closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rear Shunt - advice

Rear Shunt - advice

On my way to the office this morning someone ran into the back of me at a roundabout.
    He thought I was going but I wasn't so low speed impact.
    Damage to my car looks very superficial although his was worse.
    I have some scuffs to the bumper and a couple of light impressions showing through presumably from the bumper support frame.
    Panel fit all look ok.
    I have all his details and all perfectly amicable.

Not sure what to do.
    Go down the insurance route and tell them what happened and get their advice.
    Get it assessed somewhere independently, although not sure where.
    Get the bumper damage repaired at his cost and don't inform the insurance company.

Any advice gratefully received.

Yes just leave it with your insurers.

Master
    100% leave with insurers

You are obliged to tell your insurers anyway so it’s best leave it with them.

I had the same back in July. Dutifully informed the insurers and gave them all the driver's details. I'm still waiting to hear how they're going to repair my car.

1st Central in case anyone's interested. I'll never use them again. Useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I had the same back in July. Dutifully informed the insurers and gave them all the driver's details. I'm still waiting to hear how they're going to repair my car.

Are you using a provided hire car? This sort of nonsense is why premiums are so high.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    You are obliged to tell your insurers anyway so it’s best leave it with them.

This in bold but after you have had a conversation with his insurer.

You can contact his insurer & ask if they would like to undertake the necessary repairs or if you have a preferred repairer in mind tell them that’s who you would like to use.

They will often prefer this route as it minimises costs & avoided an accident management company & the associated costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are you using a provided hire car? This sort of nonsense is why premiums are so high.
    Nope, but I know what you mean. The only party to contact me immediately after telling my insurer was Enterprise Car Hire, and they've been phoning me every week ever since, obviously chasing easy money.

My car still drives and the boot shuts so I guess I'm not a priority. I need to make sure it isn't classed as a claim because I've received sweet FA for my troubles.

Just bear in mind it’ll be a declarable claim and will affect your premium (even as a no fault claim).

As others have suggested, advise your own insurer for information purposes only if you don’t intend to use their services.

I’ve been involved a few non fault claims and have always gone directly to the third party insurer. They usually have a third party capture team who will deal with your claim. They’ll allow you to use your own chosen garage to repair your vehicle.

If you want any help or advice, drop me a PM. I used to be an RTA insurance solicitor in a previous life…

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I had the same issue and the third parties insurer reached out on the same day and dealt with the issue, collection, hire car and return delivery.

Obviously I informed my insurer.

B

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post

Get the bumper damage repaired at his cost and don't inform the insurance company.
    Whatever happened to this which was the norm in a situation like this. I'm surprised no one has mentioned your sore back and neck yet.

Master
    On my way to the office this morning someone ran into the back of me at a roundabout.
    I have some scuffs to the bumper and a couple of light impressions showing through presumably from the bumper support frame.
    Panel fit all look ok.

Not sure what to do.

This is my default setting, no uplift in premiums across the fleet for the next few years. Get a figure ask for a transfer and if not forthcoming in a couple of days inform insurance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just bear in mind it’ll be a declarable claim and will affect your premium (even as a no fault claim).
    Incorrect info Tony, it’s often posted. If the other party admits liability, there is no inward effect. Based on my recent experiences and a few friends in similar positions.

I was stationary on a roundabout this summer when someone tried to squeeze past me. They failed & caught my rear offside.

Family owned company & van. They tried to do a cash payment to my repair company of choice but was 4 times their excess, so went insurance route.

I was worried from what I’d read about increases due to an no fault, but as long as all costs are recovered there isn’t an increase. Or at least in my case.

Insurer at the time quoted the deem price as last year, but still managed to get it cheaper elsewhere. Scarily for half the price I’d paid the year before! £154 for 8k miles on a Cayman GTS seems a bargain to me.

I think it may have changed over the years, or the internet has made it easier to all discuss. I am sure in my youth my insurance went up as the - if I have been hit by another driver, I am more likely to be hit again - logic has perhaps been replaced with some better AI algorithms.

Craftsman
    Panel fit all look ok.

Not sure what to do.

Going down the direct route can be more hassle than it’s worth. You get the estimate from a garage, they (the third party) want you to get a couple more estimates, then they start haggling, then ignoring you.

Honestly save the pain and go through insurers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

My daughter had her car backed into six weeks ago, cctv clearly shows the car & driver & they admitted liability on the spot.

She’s with Admiral & they are using a third party company. I contacted them & was told could be new year before repaired WTF!

Was told good job not a mini could be June 23!

Admiral full comp protected bonus worth FA, won’t be using them again in the future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    As others have suggested, advise your own insurer for information purposes only if you don’t intend to use their services.

I’ve been involved a few non fault claims and have always gone directly to the third party insurer. They usually have a third party capture team who will deal with your claim. They’ll allow you to use your own chosen garage to repair your vehicle.

If you want any help or advice, drop me a PM. I used to be an RTA insurance solicitor in a previous life…
    So should my daughter contact the drivers insurance company direct & will this speed up the process?
    Six weeks is taking the pi55 any advice on how to speed up repairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Incorrect info Tony, it’s often posted. If the other party admits liability, there is no inward effect. Based on my recent experiences and a few friends in similar positions.

I was stationary on a roundabout this summer when someone tried to squeeze past me. They failed & caught my rear offside.

Family owned company & van. They tried to do a cash payment to my repair company of choice but was 4 times their excess, so went insurance route.

I was worried from what I’d read about increases due to an no fault, but as long as all costs are recovered there isn’t an increase. Or at least in my case.

Insurer at the time quoted the deem price as last year, but still managed to get it cheaper elsewhere. Scarily for half the price I’d paid the year before! £154 for 8k miles on a Cayman GTS seems a bargain to me.

I think it may have changed over the years, or the internet has made it easier to all discuss. I am sure in my youth my insurance went up as the - if I have been hit by another driver, I am more likely to be hit again - logic has perhaps been replaced with some better AI algorithms.
    That’s interesting, Matt - not my experience but perhaps things are moving in a more sensible direction.I certainly know that making the writing of premiums both more efficient and more accurate through the use of AI is seen as the future where I work.

I’d still worry about declaring a claim when shopping around though, although I guess there are ways of determining the extent to which it’s been costed as a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    My daughter had her car backed into six weeks ago, cctv clearly shows the car & driver & they admitted liability on the spot.

She’s with Admiral & they are using a third party company. I contacted them & was told could be new year before repaired WTF!

Was told good job not a mini could be June 23!

Admiral full comp protected bonus worth FA, won’t be using them again in the future.
    I have had previous (bad) experiences with the 'third party' situation. Repair was delayed, pi$$ poor and there were ongoing issues. Price one pays for going for a competitive quote in my case - never again.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thanks for all the comments.
    Much appreciated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I have had previous (bad) experiences with the 'third party' situation. Repair was delayed, pi$$ poor and there were ongoing issues. Price one pays for going for a competitive quote in my case - never again.
    Cheers Chris, looking that way I popped the car over to them last Friday as they were trying to diagnose damage from photos!
    That did not inspire confidence, then on arrival it’s a huge ex Sytner complex with damaged cars parked everywhere.
    Talking to reception too many damaged cars & not enough body shops left after the covid saga!

OP, once you answer yes to the question, have you had an accident or claim in the last five years? Your insurance is going up, irrelevant of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    So should my daughter contact the drivers insurance company direct & will this speed up the process?
    Six weeks is taking the pi55 any advice on how to speed up repairs?
    Quite by coincidence I was at a car repairers today, one that is approved by a number of car manufacturers. Their car park was completely full of partly-repaired vehicles and the reason for that is the lack of replacement body parts, resulting in them being virtually unable to take on any new work in the weeks ahead. They commented on this situation being across most European supplies, but particularly bad with Japanese/far east manufacturers.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If it all goes wrong then better the insurance company is in control.
    It's what you pay for.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Not my experience. Flat with underground car park, my car was parked in my allocated bay. A neighbour was in a rush and scraped past my parked car. Admitted it, went through his insurance, an obvious no fault for me. My insurance premium has been higher for as long as the incident was declared (and this can be easily demonstrated using dummy data in comparison sites).

That doesn't bode well, I've been with them for 5 years, but never had to claim - very reasonable monthly premium, and the reviews seemed good at the time. I'll take another look ... Hope they sort you out eventually !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That’s interesting, Matt - not my experience but perhaps things are moving in a more sensible direction.I certainly know that making the writing of premiums both more efficient and more accurate through the use of AI is seen as the future where I work.

I’d still worry about declaring a claim when shopping around though, although I guess there are ways of determining the extent to which it’s been costed as a risk.
    I used the Meerkat site, simply entered the date of accident, cost and who was at fault. Nothing more complicated than that & checked it with dummy data to make sure - as I wanted the company to offset my future losses from their driver.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Not my experience. Flat with underground car park, my car was parked in my allocated bay. A neighbour was in a rush and scraped past my parked car. Admitted it, went through his insurance, an obvious no fault for me. My insurance premium has been higher for as long as the incident was declared (and this can be easily demonstrated using dummy data in comparison sites).
    As per my above post, I also did the quotes with and without a claim. No difference for me in this. Your post sounds as though it was not recent, so perhaps the AI model is not retrospective.

Craftsman
    I had the same scenario recently - a low speed, rear ending after I had stopped at a mini-roundabout. I let my insurers sort it all out; I recently renewed my insurance, and there was no change to my premium or no claims bonus.

The worst thing about the whole experience was all the paperwork I had to fill in for the replacement hire car whilst my car was being repaired. I only had the hire car for a day, but I would not have been surprised if they had wanted my inside leg measurement, along with everything else they asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    That doesn't bode well, I've been with them for 5 years, but never had to claim - very reasonable monthly premium, and the reviews seemed good at the time. I'll take another look ... Hope they sort you out eventually !
    Cheers. Sounds like it might not be entirely their fault but some communication would be good. It's me doing all the chasing.

In my experience it also depends on how soon your renewal for your insurance is. If the case is pending during renewal time, even if they have admitted liability, your going to end up paying more.

Master

1st Central here too and I had a similar shunt to the OP last year.

It was around 10 days for my car to be evaluated by the repairer, then a week later it was booked in with a courtesy car provided by Enterprise.

No complaints here about 1st Central.

Well, apart from my premium going up by 25% this year, their approved repair centre who needed two attempts to get the paint to match, or Enterprise who figured a 7 seat Ford Galaxy was a like-for-like replacement for an MX5...

Insurance route. All day long