

I have a 1974 yellow pogue which I have sent off for the case to be restored, it has a couple of scratches on the glass so would be good to get a new one fitted at the same time.
    Any one know where to source a correct crystal for this year?
    I have asked the guy doing the restoration but I think he may just do the polishing works and seems ridiculously busy!

You'd probably be better off asking the question over on SCWF - It's a well trodden path (and potential minefield).

For example: Did I buy a fake Pogue crystal?

Master
    Cousins sell a Sternkreuz replacement for around £35. It's not a perfect copy as the beveled edge lacks the sharpness of the original, but most wouldn't notice.

Original nos crystals occasionally appear on Ebay but you'll pay at least £100 for one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll soon have Pogue glasses in stock.

Regards

Bry
    Last edited by Bry1975; 29th October 2022 at 18:09.

Master
    There are a couple of guys over there who do great crystal re polishing- keeping it all original

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    You'd probably be better off asking the question over on SCWF - It's a well trodden path (and potential minefield).

For example: Did I buy a fake Pogue crystal?
    I’ve had a Google and a bit of a search on ebay, I don’t really know enough to know if the one on it is correct - it was claimed to be all original when I got it from here a while back, so assumed to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    There are a couple of guys over there who do great crystal re polishing- keeping it all original
    Ah - it’s in Poland now, for the foreseeable future !

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Cousins sell a Sternkreuz replacement for around £35. It's not a perfect copy as the beveled edge lacks the sharpness of the original, but most wouldn't notice.

Original nos crystals occasionally appear on Ebay but you'll pay at least £100 for one.
    I probably wouldn’t notice, thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    I'll soon have Pogue glasses in stock.

Regards

Bry
    Are they correct for a 1974 model? Do you have a shop online

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Ah - it’s in Poland now, for the foreseeable future !
    Did you read this thread on SCWF ? Your opinion on this Pogue case restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Did you read this thread on SCWF ? Your opinion on this Pogue case restoration
    I hadn’t read that, have already sent it a week ago and I’m expecting a very long wait - so we will see.

It seems like a minefield of opinion on the re finishing, mine is in reasonable condition for the age but someone has dulled the edges with something in its life, or just worn it well.

I’ve ordered an uncle seiko president strap so it will get much more wear from me once I get it back in 2 years or whenever.

This is the watch, excuse the dust I was doing some diy that day.

Master
    I think that looks pretty good as it is, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I think that looks pretty good as it is, OP.
    It’s ok seen a whole lot worse ! but I went down an online rabbit hole of the zaratsu polishing technique and ended up wanting it sharp and polished up

Master
    It’s ok seen a whole lot worse ! but I went down an online rabbit hole of the zaratsu polishing technique and ended up wanting it sharp and polished up
    Fair enough, dial hands and insert look in great condition.

Did you send it to Lapinist? That guy does some amazing work, so it should be worth the wait.

I don't know much about Pogues, but if you're after vintage Seiko parts like a NOS crystal it's almost always worth checking out the Japanese auction sites.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Did you send it to Lapinist? That guy does some amazing work, so it should be worth the wait.

I don't know much about Pogues, but if you're after vintage Seiko parts like a NOS crystal it's almost always worth checking out the Japanese auction sites.
    I did yes, I was thinking his work might be overkill on a humble pogue but it will get worn a lot more once it’s done.

Not sure what you mean by Japanese auction sites? Like eBay Japan?

I did yes, I was thinking his work might be overkill on a humble pogue but it will get worn a lot more once it’s done.

Not sure what you mean by Japanese auction sites? Like eBay Japan?
    Cool. Should be coming back looking good as new then. Would you happen to know how long his wait time is and what he charges?

Japan doesn’t have Ebay. Their biggest auction site is Yahoo Japan, which works more or less like Ebay. You can use a proxy service like FromJapan or Buyee to bid and buy.

Looks like you need part number 330W18GN. There are some on Ebay starting around $100, but I’m no expert and can’t vouch for authenticity as fakes are out there according to a post above.