closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 91

Thread: Just stop oil and … Rolex dealership

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,182

    Just stop oil and … Rolex dealership

    Rolex Knightsbridge now sporting an orange paint job.

    The colour matches my Rubber B orange, but for the avoidance of doubt, this was nothing to do with me.

    https://twitter.com/talktv/status/15...UU7iM-F87Q568g

    Updated to add my Just Stop Oil watch.

    Last edited by joe narvey; 28th October 2022 at 11:16.

  2. #2
    Criminal damage.

    They're not encouraging support for their cause are they?



    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    7,374
    Maybe one day these brave warriors will get the recognition they so rightly deserve.
    Not in my lifetime though... absolute mugs, I hope there are some hefty fines dished out and their community service is refueling private planes

  4. #4
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,855
    Complete idiots, definitely not garnering public support.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,201
    It’s a millennialist cult - a hysterical new religion obsessed with the end of the world. More in common with The Moonies in their nut job hey day than any sort of respectable organisation pushing for actual sustainability. A symptom of our uber-woke, victim olympics times that prioritises respect for how people ‘feel’ regardless of how stupid or messed up in the head they are.

    The real scandal is the complete waste of space that Plod has turned out to be. Where are the trials and the jailings for conspiracy, criminal damage, domestic terrorism indeed? They have a right to peaceful protest but not a right to damage property or peoples livelihoods. The Met Commissioner and other police chiefs should be in the dock with them for dereliction of duty.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,288
    They’d be better spraying all the oil based plastic Halloween tat for sale in every shop which will be in landfill this time next week.

  7. #7
    Craftsman Paradiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    427
    Even though I consider myself to be a casual environmentalist, these groups just make everyone who fights for environmental issues look really bad.

    Yes I get that in order to get attention you need to do controversial and drastic measures however their targets for what can only be described as random vandalism are just dumb.

    What have long-dead artists done to support the oil industry? They pied the wax statue of King Charles, arguably the most vocal royal for the support of environmental issues.

    They should take it up against the oil companies directly but I doubt they have the guts to do that.

    Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Angle land
    Posts
    2,923
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    They’d be better spraying all the oil based plastic Halloween tat for sale in every shop which will be in landfill this time next week.
    ...... and all the stores selling plastic tat for any occasion. I have told my kids that I will not buy far eastern plastic toys for the grandkids or have any far eastern plastic "stuff" furnishing my house. It's bad enough that it is plastic in the first place but to then transport it half way around the world, sell it and then take it back again for recycling is just plain stupidity! Just watch the childrens programmes/ads on the telly to see how they are being brainwashed into having this rubbish bought for them. Try making something with/for children and watch them come to life and grow! My grandson still asks for the car ramp (an old HP printer box ) to drive his cars on! It has outlasted the printer that was in the box!

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    What have long-dead artists done to support the oil industry?
    Not the ones who painted in watercolour but some used oils. Evil Van Gogh, and Co.!

  10. #10
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,580
    There was a video on reddit of quite an articulate lady trying to reason with one of them in the street. The guy didn't have two braincells to rub together...it was like trying to have a reasoned discussion with a toddler. I don't think they put much thought into their strategy beyond getting attention.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    There was a video on reddit of quite an articulate lady trying to reason with one of them in the street. The guy didn't have two braincells to rub together...it was like trying to have a reasoned discussion with a toddler. I don't think they put much thought into their strategy beyond getting attention.
    How dare you talk that way about young Tarquin. He has a degree in Gender Studies from the University of Bums on Seats!

  12. #12
    Surely it's not too hard to prosecute these morons, easily identifiable and not exactly a hard case to prove

  13. #13
    The Van Gogh was okay but they've gone too far now.

  14. #14
    Grand Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    10,179
    Blog Entries
    5
    How difficult is it?

    Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.



  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    How difficult is it?
    Calm down boss.

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South East, UK
    Posts
    398

    Just stop oil and … Rolex dealership

    Perhaps wires got crossed somewhere when they were really planning to hit the McLaren showroom next door?
    Last edited by Litcan91; 28th October 2022 at 15:14.

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by stuchyg View Post
    Surely it's not too hard to prosecute these morons, easily identifiable and not exactly a hard case to prove
    The trouble is that most of us sympathise with their beliefs but feel that the method of protests is misguided. If they are prosecuted we make the martyrs of them and then more of them will commit similar acts. I suspect this is why they do it.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    4,353
    Blog Entries
    1
    They would soon move when drenched with water especially as it gets colder.

  19. #19
    Grand Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,062
    Bloody idiots. I fear if I met one, I would be the one arrested.

    Everything is connected to oil, our current world has been made because of it.

    I'm all for alternative energy sources, but net zero 2050 is a bloody joke / calamitous promise.

    We need to learn to walk before we start running!

  20. #20
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    41,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Bloody idiots. I fear if I met one, I would be the one arrested.

    Everything is connected to oil, our current world has been made because of it.

    I'm all for alternative energy sources, but net zero 2050 is a bloody joke / calamitous promise.

    We need to learn to walk before we start running!
    The journey is a long one and we have a lot to do and a lot to learn - spray painting stuff for media attention is going to fix the square root of FA.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  21. #21
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    4,072
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    They would soon move when drenched with water especially as it gets colder.
    Maybe not water. I'm sure they wouldn't sit for long covered in wee. Or I suppose that's assault.

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    dunfermline fife
    Posts
    1,195
    Not sure if it was this attack but saw that one of the protestors was from Glasgow, how did he travel the country, on foot, cycle, doubt it, he'd be on a transport using gas/oil somehow.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    41,130
    The irony is that Rolex puts a lot of effort into projects to benefit the planet and mankind.

    https://www.rolex.org/rolex-awards/l...excom_rolexorg
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,101

    I intend to join the movement. It looks great. You can run around the streets throwing stuff and just doing anything you like and get away with it. lol lol lol. I might even start my own movement, the robbery for the planet movement. It allows members to commit robberies without consequences but only for environmental reasons. lol lol
    Last edited by johny; 28th October 2022 at 16:40.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The irony is that Rolex puts a lot of effort into projects to benefit the planet and mankind.

    https://www.rolex.org/rolex-awards/l...excom_rolexorg
    Exactly this. They’re fundamentally anarchists, it won’t be too long before multinationals realise funding cultural and environmental projects doesn’t offer any reward. Environmentalism is going to become polarised and with multinationals and the less radicalised individual no longer welcome.

    Also, I wonder how the institutions like the TATE are going to keep going without BP money.

    I’d wager >95% of the population despise them.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    2,053

    Just stop oil and … Rolex dealership

    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    I intend to join the movement. It looks great. You can run around the streets throwing stuff and just doing anything you like and get away with it. lol lol lol. I might even start my own movement, the robbery for the planet movement. It allows members to commit robberies but only for environmental reasons. lol lol
    21st century’s Robin Hood. Rob the hard working to pay ______

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    1,101

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    21st century’s Robin Hood. Rob the hard working to pay ______
    For environmental reasons I will be retaining all the proceeds.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    London/Surrey
    Posts
    349
    Do these morons have jobs. They have too much time on their hands


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    13,135
    Blog Entries
    1
    Meanwhile:

    https://esd.copernicus.org/articles/12/601/2021/

    It's all very well mocking folks who try to do something however incompetently and it's true that our present was largely powered by carbon sources, but when the overwhelming majority of the scientific community have been pulling their hair out for decades, warning us that the point of no, or at least very very hard return, was coming. It's not as if it's not common knowledge that the lobbying power of the oil companies has done the same water muddying job done over smoking, preservatives and so on. However, everyone seems to think that they are not affected by this propaganda, while spouting it.

    Ironically, of course, Rolex go way, way beyond greenwashing, because Wilsdorf really was a visionary.

    https://newsroom.rolex.com/world-of-...rpetual-planet

    For example.

    However, raising awareness is raising awareness. However incompetently.

  30. #30
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,383
    Coming to a sudden stop with fossil fuels, without real alternatives, seems a bit silly. Mind you most of them would probably have found another cause to protest about if it wasn't this one.

    We can't all sit in an earth house, smoking weed, and waiting for a lettuce to die a natural death so we can eat it. Our society just doesn't function that way. If they feel that strongly why don't they try to find alternatives to products and energy that use oil. Something positive.

    Me, I'm off to meet up with some friends.........

    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  31. #31
    I see why they’d target Shell or BP, but this is bizarre. Guess they’re anti-anything capitalist too?

    Good colour combo OP. Very on trend too.

  32. #32
    I also love the person who replied to the Tweet with “there’s no watches in there anyway” - cracked me up

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    3,241
    I get that this doesn't seem the right way to make their case but it is creating discussion and I think that's their objective. Is it ideal, no. Is there a note productive route, maybe not.

    If you're not a climate change denier, which I'm not, then I can understand the absolute frustration with the pace of change and the potentially catastrophic consequences that we are continuing to 'lock in'.

  34. #34
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Not sure if it was this attack but saw that one of the protestors was from Glasgow, how did he travel the country, on foot, cycle, doubt it, he'd be on a transport using gas/oil somehow.
    That's a complete non-argument. Means justify the ends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The irony is that Rolex puts a lot of effort into projects to benefit the planet and mankind.

    https://www.rolex.org/rolex-awards/l...excom_rolexorg
    Like lots of companies- just virtue signalling. You usually find that their charity/environmental 'campaign' is managed by the company Brand Manager.

    Bottom line - The world NEEDS pressure groups, and when they don't make a difference - then you get activists.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Meanwhile:

    https://esd.copernicus.org/articles/12/601/2021/

    It's all very well mocking folks who try to do something however incompetently and it's true that our present was largely powered by carbon sources, but when the overwhelming majority of the scientific community have been pulling their hair out for decades, warning us that the point of no, or at least very very hard return, was coming. It's not as if it's not common knowledge that the lobbying power of the oil companies has done the same water muddying job done over smoking, preservatives and so on. However, everyone seems to think that they are not affected by this propaganda, while spouting it.

    Ironically, of course, Rolex go way, way beyond greenwashing, because Wilsdorf really was a visionary.

    https://newsroom.rolex.com/world-of-...rpetual-planet

    For example.

    However, raising awareness is raising awareness. However incompetently.
    And how does raising awareness help if it alienates the intended audience. I’d argue awareness has been raised, now lead with examples of what to do, demonstrated by self sacrifice.

    For all those raising awareness of the climate cause what have you done in the last year to help that so others know what to do?

    Every activist should have a verified signature containing the car they drive, size of their house, air miles travelled, total wealth (yes there’s an opportunity cost to this) etc. The sad truth is the general population work hard and they smell BS which is regularly reinforced with the normal hypocrisy shown by celebrity’s

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,562
    And as ever the elephant in the room is hardly mentioned for some reason.

    You can produce as much data as you want but if you don't include the increase in human population it's not worth jack shit.

    The global population has grown from 1 billion in 1800 to 7.9 billion in 2020. The UN projected population to keep growing, and estimates have put the total population at 8.6 billion by mid-2030, 9.8 billion by mid-2050 and 11.2 billion by 2100

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That's a complete non-argument. Means justify the ends.



    Like lots of companies- just virtue signalling. You usually find that their charity/environmental 'campaign' is managed by the company Brand Manager.

    Bottom line - The world NEEDS pressure groups, and when they don't make a difference - then you get activists.
    Quite right, consequentialism, just as Lenin and Stalin believed means justified the ends. Or perhaps the way torture was rationalised in the Spanish Inquisition. With arguments like these and the physical acts of destruction and intimidation that have only just started it won’t be long until everyone agrees with us!!! And if they don’t I’ll do my best to cancel their voices anyway.

  38. #38
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Quite right, consequentialism, just as Lenin and Stalin believed means justified the ends. Or perhaps the way torture was rationalised in the Spanish Inquisition. With arguments like these and the physical acts of destruction and intimidation that have only just started it won’t be long until everyone agrees with us!!! And if they don’t I’ll do my best to cancel their voices anyway.
    We're talking about people taking public or private transport to a demonstration/protest - not jumping in a tank to annexe Poland FFS !!!

    Torture! Oh sweet jesus!!!

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    2,053

    Just stop oil and … Rolex dealership

    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    We're talking about people taking public or private transport to a demonstration/protest - not jumping in a tank to annexe Poland FFS !!!

    Torture! Oh sweet jesus!!!
    I was simply agreeing with your argument your, end justifies the means, statement . Stay strong
    Last edited by Rodder; 28th October 2022 at 18:37.

  40. #40
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I was simply agreeing with your argument that end justifies the means. Stay strong

    Sorry - completely misread your post.


  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    4,462
    Blog Entries
    1
    Seems an odd target - I'd have thought the HQ of <BIG OIL COMPANY> may have been a more appropriate target ...

  42. #42
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,619
    The AD was probably quite pleased - hid the fact there were no watches on display.

  43. #43
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    41,130
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    The AD was probably quite pleased - hid the fact there were no watches on display.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,317
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    There was a video on reddit of quite an articulate lady trying to reason with one of them in the street. The guy didn't have two braincells to rub together...it was like trying to have a reasoned discussion with a toddler. I don't think they put much thought into their strategy beyond getting attention.
    I’m glad someone challenged them

  45. #45
    Probably the AD refused to put him "on the list", no spend history apparently......

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    For environmental reasons I will be retaining all the proceeds.
    Ah, trickle-down-economics, I see your thinking. Bound to work.

  47. #47
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    20,281
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Probably the AD refused to put him "on the list", no spend history apparently......

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Could be and in the absence of a letterbox, the chap took the only recourse available.

  48. #48
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    12,903
    Normally I don’t condone violence but some of these scum apparently got a good kicking by some drivers when they blocked a road and refused to move. Utter clowns. I mean what do they think spraying a Rolex window will do for stopping oil. Surely with silicone in the movements Rolex are doing their bit for oil reduction

  49. #49
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Normally I don’t condone violence but some of these scum apparently got a good kicking by some drivers when they blocked a road and refused to move. Utter clowns. I mean what do they think spraying a Rolex window will do for stopping oil. Surely with silicone in the movements Rolex are doing their bit for oil reduction
    I would guess their argument is that some self rich person is needlessly buying a watch, not so much to tell the time but purely as a status symbol, and in doing so are damaging the climate and the environment. This is ghastly when people are having to sleep rough etc.

    Also frustrated as those drivers may be, there is no excuse for kicking a protestor and they could find themselves up in court for doing so.

    Democracy works both ways whether we like it or not.

    I will agree, however, that although their vision is laudable, their style of protest does them no credit and there are far better ways of putting their POV across.

  50. #50
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    12,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I would guess their argument is that some self rich person is needlessly buying a watch, not so much to tell the time but purely as a status symbol, and in doing so are damaging the climate and the environment. This is ghastly when people are having to sleep rough etc.

    Also frustrated as those drivers may be, there is no excuse for kicking a protestor and they could find themselves up in court for doing so.

    Democracy works both ways whether we like it or not.

    I will agree, however, that although their vision is laudable, their style of protest does them no credit and there are far better ways of putting their POV across.
    If I’m rushing to hospital with an ill child or a pregnant wife and some unwashed cretin is sat in the middle of the road and refusing to move when told of this, then they would be physically removed instantly. Zero hesitation and zero limit on amount of force used. Their agenda and desire for publicity has nothing to do with deliberately stopping people getting to hospitals - and there have been evidenced occasions when they have done just that despite being told the situation. At that point they lost any shred of credibility they might have had.

    Democracy encourages and permits the right to protest - it does not permit the right to flagrantly break the laws of the land while doing so. Any violence meted out to these deviants is a separate issue and both parties should be dealt with separately by the police.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information