closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishwashers

Dishwashers

Can anyone recommend a good dishwasher? Our 20yo Bosch is written off after a few years of small repairs due to a motor ground fault as it would be 160 for the relevant part.

I would like to buy an energy efficient device given increasing energy costs and am considering spending around 1000 to get an entry level Miele that is A+++ efficiency rated due to their reputation. On the other hand i could buy a higher end Bosch or Samsung or similar for quite a bit less. Repairability is very important to me and i have found the Bosch relatively easy to work on.

Any thoughts?

Apologies to those who find such mundane threads tedious!

Dishwashers

I predict 150 replies, with tales of woe and tales of joy from the same manufacturers

You might well be right. I have looked on the ukwhitegoods forum which was helpful with repairs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have AEG dishwasher,it’s been ok as far at four years old.

There are a hell of a lot are the same machine - just badged differently. My Bosch is the same as my sister's NEFF, I think

BUT - check that the baskets work with your plate/glass heights (if you put glasses in the machine). I didn't and with the cutlery tray at the top - the top basket doesn't take my larger glasses.

Otherwise - check "Which" recommendations.

The answer is always Neff unless you want to spend Miele money

Master
    Have you considered an ‘inferior’ brand costing 1/4 of the price ? It may cost you £25 a year more to run but if it breaks in say 3 years and you can’t fix it just replace it - you’ll probably be quids in

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Have you considered an ‘inferior’ brand costing 1/4 of the price ? It may cost you £25 a year more to run but if it breaks in say 3 years and you can’t fix it just replace it - you’ll probably be quids in
    There is an element of sense in that, as long as getting old out/new in - isn't ardious. (Or it breaks down on Christmas eve)..............

Journeyman
    We have a Miele, worked great for years. Good kit!
    Last edited by bigup; 26th October 2022 at 11:38.

Master
    Miele is best and well worth the money. I have one in the UK and another in Spain, both are faultless.

Dishwashers

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    You might well be right. I have looked on the ukwhitegoods forum which was helpful with repairs.
    I will bite though.

If the dishwasher is in the kitchen you’ll want a very quiet one with lots of sound deadening.

For this reason, the fact that our last Bosch lasted 15 years and we bought a mid range Series 4 Bosch for about £470, figuring that if it just lasted 10 years it is only 13p/day.

It is 46 dB so whisper quiet (dB is a logarithmic scale, so the cheap one at 50-55 dB are a lot noisier).

Plus the eco 50 mode uses 0.8 kW of electricity on one cycle and cleans brilliantly.

We set it for the early hours of the morning to get cheap rate leccy at 17p/KW hour, so each wash cycle cost around 14p.

The series 4 fitted our remit of quiet, very energy efficient, not too expensive and generally excellent brand reliability.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

We've just extended our home and replaced the kitchen. Our last dishwasher was Bosch, and worked without fault for the 15 years we've lived there with very little in the way of cleaning, salts, and other maintenance. It was in when we bought the house, and was by no means new then. I guess it was well over 20 years old by the time we put it in the skip.

Naturally we've replaced it with another Bosch. The new one is quieter, more efficient and has a fence light that projects on the floor that tells you how long is left on the wash. In summary, if a brand has given you years of faultless service, why look elsewhere?

We have had the same Bosch dishwasher since we moved in about 25 years ago!

Never needed repair and owes me nothing.

If/when it needs replacing it will be another Bosch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If i can get a Bosch with decent energy efficiency I'd consider that. It looks like a Bosch A rated dishwasher is a similar price to the Mieles i am looking at.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 26th October 2022 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    If i can get a Bosch with decent energy efficiency I'd consider that. It looks like a Bosch A rated dishwasher is a similar price to the Mieles i am looking at.
    Miele's start at £1000. You can buy nearly two mid range Bosch's for that.

We bought one of these 3 months ago from John Lewis for £479. Price is now £599 - just shows you how inflation is running at a significant clip!

https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-seri...white/p5559004

Maybe one of these for £579 including the £50 cash back? As long as you don't mind a cutlery draw (I do!)

https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-seri...white/p5558202

You can go cheaper with Bosch, but they will be noisier, and then you start to creep into plastic (rather than stainless steel) innards when you go sub £400.

+1 for Miele. Ours does a little trick of opening the door slightly when it's finished. Helps with drying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    There are a hell of a lot are the same machine - just badged differently. My Bosch is the same as my sister's NEFF, I think

BUT - check that the baskets work with your plate/glass heights (if you put glasses in the machine). I didn't and with the cutlery tray at the top - the top basket doesn't take my larger glasses.

Otherwise - check "Which" recommendations.
    This! Our plates are slightly too large to fit in the lower plate area. We have to put them in diagonally to get it to work. This is a NEFF, nonissue with the last AEG one.

Have a look at what other features could be of interest. As an example, I can remove the top tray, put a special plastic spray thing onto the rear wall and wash up bbq grills (BGE XL size, so large!) as well as pans etc. really useful.

Craftsman
    Obvs there will be a range within a brand but I would confidently buy Bosch or AEG again having had their white goods for over a decade and still going. Hotpoint, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    +1 for Miele. Ours does a little trick of opening the door slightly when it's finished. Helps with drying.
    Useful, unless you have a chipboard-style worktop with veneer on it (or even natural wood) - the steam will delaminate or split the worktop over time.

Best dishwasher I ever had was an ASKO (by ASEA) - even had a plate-warming function if you were doing a huge dinner.

Craftsman
    Have just bought another Bosch after moving house, would certainly recommend getting another one.

I find Ao.com have some decent bargains on their eBay page (ao-outlet) for items that have been returned (picked up a RRP £950 Bosch dishwasher for £500 with 5 year warranty).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/aooutlett...at=36619749011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mrsammyp; 29th October 2022 at 10:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Useful, unless you have a chipboard-style worktop with veneer on it (or even natural wood) - the steam will delaminate or split the worktop over time.

Best dishwasher I ever had was an ASKO (by ASEA) - even had a plate-warming function if you were doing a huge dinner.
    You should fit wide aluminium foil tape or a metal protector strip to the underside of the counter top

Craftsman
    I've just fitted a Hotpoint integrated dishwasher at home.
    Cost £225-00 with discount.
    It gets decent reviews, so we shall see how it goes.

I've never broken down and I've been washing up in our house for the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    We have AEG dishwasher,it’s been ok as far at four years old.
    Pretty sure we've just bought one by AEG, yup just checked the packaging it's an AEG, fingers crossed it'll be out of the garage and in the new kitchen end of next week.

One thing to look for in my opinion is the noise decibel level. Some of the modern ones are near silent and much nicer than the noisy ones of the past

Master
    We recently got rid of our 15 year old Miele which has been brilliant. Faced with the decision to spend approx £300 to repair it, we replaced it with a Siemens. I did consider another Miele, but having read as many reviews as possible, current models don’t appear to be as well made.
    I would recommend either a Siemens or Bosch (approx 700- 900 price range)which appear to be about the similar quality or alternatively what’s already been suggested, opt for a much cheaper one and be prepared to change it every 3-4 years,

Master
    Another vote for Neff. I like the cutlery tray at the top as no more baked on food that wasn't rinsed away in the basket and you literally scoop all the knives out together, etc rather than having to sort.

PS - this is one of THE ultimate first world problem threads!

Cheap and change every 3-4 years is the antithesis of my approach. Considering higher end Bosch, Siemens, etc now in addition to a Miele. Thanks all

Master
    I like the look of the drawer style Fisher & Paykel ones, but not enough to spend the £1500 price!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Another vote for Neff. I like the cutlery tray at the top as no more baked on food that wasn't rinsed away in the basket and you literally scoop all the knives out together, etc rather than having to sort.

PS - this is one of THE ultimate first world problem threads!
    I have a Neff and love the cutlery tray, I am still juggling with the height of the middle rack though as dinner plates on the bottom foul that middle spray arm which is a pain.
    Last edited by KavKav; 26th October 2022 at 19:42.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I like the look of the drawer style Fisher & Paykel ones, but not enough to spend the £1500 price!

I've a mate who has a Fisher & Paykel twin drawer dishwasher. Just use one drawer for a small load or both for a larger load.
    Great but of kit, looks the part too.
    Very modular construction for ease of servicing..... not that it's ever needed it.

Vote here for Mrs K, still going strong after good few years though can be noisy sometimes.

Seriously, have a Siemens, probably 10 years old now, would buy another.

Blog Entries
    Spent about £150 on a kenwood which was slight second…. Hasn’t missed a beat so far

F&P are a niche brand in the UK- they're more popular in New Zealand & Australia so parts are awkward to get.

Bosch are trading on their name only. I used to always be a Bosch fanboy but their aftersales is a disgrace and quality is poor. Double check where it's made and what other brand the appliance is twinned with to check reliability. If you notice the positive comments about Bosch relate to the appliance being years old.

I saw one of these in my local department store. For £1500 it had a plastic, rather than a stainless steel liner, like cheap dishwashers have these days.

It looks like you are paying for the looks, rather than any decent build quality.

Not sure about the dishwashers but I have a F&P fridge freezer and it's first class. Never heard of the brand before but that's what the last people had and I couldn't find a different fridge to fit the same gap so sucked it up. Not happy with the price but it is really good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    We recently got rid of our 15 year old Miele which has been brilliant. Faced with the decision to spend approx £300 to repair it, we replaced it with a Siemens. I did consider another Miele, but having read as many reviews as possible, current models don’t appear to be as well made.
    I would recommend either a Siemens or Bosch (approx 700- 900 price range)which appear to be about the similar quality or alternatively what’s already been suggested, opt for a much cheaper one and be prepared to change it every 3-4 years,
    You bought a Miele which lasted for 15 years. Now you are contemplating to buy something that lasts for 3-4 years. That is over using the worlds resources and you are screwing up the environment. Your grandchildren will look upon you as an environment rapist. Better to buy once rather than thrice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You bought a Miele which lasted for 15 years. Now you are contemplating to buy something that lasts for 3-4 years. That is over using the worlds resources and you are screwing up the environment. Your grandchildren will look upon you as an environment rapist. Better to buy once rather than thrice.
    Did you read (and comprehend) his post, he's bought a Siemens.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Did you read (and comprehend) his post, he's bought a Siemens.
    Yes I did but he also said - "I would recommend either a Siemens or Bosch (approx 700- 900 price range)which appear to be about the similar quality or alternatively what’s already been suggested, opt for a much cheaper one and be prepared to change it every 3-4 years,

In other words he condoned an alternative cheaper strategy that is less good for the environment.

Yes I did but he also said - "I would recommend either a Siemens or Bosch (approx 700- 900 price range)which appear to be about the similar quality or alternatively what’s already been suggested, opt for a much cheaper one and be prepared to change it every 3-4 years,

In other words he suggested an alternative strategy.
    But he's not contemplating buying one, which is what you said.

Master
    [QUOTE=Kingstepper;6093570]But he's not contemplating buying one, which is what you said.[/QUOTE

I used the word contemplating in his advice to others.

Sure.

Miele …….. get it bought and don’t waste your time with anything else.

Master
    [QUOTE=Mick P;6093574]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    But he's not contemplating buying one, which is what you said.[/QUOTE

You are correct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Another Miele here last 5 years, only thing I don't like is it takes nearly 2.5 hours to do an eco cycle compared to the 99 minutes on the previous Siemens

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Another Miele here last 5 years, only thing I don't like is it takes nearly 2.5 hours to do an eco cycle compared to the 99 minutes on the previous Siemens

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk
    My new Bosch 50 degC eco cycle takes 5 hours!!

Bought a second hand Neff s51t69x2gb, 12m old, off Facebook marketplace. Will let you know if it was a good decision or not in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Miele …….. get it bought and don’t waste your time with anything else.

For washing machines I mostly agree, with the exception of the two base models are made in Poland and have plastic outer tubs.

The made in Germany Miele washing machines are head and shoulders above the competition as they use stainless steel outer tubs and cast iron balancing weights.

For dishwashers I am not so sure they are worth twice the price of a Bosch or AEG. Dishwashers are not a severe service like washing machines.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've a mate who has a Fisher & Paykel twin drawer dishwasher. Just use one drawer for a small load or both for a larger load.
    Great but of kit, looks the part too.
    Very modular construction for ease of servicing..... not that it's ever needed it.
    I had one of the Fisher and Paykel 2 drawer dishwashers.
    Style over substance personified.
    Never done getting it repaired and eventually scrapped.
    Had their fridge/freezer too as mentioned by Willey. It was decent and lasted a good while.
    My Siemens dishwasher currently is about 10yrs old and never given any problems though I'm replacing my Siemens oven at the moment (needing repaired for the 3rd time) and I've gone for AEG due to getting a good deal on it.
    Really wanted the Meile but the pyrolitic cleaning was a must and the Miele with that function was more than I wanted to pay.
    I believe Bosch.Neff and Siemens are the same machines.

Craftsman
    Can’t go wrong with Miele.